Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I started to look at rental cars in Alesund today and had one more question... Are all rental cars manual transmission? I'm a little embarrassed to stay that might be a deal-breaker for us... Though maybe I just didn't look at enough rentals?

We got an automatic. There are only 2 locations - so it might be possible they are all reserved?

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I started to look at rental cars in Alesund today and had one more question... Are all rental cars manual transmission? I'm a little embarrassed to stay that might be a deal-breaker for us... Though maybe I just didn't look at enough rentals?

The Budget an Avis is the rentals walking distance from the pier.

But, you also have "Sydsiden Bilutleie"/Europecar:

http://www.sydsidenbilutleie.no/site/index.php/kontakt-oss

Further away is Hertz.

The last 2 locations are to far to walk so you would need a taxi unless the rental companies can deliver.

I know this question isn't in regards to Alesund but there are threads in here about other cities so hoping somebody can answer the following:

I need advice on Tromso please. We are in port from 8-5. We have reserved a car. Our plans are the following:

Arctic Church

go to the top of Mt. Storsteinen

The reason for the car rental is to do the Tromso-Sommaroy-Tromso drive which I believe is 75 miles roundtrip. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Will we be able to get this all down and be back to the ship in time?

Thanks.

Linda

Hello Linda,

We did the same thing as Petra so can't help with the question about the drive. BUT by the time we got to the cable car station at around midday, the queue was massive. We waited for a while but it didn't move much and so in the end we gave up. So get there early is my advice! I thought Tromso was lovely, surrounded by snow capped mountains.

how long did you spend up there Petra? I know somebody in Norway that says we would have time to get that scenic drive in in addition to the mountain view and church but still debating.

Linda

Hi Linda,

we spent a good 4 hours up there. Mainly because we decided to hike all the way up to the "summit". If that is not your thing, then 2 hours would probably be enough.

Yes, start your day early! We left as soon as we docked and there was absolutely no line at the cable car station. By the time we got to the base station again, people were lining up all the way through the parking lot.

Petra

Getting so excited--writing things down in regards to Alesund as its our first stop!! I'm looking at the webcams and see there is a Holland America ship in port today and looks like no rain--it really puts it in reality by looking at the cams. Now I'm excited!!! We've rented a car and plan to go to Trollstigen--I have done the google map and looks easy--is it just E39 and then E136 and that's it? I've also written down some things to hopefully see as I'm into photography--I sure hope we have time to see some of the things that I-Cruiser recommended to photograph. In regards to route I see the loop on my notes and the locations to google map it. I-Cruiser is such a blessing. I can't thank you enough for all your help to all of us.

Linda

Edited by linderbelle

Getting so excited--writing things down in regards to Alesund as its our first stop!! I'm looking at the webcams and see there is a Holland America ship in port today and looks like no rain--it really puts it in reality by looking at the cams. Now I'm excited!!! We've rented a car and plan to go to Trollstigen--I have done the google map and looks easy--is it just E39 and then E136 and that's it? I've also written down some things to hopefully see as I'm into photography--I sure hope we have time to see some of the things that I-Cruiser recommended to photograph. In regards to route I see the loop on my notes and the locations to google map it. I-Cruiser is such a blessing. I can't thank you enough for all your help to all of us.

Linda

Linda - Thank you so much. Your words are very sweet.

I do hope you will have a fantastic experience cruising Norway.

Rest assured go to (and back:-)) Trollstigen is very easy.

You will need to stop at Gudbrandsjuvet and Valldal. Then, stop where you fancy and you think the vista is at its most beautiful.

The weather today has been pleasant. Cold but pleasant with no rain.

Yesterday was a perfect spring day with temps up in the 70F :D:D

Linda, we all would love to hear about your trip so please come back and tell us all about it.

Lars :-)

The pavements are narrow and some parts do have cobblestones but I have heard from others using the same vehicle that they managed quiet well.

Thanks for your response.

We are booked on a bus tour to Dalsnibba. It is only about 2 hrs long and we are in port for 7 hours. I have tried finding stuff to do and don't seem to find much except for an octagon church. Any other things to do?

Linda

We are booked on a bus tour to Dalsnibba. It is only about 2 hrs long and we are in port for 7 hours. I have tried finding stuff to do and don't seem to find much except for an octagon church. Any other things to do?

Linda

What about a visit to the Fjord Senter. Do the waterfall walk. Visit Westerås farm. Take a bus tour to the Eagle rd./bends. Have a hot chocolate and home made chocolateS at the chocolate shop in the village...

You're the best!!! So helpful!!!! Googling now. Thank you so much. Believe it or not almost done. :)

Linda

The Fjord senter is by Hotel Union and just above the Church. You can walk up its uphill on the main road.

The waterfall walk starts by the Fjord senter and will take you approx. 20-30 minutes down.

Its a lovely walk as long as the weather holds...

I have visited the Fjord Senter a few times and I do like the visuals of how life was along the fjord before.

The movie is also interesting.

Edited by I-Cruiser

I Cruiser--working on maps and saving stuff to tablet etc. This is what I have for Alesund--remember I'm into photography so if you think we'll have time to add something or suggest please do so. Nedre Strandate and pick up car--Trollstigen-Troll Wall-Andalsnes-Aksla Viewpoint-Apotekergata-Brosundet tannklinikk, Molja Lighthouse, Molovegen, Alesund Church and then back to turn in car.

The above is in the order that we are going so if you think adjustments should be made to save time let me know.

Linda

I Cruiser--working on maps and saving stuff to tablet etc. This is what I have for Alesund--remember I'm into photography so if you think we'll have time to add something or suggest please do so. Nedre Strandate and pick up car--Trollstigen-Troll Wall-Andalsnes-Aksla Viewpoint-Apotekergata-Brosundet tannklinikk, Molja Lighthouse, Molovegen, Alesund Church and then back to turn in car.

The above is in the order that we are going so if you think adjustments should be made to save time let me know.

Linda

En route Trollstigen you have to stop at Gudbrandsjuvet. Its between the village of Valldal and Trollstigen.

Brosundet is important.

The "tannklinkikk" which means dentist in Norwegian not much:D:D I hope you dont need to go there.

Apotekergaten and Moloveien is in my neighborhood. :)

"......Apotekergata-Brosundet tannklinikk, Molja Lighthouse, Molovegen, Alesund Church and then back to turn in car. .." - All these places you mention in Ålesund is best and easiest done by walking. Its not easy to find parking.

I would deliver the car and do the Church, Apotekergaten, Moloveien, the Lighthouse and Brosundet....

What is there to do in Narvik on a Sat June 25 ' date='/16 ??? thanks Marty[/quote']

Its been a long while since I visited Narvik in Northern Norway.

But some things to do which would be really interesting are:

The Ofotbanen railroad trip.

A fjord cruise on the Ofotfjorden.

There are of course lots of other things to do but its time restricted.

You can visit one of the most beautiful mountains in Norway but its a 90km drive south.

I enclose a link so you better can choose activities in the time frame you have.

http://www.visitnarvik.com/Home

Edited by I-Cruiser