My Norwegian Getaway Illusionarium review

Single Cruiser

Firstly I should remind people this forum is for personal opinions, these are mine.

I'll try not to give anything away but warning of possible spoilers.. Your choice to read on..

The venue: For those who have sailed on Breakaway the location and venue layout is the same. For all others.

Imagine a semi-circle. On the flat side is the back of the stage with props and set parts. In front is a round stage with rows of tables at various angles.. At floor level. These are the premium seats, around the arc wall are booths which are the standard seating, the projection done screen is easily viewable from the Premium seating. I would say might be a little harder to see some of the effects from the booths but as it's a dome the graphics do move around a bit..

The menu is very similar as on Epic and Breakaway Cirque events.

Set menu with some lettuce, tomato, etc..

Main of surf and turf shrimp and steak with baked potato and broccoli

Trio of desserts

Coffee is served between main and dessert.

But the meal is even more a distraction than in cirque dreams

Basically (without giving lots away) the host Jeff Hobson introduces the story and tries to be funny but the main act is 4 "grand master" magicians doing tricks the like you'd see on any Vegas resort just feet away.

To be honest at this point I could just end the review and say it's probably the best show I've seen on any cruise ship and the magic feats are top notch.

There is quite a lot of audience participation and our table got volunteered 3 times!

There's one act some might not like as in involves live Doves. Not sure how animal rights people would feel about that.. At one stage one Dove made a dash for it and ended up five bombing our table and landing on my shoulder!! Perhaps hoping I'd save it!

The accompanying soundtrack is loud and visual effects on the screen really top quality..

So excellent value for money. The whole show was around 1hr 20 mins.

..however....

Edited by Single Cruiser

:mad:

However it was spoiled for me as just as I was just taking a biteful of dessert Jeff Hobson was wandering around the floor for another "volunteer" and I got selected against my will and better judgement I reluctantly agreed to be dragged onto the stage. However what I was not prepared for was then after the usual what's your name etc .. A series of what I thought were personal insults about my choice of dress and worse still, my weight (due to a serious chronic health condition I gave problems keeping it down and led to some depression). Not what I'd expect from a professional magician but from a back-street comedian..

I was tempted to walk off stage then but carried on and only when I got back to my seat did one of my colleagues point out he'd stolen my watch when he'd grabbed my arms to drag me to stage..

This has sentimental value and I immediately already fuming asked for its return but was told oh he'll give it back at the end.. Which of course he did..

Now not willing to be like a killjoy but I didn't pay the $30 to be insulted. No apologies after so now considering formal complaint to NCL!

So in summary great show by the 4 main Magicians ruined by the pretender wannabe magician..

However it was spoiled for me as just as I was just taking a biteful of dessert Jeff Hobson was wandering around the floor for another "volunteer" and I got selected against my will and better judgement I reluctantly agreed to be dragged onto the stage. However what I was not prepared for was then after the usual what's your name etc .. A series of what I thought were personal insults about my choice of dress and worse still, my weight (due to a serious chronic health condition I gave problems keeping it down and led to some depression). Not what I'd expect from a professional magician but from a back-street comedian..

I was tempted to walk off stage then but carried on and only when I got back to my seat did one of my colleagues point out he'd stolen my watch when he'd grabbed my arms to drag me to stage..

This has sentimental value and I immediately already fuming asked for its return but was told oh he'll give it back at the end.. Which of course he did..

Now not willing to be like a killjoy but I didn't pay the $30 to be insulted. No apologies after so now considering formal complaint to NCL!

So in summary great show by the 4 main Magicians ruined by the pretender wannabe magician..

Absolutely complain and do it immediately. There is no excuse for what you have described. (My mouth is still hanging open). I have been cruising for close to 25 years and I have seen something similar only ONCE....in that instance (it was aboard a RCI - Song of Norway, many years ago) the "comedian" was immediately put ashore. And that is exactly what should happen in your case, in my opinion.

Please do not hesitate to complain. Remember that, this is not just about what happened to you --- it is about everyone who comes after you...next time, he may just insult a person who is "on the edge" and not strong like you are. Please...don't wait....file that complaint right away.

That is not kind, I am so sorry that happened. No excuse, and I agree with everyone else, report it straight away. As a woman who is 40 lbs overweight, your review just talked me right into the cheap seats. I am not sure that I could be as brave as you! On a better note, thx for the review. My 4 girls ages 8-12 are so excited for this show and your review was so helpful. anything you think that would be "scary" to them? Thx again!

That is not kind, I am so sorry that happened. No excuse, and I agree with everyone else, report it straight away. As a woman who is 40 lbs overweight, your review just talked me right into the cheap seats. I am not sure that I could be as brave as you! On a better note, thx for the review. My 4 girls ages 8-12 are so excited for this show and your review was so helpful. anything you think that would be "scary" to them? Thx again!

Thanks for the comments. There is only one slightly scary but where the lights go off for a bit (a few seconds) , they announce please remain seated..

I know some people have a phobia of birds flying near them so again they only flew around near the front tables or on my shoulder!

Craig, sorry but I didn't really catch exactly what happened when you were telling me the other day (just got the bit about the watch really).

It's disappointing to hear that. I've only ever heard good things about Jeff Hobson.

I'd suggest letting NCL know your thoughts. May also be worth finding Julie's email address and trying to let her know. The cruise directors can be quite good at avoiding things like this in the future by having a quiet word with him.

Craig, I was at this show and have to say that I really felt for you - thank goodness he didn't 'volunteer' me!! It's a long time since I witnessed this sort of second rate behaviour, and I wish you luck in your complaint to NCL. Hobson needs to realise that this cheap method of getting laughs is just not acceptable.

On a positive note, I agree that the other performers were no less than brilliant - a terrific show.

For any future attendees, try to get a premium seat. Even though you're next to the stage, you will not believe what you see!!

Terry

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know how I missed this, Craig. I was searching on Google to see if I could find pictures of the seats, and came across this. That is horrible and unacceptable. I do not know why people think it is entertaining to make fun of others. :mad:

Craig, I was at this show and have to say that I really felt for you - thank goodness he didn't 'volunteer' me!! It's a long time since I witnessed this sort of second rate behaviour, and I wish you luck in your complaint to NCL. Hobson needs to realise that this cheap method of getting laughs is just not acceptable.

On a positive note, I agree that the other performers were no less than brilliant - a terrific show.

For any future attendees, try to get a premium seat. Even though you're next to the stage, you will not believe what you see!!

Terry

Between this and the birds (daughter HATES birds) we won't be booking. Again, Craig, I am so very sorry this happened to you.

Between this and the birds (daughter HATES birds) we won't be booking. Again, Craig, I am so very sorry this happened to you.

Thanks for the kind words.

I've since received a written apology from NCL. Oh and apparently the birds welfare will be "inspected" by US authorities every few months.

The main magicians and show was good but it would be better suited on a standard stage without the meal. Or they should have served the starter before the show started. Had an interlude when the main meal was served, a second half and then dessert and coffee afterwards. :D

I've since received a written apology from NCL. Oh and apparently the birds welfare will be "inspected" by US authorities every few months.

The main magicians and show was good but it would be better suited on a standard stage without the meal. Or they should have served the starter before the show started. Had an interlude when the main meal was served, a second half and then dessert and coffee afterwards. :D

I'm SO glad to hear that Craig because what happened was completely unacceptable! :(

As for the birds.......I'm outta there if one comes anywhere near me!! Lol

And I too could do without the meal.....as I could with Cirque Dreams...kind of just distracted me really!

Once again, glad you got your apology, but sorry you had to go through that.

Terry

How do you get premium seats? We are sailing March 1 and the only thing offered were regular seating, I even called NCL and was told there was not premium seating at all for our sailing. Sounds strange, but most things from NCL reps do sound strange.

How do you get premium seats? We are sailing March 1 and the only thing offered were regular seating, I even called NCL and was told there was not premium seating at all for our sailing. Sounds strange, but most things from NCL reps do sound strange.

It was really weird as when we all booked online it only showed one price in myncl. Then onboard they said the prices had changed but what we had booked was premium.

It was about £25 if I recall so that's about $39

That is terrible. You should pursue your complaint. Not sure which is worse, the insults or some stranger holding onto a personal possession without permission. What if he dropped it and broke it by accident? Im sorry you had to deal with that.

That is terrible. You should pursue your complaint. Not sure which is worse, the insults or some stranger holding onto a personal possession without permission. What if he dropped it and broke it by accident? Im sorry you had to deal with that.

I'm pretty sure my husband would have decked him if either his or my watch was taken LOL