New York

brian_uk

And here is yet another New Yorker now living in SoCal: I second the motion for the Barclay. We stay here often in NY - charming older hotel, great location, good service. Convenient to Grand Central Station and easy access to all parts of midtown.

There is a brand new Hilton Garden Inn on 54th St between 7th & 8th Aves. If you put the code 2669220 into the corporate discount box (not the regular discount box), there are some great rates. We're paying $159 for May 2-5, a fabulous price for NYC.

Somehow I missed this on the Travelzoo. I will be in NYC with my young granddaughter a few days after you. I had made a reservation already and this rate saved me a thousand dollars for our stay. It isn't my first choice location, but it is still a great location for things I plan to do. I am so thrilled as I had spent several hours trying to beat my first reservation without success. We have a microwave and fridge which will come in handy for breakfasts. THANK YOU for sharing, Andee. I am thrilled. PS The only cruise on this trip will be the Circle Line two-hour evening tour around southern Manhattan :). Since my husband and I were born and raised in Manhattan, it will be so much fun showing her where it all took place.

smallturtle,

If you want to be near the Museum of Metroplitan Art the best choice imo is The Mark on Madison. Really a great hotel but it's not close to most of the other major sights in NY. Located somewhere between the Met and Moma is the Regency on 61st and Park which has just reopened this week after a hundred million dollar renovation. And of course there's the new Park Hyatt at One 57 to look foreword to later this Spring. So lots of choices.

Somehow I missed this on the Travelzoo. I will be in NYC with my young granddaughter a few days after you. I had made a reservation already and this rate saved me a thousand dollars for our stay. It isn't my first choice location, but it is still a great location for things I plan to do. I am so thrilled as I had spent several hours trying to beat my first reservation without success. We have a microwave and fridge which will come in handy for breakfasts. THANK YOU for sharing, Andee. I am thrilled. PS The only cruise on this trip will be the Circle Line two-hour evening tour around southern Manhattan :). Since my husband and I were born and raised in Manhattan, it will be so much fun showing her where it all took place.

I went to the Hilton Garden site entered 2669220 for the hilton garden Central Park south, the rate for May 20 and 21 came to

$296 per night plus taxes. This was for 2 people for a standard king bed. Any suggestions?

smallturtle,

If you want to be near the Museum of Metroplitan Art the best choice imo is The Mark on Madison. Really a great hotel but it's not close to most of the other major sights in NY. Located somewhere between the Met and Moma is the Regency on 61st and Park which has just reopened this week after a hundred million dollar renovation. And of course there's the new Park Hyatt at One 57 to look foreword to later this Spring. So lots of choices.

All great choices especially the Mark, provided the OP is not looking for "the low priced spread.";)

There was no mention of budget restrictions which is why I made those recommendations.

We wanted to be near the WTC site to tour. Found New York Marriott Downtown a bargain at $195 + tax. Checked TripAdvisor and it gets excellent reviews. Just another alternative at a great rate!

We liked The Casablanca just off Times Square - a boutique hotel. Rick's Café is on the 1st floor where breakfast is served. In the evening between 6 and 8 you can also enjoy wine and nibbles. The café is open 24/7 for guests to enjoy coffee, tea and juice. This is all included in the room rate.

I went to the Hilton Garden site entered 2669220 for the hilton garden Central Park south, the rate for May 20 and 21 came to

$296 per night plus taxes. This was for 2 people for a standard king bed. Any suggestions?

I tried, but I just can't seem to replicate where you put in the corporate number. I have been on that page but now there is not a space for it. It is possible that the travelzoo promotion has ended. I did receive the original promotion where it said it ended 3/31. I missed the fine print where it said dates beyond that were also discounted. (Not as heavily -- I originally had five nights at a comparable hotel for $2300 with taxes, and with this promotion I reserved six nights for $1300 (includng the taxes on the lesser amount). I'll try again tomorrow when my mind is fresh.

Thanks for all the suggestions about our 3 days in NY. I guess I am as confused as I will ever be. While there is no specific budget I feel that NY is a lot like London where, if I were staying, I would not spend the big bucks as we would be touring virtually all day and most of the evenings.

I may just stay with the Marriott at Times Square as a Gold Member there are various priveleges. Thanks again.

Brian

I agree that if you are going to be out all day - and many evenings - the hotel itself doesn't matter too much, so long as it is relatively comfortable.

We've stayed in various parts of Manhattan when visiting NYC and while we're not Times Square fans (in terms of activities right in TS), we have chosen to stay there a couple of times when we wanted easy access to theaters and the subway. We could walk to the shows and found it easy to get anywhere pretty quickly via various major underground stops within a few blocks.

Staying down in the Financial District (near the WTC site / Freedom Tower) was interesting - and less expensive - but it did take a lot longer to get out of the neighborhood to midtown and other points north like the Met, MOMA and Rockefeller Center.

For a short stay I'd vote for being as central as possible to the things you want to see, or at least to the subway stations serving those points of interest. It'll save you time to spend sightseeing. Enjoy the trip!

Thanks for all the suggestions about our 3 days in NY. I guess I am as confused as I will ever be. While there is no specific budget I feel that NY is a lot like London where, if I were staying, I would not spend the big bucks as we would be touring virtually all day and most of the evenings.

I may just stay with the Marriott at Times Square as a Gold Member there are various priveleges. Thanks again.

Brian

I live in NY but not the city. However, I have worked in the mid town area for close to 40 years in several areas. No matter where you stay in midtown you will have access to public transportation and taxis. The difference in the areas are their personality. Times Square is loud and touristy but close to the Broadway shows. Rockefeller Center is quiter but just as touristy but has less eateries. What is nice about midtown east is that you are in an area where people actually live and work and therefore have access to lots of restaurants and bars. I have been in many of these hotel rooms and size is not always in proportion to price. If you like more modern larger rooms than go with a Marriott type hotel. Since you will be out on the town 24/7 I would not break the bank for the upscale hotel. A lot of NY is walkable. Decide what you want to do and where you want to go and then decide on the hotel. You will be fine in the hotel you have chosen.