Sunshine repairs....

Fun, Fun 44

This weekend I am booking the New Years cruise on Sunshine. Although these posts kind of scare me sometimes, I am going full steam ahead with our plans. I think everyone has to see for themselves.

We were on the last 2 New Years cruises on the Breeze & the complaints afterwards & some on the ship were incredible. I never once smelled a sewage smell anywhere or anytime on that ship & I have a great sense of smell. People would complain about the lines at the buffet...never once did we encounter long lines except for the longer wait time at mongolian wok. But that's to be expected because they are cooking it fresh.

I am complainer by nature (as per my Husband lol) & the only thing I ever complained about on the last 2 cruises was having to sign every time I got a drink. I still don't understand that system :rolleyes:

Sometimes people just feel the need to find something wrong with everything & make a bigger issue than there really is. I say form your own opinion & see for yourself!

• 2 weeks later...
This weekend I am booking the New Years cruise on Sunshine. Although these posts kind of scare me sometimes, I am going full steam ahead with our plans. I think everyone has to see for themselves.

We were on the last 2 New Years cruises on the Breeze & the complaints afterwards & some on the ship were incredible. I never once smelled a sewage smell anywhere or anytime on that ship & I have a great sense of smell. People would complain about the lines at the buffet...never once did we encounter long lines except for the longer wait time at mongolian wok. But that's to be expected because they are cooking it fresh.

I am complainer by nature (as per my Husband lol) & the only thing I ever complained about on the last 2 cruises was having to sign every time I got a drink. I still don't understand that system :rolleyes:

Sometimes people just feel the need to find something wrong with everything & make a bigger issue than there really is. I say form your own opinion & see for yourself!

That's funny about your complaint. The only thing my husband could find to complain about on our last cruise was our whole row being neglected during the past cruisers party. We watched as rows in front and behind were served and we asked for service, others asked for service. Finally we started seeing drinks and snacks. It was kind of odd, never happened before, but surely nothing to actually document as a problem.

We almost booked that New Year's cruise, but decided to do the next week so our adult son and his friend could come along...they work the holiday. I saw your roll call has started, but not ours. Anyway, I understand having second thoughts about the Sunshine, especially with a poor overall satisfaction rating on CC, less than 60 percent the week we booked. Hope that increases this year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

I was on the Sunshine Jan 5th sailing. We had no smells, no buckets and no flooding showers. What we did have was a fabulous time!! Yes there were things I'd rather have a different way but overall there are no complaints that would keep me from sailing her again.

I got off Sunshine last sunday, I will never cruise Sunshine again not for me. Best food on any cruise and great crew but to many problems on the ship - Shower, sink, buckets, carpet fans in the hallways numerous things just not working right. Aircon was worked on ect. I must say this ship had the most work related noise of all my 13 carnival cruises. Ship should be back in drydock and fixed before sailing again. I booked Carnival Dream out of New Orleans for cruise 14. Maybe cruise 13 was just bad luck!!

It seems this ship's destiny is to have ongoing problems. Making some cosmetic changes, calling it by another name, and sending it to a different port certainly did not help.

Here's hoping you have a great cruise on this ship. Bon Voyage--or maybe just Voyage!

It seems this ship's destiny is to have ongoing problems. Making some cosmetic changes, calling it by another name, and sending it to a different port certainly did not help.

Being that the repairs have been going on since last May, I would agree with your statement.

My worst cruise was on the Destiny too. However I'm eager to find out what has become of her this coming Sunday.

Please post and let us know how your cruise went! We just booked for October. We were a little nervous but we know a cruise is what you make of it! We were torn between 2 ships, hope we made the right call!

Please post and let us know how your cruise went! We just booked for October. We were a little nervous but we know a cruise is what you make of it! We were torn between 2 ships, hope we made the right call!

A cruise should be an inherently wonderful experience. You shouldn't have to go to lengths to make it something that it's not.

A cruise should be an inherently wonderful experience. You shouldn't have to go to lengths to make it something that it's not.

We've always had great cruise experiences! Never went out of our way to make it so....also never went out of our way to find the negative.

Our worst cruise was on the Destiny. Sounds like it's back.

Yes...this. Not sure they could PAY ME to go on that one again. On ours, we missed every port and one of the props went out. We were supposed to stop in Grand Cayman and Jamaica, ended up in Nassau on a National holiday so everything closed at 5pm...we got off the ship at 11-12...so 5 hours.

Yes...this. Not sure they could PAY ME to go on that one again. On ours, we missed every port and one of the props went out. We were supposed to stop in Grand Cayman and Jamaica, ended up in Nassau on a National holiday so everything closed at 5pm...we got off the ship at 11-12...so 5 hours.

I am on this cruise next week. Why would they skip GC and Jamaica and go all the way over to Nassau? This isn't hurricane season!

I noticed lots of negative and some positive posts. Maybe posting what room you were in would help the rest of us know which rooms to look for/stay away from, etc. I am forward on Deck 8 interior. Is that a really bad idea? I can try to change, although it is probably too late.

That's exactly what I had on the Sunshine. Didn't go out of my way one bit either. Just a great cruise from start to end. Hopefully I get to go on her again before she leaves New Orleans.

I am on this cruise next week. Why would they skip GC and Jamaica and go all the way over to Nassau? This isn't hurricane season!

I noticed lots of negative and some positive posts. Maybe posting what room you were in would help the rest of us know which rooms to look for/stay away from, etc. I am forward on Deck 8 interior. Is that a really bad idea? I can try to change, although it is probably too late.

It wasn't hurricane season when the Destiny prop. had issues. They diverted to Nassau so they could work on it. We still had fun and made the best of it, but in our list of cruises, it was DEF. not the best.

Some of the recent post still talk about buckets, can someone show pictures/date. I sail the Sunshine Feb 16 and if I see a bucket I'll take a picture,,,,,,,

Did not see one bucket on my cruise. Well I did see mop buckets the crew was using to clean up. :)

I was also in the 1/05 cruise. I can confirm there was buckets on a couple of floors I saw during cabin crawl. On deck 7 water actually leaked on us as we walked underneath sprinkler, I guess they hadn't got the bucket under it yet. Some slight quick sewer smells different places. Not major issues for me, but then, they weren't outside my door either.

The one thing I can caution you about is rooms on deck six, forward, over the lounge...very very loud!! I didn't have go to the shows to hear what the cruise director was saying, I heard her loud and clear in cabin, along with dance music till 2am......if you want any sleep before then, don't book there, however, if you go to the nightclub every night, wouldn't bother you!

Got off the Sunshine 12/22 and although we did have a BLAST and loved the ship, we were bummed that one of the racing slides were down. We were told that there was something "catching" or scratching, maybe a screw that needed to be ground down? I was surprised that the entire week, we never saw any maintenance. Kids were in longer lines, but it wasn't anything too unbearable.

We did smell sewer smell daily in the Taste Bar/Milkshake area, which is strange because I don't even think there's a restroom that closeby? It was a bit unappetizing, walking to dinner and all.

But otherwise, I really fell in love with the ship and we had a great time!

We just got off the Sunshine last Sunday... we went to the shows 6 nights... no bad smell any night. One slide did not work... not an issue since the line was never that long. Our shower went down slow one day(there was about a 2 inch lip so now sure how they flooded the bathroom floor unless they kept it running... worked normal all other days. Our cabin was on deck 3... I did not see a bucket the entire cruise and I was on most every floor at some point. Buckets were not an issue on the cruise.

Do you have a picture of your cabin?? I made a post and I am very curious in regards to the new cabins on 3.

((SORRY FOR HIJACKING)))

Friends just returned from Sunshine last Sunday. Said front of shipped smelled bad enough they didn't go to any shows. The "racing slides", only one working. The second has been down for 4 weeks staff told them, one of their 8th deck balcony bathroom floor flooded with every shower. Customer Service and cabin steward told about it each day. They expected to be fix each day.....never fix entire cruise. STILL have buckets sitting in hallways. What's up Carnival?? The smell here and there occasionally I understand. Bit not same area entire cruise. As well as the buckets around the ship has been going on for many months. Shower....things happen, but fix it!!!

Hope these are fixed in a couple weeks when we go. I recommend CCL and this happens to some first timers.

Kat

I cruised on Sunshine over New Year's and had a wonderful time. I didn't notice any smells or anything wrong on the ship. I came home thinking that Sunshine might be my favorite ship in the Carnival fleet. I love the waterfall in the Serenity area. All of the 2.0 upgrades were awesome. The food was good.

It sounds like your friends might be better suited for a land-based vacation.

We cruised the Sunshine Jan 19th. Our cabins were on Deck 8 forward. 8181 and 8185. Our shower, sinks and toilets worked.

I did not see any buckets, dripping water, or wet carpet. We attended many shows and games in the Liquid Lounge and never once noticed a foul smell.

The ropes course and all 3 slides were in good working order as my son was on them every chance possible.

I am doing a full review (including a poll) from our cruising group (from a site that cannot be mentioned here) on whether they would cruise this ship again that will be posted on my blog.

As for my family, we LOVED the Sunshine and would have no issues cruising this ship again.... And there was no bacon police either :D

So does anyone know what the real problem is behind the sewage issue?

I ask because in my small suburb where it's been growing by leaps and bounds the last 6 years. When they started building and the 1st wave of new homes in a new subdivision, probably around 600 homes in this particular development caused a huge sewage problem and they finally had to go in and install additional sewage pipes and a new sewage system. Poor city planning is what it boiled down to in the end. It stunk like something horrible for a couple of years or so. Basically, the old sewer lines and system could not handle the new capacity due to the new homes.

It sounds like they keep putting bandaids on it instead of fixing the root cause of it. :confused:

I cruised on Sunshine over New Year's and had a wonderful time. I didn't notice any smells or anything wrong on the ship. I came home thinking that Sunshine might be my favorite ship in the Carnival fleet. I love the waterfall in the Serenity area. All of the 2.0 upgrades were awesome. The food was good.

It sounds like your friends might be better suited for a land-based vacation.

Love hearing the positive things! Thanks!

We cruised the Sunshine Jan 19th. Our cabins were on Deck 8 forward. 8181 and 8185. Our shower, sinks and toilets worked.

I did not see any buckets, dripping water, or wet carpet. We attended many shows and games in the Liquid Lounge and never once noticed a foul smell.

The ropes course and all 3 slides were in good working order as my son was on them every chance possible.

I am doing a full review (including a poll) from our cruising group (from a site that cannot be mentioned here) on whether they would cruise this ship again that will be posted on my blog.

As for my family, we LOVED the Sunshine and would have no issues cruising this ship again.... And there was no bacon police either :D

That's great. Nice to hear such positive things. We are booked on her for New Years!

That's great. Nice to hear such positive things. We are booked on her for New Years!

Cool and thank you. I noticed back when the ship had not been refurbished it still had a CC rating in the mid 70s, similar to the Dream and other well reviewed ships. I also am noticing the current review ratings are going up :-)

Hope someone starts the Jan 3 roll call soon before I think up a cheesy title.

Will be looking for your review and thank you for taking time to do one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

My third CC was on the Dysentry, we were ok because we were cat 11 or 12 and never eat in the buffet.When you combine an outbreak of Dehli Belly and malfunctioning toilets the smell in certain parts of the ship ruined my partners highlights:)

You may want to check your cruise lines that have noro...... I will give you a hint, Carnival is at the bottom on the list and your vaunted Royal is number 1.