Hi I'm new and first time cruiser! I'm flying in to florida for the oasis

lovablekendra

Im flying a day early so we are going to get an hotel and a rental car for that day to explore so I was wondering if anyone has booked a hotel that was nice near port and if anyone knows if we rent a car from airport and return it at airport is there a shuttle from airport to port? And vise versa for when we return? Also would like to know if anyone booked an nice hotel maybe not near port but had a better experience?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Im flying a day early so we are going to get an hotel and a rental car for that day to explore so I was wondering if anyone has booked a hotel that was nice near port and if anyone knows if we rent a car from airport and return it at airport is there a shuttle from airport to port? And vise versa for when we return? Also would like to know if anyone booked an nice hotel maybe not near port but had a better experience?

You may also want to post this question on the Florida Departures board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

We did exactly what you're planning. We stayed at Hyatt Pier 66 which is close to the port. We could see Oasis from our balcony :)

We rented a car from Alamo and took their shuttle to the port after we returned the car. From memory we had to show some paperwork getting on the shuttle to prove that we were Alamo customers.

Enjoy your cruise!

Plenty of great hotels. A lot of people around here like The Embassy Suites that's right next to the port. Personally, I prefer to be out on the Ocean front. My favorite is The Ritz-Carlton. But there are tons of places at different price points depending on your budget.

There isn't a shuttle from the airport rental car center to the port. But taxis from the terminal (a short walk from the rental car return) are plentiful and inexpensive going to the port.

Some rental car companies have local dropoffs with a free shuttle to the port. HOWEVER, on weekends they tend to be VERY busy. I made the mistake of dropping off at the local Hertz once when sailing on a weekend. I had to wait 45 minutes for the shuttle because the vans they had were filling up with all the people who dropped off before me. Now, I just take it back to the airport and grab a cab!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ditto on reading the Florida boards...FYI- There is a nice Embassy Suites & Renaissance Hotel near the port..also a Clarion Suites...any questions about cruising or the Oasis, give a shout...Have done the Oasis and going again in Oct to celebrate wife's b'day...great ship...don't miss Hairspray, ice-skating show, and the Aquapark diving shows...

Big Al

We did exactly what you're planning. We stayed at Hyatt Pier 66 which is close to the port. We could see Oasis from our balcony :)

We rented a car from Alamo and took their shuttle to the port after we returned the car. From memory we had to show some paperwork getting on the shuttle to prove that we were Alamo customers.

Enjoy your cruise!

This is correct only Alamo, National and 1 other rental company takes you to the port! All others you have to take a taxi.

Hi there, two years ago we stayed at the Best Western plus oceanside hotel, nice hotel with great breakfast. We hired a car from Budget, they have an office near the port and will take you to the port when you drop the car off and also collect you when you get off the ship if you want to hire then. Happy Cruising.

Hi - last year, we used Priceline and got The Westin Diplomat in Hollywood, FL. We rented a car with Budget, dropped it off at day of embarkation, and they took us to the port free.

This year, we are doing things a little different (not sure why HAHA). We are still renting a car, but we are now staying at the Il Lugano Suites Hotel (check it out on TripAdvisor)... we randomly stumbled across a great rate there, so we booked. But that might be another option. :)

There are loads of hotels in FLL and area, which is why it's a bit overwhelming!

Here is something I wrote for my Allure review, which I think is helpful for people new to the area:

There is much discussion about pre night hotels...here are some tips about the 3 major "zones" (don't know if these are "official" but it's how I think of the areas) and what they have to offer, starting with the cheapest. Only you and your travel plans can dictate which is best.

I had hoped to include a google map for each area, but the links aren't working for me...but I've listed a few of the hotels in each area, so you can plug them into google maps and get an idea of what is in each neighborhood.

There are more hotels obviously, I just noted ones I've seen reviewed here or noticed while driving by. We've stayed at the Fairfield, Marriott Harbor beach and Rennaisance, so I have "stayed" in each neighborhood and can give you advice about those hotels in particular. DH has an office in N Ft Lauderdale, and travels there several times a year, so we are starting to get to know the area pretty well!

Zone 1- Airport/Dania Beach

-cheapest

-some offer " suites" well suited to larger families or couple traveling together

-some offer weekly onsite parking for those driving to port and a shuttle.

-many offer a free FLL airport shuttle, which can save a few bucks

-fewer bells and whistles, good for shorter stays, just a "bed"

-most not near shopping/ more industrial area not good for picking up last minute things

Homewood Suites

Marriott Fairfield

Sheraton

Courtyard by Marriott

Zone 2- SE 17th Ave

-a little more expensive

-closer to port; you might even score a room where you can glimpse Allure or Oasis in port; most offer a shuttle..

-lots of shopping nearby where you can walk. There is a Winn Dixie on Cordova just a couple of blocks up from most of these hotels as well as a liquor store on Cordova, and a Walgreens right on SE 17 th

-handier to some chain restaurants such as Starbucks, Panera Bread, if you have a longer stay and need eats.

Embassy Suites

Marriott Renaissance

Comfort Suites

Hyatt

Zone 3 Harbor Beach area, located over the bridge and on the beach

-pricey, but with lots of amenities (pools, beaches, activities) for longer stays.

-a bit further from port, but you can walk down the beach to the jetty to see Oasis and or Allure sail out if you will be staying Sat or Sunday evenings at 5 PM

-this is a residential area with resorts on the beach, so you cannot walk to a store easily. There is a store, Beach Package Store, located at the end of Las Olas Blvd- which would be a long walk, but a short cab ride. and Las Olas Bvld is the main upscale shopping drag in FLL too.

-you will be largely captive to pricey hotel restaurants for food (we had an 80 lunch for 3!) unless you cab or have a car

-if you have a car, parking is prohibitively expensive per day at these resorts ($25/day at Marriott)

Lago Mar

Marriott Harbor Beach

Bahia Mar

So which you choose is up to you, based on how much time and money you have and how great your need is to pick up last minute stuff.

I will advocate here that you not let the "port shuttle" tail wag the dog! In general most hotels offer a port shuttle (especially those in the airport and SE 17 th St area) but these are usually priced about $7-8 pp plus you'll need to tip the driver a buck a person. The shuttles require you put your luggage in trailer behind the shuttle, just another place for it to get left behind, or picked up by another person.

Unless you have a ton of luggage per person, we have found that a cab, which leaves when you want it to, with your luggage placed in the trunk under your supervision, costs about $15 plus tip from the airport zone and $12 plus tip from the SE17th st zone. We usually have 2 larger bags, 4 rollers and 4 carryon/ lap bags and all this makes it into a standard 4 person cab, and a larger van cab can be called if needed. Look into it, if you do the math, unless you are just a solo, it is usually cheaper to take a cab for 2 or more people.

Welcome to CC and to cruising!

Some websites that should help you...

Fort Lauderdale tourism(hotels, attractions, restaurants): http://www.sunny.org.

Fort Lauderdale water taxi (a favorite of many, many cruisers that combines transportation and sightseeing): http://www.watertaxi.com.

Fort Lauderdale sun trolley (cheap transportation): http://www.suntrolley.com.

Enjoy your time in Fort Lauderdale and your cruise!