Summit - Best Veranda Rooms?

Glassmcr1981

Evening all!

Looking to go on our 4th cruise (2nd with Celebrity) this coming June, sailing on the Summit from NY to Bermuda. This will be a 10 year anniversary trip, so we want to make sure we milk it for all we can afford :)

Last time we sailed with Celebrity we did an Aqua Class room, and while it was very nice, it really wasn't worth the extra price for us. Blu was a neat experience, but we'd do just as well with the Select Dining option in the MDR.

So with that said, does anyone have any recommendations on Veranda rooms? Are there any differences between the 2A / 2B / 2C rooms other than location? Any other hidden gems of the Summit we should be sure to check out or know about?

Thanks in advance!

Evening all!

Looking to go on our 4th cruise (2nd with Celebrity) this coming June, sailing on the Summit from NY to Bermuda. This will be a 10 year anniversary trip, so we want to make sure we milk it for all we can afford :)

Last time we sailed with Celebrity we did an Aqua Class room, and while it was very nice, it really wasn't worth the extra price for us. Blu was a neat experience, but we'd do just as well with the Select Dining option in the MDR.

So with that said, does anyone have any recommendations on Veranda rooms? Are there any differences between the 2A / 2B / 2C rooms other than location? Any other hidden gems of the Summit we should be sure to check out or know about?

Thanks in advance!

Some passengers like the 8 most forward 2C cabins on both sides of deck 6 right above the theater, which have larger balconies and very nice, unobstructed views.

However, that NY - Bermuda Atlantic route can get very bumpy at times so if motion bothers you, a more centrally located stateroom would provide a smoother ride.

Some of the 2A cabins further aft by the rear elevators have slightly larger balconies. But they are recessed inward from the sides of the ship and therefore have partially obstructed views looking down at the balconies that extend out further below them.

Some people dislike that feature, while others do not mind at all.

Whichever cabin you choose, have a wonderful anniversary cruise.

Edited by varoo

Without a second thought, I would suggest the cabins at the very back (aft) of the ship - they are Concierge class and have huge balconies and is the perfect place to sit and watch the wake as the ship is sailing. I also loved the fact that the singer upstairs at the outside bar can be quietly heard while we are drinking a glass of wine before heading out for dinner. And then at the end of the evening we would go back out on the balcony with our nightcap and watch for shooting stars - such fond memories.

On my Summit cruise in April, I was in 7049, which is a 2A. I really enjoyed that room as the balcony is pretty big. The only problem is that it's close to the forward elevators, so a bit of a walk to the dining areas and anything midship/aft. If you don't mind the walk, I'd recommend that room or another one with the larger triangle balcony.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the feedback everyone! A couple more questions....

There seem to be a good number of open cabins near the forward elevators. Should I be concerned about noise in this location?

Are all of the Penthouse level 2C cabins slightly larger? The Celebrity site is rather vague, and I think under sells the sq ft in these?

Ruthk - those back 4 concierge class cabins are available. Safe to say you'd value them worth the $500 more than a 2C room? How much bigger is the balcony? It looks quite deep.

Thanks again!

We just had a concierge cabin on deck 7 near the aft. Whatever you do don't get one with adjoining cabins! The doors are paper thin! By far the worst I've ever encountered! You could here casual conversations from our neighbours. Luckily they were fairly quiet people or it could've been a brutal experience.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We just had a concierge cabin on deck 7 near the aft. Whatever you do don't get one with adjoining cabins! The doors are paper thin! By far the worst I've ever encountered! You could here casual conversations from our neighbours. Luckily they were fairly quiet people or it could've been a brutal experience.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for the tip sledhead! Finally found a TA showing full availability so all of the advice is extremely helpful!

Without a doubt I would choose an aft stateroom (really facing aft, not a "near" aft stateroom). The balcony is HUGE! There is a private covered area protecting you from the sun or the rain and precluding other cruisers from upper decks to see you, something which is regrettably not at all the case anymore on the newer "S-class" ships. There is also an uncovered area where you can enjoy sun if you decide to do so. In fact on those balcony you are the one deciding whether you prefer sunny or shady areas: it is not the direction the ship is moving to or the height of the sun on the horizon that influence your personal use of the veranda.

But there is also the wind. On an aft balcony, you are also protected from high winds whenever the ship is moving and that means that you can always go on the balcony at any time, day or night, without worrying about anything left on your veranda. Those stateroom are also great for any dining on the veranda as you have a regular size table, large enough for more than two persons if ever you invite others to dine in with you.

Even after having been solstiziced, those M-Class ship are what they are: ships being used yearly for nearly 15 years! Their "age" can be confirmed every times you will be looking at areas or furniture that weren't replaced, repainted or even simply more deeply cleaned than usual... We had booked those aft staterooms many times and would probably not be cruising on those old ships again unless we can get one of those aft staterooms or if no other newer ship of even an another good cruiseline is available in the same area of the world and the period of the year we would like to cruise.

Man, these C1 true rear facing rooms look incredibly tempting! We love spending time on the balcony, and these would be a huge plus. I've been able to dig up lots of pics of the room, but are there actual floor plans anywhere? I'd like to get a feel for just how big the balcony and cabins are.

Thanks again for all the help!

I second the motion that on Bermuda sailings there can be some pretty rocky seas, so if this bothers you please consider that before booking one of those wonderful aft cabins.

As to balcony numbering in general, the difference in pricing/category is almost exclusively location, and occasionally because of a bigger balcony. Higher floor; higher price (I never could figure out why as I prefer the lower floors myself). I have sailed a couple of times in one of the Sweet 16 cabins far upfront. There was never any noise issue at all, and the bigger balconies were nice. I have issues with motion so a couple times I was a bit uncomfortable for that reason, but otherwise I thought they were great cabins for the money. On M class the Concierge cabins are a little bigger than standard veranda cabins, so if the price difference is not much we often will pick those.

Try this thread here on CC :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1102608

If you can find this thread, you will have specific pictures of the stateroom 9162 and of the balcony and also a general picture of the entire aft. If you are looking for a less covered area, look for an aft stateroom on a lower deck as the veranda get less covered one deck at a time. I don't have the specific dimensions of the C1 veranda but Celebrity in a brochure mentioned 112 sq.ft. for the family veranda just beside the C1 (the corner one has a bigger veranda: 191 sq.ft.).

No one in our family has issue with motion sickness; so I can't comment on that subject but it is clearly not always the case when you go to Bermuda. The first time we went there, it was so calm that you could see flying fishes going in and out of the ocean and making, in doing so, circles in the water just like if they were playing in a bathtub...

In as far as the size of the table is concerned, I don't specifically remember what it was in the aft staterooms situated in the middle, now described as C1 but I do remember that in the family veranda stateroom they were bigger than the table seen in those pictures, which is however sufficent for two people having dinner on the verandah as you could also use for extra plates the smaller table (not shown in the pictures) usually used beside the lounge chairs or the regular chairs.

But on any cruise ship, there in no such thing as the "best veranda". The best one is always the veranda that fits your personal needs. Enjoy your cruise and, if you choose so, your day on Horseshoe Bay beach!

We have sailed the very back of the ship many times, on the Summit, Connie, and Infinity - and would sail it again in a New York minute. The balconies are huge - you could have a party there. You will have a dining table with chairs and also lounge chairs and a small patio table. Several times we had 4 lounge chairs on the balcony. Another plus is that the Summit has an outdoor light on the balcony if you choose late night dining (we did lots of that). I would say the balcony is almost as long as the cabin itself, so it is very large. As someone has mentioned, 1/2 of it is covered with canvas which is great because if it rains or if the sun is too hot you can sit there and still watch the world go by. Also its not that huge of a walk to the back elevators, where on the S-class ship it is a hike to the elevators (they do not have large aft balconies).

I hope I answered your question.

We were in 6096 for a RT Hawaii which was a 2C at that time. I don't know what category it is now. It was in the center of the ship and very stable. The lifeboat was just below our veranda and did not impede our view.

Sue