Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Hi I-Cruiser. Just wondering how well cell coverage is from city to Trollstigen. Wondering if we'll have google maps.

Linda

Linda (Linderbelle) :) I found a troll for you:D:D

troll_zpsrshg0ixy.jpg

This picture was taken at Mt. Dalsnibba yesterday.

Hiking Westeras is one of the excursions run by P&O, who we are sailing with, 3 1/2 hours, 12:30 to 16:00, high activity. Runs from the Geirangerfjord stop. I am also thinking of doing another trip they are running, Mount Dalsnibba, as that goes 08:30 to 11:30. As they are both run by P&O there would be no worries of missing the ship. :)

I'm posting a weather forecast for our particular cruise which goes this coming Saturday later this evening.

Keith (Southend)

Who else would you book excursions through? Every one that we want through the cruise line is waitlisted. We are departing on Sunday, the 12th as well.

Is there a way to get to Voringfossen waterfall in Eidfjord without taking a cruise excursion? Public transportation? I can't seem to find any independent operators that take you there other than via a hike.

Try tidereiser.com. From its homepage, click sightseeing and you will see a tour for sightseeing Eidfjord that is similar to the cruise excursion but minus the waffles. Tour is 2.5 hours and starts at 11:45am.

I-Cruiser---You must be on holiday and having a great time I hope. Well, I'm packing it up here. We leave on Thursday. This has been a year of planning and you helped so much. I wanted to say thanks for all that you have done for us travelers coming to your beautiful city and country. I will post when I get back and will have somewhere on the net where I put the photos for others to see. 2 camera bags packed along with tripod.

Linda

Happy travels linderbelle!

I-cruiser, sorry if this has been asked, but what is the waterfall walk? Is there time to do this and also see Mt Dalsnibba? If not, which do you recommend?

Also, do you have any recommendations for Stavanger?

Many thanks indeed for your most fabulous thread and help!

Now that we have been back from the Norway cruise on HAL's new ship Kongingsdam, we can provide some feedback. For the ports, we like Eidfjord, Geiranger more than Flam. We also like Alesund - the walk of the 418 stairs to the mountain top was the best in our cruise. Once we walked up there, the view of the city was magnificent! So beautiful!

I-Cruiser---You must be on holiday and having a great time I hope. Well, I'm packing it up here. We leave on Thursday. This has been a year of planning and you helped so much. I wanted to say thanks for all that you have done for us travelers coming to your beautiful city and country. I will post when I get back and will have somewhere on the net where I put the photos for others to see. 2 camera bags packed along with tripod.

Linda

Yes, we are on the Reflection right now having a great cruise.

Enjoy your travel and have fun. Looking forward to hear all about your cruise.

Hello I-Cruiser,

I hope you are having a wonderful time on your cruise. When you come back, I would love your opinion about which shore excursions to take. We are very excited to be taking a cruise of the Norwegian Fjords in August on the Serenade of the Seas. When going through the possible excursions in both Bergen and Stavanger, we couldn't decide.

In Bergen, we are debating between:

1. "Troldhaugen, Old Bergen and Fish Market". The description says we will drive past Haakon's Hall, Rosenkrantz Tower, and Bryggen. "See" the Fish and Flower Market, City Park and Grieg concert hall. "Visit" Troldhaugen and Old Bergen Museum.

2. "Troldhaugen, Fantoft Stave Church and City Sightseeing". In the description it looks like we "visit" Troldhaugen and the stave church, but we "drive by" Bryggen.

The second tour is 1/2 hour longer and only $4 more. It looks like the difference is a choice between seeing the stave church or seeing the Old Bergen Museum.

We love history, particularly history of the Viking Era, middle ages, or the renaissance. My husband also is very interested in anything about WWII.

In Stavanger, we are torn between:

1. "City Sightseeing with Iron Age Farm". Visit the iron age farm, photo stop at the Ullandhaug viewpoint, then stroll through Old Stavanger.

2. "City Sightseeing & Utstein Monastery". Stavanger Cathedral, Utstein Monastery, and stroll through Old Stavanger.

#2 is $20 more, and is 1 hour longer (4 hours rather than 3.) It looks like the choice is whether we should visit the Iron Age Farm and the Ullandhaug viewpoint, or the Stavanger Cathedral and the Utstein Monastery.

I would be happy to hear opinions. I'm trying to make an informed decision. Thank you for your help.

Hello I-Cruiser,

I hope you are having a wonderful time on your cruise. When you come back, I would love your opinion about which shore excursions to take. We are very excited to be taking a cruise of the Norwegian Fjords in August on the Serenade of the Seas. When going through the possible excursions in both Bergen and Stavanger, we couldn't decide.

1. "Troldhaugen, Old Bergen and Fish Market". The description says we will drive past Haakon's Hall, Rosenkrantz Tower, and Bryggen. "See" the Fish and Flower Market, City Park and Grieg concert hall. "Visit" Troldhaugen and Old Bergen Museum.

2. "Troldhaugen, Fantoft Stave Church and City Sightseeing". In the description it looks like we "visit" Troldhaugen and the stave church, but we "drive by" Bryggen.

The second tour is 1/2 hour longer and only $4 more. It looks like the difference is a choice between seeing the stave church or seeing the Old Bergen Museum.

We love history, particularly history of the Viking Era, middle ages, or the renaissance. My husband also is very interested in anything about WWII.

1. "City Sightseeing with Iron Age Farm". Visit the iron age farm, photo stop at the Ullandhaug viewpoint, then stroll through Old Stavanger.

2. "City Sightseeing & Utstein Monastery". Stavanger Cathedral, Utstein Monastery, and stroll through Old Stavanger.

#2 is $20 more, and is 1 hour longer (4 hours rather than 3.) It looks like the choice is whether we should visit the Iron Age Farm and the Ullandhaug viewpoint, or the Stavanger Cathedral and the Utstein Monastery.

I would be happy to hear opinions. I'm trying to make an informed decision. Thank you for your help.

I'm not I-cruiser, but still have a suggestion to share:

Are you really sure you want to book a shore excursion for these two Norwegian cities? Both are REALLY easy to explore on your own. The Bryggen part of town, the fish market etc. are very near to the place where the ships dock and best done on foot. There are tours you can book directly in the Hanseatic museum (remarkable) right there which are really good. In front of the museum a shuttle bus leaves to Troldhaugen and its Grieg museum - during lunch time there is also a lunch concert. Additionally there are HoHo buses that stop right in front where your ship usually docks as well as a little city train.

Stavanger is easy to navigate as the old part of town is very near to the port. Very interesting: the oil museum, very modern and lots to see.

Whatever you decide - enjoy your cruise to beautiful Norway!

• 2 weeks later...
Happy travels linderbelle!

I-cruiser, sorry if this has been asked, but what is the waterfall walk? Is there time to do this and also see Mt Dalsnibba? If not, which do you recommend?

Also, do you have any recommendations for Stavanger?

Many thanks indeed for your most fabulous thread and help!

The waterfall walk in a scenic walk along the river and waterfall from the Fjord Center to the village in Geiranger.

You walk along platforms and stairs. There out viewpoints sticking above the waterfalls. its pretty amazing.

The walk will take approx. 30 minutes and its well worth doing.

Hello I-Cruiser,

You have gotten some really good advice already. But to add my opinions.

I would be more interested in this tour in Bergen:"Troldhaugen, Fantoft Stave Church and City Sightseeing"

After the tour you can do the "Bryggen" and the Fishmarket. They are very close to the pier.

in Stavanger as I love history I would spring for this tour:" City Sightseeing & Utstein Monastery". Stavanger Cathedral, Utstein Monastery, and stroll through Old Stavanger."

Old Stavanger is just very charming and a must do.

The waterfall walk in a scenic walk along the river and waterfall from the Fjord Center to the village in Geiranger.

You walk along platforms and stairs. There out viewpoints sticking above the waterfalls. its pretty amazing.

The walk will take approx. 30 minutes and its well worth doing.

Sorry, forgot to answer the last part of your question.

yes, you will have time doing the Mt Dalsnibba and the waterfall walk if your ship stays in port for 7-8 hrs.

Hi I-Cruiser. Just wondering how well cell coverage is from city to Trollstigen. Wondering if we'll have google maps.

Linda

A bit late but coverage should be 4G until right after Valldal.

In the past the stretch to Trollstigen and Trollstigen itself has very little coverage.

I have always got "E"/edge.

I know the tele companies are extending their 4G network in the area but no news as to when it will happen.

Thank you I-Cruiser, and the others who answered also. I appreciate the advice. We really love history, and are really looking forward to this trip. Do you have any ideas about what to do in Kristiansand? We are there on the last day of our cruise.

I-Crusier, or anyone who can help,

I have the good fortune of cruising Norway nearly every summer; I've been to Alesund 7 or 8 times (wonderful!!).

I've walked and hiked everywhere I could get in a day using only my feet. I've walked to from the trailhead and gone up Sukkertoppen at least five times (also wonderful!!).

This year I have a long day (7am to 11pm) and want to try something new. It looks like there's good hiking out of Langevag, and it appears really quick and easy to get to, with frequent boats going back an forth.

First, does this seem like a good plan? I love to exercise and adventure, but I almost always avoid public transport for fear there will be a problem and I'll be late for "all aboard". (The late departure eases this concern.)

Second, I have the Norled timetable for the route 2061....I presume I can take any departure I wish? Many of them have a note that reads "Busskorr til/fra Langevag". I could still take this departure and pay a simple fare? Does one pay on the boat?

Many thanks....I've read this tread for a long time, but I was already pretty familiar with things when it first appeared, so I never had occasion to ask. You provide a wonderful service; I've picked up several helpful suggestions.

I-Cruiser,

Related question to my earlier one concerning the Alesund-Langevag boat.

I assumed the boat would leave from the dock right beside the Tourist Office...I've seen this kind of boat there before, and the Norled website seemed to show that dock.

However, looking at the graphic on another site, that one appears to show the boat docking in the area over by where the cruise ships disembark. If, in answer to my earlier question, you do think the Langevag boat and hiking that area is a workable idea, do you know which place the Langevag boat departs from?

Thanks again!

Sorry if this sounds redundant but I am reposting my quest on this thread.

Does anyone know what we need to board a bus in Bergen, Alesund or Trondheim?

I want to have the correct change tucked away for this when we arrive.

BJ

A bit late but coverage should be 4G until right after Valldal.

In the past the stretch to Trollstigen and Trollstigen itself has very little coverage.

I have always got "E"/edge.

I know the tele companies are extending their 4G network in the area but no news as to when it will happen.

I seem to remember here in the US, that once we had downloaded the directions on the phone, even when we lost coverage, the map was still there. I don't think turn by turn directions,and you couldn't see your current location, but you could still access the map and tell where you were supposed to be going

I-Cruiser,

Related question to my earlier one concerning the Alesund-Langevag boat.

I assumed the boat would leave from the dock right beside the Tourist Office...I've seen this kind of boat there before, and the Norled website seemed to show that dock.

However, looking at the graphic on another site, that one appears to show the boat docking in the area over by where the cruise ships disembark. If, in answer to my earlier question, you do think the Langevag boat and hiking that area is a workable idea, do you know which place the Langevag boat departs from?

Thanks again!

I-Crusier, or anyone who can help,

I have the good fortune of cruising Norway nearly every summer; I've been to Alesund 7 or 8 times (wonderful!!).

I've walked and hiked everywhere I could get in a day using only my feet. I've walked to from the trailhead and gone up Sukkertoppen at least five times (also wonderful!!).

This year I have a long day (7am to 11pm) and want to try something new. It looks like there's good hiking out of Langevag, and it appears really quick and easy to get to, with frequent boats going back an forth.

First, does this seem like a good plan? I love to exercise and adventure, but I almost always avoid public transport for fear there will be a problem and I'll be late for "all aboard". (The late departure eases this concern.)

Second, I have the Norled timetable for the route 2061....I presume I can take any departure I wish? Many of them have a note that reads "Busskorr til/fra Langevag". I could still take this departure and pay a simple fare? Does one pay on the boat?

Many thanks....I've read this tread for a long time, but I was already pretty familiar with things when it first appeared, so I never had occasion to ask. You provide a wonderful service; I've picked up several helpful suggestions.

You are lucky to be able to visit 7-8 times.

The boat to Langevåg goes from next to the cruise pier.

The boats from "Skateflua" / Tourist office are for the islands.

You can take any departure you want.

The "Busskorr til/fra Langevag" - means there is a bus coresponding to/from Langevåg.

You do pay the fare on the boat and from what I gather the price is NOK 65 one way.

http://www.frammr.no/Portals/0/Dokumenter/Prisar/TakstarHurtigbaat2016_v6.pdf

I never really advocate doing hikes on your own in unfamiliar areas.

However this site should give you a few ideas for hikes:

http://fjellglede.blogspot.no/2014/10/blafjellet.html

Sorry if this sounds redundant but I am reposting my quest on this thread.

Does anyone know what we need to board a bus in Bergen, Alesund or Trondheim?

I want to have the correct change tucked away for this when we arrive.

BJ

Well, it all depends how far you are taking the bus as the busfares are divided into zones.

In Ålesund you should expect to pay NOK 34 - 39 - 43 -54......all depending where you want to go.

The bus will be able to give change so I would suggest you carry NOK 50 notes or NOK 10 and NOK 20 coins. NOK 100 notes would also be a good idea.

Thank you so much!

I now feel better about hopping on a bus with proper payment available.

I find some places that you have to buy a transit card or others that require correct fare with no change given.

Thank you also for your dedication in maintaining this thread. I read it almost every day now that I have found it.

BJ

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lars -- this is a really fantastic thread.

We are trying to decide whether to do the drive to Trollstigen on a cruise stop in Alesund. One of our party uses a wheelchair. Instead of all of us walking to the Avis or Budget, I was thinking I would get the car and then drive back to pick them up. Is there an easy way to do this? Can I park near port and get them, or is there somewhere nearby they can wait for me while I get the car?