Tell me about Dining on Princess

ebandive

Hi! Going on our first Princess Cruise in March on the Ruby. We have sailed with RCCL, NCL, and Carnival, but are total newbies to all things Princess.

Some specific questions in regards to dining...

I see our ship has two specialty restaurants, Crown Grill and Sabatini's. How much do they run and are they worth it? What's included?

I saw someone say that the buffet food on Princess is the same that is served in the dining room, complete with linen tablecloths and servers to bring your drinks. Is that really the case? Is the quality the same? Does anyone then skip the dining room altogether for the ease and casualness of the buffet? My husband would LOVE this. And I normally dislike buffets, but I could concede to skipping the dining room altogether if this were the case.

What exactly is the international cafe and is there an extra cost?

Any Princess *must haves* in regards to food or drink? Or secrets or little known dining tips? For example, on our NCL cruise we found that in their pizzeria at breakfast they made fresh waffles and such. Not many people knew unless they just stumbled upon it.

And for fun - We are definitely going to get the "soda and more" card - sounds like a great deal! So what's your favorite virgin drink? :D

Can't wait to try Princess! Thanks for all your help!

Edited by ebandive

Hi! Going on our first Princess Cruise in March on the Ruby. We have sailed with RCCL, NCL, and Carnival, but are total newbies to all things Princess.

I see our ship has two specialty restaurants, Crown Grill and Sabatini's. How much do they run and are they worth it? What's included?

I saw someone say that the buffet food on Princess is the same that is served in the dining room, complete with linen tablecloths and servers to bring your drinks. Is that really the case? Is the quality the same? Does anyone then skip the dining room altogether for the ease and casualness of the buffet? My husband would LOVE this. And I normally dislike buffets, but I could concede to skipping the dining room altogether if this were the case.

Any Princess *must haves* in regards to food or drink? Or secrets or little known dining tips? For example, on our NCL cruise we found that in their pizzeria at breakfast they made fresh waffles and such. Not many people knew unless they just stumbled upon it.

And for fun - We are definitely going to get the "soda and more" card - sounds like a great deal! So what's your favorite virgin drink? :D

the International Cafe is a great spot for sandwiches, paninis and salads, pastries and cookies, yogurt parfaits, egg mcmuffins, Gelato (on some ships)soup of the day. It is also the place for fresh brewed coffee and coffee specialties. Gelato is a small charge and coffee and coffee specialties are a small charge.The rest is at no charge.

The Crown Grill and Sabatinis are surcharge restaurants well worth a visit. The price is $20-25 a person.

The buffet does have table service for drinks and placemats or tablecloths (depends on the ship) and a wider assortment of foods to pick from than the dining room. Most times there is a dish on the dining room menu that can also be had in the buffet.

Best pizza at sea and extra special if your ship has Alfredos.

Enjoy your cruise :D

The cost for the speciality restaurants is $25/person. The Crown Gril is a personal favourite. The prime rib is to die for and the lobster is real Maine lobster as opposed to the rock lobster normally served on cruise ships.

If you like speciality coffee which comes from the International Cafe by a coffee card for $31. Good for 15 cups and unlimited fresh brewed coffee 24 hours a day. The coffee in the main dining room is made from a concentrate and many find it bitter. I don't mind it but I've been drinking army coffee for almost 40 years.

The fanciest/most coveted meals in the MDR are normally served on formal nights. The lobster almost always is. It can go from great to mushy.

Food is hugely subjective. Ihave had a bad meal on Princess but they have been far and few between. Thats one of the reasons DW and I cruise them exclusivly now.

My wife and I eat dinner in the buffet quite often. They don't offer the exact same menu as the Dining Room. Usually there's one or two entrees from that night's menu, but mostly the buffet serves different items. I know food is subjective, but I have always been happy with the quality and variety of the food in the buffet. As for table settings at dinner. I haven't seen linen tablecloths, but they do set up the table a little nicer than at lunch. And they do serve drinks. (But Princess does that at breakfast and lunch as well.) Here are a few photos that show how the buffet tables are set up for dinner:

5513972104_e7fb0f07f2_z.jpg

Golden Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

7391015508_d0b7733a4a_z.jpg

Coral Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

As for the International Cafe, think of it more as Take Away food. At breakfast time they'll have donuts and danish. The rest of the day will offer pre-made sandwiches, salads and a wide selection of desserts. There is no extra charge for any of that. The only charge would be for the gelato and drinks. Here are a few photos of the offerings at the International Cafe:

5440205642_70e46831f2_z.jpg

5425196029_1c3faa745d_z.jpg

5425799802_490ddd381e_z.jpg

In the fee of $20-25, you will received the best treatment ever - a 4 star restaurant! You can select any or all of the above off the menu but I don't know where you would put all of it! Serving sizes are larger than life. Drinks are extra - alcohol and sodas. But you get apps to desserts for the price. They usually put the best waiters and waitresses in these places too. Can't miss trying at least one. The menus are posted outside the door of the restaurant so you can check each out and then decide! Many people will choose one of these for formal night as they do not want to get dressed up for the main dining rooms. Personally, I feel these two places need you to be MORE dressed up as they are so good!

Yes, they do have some of the same things in the buffet that are being served in the MDR but it has been sitting in warming trays and can be more like a typical buffet. I find the food in the MDR better on most nights than what I see in the buffet. The Coral, two winters ago had the most amazing buffet food and we did eat there most nights. So, it depends on ship and cruise as the staff do move around.

There are no extra costs here. They serve soups, sandwiches, breakfast treats, desserts, and salads all day long. The fresh coffee and special coffee drinks are usually made here as well and you do need a coffee card or you will be charged for that if you do not.

On the day you get on, the main dining room is open for lunch. Do not let the staff tell you otherwise. You do not have to go with everyone else to the buffet and try to find a seat. You can start your vacation in a 'civilized way' by having a quiet sit down and be served lunch!

We will go to the buffet in the mid afternoon on some days, get some of the cheeses and crackers, take them back to our room and enjoy a drink on our balcony. Kind of a get away idea.

You must try the afternoon tea one day as well. I think it is served around 3:30 in the afternoon in one of the main dining rooms. You are served (with white gloves that don't fit the servers - to funny to see) hot tea, small sandwiches, scones with jams and clotted cream, and small desserts. To die for!

Try just sitting on a lounge chair for MUTS and have burgers, fries and pizza for dinner. They do come around with popcorn as well and sell candy too. But, above all else enjoy your cruise your way!

Reading your patter every day and highlighting the activities you think you want to attend helps. We love to play trivia games and will attend most of them. It's not for the prizes but you meet lots of new people and learn new things at each one!

When playing trivia, I like to have a virgin strawberry daiquiri. I tried a couple of the others but didn't venture too far out of my comfort zone. I will be doing more so on my next cruise! Make up one, if they have the ingredients, they will make it for you!

Have a great cruise and enjoy!

We also like doing anytime dining when it is just the two of us as we can enjoy our day and eat when we feel like it instead of 'having' to be at a table every night. We ask to be seated at a large table so we can meet new people too. If we really like someone, we will make plans to meet up for other activities. If it didn't work out, it was only one meal and we will try at the next meal!

The afternoon tea is wonderful so many good choices and the best scones I have had. I love them. I really enjoy the international cafe as well. Great cream filled donutes, chicken salad, etc. Now I am hungry thinking about all the good stuff they have to offer.

ooooh, thanks so much for all the photos and information! I am drooling and I am going to gain SO much weight! haha. So worth it!

Do the menus change nightly at the specialty restaurants or is there just a standard menu for them? 4 star filet mignon sounds heavenly right now.

there I go drooling again. :eek:

ooooh, thanks so much for all the photos and information! I am drooling and I am going to gain SO much weight! haha. So worth it!

Do the menus change nightly at the specialty restaurants or is there just a standard menu for them? 4 star filet mignon sounds heavenly right now.

there I go drooling again. :eek:

The menues in the specialty restaurants are the same each night. There are many selections. :D

When you booked your cruise, you should have been asked your choice of early traditional, late traditional, or anytime. At least one dining room is traditional, the others are anytime, but one of the anytime rooms may have early seating because of the demand (we always ask for late traditional, but a couple of cruises ago we were waitlisted for our choice, and ended up in anytime, which we absolutely disliked). This is for dinner.

Otherwise, the dining options are:

Breakfast in one of the main dining rooms (which will be open seating), the Horizon Court (my hubby like the made-to-order omelets and my teen likes the Belgian Waffles), the International Cafe (look at Jasperdo's photos: it's not an enclosed eatery, but display cases of light meals; you can eat there in the Piazza if you can find an available table or take your plate elsewhere, even to your cabin).

Lunch: again, one MDR is open but on sea days only; the Horizon Court, the IC, the pizzeria and grill by the pool on the Lido Deck that has the Movies Under the Stars screen, sometimes the Crown Grill will have a free pub lunch, some ships have Alfredos, which is a fancier pizza place than the pool side one, but it's dine in only.

Dinner: all the MDRs are open (your cabin card will list your assigned room and table if you have traditional), the pizzeria, grill, the Horizon Court, IC, the specialty restaurants (usually a good idea to get a reservation, especially if there's a specific day you want).

As noted above, afternoon tea, yummy cookies at the IC and the Horizon Court mid-afternoon, the Sundaes bar by the pool for an ice cream treat during the day and evening (if watching MUTS, there'll be a popcorn machine there).

The Horizon Court will have a few of the items that are in the MDR. There's a salad bar from lunch time on. Lots of desserts (including fat-free, sugar-free, and gluten-free). A carving station. Lots of fresh fruit, especially at breakfast time. A soup bar and some pre-made sandwiches (but note, most ports won't let you take food off the ship and some people new to cruising don't realize this until the food-sniffing dogs point at your backpack; if you think you may need a snack off the ship and don't want to find a local eatery, bring factory-sealed snacks). When getting food in the buffet, there's a large platter, bowls, etc. in the food service office. Get in line for the island (main entrees/sides, breads, desserts, salad, etc) you want, and then find yourself a table (I know on the Golden, there were two sides of the Horizon, and each side had the main room for dining plus a back room that would often have available tables). A beverage server will stop by and ask if you want something to drink. They'll get you coffee, water, juice (OJ at breakfast, lemonade the rest of the time), or will get you something from the bar (which of course is for a charge).

If you see an evening movie at Movies Under the Stars out on deck, its nice to duck into the Horizon Court buffet and pick up a plate of goodies to carry out to the movie. We were thrilled to get a big plate of peel and eat shrimp, and crab claws and those wonderful Princess rolls and butter to see us through the movie. Lordy, Im hungry now.

One of our favorite spots is the Trident Grill by the pools! Their thin crust pizza is fresh and delicious. Also can't complain about their fresh cheeseburgers and hot dogs. Cheap food but very fresh, hot and delicious.

So you can't get free black coffee in the international cafe?? I am used to the cafe Promenade on RCCL where you can get morning black coffee:(!

If you purchase a specialty coffee card for cappucinos, mochas etc., you get the brewed coffee free at the International cafe, 24 hours a day.:)

If you see an evening movie at Movies Under the Stars out on deck, its nice to duck into the Horizon Court buffet and pick up a plate of goodies to carry out to the movie. We were thrilled to get a big plate of peel and eat shrimp, and crab claws and those wonderful Princess rolls and butter to see us through the movie. Lordy, Im hungry now.

I'm looking forward to MUTS and this is a great idea. Off topic a bit, but do the MUTS play at a certain time each night, or several times throughout the evening?

So you can't get free black coffee in the international cafe?? I am used to the cafe Promenade on RCCL where you can get morning black coffee:(!

I'm kind of bummed about this. I only drink black coffee too, so since I'll be purchasing the soda & more card already I don't want to spend $31 just for black coffee... seems kind of silly. But then again, I do need my coffee.:rolleyes:

When you booked your cruise' date=' you should have been asked your choice of early traditional, late traditional, or anytime. At least one dining room is traditional, the others are anytime, but one of the anytime rooms may have early seating because of the demand (we always ask for late traditional, but a couple of cruises ago we were waitlisted for our choice, and ended up in anytime, which we absolutely disliked). This is for dinner.

Otherwise, the dining options are:

Breakfast in one of the main dining rooms (which will be open seating), the Horizon Court (my hubby like the made-to-order omelets and my teen likes the Belgian Waffles), the International Cafe (look at Jasperdo's photos: it's not an enclosed eatery, but display cases of light meals; you can eat there in the Piazza if you can find an available table or take your plate elsewhere, even to your cabin).

Lunch: again, one MDR is open but on sea days only; the Horizon Court, the IC, the pizzeria and grill by the pool on the Lido Deck that has the Movies Under the Stars screen, sometimes the Crown Grill will have a free pub lunch, some ships have Alfredos, which is a fancier pizza place than the pool side one, but it's dine in only.

Dinner: all the MDRs are open (your cabin card will list your assigned room and table if you have traditional), the pizzeria, grill, the Horizon Court, IC, the specialty restaurants (usually a good idea to get a reservation, especially if there's a specific day you want).

As noted above, afternoon tea, yummy cookies at the IC and the Horizon Court mid-afternoon, the Sundaes bar by the pool for an ice cream treat during the day and evening (if watching MUTS, there'll be a popcorn machine there).

The Horizon Court will have a few of the items that are in the MDR. There's a salad bar from lunch time on. Lots of desserts (including fat-free, sugar-free, and gluten-free). A carving station. Lots of fresh fruit, especially at breakfast time. A soup bar and some pre-made sandwiches (but note, most ports won't let you take food off the ship and some people new to cruising don't realize this until the food-sniffing dogs point at your backpack; if you think you may need a snack off the ship and don't want to find a local eatery, bring factory-sealed snacks). When getting food in the buffet, there's a large platter, bowls, etc. in the food service office. Get in line for the island (main entrees/sides, breads, desserts, salad, etc) you want, and then find yourself a table (I know on the Golden, there were two sides of the Horizon, and each side had the main room for dining plus a back room that would often have available tables). A beverage server will stop by and ask if you want something to drink. They'll get you coffee, water, juice (OJ at breakfast, lemonade the rest of the time), or will get you something from the bar (which of course is for a charge).[/quote']

This was very helpful, thanks for taking the time to write out the descriptions.

Typically on cruises we eat every breakfast and lunch at the buffet. On the first day we try to pick out the least crowded (usually farthest) section and make that our "spot" for eating breakfast and lunch each day. Makes it easy to meet up and find each other if we get split up while getting our food.

And we are very fond of tea times on every ship we have ever been on. It's always been one of our favorite times. Looking forward to experience it on Princess as I keep hearing about these scones! :D