Best cruise line to Australia and New Zealand

esper10

• 4 weeks later...

I have cruise HAL to New Zealand and Australia in October which is fall and cruise RCL Australia in February which is Spring. Both lines were enjoyable but the weather was better in the Spring. Less rain and nicer temperates.

I have cruise HAL to New Zealand and Australia in October which is fall and cruise RCL Australia in February which is Spring. Both lines were enjoyable but the weather was better in the Spring. Less rain and nicer temperates.

BTW. October in Australia is Spring, not Fall (we call it Autumn) and February is still summer. Autumn begins in March.

Wouldnt catch me in one of those small ships crossing the ditch between Australia and NZ. Bad enough sometimes in the big ones. Guess you could be lucky though.

RCL Radiance of the Seas does a 12-night cruise to NZ stopping at ports on both North & South Islands and cruising the Sounds. Late Nov/Dec is a good time to cruise because it will be coming into Summer-hopefully it should be milder in the North Island and not too cold in the South (although you can never predict NZ weather). Radiance offers lots of glass viewing areas and a covered adult pool area (as recommended by another poster) and you can stand out on the bow of the boat (helicopter pad) whilst you go thru the Sounds (weather permitting, of course)

BTW. October in Australia is Spring, not Fall (we call it Autumn) and February is still summer. Autumn begins in March.

Wouldnt catch me in one of those small ships crossing the ditch between Australia and NZ. Bad enough sometimes in the big ones. Guess you could be lucky though.

We're planning to take a Princess cruise from Brisbane, round trip to New Zealand, next October. Do you think we'd have a problem? Thanks so much for your help!

We're planning to take a Princess cruise from Brisbane, round trip to New Zealand, next October. Do you think we'd have a problem? Thanks so much for your help!

Probably would not have any problems at all. We just prefer slightly bigger but have sailed Rhapsody of the Seas at about 80,000 tonne and that was fine in all seas.

Princess sails regularly out of Brisbane and Sydney to NZ. Guess you just have to be unlucky to cop the weather they are having over there this week. Sometimes the winds in the sounds are very strong that prevents conventional ships entering, but that is rare. You just have to be aware that sometimes ports in NZ are missed due to weather. The same can happen in the Pacific Islands so no reason to alter plans.

Hugh

We just booked Celebrity, Sydney to Auckland in January 2015. We liked the itinerary and the prices were better than Royal. Soltice is a very nice ship. Anyone else been on this cruise? Your thoughts.

I loved our 14-night Sydney to Auckland cruise on the Solstice in January 2014. However, it was almost all New Zealand and very little Australia. The cruise after ours started in Auckland and ended in Fremantle, so it stopped at a few more ports in Australia.

There's no way you can see it all in just a few weeks. When our cruise ended in Auckland, I spent 2 weeks traveling aroung the South Island, then flew to Tasmania for 10 days. I hope to return to see more of mainland Australia -whether by cruise ship or land tour.

We are thinking of cruising to Australia and New zealand. We are trying to find best cruise line specialize in this destination as far as the ports. We always cruise with RCCL and Celebrity but not sure if they offer the best cruise. For us it will be once in a life time destination this why we decided. Thanks in advanced.

NancyIL: I loved our 14-night Sydney to Auckland cruise on the Solstice in January 2014. However' date=' it was almost all New Zealand and very little Australia. The cruise after ours started in Auckland and ended in Fremantle, so it stopped at a few more ports in Australia. [b']There's no way you can see it all in just a few weeks.[/b] When our cruise ended in Auckland, I spent 2 weeks traveling aroung the South Island, then flew to Tasmania for 10 days. I hope to return to see more of mainland Australia -whether by cruise ship or land tour.

We sailed with Nancy on the same 14-day Sydney to Auckland, Celebrity Solstice cruise, Jan. 20-Feb. 3. Great cruise, but as wisely noted, no one or two cruises can do it "ALL" for both of these great countries. As outlined below in my live/blog, we did eight days prior to our cruise for seeing Cairns/Great Barrier Reef/Rainforest and then time in Adelaide doing Kangaroo Island before having two and half days in Sydney. Then, on our cruise, we had a stop in Tasmania. Australia is big, big. But, we only experienced a small sampling there.

For New Zealand, we got a better sampling there via the cruise, including doing an overnight, two-day ship excursion to Queenstown, plus two extra days in and around Auckland after compelling our sailing, etc., etc. But, still, it was only a "sampling"!! But, a great experience, too!!

As my pictures prove, we had a great, super time in both countries with this combination of sailing and before/after land trips.

FIRST, you need to consider what is most important for your personal interests, travel style and budget. Better budget can make your logistics work better, smoother.

SECOND, timing can be a factor. We would have liked to have seen Ayers Rock/Alice Springs in the middle of Australia. BUT, January is their summer and that part of this huge nation can be both hot and buggy. Had to skip that stop.

Tell us more on your priorities, past world travels, how important nature/wildlife are for you, etc. Happy to share more. Answer any questions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at over 40,132 views for this fun posting.

Australia will be warmer then New Zealand at that time of year, but still a cold time to cruise really. Did my first cruise from NZ to the Pacific starting on 26 Oct, but going there and on the return it was not warm enough to swim in the ship pools or sit outside.

We just booked Celebrity, Sydney to Auckland in January 2015. We liked the itinerary and the prices were better than Royal. Soltice is a very nice ship. Anyone else been on this cruise? Your thoughts.

alexandra cruiser: Check out the blog by Terry' date=' under Celebrity Solstice(doing that cruise now with live posts and pics).[/quote']

Appreciate the nice mention/plug by alexandra cruiser. Below is the link to those postings, pictures, travel details, ideas, etc.

Good luck to cruising to paradise with your Jan. 2015 Solstice Sydney to Auckland sailing. Agree that the Solstice is a nice ship. Lots of good options for this part of the world. Assume you are on the Jan. 27 Solstice sailing departing Sydney and then going to Hobart, Tasmania, Milford Sound/etc., then Dunedin, Akaroa, Wellington, Tauranga, Bay Of Islands and Auckland. Right? We did all of those great and interesting areas. Let us know any added questions, needs.

Feel free to post on my live/blog and I will follow-up.

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at over 40,798 views for this fun posting.

• 2 weeks later...

the smaller,luxury lines,But didn't realize that ocean stretch was so ROUGH.Could make those sea days miserable.

Sadly,my DH HATES large ships with loads of people.So that sort of limits it.

Looked at Celebrity but for a suite,then added fees,tips,seem a little "nickel and dimed" to get experience we prefer.Like Balcony,tub,roomservice,inc.specialty rest.,,etc. The bottom line seems almost the same as Seabourn,Regent,Oceania,when you add it all up.Sure we could go less expensive with room selection,etc.But,WHY?

So still not sure what to do.Thanks for letting me sort of vent.haha:confused:

the smaller,luxury lines,But didn't realize that ocean stretch was so ROUGH.Could make those sea days miserable. Sadly,my DH HATES large ships with loads of people.So that sort of limits it. Looked at Celebrity but for a suite,then added fees,tips,seem a little "nickel and dimed" to get experience we prefer.Like Balcony,tub,roomservice,inc.specialty rest.,,etc. The bottom line seems almost the same as Seabourn,Regent,Oceania, when you add it all up.Sure we could go less expensive with room selection,etc. But,WHY? So still not sure what to do.Thanks for letting me sort of vent.haha:confused:

Appreciate your "venting"!! Always trade-offs and various factors to consider. Nothing is totally "perfect". We've done some trips on great smaller ships such as with Silversea and Seabourn. But those were in the calmer waters of the Greek Islands in June and along the Norway Coast in July.

But, the Tasman Sea can be much, much challenging. We had "IT" in January during that crossing with rocky seas on a larger ship with the newer technology. For our 14-day cruise, we had a Celebrity Suite. That extra room and convenience was great. We did not feel too much of the "nickel and dime" affect. In fact, there were some nicer pluses and advantages with such a suite. Happy to share more, answer any added questions. Just post on the live/blog and I can provide more details.

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now over 47,100 views for this fun posting.

on Tasman Sea crossing,since my DH had NO problems with sea sickness.Of course, I do.

We also took SB on Norway cruise,with NO SEA at all.

BUt,made the mistake of taking a RCCL in suite for 3 day TRY IT cruise.Whew,he hated it.Was first in line to get off.Where do I start?too loud,too many people,too many lines,bad food and service,you get the point.

Stated no more mass market,large ships,even in Presidential Suite!!

So ,now you see my problem.I PLAN the trips,he PAYS.

Guess I llhave to stock up on sea sickness meds,etc.??:confused:

You could also check out Regent Seven Seas. They come though once a year and sometimes do a Au/NZ segment. While the up front fare may be more than the other lines , you are getting a luxury , small ship experience with drinks , specialty restaurants , gratuities , room service and shore tours all included.

Thanks Terry, so funny about the rough seas. on Tasman Sea crossing, since my DH had NO problems with sea sickness. Of course, I do. We also took SB on Norway cruise,with NO SEA at all. BUt,made the mistake of taking a RCCL in suite for 3 day TRY IT cruise.Whew,he hated it.Was first in line to get off. Where do I start? too loud,too many people,too many lines,bad food and service,you get the point. Stated no more mass market,large ships,even in Presidential Suite!! So ,now you see my problem.I PLAN the trips,he PAYS. Guess I llhave to stock up on sea sickness meds,etc.??:confused:

Appreciate the added background. Very challenging. You might need Dr. Henry Kissinger to do these negotiations between you and your husband. Beyond my skills and pay grade. Good luck. I'm sure you'll work it out.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 138,144 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

around New Zealand? Could always do Aust.later,and avoid the dreaded Tasman Sea.

Regent is one I m looking at,only problem is I ve been on the Voyager(and very aware of the vibration problems it has.Would go on the Mariner,since I ve been on it and loved it.So may have to wait to see which ship is doing that area for Jan 2016.

Looking at Seabourn and Oceania also.

Terry, so funny you mentioned DR.(cause DH IS ONE,haha).I m a retired RN and afraid he s used to giving orders,but I tend to ignore them.Ex.for collecting the needed MONEY.:o

Terry, so funny you mentioned DR.(cause DH IS ONE,haha).I m a retired RN and afraid he s used to giving orders,but I tend to ignore them.Ex.for collecting the needed MONEY.:o

Good luck with your continued searching for the "perfect" solution. No Ph.D on my end. But, I am good at Piling It Higher and Deeper. Kind of like a Ph.D, maybe. My wife is an R.N. who just retired after 32 years as a School Nurse.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 165,880 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474