Aqua Class Deck 11 Aft on Infinity - Smoke from Below?

donmimi

It seems to me that the smoking section of the Sunset Bar on Deck 10 is just below the aft Aqua class cabins on Deck 11. There is an open stairwell from the bar up to the rear doors to deck 11 and the smoke has been noticeable when going up and down the stairs.

Has anyone actually been been in these cabins and is the smoke bothersome? We are in Cabin 1141 on an upcoming voyage - and the presence of smoke will be a BIG concern.

Edited by donmimi

Could it be the april 14th panama canal cruise?

We just released that cabin for that very reason (and some logistical ones)

It looks to be an ideal location, reports are mixed about the smokers.

IF there arent a lot of them, and they stay far to the port side, and theres a breeze to carry the fumes away, its not a problem. Most people advise to get 1140 or 1138 if available. Theyre not available on that cruise unfortunately.

We spent thirty-two nights in Infinity's cabin 1138 in April 2012 (B2B Panama Canal cruises). We spent a great amount of time on that balcony, and had absolutely no problems with smoke from below. In fact, we did not ever smell any smoke at all. We loved that cabin and location so much that we have it booked for B2B2B cruise in 2015.

It seems to me that the smoking section of the Sunset Bar on Deck 10 is just below the aft Aqua class cabins on Deck 11. There is an open stairwell from the bar up to the rear doors to deck 11 and the smoke has been noticeable when going up and down the stairs.

Has anyone actually been been in these cabins and is the smoke bothersome? We are in Cabin 1141 on an upcoming voyage - and the presence of smoke will be a BIG concern.

If you are underway doing 20 Kts. the smoke will most likely be going out to sea. If you are in port, it all depends on which direction the wind is blowing.

We were in 1138 and our friends were in 1140 on Millie 35 days Honolulu to Singapore Nov 2nd. We had the door opened between the 2 balconies.

My wife can sniff out cigarette smoke on a shirt that has been dry cleaned and I am allergic to it, I will start phlegming up if I come in contact.

We may have noticed a brief sniff once or twice on the cruise, we are balcony people and I enjoyed looking over the rail watching the people below. Always out there on sail a ways and warm sea days.

Trust me if there is any smoke from below encountered it will be brief at worst and the location makes it well worth the slight risk.

You will encounter more smoke if you eat out on the aft from the buffet which we did with no ill effects or if you walk by the pool there is an outside area they allow smoking as well.

Edited by baldercash

Thank you all for your feedback so far. I am still interested to see if anyone has been in 1133 or 1141 - those are the two cabins closest to the port side of the ship - and directly over where they allow the smoking. I am glad to hear 1138 and 1140 had no ill effects (the two middle cabins out of the six on the aft). I am feeling better about our cabin choice but we are are on a British Isles itinerary and it does seem that there is more smoking on European itineraries. I wouldn't be such a wuss except that I, like many, are actually allergic to cigarette smoke.

Again, thanks so much for the feedback, but if there is anyone out there who was actually in 1133 or 1141, we'd love the additional input. Regards.

Edited by donmimi

We have been in 1141. If you can find a picture of the aft I think you will understand why so little smoke reaches 1141. The cabin is adjacent to 1140 (the middle cabin.) Above the actual Sunset Bar is an extensive canvas covering. Smoking is not permitted under the canopy so in essence the smoking area extends from the Lido door port side, to the port rail. Within that totally opened area, there are tables where the smokers are permitted to sit. In essence 2/3 of the Sunset Bar is smoke free.

We never had the first whiff of smoke.

If it is raining there will be no smokers there at all.

If you wish to access the Lido, or Sunset Bar just use the starboard steps.

We were in 1141 on Summit in October, 2012 and spent a lot of time out on our balcony, and I can tell you that I NEVER was bothered by smoke. We loved that cabin and have booked aft Aqua again on several cruises booked for later this year. This time, however, we booked 1138 because we are traveling on a southbound and prefer to have a better view of sunset. Otherwise I would book 1141 in a heartbeat. I actually prefer it to the tunnel-like feel of 1140, even though that one has more sq. ft. of balcony, the angled balcony seems more open with more view.

Glad to know this as my brother and wife booked 1141 on an upcoming cruise with us. I warned them about smoke based on what I had read before. In fact, DH and I booked our AQ on the starboard side of the ship. We avoided the aft all together. We do plan on hanging out on their balcony, though. :D

BTW- Does anyone staying in those AQ's near the aft and aft have trouble with hall traffic noise of those coming and going to the Sunset Bar?

BTW- Does anyone staying in those AQ's near the aft and aft have trouble with hall traffic noise of those coming and going to the Sunset Bar?

We stayed in 1110 which has a sitting area in front of it. Thought we might have a problem if it was actually used. Well, it was used on occasion by as many as five people with no negative effect on us. Cabins further forward might have some traffic coming off the deck. We have 1117 coming up, a bit further aft. I did notice food odors coming up the stair well but there was no effect in the cabin.

Food odors and slamming of doors. . . two things I cannot stand.

We are in 1132, one stateroom forward of 1136. Almost booked 1136. So glad that we didn't. :) Did you hear the door slamming when on your balcony?

Edited by Iamthesea

Actually I spent a lot of time in the room because I was sick with Bronchitis and I really didn't hear the door bang that often. I guess one thing to take into consideration is, ours was the sailing from Shanghai to Seward in April and it was quite cold/windy so maybe not a lot of people using those stairs on that sailing. The room stewards we had were the best we have had on 20 cruises. I don't think you would hear the door bang if you were out on the balcony. We didn't smell any food, not many eating outside though.

Had 1132 on the Millie last May to Alaska. Quiet, no smoke, back door not a problem. Enjoy!!

Food odors and slamming of doors. . . two things I cannot stand.

We are in 1132, one stateroom forward of 1136. Almost booked 1136. So glad that we didn't. :) Did you hear the door slamming when on your balcony?

There are 4 exterior doors to the new deck 11, Two are forward and two aft. The port forward door is closest to Qsine so may get a tad more traffic if anyone is going via the open deck. There is only one passenger stairway/elevator corridor and it lead into the foyer for the Lido - both pool and restaurant and lower decks. The exterior aft stairways lead to the Sunset Bar.

The doors are very heavy and if it's windy they are hard to open and fairly quick to close, this the possibility of noise. This should not affect many cabins at all.

There is very little foot traffic on 11. It's really only convenient to the deck 11 cabins.

Hope this helps.

Actually I spent a lot of time in the room because I was sick with Bronchitis and I really didn't hear the door bang that often. I guess one thing to take into consideration is, ours was the sailing from Shanghai to Seward in April and it was quite cold/windy so maybe not a lot of people using those stairs on that sailing. The room stewards we had were the best we have had on 20 cruises. I don't think you would hear the door bang if you were out on the balcony. We didn't smell any food, not many eating outside though.

Had 1132 on the Millie last May to Alaska. Quiet, no smoke, back door not a problem. Enjoy!!

Thank you all, I feel better. Love the location for getting around. :)

I really like deck 11, as it's kind of out of the way, though forward cabins 1100-1104 or so might get a bit of traffic and door noise off the deck. We had no problem at all in our stateroom or on the balcony where I spent many happy hours.