Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Hello Lars,

Thank you for your enthusiastic and generous advice... I read all 69 pages of your thread and your links. I must have missed this question:

If our family with two kids ages 10 and 8 wants to walk up and down the steps to Mt. Aksla, about how much time would that take? We had wanted to take the bus to the other hill,(Mt. U--I can't remember the name) and hike over. Would we still have time?

We arrive at 0930 and have a RIB boat tour at 1130.

Would we have to do this walk in the morning? Or should we walk after the RIB tour, which ends about 1330. Our cruiseship leaves at 1745.

Thank you!

To me this is more then just "sitting on a bus all day".

Lots of stunning scenery and things to take pictures of.

I would suggest this tour as its one of the most interesting. It will for sure "wow" you.

Does this tour have a name. What companies offer it? It sounds wonderful. We will be on Celebrity...

45 more days until we leave and after researching for a year and excited beyond words I'm getting nervous the closer it gets. lol. 3 days in Copenhagen and 2 days in Oslo on our own is making me nervous. My husband leaves all this researching and getting around up to me--friends tell me be grateful as then you get to see what you want to see. The thought of getting around by public transportation scares me. Us americans are spoiled and use our cars. I have found the applications Rome2rio and FetchMyWay applications for tablet and considering getting a sim card so we will have international access. The application tells you exactly how to get around--which bus--where to catch it--where to get off---etc. I think this application will take my fears away. Anybody else get nervous or get the sim card in order to have the application? I can't believe this vacation is now getting down to the end before it's a reality. I've waited for this for so long.

Linda

Hi Linda,

Don't be scared! Europe's public transportation system is wonderful, punctual and cheap. We were lucky to be able to spend 3 days in Copenhagen after a cruise a few years ago and loved it. Copenhagen is very "walkable", you really don't need a car. We actually rented bikes one day and had a blast. Can't speak as to Oslo, but I am sure it is similar. We never rent a SIM card for traveling, but I usually download or print out bus schedules I might need ahead of time. I found a website for Oslo

http://www.ruter.no

I have to agree with your friends. It is great to be the sole planner. My husband usually asks me in the morning "What are we going to see and do today "and I fill him in.

Hope this makes you feel more at ease

Regards

Petra

Thanks Petra---yep sounds like hubby--he has no idea where we are going--lol. That's reassuring on your post. I guess with the unknown brings some fears. I have read how easy it is etc. Thanks for the link--going to check it out.

Linda

btw I see we are kind of neighbors--pretty close to each other

Thank so much- we will now be in port twice so I booked this excision and have a day in Alesund! Will you help with another excursion question? We have two different days in Eidfjord. For one day we have booked a Sightseeing tour with coach to the waterfall Vøringsfossen and Hardangervidda Nature Centre. For the other day we can't decide between a few things and would love your advice.

1) renting a bike and biking to the Sima Powerplant + biking to the end of Simadal

2) hiking to Kjeåsen

Or

3) Holland Tour- waffles and Waterfalls -

Drive through the village of Eidfjord before you continue up the steep Måbødalen Valley. The old road to the top was once only four miles made up of an alarming series of hairpin bends carved into the mountainside. Today there is a new, safer route that leads to the enormous Hardanger Mountain Plateau -- the largest mountain plateau in Northern Europe and one of the few places in Norway where wild reindeer herds still live untended. Keep your eyes peeled; but they are elusive creatures, brilliantly camouflaged and, thus, are seldom seen. Stop for refreshments at Halne Mountain Lodge, about 30 miles from Eidfjord. The lodge is situated about 3,700 feet above sea level in the heart of the Hardanger Mountain Plain and its wooden interior is pleasantly welcoming. Coffee or tea and a homemade Norwegian waffle will be served with jam and sour cream, and be sure to check out the many items and photos from the area. Return to the Måbødalen Valley and stop at the Sysen Dam -- the main reservoir for the Sima Power Station and one of Norway's largest embankment dams. The dam’s watertight core is lined with filter zones of sand and gravel, weighted down and supported by large quantities of rock. The dam itself is more than a half-mile long, 265 feet tall and 813 feet wide at the bottom. Continue to Fossli to view the Vøringsfossen Waterfalls. You’ll take a short walk on an uneven path to the viewpoint. The majestic falls cascade almost 600 feet into the wild Måbø Valley below. Return to Eidfjord by way of the Måbødalen Valley.

We would repeat the same waterfall but may be worthwhile? Thanks for helping.

I suspect you will be eating your fare share of waffles(:D) so I would suggest the biking tour. How wonderful it will be to take in the scenery up close and at your own pace.

I have never been to the powerplant myself but it is one of the largest in Europe some 700 meters inside the mountain.

Sure it will be spectacular but will it compare to the natural beauty of Simadalen??

Please come back and tell us all about it.

Lars

Can you please tell me where I can get a detailed map of Eidfjord? For such a small town, I would like to explore it by foot. Walking tour map with details would be nice. Thanks!

Not sure how detailed you would like your map but Google came up with a few.;)

Alternativly you could email elin@visiteidfjord.no and ask for a tourist map.

Hello Lars,

Thank you for your enthusiastic and generous advice... I read all 69 pages of your thread and your links. I must have missed this question:

If our family with two kids ages 10 and 8 wants to walk up and down the steps to Mt. Aksla, about how much time would that take? We had wanted to take the bus to the other hill,(Mt. U--I can't remember the name) and hike over. Would we still have time?

We arrive at 0930 and have a RIB boat tour at 1130.

Would we have to do this walk in the morning? Or should we walk after the RIB tour, which ends about 1330. Our cruiseship leaves at 1745.

Thank you!

Respect to you on work well done:):)...

All depending on how fast your are but I would suggest calculation at least 30-40 minutes pr way.

Due to time and your tour I would suggest doing this in the afternoon giving you more time.

Does this tour have a name. What companies offer it? It sounds wonderful. We will be on Celebrity...

Its called Trollstigen or Path of the Trolls.

The cruise lines usually offers this. I know Celebrity does.

45 more days until we leave and after researching for a year and excited beyond words I'm getting nervous the closer it gets. lol. 3 days in Copenhagen and 2 days in Oslo on our own is making me nervous. My husband leaves all this researching and getting around up to me--friends tell me be grateful as then you get to see what you want to see. The thought of getting around by public transportation scares me. Us americans are spoiled and use our cars. I have found the applications Rome2rio and FetchMyWay applications for tablet and considering getting a sim card so we will have international access. The application tells you exactly how to get around--which bus--where to catch it--where to get off---etc. I think this application will take my fears away. Anybody else get nervous or get the sim card in order to have the application? I can't believe this vacation is now getting down to the end before it's a reality. I've waited for this for so long.

Linda

Linda - no reason to be nervous. You will have the time of your life.

Remember to remember to take it all in and enjoy every minute of it.

Linda, we stayed at Hotel Cecil and City Box when we were in Oslo. We could walk to the Central Train station and all major sites. All we needed was a map. From the main train station, you use Flytoget to the airport. Bergen is easy like that too.

In Copenhagen there is Tivoli and Storget pedestrian street near the train station. Buses are near the station. It is about a mile walk to Nyhaven from there. We got a Copenhagen card and had to use public transport to get to Frederickborg and Kronborg castle. We got a taxi to the cruise port

Linda

Thanks for the app information - those sound wonderful! I will get them as well.

I don't know anything about getting a sim card. I am planning on using my phone for maps and getting information I need. I would think most phones are capable of being used internationally these days - and most carriers have an international plan that would work for you. Verizon has a monthly plan and a daily plan.

Thanks all on the encouragement. I actually feel a bit better--today started mapping out the sites I want to see in Copenhagen and I don't think it will be bad at all. Get to the first location and start walking. Now how to figure out how to see all this without passing out from exhaustion. lol.

Linda

Hi All

We will be on the 12:20 Flam train to Myrdal returning at 13:37 in 3 weeks time.

I can't find any post here about which side of the train to sit to get the best view going up and down. Can anyone advise?

This thread has been very helpful, but I have to admit, I think I've missed a tip or ten after 65+ pages.

I hope you'll indulge a few questions regarding ports of call - and I apologize if these have been covered previously.

To give some context, we'll be cruising the Norwegian fjords via Holland America in June of this year. As we're a group of 4 - two adults, two children - we'd like to avoid the high prices of the ship excursions completely.

I am looking for reassurance that we'll be able to DIY at each of the following locations.

Eidfjord (June 14) -- Our plan is to go to the tourist office with the intent of visiting Voringfossen. It looks like there may be buses you can book that run every 30 minutes or so when ships are in port. Is this correct and is it definitely something we can book on-site at the tourist office?

Alesund (June 15) -- We thought the kids would enjoy the aquarium, and we'd also like to visit the museums in the art nouveau area. I'm not sure the 400+ steps are for us - but we would like to make sure we see the view from Mt. Aksla. I am figuring the hop-on/hop-off bus is our best bet - and I am assuming we can buy tickets at the tourist office here. Is that correct -- or are there other local/recommended tours we should investigate?

Geiranger (June 16) -- Our plan here is to do either the mountain highlights bus or the panorama bus (http://www.geirangerfjord.no/bus-turer-i-geiranger-2), as well as the waterfall walk and maybe fjordcenter. Can we wait and by bus tickets on site? I feel like our selection may be weather dependent, so I would prefer to wait until day-of -- unless these commonly sell out.

Our other stop is Bergen (June 17). Our plan there is to do the funicular, walk around the wharf, fish market and generally take in the sights. The one question here is whether this boat tour - http://www.rodne.no/fjord-cruise/from-bergen/ - would be a better option? I am not very familiar with the area, so unsure of whether getting a small taste of Bergen would be more memorable than this fjord tour.

Aside from the questions above, any opinions on whether we're really missing out on something spectacular at any of these ports? I know the big "attraction" we're neglecting is the trollstigen -- but I am not sure I can talk the kids into 8 hours on a bus.

Thank you in advance for your help and opinions. This will be our first family cruise and we're more than excited.

This thread has been very helpful, but I have to admit, I think I've missed a tip or ten after 65+ pages.

I hope you'll indulge a few questions regarding ports of call - and I apologize if these have been covered previously.

To give some context, we'll be cruising the Norwegian fjords via Holland America in June of this year. As we're a group of 4 - two adults, two children - we'd like to avoid the high prices of the ship excursions completely.

I am looking for reassurance that we'll be able to DIY at each of the following locations.

Eidfjord (June 14) -- Our plan is to go to the tourist office with the intent of visiting Voringfossen. It looks like there may be buses you can book that run every 30 minutes or so when ships are in port. Is this correct and is it definitely something we can book on-site at the tourist office?

Alesund (June 15) -- We thought the kids would enjoy the aquarium, and we'd also like to visit the museums in the art nouveau area. I'm not sure the 400+ steps are for us - but we would like to make sure we see the view from Mt. Aksla. I am figuring the hop-on/hop-off bus is our best bet - and I am assuming we can buy tickets at the tourist office here. Is that correct -- or are there other local/recommended tours we should investigate?

Geiranger (June 16) -- Our plan here is to do either the mountain highlights bus or the panorama bus (http://www.geirangerfjord.no/bus-turer-i-geiranger-2), as well as the waterfall walk and maybe fjordcenter. Can we wait and by bus tickets on site? I feel like our selection may be weather dependent, so I would prefer to wait until day-of -- unless these commonly sell out.

Our other stop is Bergen (June 17). Our plan there is to do the funicular, walk around the wharf, fish market and generally take in the sights. The one question here is whether this boat tour - http://www.rodne.no/fjord-cruise/from-bergen/ - would be a better option? I am not very familiar with the area, so unsure of whether getting a small taste of Bergen would be more memorable than this fjord tour.

Aside from the questions above, any opinions on whether we're really missing out on something spectacular at any of these ports? I know the big "attraction" we're neglecting is the trollstigen -- but I am not sure I can talk the kids into 8 hours on a bus.

Thank you in advance for your help and opinions. This will be our first family cruise and we're more than excited.

We are in Alesund today. As you exit the ship, they are selling tickets to the hop on/ hop off bus and the sightseeing train. We walked up about 200 steps on Mount Aksla and had some great views.

In Geiranger, the tour operators were selling bus tickets at the exit from the ship. The waterfall walk was amazing. And we really enjoyed the Fjordcenter. I think your children would learn a lot and have fun in the process.

Enjoy Norway!! It is a beautiful country.

My husband is not able to walk long distances and uses a transport chair. We would like to walk around in Bergen and just do our own thing in that port. I see cobblestones mentioned and was wondering if there are any smooth sidewalks or is everything going to be a very bumpy ride for him?

You can rent a car to do the Trollstigen - that way it is not an 8 hr. bus tour, you can stop when you need and want to. Also VERY economical for a family.

I am not to familiar with this port in south western Norway but as the site you want to visit is very familiar you could get tickets on site or I would imagine even online.

You can get tickets on the pier. There is a litte tent/booth. Expect long lines unless you run out first thing in the morning.

If you dont do all the 400+ steps at least try for a few.....

They do tend to sell out fast. Best think is to check online and it will tell you which departures are available. Most probably they will sell out.

I would concentrate on Bergen with the funicular, wharf etc...Even tho the fjord is beautiful you will enjoy other more stunning fjords.

As mentioned before you can rent a car and drive the Trollstigen...It would be fun and memorable. I am sure your kids will be to busy taking in the scenery etc so they would not get bored.

Sounds like you have planned some great days ashore.

I have made my comments in "red"

My husband is not able to walk long distances and uses a transport chair. We would like to walk around in Bergen and just do our own thing in that port. I see cobblestones mentioned and was wondering if there are any smooth sidewalks or is everything going to be a very bumpy ride for him?

The pavements are narrow and some parts do have cobblestones but I have heard from others using the same vehicle that they managed quiet well.

Respect to you on work well done:):)...

All depending on how fast your are but I would suggest calculation at least 30-40 minutes pr way.

Due to time and your tour I would suggest doing this in the afternoon giving you more time.

Thank you! Your advice is very helpful for us planning our day. :)

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I started to look at rental cars in Alesund today and had one more question... Are all rental cars manual transmission? I'm a little embarrassed to stay that might be a deal-breaker for us... Though maybe I just didn't look at enough rentals?