Cigarette smoking on verandas

Calebo

Twenty or thirty years ago I might have agreed with you, but today there are significant restrictions placed on where one can smoke. Whereas in the past the assumption was that you could always smoke in your place of work, at your favourite restaurant or any hotel room that you booked, that is simply no longer the case.

As smokers form a small minority group today, Celebrity or a TA is unlikely to volunteer to a potential customer the lines smoking policy, but would be happy to do so if asked. Any smoker considering his or her first cruise should ask, just as they should ask about the policy of a hotel they've not stayed in previously or a restaurant that they've not dined in.

Yes, at this point in history smokers should be asking about the policy when booking. It can't be a surprise that there will be restrictions on smoking.

As we are about to take our first Celebrity cruise I have posted a few times on this forum. I have been surprised and disappointed at some of the aggressive vitriolic responses to my somewhat innocuous posts. I do now wonder if Celebrity is the right choice for us.

Cb

Whoa, I agree. Answers on here really point out the difference between what Andy suggested for people's helpfulness and treatment of others and what is occurring here..............

Perhaps a bit of perspective may be helpful. Celebrity introduced their strict smoking policies a number of years ago. They have been the industry leader in providing a nearly smoke free environment, and we have seen most of the mass market lines slowly beginning to follow suit. Many of the posters here have been cruising with Celebrity for years, and many of them nave been visiting the Celebrity forum for years as well. Many of us choose Celebrity partially for this very policy, so we may get a bit protective of it. It is safe to say that for the veterans, they have seen the smoking issue raised many, many times. And, many of those times it has been by people complaining about the policy, or bragging about ignoring it and getting away with it.

So, it is understandable that when this same topic comes up over and over again, people who understand and appreciate the policy as it is are sometimes a bit less tolerant that they could be when someone takes issue with it. When they have to post the same information over and over again to try to inform new Celebrity customers of the policies, sometimes they lack the patience that they once had on the first couple hundred times they were trying to inform. I am probably guilty of this myself.

So, please cut us a bit of slack. We have been saying the same thing over and over again so many times that we may have become a bit too direct. Bottom line is that the policy is what it is. Many of us appreciate it. We don't appreciate posts that are critical of the policy, and our wording may reflect that frustration.

If you are a parent and have had to tell your child "NO" over and over again, you may understand what I am talking about. ;)

Edited by fortinweb

Celebrity has it's rules but then there is the ship and the question of do the employees know the rules and are they willing to enforce them. We the customers must hold Celebrity to their own rules. Anyone smoking on the balcony will be reported, anyone with an e cig in a non-smoking area - I will complain, sorry but I don't want to be near your vapor. If everyone would follow the rules we could all just get along. When the rules state that I can't wear perfume (as my dr.'s office does) then I'll not wear it. Also - I have family that smoke - these days they don't go anywhere without knowing the smoking policy, it is mho that the vast majority of smokers know about the balcony rule but want to "test" it - then claim ignorance.

Never had a problem on Celebrity. Did not realize X had a strict no smoking policy either. We quit smoking years ago, so don't even think about it. Living in California, rarely see folks smoking anywhere here.

We cruise Princess, HAL, Cunard and NCL... once in awhile have found a cigar smoker on a balcony, generally rare on all lines. We do longer cruises generally. Suspect the smokers have all died.

Only place noticed it was in Miami in a hotel restaurant... not pleasant... folks were not US citizens, see it in Europe too, less so thank goodness.

Many people will book a cruise impulsively, for whatever reason, without first stopping to research every aspect of the cruise line's policy.

Often it is because friends or family members are going on that cruise, or recommended it, or because they were just offered a bargain price too good to resist.

It seems to me that it would be sensible to post a no smoking on balcony sign right on the door leading to the balcony, at eye level.

I have seen notices posted there saying not to toss cigarette butts overboard, but not stating that smoking on the balcony is prohibited.

Many people will book a cruise impulsively, for whatever reason, without first stopping to research every aspect of the cruise line's policy.

Often it is because friends or family members are going on that cruise, or recommended it, or because they were just offered a bargain price too good to resist.

It seems to me that it would be sensible to post a no smoking on balcony sign right on the door leading to the balcony, at eye level.

I have seen notices posted there saying not to toss cigarette butts overboard, but not stating that smoking on the balcony is prohibited.

OMG a reasonable answer. I would actually put a sign right on the balcony.

My 1st post in this thread was about 1st time X cruisers - especially since the 1,2,3 promo - really did not know they could not smoke on the balcony. Of course the die hards jumped down my throat saying that those people were either dumb for not reading every piece of literature left in their cabins or were lying and testing the policy.

Hi Everyone,

As the question has been "asked & answered", and numerous posts were subsequently deleted, this thread is now closed.

Thanks for your understanding.