Would do Grandeur out of Baltimore or

Laurba99

Sorry, i have no idea what does it mean ? :confused:

Even with translator.

But i'm sure i will agree !

Nb: He's the most tip top, maybe ? :confused:

A 'unique ' individual with a most 'interesting ' personality. I loved his daily broadcast on the Tv. He's one of those entirely to happy with their jobs people without resorting to drugs or alcohol. Just interacting with him as he wanders around is great.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

OP, Frenchrci and everyone:

LOVE the port of Baltimore!!!! Very easy on and off ship. Provides an opportunity to meet and make friends!!!!

Love the "Lady G" as Darryl called her.

While the ship is older, we were on her in Dec for her birthday. The crew is fantastic!!!!

The fire that so many still speak of just got her an update sooner rather than later.

The aerial shows in the centrum are great and the over all feeling on ship is one of friendship as opposed to never seeing the same person twice on the larger ships. Yes the FL ports do offer the mega ships with more activities but I don't choose to cruise with a hoard of people where I need to make "reservations" pre-cruise to guarantee my place.

I live about 20 minutes from the Port of Baltimore, and the convenience makes me really tempted to book another cruise out of PoB. We went on Grandeur last year on a 7 day cruise to Bermuda (the cruise right before the fire), and I loved being able to drive to the port, get on the ship, and not worry about flights.

That said... we're not overly interested in cruising on Grandeur a second time. The first time was great, but we want to explore bigger ships, and PoB has very limited options. The Carnival Pride is the only other ship there right now, and I understand that's leaving PoB shortly.

It's really about your preferences. Like RSLeesburg, we have a small child, and RS' point about the kids' club is spot-on. :) Our DS was 3 when we cruised on Grandeur and didn't care that there isn't a merry-go-round or Flowrider on that ship. I suspect he'll feel differently in about 5 years. :)

We enjoyed Grandeur and would probably cruise on her again because of the PoB. We're trying the Explorer out of NJ later this year and don't mind driving 3-4 hours to try something new. Quantum will be based out of NJ, so I'm certain we'll sail on her eventually. I wish RCI would base another ship out of PoB--it seems to be a pretty popular port (outside of Florida) on here.

Edited by alligeek

A 'unique ' individual with a most 'interesting ' personality. I loved his daily broadcast on the Tv. He's one of those entirely to happy with their jobs people without resorting to drugs or alcohol. Just interacting with him as he wanders around is great.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forums mobile app

Thx ! Sure, i agree at 200% ! :D

the over all feeling on ship is one of friendship as opposed to never seeing the same person twice on the larger ships

Exactly ! After 3 days, we know everybody... But when we want to see someone.. Impossible to find ! :D:D

now see, Ricky was not my favorite, I thought he was just annoying especially when 'on stage'

lol...we never saw him on stage, we just ran into him several times at Starbucks... But I wonder if Daryl was on our cruise or not, his name does not sound familiar. I will need to look at our cruise compasses.

Love the Grandeur, and Baltimore I can't say enough good things about it, we sailed last Thanksgiving, and I think we may go back on her this Thanksgiving! Its only eight days, but a great itinerary!

We are on the 2014 Thanksgiving Cruise - hope you join us :)

I have heard many many good things about the Grandeur out of Baltimore... And freshly into our first ever cruise, I quickly booked the Grandeur for a wonderful New Years cruise!!! Very excited for that!!!!

I did it this New Year Eve... I'm sure you will LOVE it ! It was awesome !

I have wanted to go out of Baltimore for a while. But my husband has liked the itineraries out of FL or PR better. I hope to get to Baltimore one of these days - would be a great excuse also to tour the city!

We loved sailing out of Baltimore and planned our next cruise from there. We take the Amtrak and go early so we have a full day to enjoy the Inner Harbor area. We're great fans of the water taxi.

We like the smaller ships and could care less about climbing rock walls or flow riding :D:D. We enjoy relaxing, the solarium and of course, the dining.

I wish celebrity would come back or a newer RCCI. I don't wish to take the other line there. Looks like if no five night ones are avail we may fly.. We'll see I have a year to figure this out

I second Celebrity coming back.....wish RC would read these and do something about Carnival Pride leaving and Grandeur being the only cruise ship going out of Baltimore!!

Would you rather fly to FLL

To take a newer ship? after rewarding about the fire etc and that it was built in mid 90's not sure how appealing it will be if we do LOS six months before.. Plus doesn't appear to have five nights anymore out of Baltimore and 8 is too long.

Based on your last comment, you might want to start with duration & work you way back to the ships that fit your parameters.

I prefer longer trips, so 10 nights immediately put Grandeur near the top of my list. I also prefer to drive to the port (a "short" distance), so the Baltimore location also was a good fit for me. None of the bells & whistles of the newer ships override the length of the trip or the proximity of the port for me.

The crew of Grandeur is wonderful! They treat you like family and are so friendly and helpful.

I guess this varies, we just got off last week and had the worse cruise ever. our room steward was rude and snappy. he never introduced himself, he would just stare at us. the people next door thought he was creepy too. He got angry when we came back and he was cleaning and we just wanted to change into swim suits for the hot tub. I felt very uncomfortable around him and was glad i was not alone. Or assistant waiter was new and the first thing he did was roll the roll off the table onto the floor then missed the plate a second time. our head waiter diod not believe DH when he said thier was something wrong with the sugar free vanilla icecreame. It tasted like cold sand and he had it 2 nights before and it was fine, She made him feel foolish until another head waiter came over and said that thier customer said it tasted like cold sand too. I would rather fly to florida and have a good cruise. Now the windjammer staff was very friendly. Of they dont have enough seating for the shows and activities, poeple had to sit on the floor or just not see it. This occured regularly and it actually felt like there were more people on granduer than when we went on oasis due to the poor seating plans .

We are on the 2014 Thanksgiving Cruise - hope you join us :)

I will be sure to let you know, we have until Thursday to decide!!! It is sooooo tempting!!! We are doing a b2b on the pride end of august, the school gives us a hard time when our son goes on cruises during the school year, that is all that is holding me back from booking! We always tell the school he learns more on a cruise......this past fall we took two cruises so he missed ten days of school, we did the pride in sept, and the ten day thanksgiving cruise!

I guess this varies, we just got off last week and had the worse cruise ever. our room steward was rude and snappy. he never introduced himself, he would just stare at us. the people next door thought he was creepy too. He got angry when we came back and he was cleaning and we just wanted to change into swim suits for the hot tub. I felt very uncomfortable around him and was glad i was not alone. Or assistant waiter was new and the first thing he did was roll the roll off the table onto the floor then missed the plate a second time. our head waiter diod not believe DH when he said thier was something wrong with the sugar free vanilla icecreame. It tasted like cold sand and he had it 2 nights before and it was fine, She made him feel foolish until another head waiter came over and said that thier customer said it tasted like cold sand too. I would rather fly to florida and have a good cruise. Now the windjammer staff was very friendly. Of they dont have enough seating for the shows and activities, poeple had to sit on the floor or just not see it. This occured regularly and it actually felt like there were more people on granduer than when we went on oasis due to the poor seating plans .

Most of what you posted (other than the feeling of crowding) can and does happen on any ship. Flying to FL will not guarantee you a "good" cruise or vacation. By comparison, our first RCI cruise was on Grandeur and we found everyone friendly and never felt crowded. We though Allure was too big and the worst crowding we've found was on EX, but even that was tolerable.

Hi!

I wouldn't do Grandeur again simply because of its size. We did the two out, three in Bermuda (beautiful and will go back), two back. It was nice, the staff was great, the ship was just too small. We kept running into the same people CONSTANTLY. There just wasn't anywhere else to go except deck 9 it seemed and once you saw everything...which didn't take long...it was eat, drink, smoke (if you're a smoker).

Also, the shows, while great were crowded. They had things in the Centrium (or as I kept calling it the Posiden Adventure Escape Room) but seating was a nightmare. I literally thought people were going to fight.

So I'm driving up to NJ to take the Explorer.

We love sailing out of Baltimore and have done it a number of times on the Celebrity Mercury, Carnival Pride and Enchantment before it moved to PC. We'll be on Grandeur in March for the first time and look forward to it.

As an alternative to Baltimore and for a five-night cruise to Bermuda, and a bigger ship, you could consider Explorer out of Cape Liberty. I'm not sure how far you are from Baltimore and in what direction. We live an hour west and Cape Liberty takes 3.5 hours to get to, but is worth it to us to not have to fly and have access to a bigger ship. And if you wait until 2015, Quantum will be in New Jersey.

We're heading to Florida this weekend for a cruise on Indy on Sunday. Part of that decision was the desire to try a bigger ship and after being on a Voyager class, we're excited to try a Freedom class ship, but I definitely agree with everyone that there are reasons to consider all the different ships and ports.

Explorer typically does a 5-night to Bermuda with an overnight there. We were on her in May for a 5-night and 9-night Bermuda/E. Caribbean b2b, ironically at the same time GOS had her fire.

Happy Cruising!

Would you rather fly to FLL

To take a newer ship? after rewarding about the fire etc and that it was built in mid 90's not sure how appealing it will be if we do LOS six months before.. Plus doesn't appear to have five nights anymore out of Baltimore and 8 is too long.

Grandeur has a great 7 night to Bermuda and driving a day trumps flying anytime!

We aren't able to do a seven night so

considering flying to FLL and taking 4 night carribean princess.. Anyone been on that ship? Leaves thur comes back

Mon morning.. A lot less work to miss

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app