Help with Guarantee only cabins.

madera1

We have been looking at the Inca Empire cruise segment March 30, 2015 from Lima to San Diego. I had found that I could only book a guarantee cabin and while chatting with a HAL person was told it was because it is the second half of a 30 day cruise beginning in San Diego. Has anyone ever experienced booking a cabin over a year out when you had no choice except for category? Is there a chance we could not even get a cabin? I have always booked a specific cabin and am somewhat nervous about taking just a guarantee.

What you are seeing is extremely common. Segmented cruises are sold for specific cabins for the whole cruise only. Segments are very often on a guarantee. only basis.

You would book a category guarentee (Ex: B Guarantee, HH Guarantee) and could get anything in that category or better. You are assured of being on the ship.

This is a great cruise!

Edited by SilvertoGold

As others have said, this is very common and not just with HAL. I've had a guarantee on every segment of a longer cruise I've ever booked on any cruise line. Right now I have guarantees for both the Crystal Serenity and the Amsterdam, and previously on Cunard.

Look at it for a minute from the point of view of somebody on the entire voyage. How would you like to book the entire Inca Empire cruise and be told several of your choice cabins are not available because they are booked for the first half and many others are not available because they are booked for the second half. That just isn't fair to those booked on the full cruise.

Taking a guarantee is part of the "cost" of booking a segment. These are generally very special voyages and to me worth that cost.

Roy

As others have said, this is very common and not just with HAL. I've had a guarantee on every segment of a longer cruise I've ever booked on any cruise line. Right now I have guarantees for both the Crystal Serenity and the Amsterdam, and previously on Cunard.

Look at it for a minute from the point of view of somebody on the entire voyage. How would you like to book the entire Inca Empire cruise and be told several of your choice cabins are not available because they are booked for the first half and many others are not available because they are booked for the second half. That just isn't fair to those booked on the full cruise.

Taking a guarantee is part of the "cost" of booking a segment. These are generally very special voyages and to me worth that cost.

Roy

This is very well explained.

One other drawback is that the cabins available for the segments are in the "not as good" locations for the most part.

Yes, getting a location you wanted to avoid can be an issue. But we almost always go with the guarantee to avoid added a expense. And we almost always find something to like about the location.

That is the attitude that works! We have been pleasantly surprised a lot of times with a new location that we wouldn't have tried out otherwise.

Thanks everyone for the explanation. We really like the itinerary but cannot go on on 30 day cruise as I am still working part time and we would hate to leave our dog for that long. I think we will study the deck plans closely and figure out what level to book a guarantee. Years ago when we were first cruising we booked a last minute cruise and got our cabin when we got to the port. We had taken our two daughters and ended up in a SMALL interior room in the very front of the ship. I couldn't do any worse this time and I will go for at least a verandah category.

I was looking at doing a partial South America on the Prinsendam for 2015. I found out that I could not pick a cabin, I could not get my AMEX Platinum benefits, no OBC, no pre-paid gratuities, and I would be wait listed for my dining preference, or anything else the full cruise people on the Grand Voyage got. Basically for a lot of money HAL was treating me as a second class citizen.

I looked at Oceania. Same segment as the Prinsendam. Just about the same ports. $2200 pp less in the same category cabin, which I could choose. I also received a sizable OBC, was able to get my AMEX platinum benefits, and many other amenities. The ship is virtually non-smoking and specialty restaurants and mini bars, coffee bars, are complimentary. Transfers included, and I can bring wine and spirits on board.

This to me was a no brainier, so I jumped ship and am going to O for this cruise.

Terri

I was looking at doing a partial South America on the Prinsendam for 2015. I found out that I could not pick a cabin, I could not get my AMEX Platinum benefits, no OBC, no pre-paid gratuities, and I would be wait listed for my dining preference, or anything else the full cruise people on the Grand Voyage got. Basically for a lot of money HAL was treating me as a second class citizen.

I looked at Oceania. Same segment as the Prinsendam. Just about the same ports. $2200 pp less in the same category cabin, which I could choose. I also received a sizable OBC, was able to get my AMEX platinum benefits, and many other amenities. The ship is virtually non-smoking and specialty restaurants and mini bars, coffee bars, are complimentary. Transfers included, and I can bring wine and spirits on board.

This to me was a no brainier, so I jumped ship and am going to O for this cruise.

Terri

That is pretty impressive!

Terri

Wow. Have you sailed Oceania before? As you said, it's a no-brainer. Must have felt like a slap in the face from HAL.

Nice deal for Oceania! I am puzzled why you cannot get AMEX OBC though, and HAL OBC for that matter. For several Grand Cruises, one in the Fall 2013, my husband has been a partial cruiser and I did the full thing. He most certainly did get a sizable OBC, although not as much as I did. While I do not have AMEX OBC, our travel agency did provide OBC for him, commensurate with the portion of the full cruise he was on. Of course the cabin was not an issue as I had one booked for the full cruise and he simply joined me.

Have a great time on Oceania. I have friends who really like it. I keep trying to find a cruise to give them a try but I simply have not been able to come even close to what I can do on HAL in terms of cost and itinerary.

Nice deal for Oceania! I am puzzled why you cannot get AMEX OBC though, and HAL OBC for that matter. For several Grand Cruises, one in the Fall 2013, my husband has been a partial cruiser and I did the full thing. He most certainly did get a sizable OBC, although not as much as I did. While I do not have AMEX OBC, our travel agency did provide OBC for him, commensurate with the portion of the full cruise he was on. Of course the cabin was not an issue as I had one booked for the full cruise and he simply joined me.

Have a great time on Oceania. I have friends who really like it. I keep trying to find a cruise to give them a try but I simply have not been able to come even close to what I can do on HAL in terms of cost and itinerary.

You cannot get the AMEX OBC because HAL will not permit it. They also will not pro rate the other early booking benefits either--at least for the Grand South America. The TA I am working with "specializes" in GVs and does a lot of HAL bookings and is used by many of the world cruisers. I do not doubt what I was told. Plus I did some digging on my own and found the written documentation.

The TA offered some OBC on HAL, but Oceania was a better deal with the lower fare, AMEX benefits! TA OBC and being able to choose my cabin.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

Hmmm. I hope this does not mean that things are once again changing. We have done several Grand Cruise segments and yes, we have had to wait for that guarantee cabin. On our last segment we were in Venice already before we were assigned a cabin, but we got the category we guaranteed in each case.

In terms of early booking benefits we did not get the hotel service charges or the luggage shipping - but we did get an on board credit which when added to our Carnival credit did us well..

Your post strikes fear in my heart as we love doing Grand Cruise segments since they begin and end in the US we save on cost and stress with only a one way air to an exotic port -- and we don't have to be away from home so long but still get that Grand Cruise experience and get to mingle with all the wonderful Grand Cruise folks. On board we have never felt like second class citizens. No one ever treated us that way.

Edited by arzz

Hmmm. I hope this does not mean that things are once again changing. We have done several Grand Cruise segments and yes, we have had to wait for that guarantee cabin. On our last segment we were in Venice already before we were assigned a cabin, but we got the category we guaranteed in each case.

In terms of early booking benefits we did not get the hotel service charges or the luggage shipping - but we did get an on board credit which when added to our Carnival credit did us well..

Your post strikes fear in my heart as we love doing Grand Cruise segments since they begin and end in the US we save on cost and stress with only a one way air to an exotic port -- and we don't have to be away from home so long but still get that Grand Cruise experience and get to mingle with all the wonderful Grand Cruise folks. On board we have never felt like second class citizens. No one ever treated us that way.

I never before booked a GV nor attempted to do so. I was totally surprised at the fact that none of the benefits would be pro rated. I could have lived with the guarantee cabin. Not the rest.

Terri