Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

We are on the P&O Arcadia and will be stopping overnight in Hellesylt before moving onto Geiranger early the next morning. Basically there is not enough births to overnight at Geiranger. I assuming we will be able to get off at Hellesylt on the evening of the 3rd June (Friday). Nothing listed currently on the P&O personaliser, so wondered what has happened before.

Just curious really.

Many thanks

Keith (Southend, UK) :)

It seems like this is the most active post so going to post in here. We board on 6/23 for our Norway cruise. A gal in our "Sons of Norway" group in the states who lives in Trondheim half the year and states the other half of the year has told me to really enjoy our cruise that I will need very warm clothing--she has said long wool underwear with a very warm coat and boots. She has made me think that I need to buy a very warm lined rain coat and have found one online. I know we took a Alaskan cruise the end of September--was the last run before repositioning and I did wear a down coat. I plan to be outside alot on the ship. What do you all think? We are going as far north as Honningsvag which is definitely up there!!

Linda

Edited by linderbelle

Hi linderbelle,

We went to Norway last June, all the way up to Honningsvag. It did get colder the further north we went, and was pretty cold in some of the more southerly ports too. Many people came totally unprepared, and all ended up wearing the same jacket bought from local shops [emoji3] We bought lots of layers - warm tops, fleece jumpers and water / wind proof jacket. Plus hats and gloves came out when on deck and in Honningsvag too! Some days we did have sunny weather, but it was never hot enough just for t-shirts. We were told in one place that it was colder than expected for the time of year...

Hope that helps!

Was in Norway 3 years ago so we have visited Flam, Alesund and Bergen

This time we also go to Trodheim, Stavanger, Honningsvag, Geiranger and Eidfjord..

We visited some of these ports last June, so I can tell you what we did.

Trondheim - we walked into town from the dock (15-20 min walk) and walked all around the town. There is lots to see - a big cathedral, the old town with old warehouses. We found a lovely coffee shop here. We walked from here up to an old hill fortress (Kristiansten Fortress I think) which was interesting, with views over the town.

Stavanger - we docked right in town, and again there is lots to see just by walking around - the old town was pretty, and there is a small lake. We went to the petroleum museum on the waterfront, and enjoyed it.

Honningsvag - we booked a bus trip to the North Cape with a local company. There is lots of info on the tourist site for the area, and we booked here too: http://www.nordkapp.no/en/. We did the 'North Cape Sightseeing' trip, which included a guided bus tour to the North Cape, entry and then on our return to the town, they took us into the old church. The guide was really informative, and the landscape very different to what we'd seen in the Fjords. Plus it was much cheaper than the ship's tour !

I bought a guide book which I used along with this forum and Google to work out the best things to see!

Hi there,

Which guide book did you find most helpful?

Thanks!

Hello

We used the Lonely Planet Norway guide. I think all the ports we went to were in there, and it gives pointers towards the main sights. And for the larger towns there are small maps which were much better than those provided by the ship.

Hello

We used the Lonely Planet Norway guide. I think all the ports we went to were in there, and it gives pointers towards the main sights. And for the larger towns there are small maps which were much better than those provided by the ship.

Thanks so much. I like Lonely Planet guides, so I will look at this one on Amazon.

What is the very best scenery from Flam; boat or train? What about Bergen? We love the fjods and have been to South Island, New Zealand. Our cruise ship is offering two train rides from Flam for $210. We would rather do our own thing.

What is the very best scenery from Flam; boat or train? What about Bergen? We love the fjods and have been to South Island, New Zealand. Our cruise ship is offering two train rides from Flam for $210. We would rather do our own thing.

We went last year and did the Flam train in the morning. It was nice but nothing to scream about in our opinion. What we did in the afternoon was AMAZING. We took the Heritage Fjord Safari rib boat up the fjord and it went where the big ships can't go and the scenery was out of this world. It was VERY FUN too. The guide was great and we had a fast fun ride on the way back. A little bumpy so if you have a bad back, this might not be for you. It was an amazing adventure and one of the best things we did while in Norway.

We went last year and did the Flam train in the morning. It was nice but nothing to scream about in our opinion. What we did in the afternoon was AMAZING. We took the Heritage Fjord Safari rib boat up the fjord and it went where the big ships can't go and the scenery was out of this world. It was VERY FUN too. The guide was great and we had a fast fun ride on the way back. A little bumpy so if you have a bad back, this might not be for you. It was an amazing adventure and one of the best things we did while in Norway.

PS it was about $80 per person

I would like to see the Great Ocean Road. Is that possible if we rent a car? We were in Alesund in 2014 and saw the viewpoint, the marina area etc as we did the Norway in a Nutshell that came from Andalasnes and Oslo. We are not really birders. Thank you

That sounds interesting! I did hear that the first train wasn't as great as the second one, but I love the Heritage Fjord Safari idea...thank you!

I would like to see the Great Ocean Road. Is that possible if we rent a car? We were in Alesund in 2014 and saw the viewpoint, the marina area etc as we did the Norway in a Nutshell that came from Andalasnes and Oslo. We are not really birders. Thank you

To rent a car from Ålesund to drive the Atlantic Road?

Depends how long you are in port for as driving will take 3 hrs one way.

My favourite is the boat trip from Flåm to Nærøyfjord then bus back to Flåm.

We are on the P&O Arcadia and will be stopping overnight in Hellesylt before moving onto Geiranger early the next morning. Basically there is not enough births to overnight at Geiranger. I assuming we will be able to get off at Hellesylt on the evening of the 3rd June (Friday). Nothing listed currently on the P&O personaliser, so wondered what has happened before.

Just curious really.

Many thanks

Keith (Southend, UK) :)

As long as you are overnight you might be able to go ashore.

From Hellesylt its really easy to do the drive to the village of Øye through the Norangsdalen/valley. Lovey scenery and if you do late afternoon/evening you might be able to have dinner at the old and stunning Hotel Union Øye.

The drive without stops is only 30 minutes.

Hi,

I have a question about our stop in Alesund! We are on the msKonningsdam this summer and I am excited to finally be coming to Norway for the first time. I can not decide between just enjoying our day in Alesund or taking advantage of the ship's tour: "About the Excursion

Take a short sightseeing tour of Ålesund city, passing the town of Spjelkavik en route to Sjøholt village.

From Sjøholt, you’ll follow the shoreline of Storfjord, enjoying beautiful scenes from the road. You are now in an area known for both salmon fishing and furniture making. The furniture crafted here is exported all over the world. In Stordal alone there are several furniture factories.

Pass the old, octagonal Stordal Church (1789) and through Liabygd and Valldal, renowned for growing sweet strawberries. You will follow the valley towards Trollstigen (the Troll Path), passing the impressive Gudbrandsjuvet Gorge. On top of the mountain you can still see signs of the old road built in 1028 by Viking King Olav.

In the center of the Trolltindene mountain range you will stop for a typical Norwegian buffet lunch of hot and cold dishes, desserts and coffee. A bottle of mineral water or light beer is included per person.

From the highest point on the road, at 2,800 feet above sea level, you will drive the famous Troll Path with its 11 exciting hairpin bends leading down to Isterdalen Valley. Stop to visit the famous Troll Wall -- well known to mountaineers all over the planet. This wall has the highest overhang in Europe and is visited by world-famous climbers every summer.

Pass Romsdalsfjord and the picturesque villages of Innfjorden, Mandalen, Vagstrand and Vikebukt before crossing Orskog Mountain to join the main road back to Ålesund"

Which do you recommend? I am thinking if we stay in town we will hike, visit museums and enjoy the beautiful scenery rather than be on a bus all day??

Thanks!

To me this is more then just "sitting on a bus all day".

Lots of stunning scenery and things to take pictures of.

I would suggest this tour as its one of the most interesting. It will for sure "wow" you.

To me this is more then just "sitting on a bus all day".

Lots of stunning scenery and things to take pictures of.

I would suggest this tour as its one of the most interesting. It will for sure "wow" you.

Thank so much- we will now be in port twice so I booked this excision and have a day in Alesund! Will you help with another excursion question? We have two different days in Eidfjord. For one day we have booked a Sightseeing tour with coach to the waterfall Vøringsfossen and Hardangervidda Nature Centre. For the other day we can't decide between a few things and would love your advice.

1) renting a bike and biking to the Sima Powerplant + biking to the end of Simadal

2) hiking to Kjeåsen

Or

3) Holland Tour- waffles and Waterfalls -

Drive through the village of Eidfjord before you continue up the steep Måbødalen Valley. The old road to the top was once only four miles made up of an alarming series of hairpin bends carved into the mountainside. Today there is a new, safer route that leads to the enormous Hardanger Mountain Plateau -- the largest mountain plateau in Northern Europe and one of the few places in Norway where wild reindeer herds still live untended. Keep your eyes peeled; but they are elusive creatures, brilliantly camouflaged and, thus, are seldom seen. Stop for refreshments at Halne Mountain Lodge, about 30 miles from Eidfjord. The lodge is situated about 3,700 feet above sea level in the heart of the Hardanger Mountain Plain and its wooden interior is pleasantly welcoming. Coffee or tea and a homemade Norwegian waffle will be served with jam and sour cream, and be sure to check out the many items and photos from the area. Return to the Måbødalen Valley and stop at the Sysen Dam -- the main reservoir for the Sima Power Station and one of Norway's largest embankment dams. The dam’s watertight core is lined with filter zones of sand and gravel, weighted down and supported by large quantities of rock. The dam itself is more than a half-mile long, 265 feet tall and 813 feet wide at the bottom. Continue to Fossli to view the Vøringsfossen Waterfalls. You’ll take a short walk on an uneven path to the viewpoint. The majestic falls cascade almost 600 feet into the wild Måbø Valley below. Return to Eidfjord by way of the Måbødalen Valley.

We would repeat the same waterfall but may be worthwhile? Thanks for helping.