Withdrawals....

kijjy

It has been almost 2 years since I've been on a cruise (have never cruised anything other than RC).

We want to book a cruise for this year (myself, dh, and 16 yr old son), along with my sister and her husband.

My sister just started her own business this month and doesn't want to be away from it very near in the future. For that reason, they (DS and BIL) want to go on a Christmas cruise.

Our son doesn't want to be away from home at Christmas. As for me, I don't like the idea because I want WARM WARM weather when I cruise. The one time we went in late March out of New Orleans, it was cold on the ship and in the water on excursions.

Ok fine, even more than the warm weather, I want to go sooner rather than later. hehehe (as stated, i'm having cruise withdrawals)

Also, we are considering using Carnival for the first time ever because we want to try one of those cove balconies. I'm not sure DS and her hubby would even consider CCL.

Advice? Input?

No haters/flamers please!

I don't want to be disrespectful... but you told us everything you don't want... and little of what you do want... and you say you want to go on Carnival... So my only suggestion is figure out what you do want... and then post on the Carnival board. My other piece of advise is... just cruise! Any cruise is a great cruise!! I hope you find something you want!! :)

I don't want to be disrespectful... but you told us everything you don't want... and little of what you do want... and you say you want to go on Carnival... So my only suggestion is figure out what you do want... and then post on the Carnival board. My other piece of advise is... just cruise! Any cruise is a great cruise!! I hope you find something you want!! :)

I believe I did say what I want. Read it again...

I WANT to book a cruise this year.

I WANT to go in warm weather.

I WANT to go sooner rather than at Christmas.

I WANT to try one of those cove balconies.

If you're asking about what ports... my husband has never been on a cruise and our son has only cruised with me to Coco Cay and to the Bahamas.... I've been on several so the ports are irrelevant since I'm certainly not opposed to seeing the same ports more than once.

I guess what I WANT to know is, knowing my sisters issue with leaving her newly opened business, do I cave and go on a Christmas cruise as she wants or do I do what I want to do and leave it open for them to join us?

Guest maddycat

If you're asking about what ports... my husband has never been on a cruise and our son has only cruised with me to Coco Cay and to the Bahamas.... I've been on several so the ports are irrelevant since I'm certainly not opposed to seeing the same ports more than once.

I guess what I WANT to know is, knowing my sisters issue with leaving her newly opened business, do I cave and go on a Christmas cruise as she wants or do I do what I want to do and leave it open for them to join us?

You're the only one who can decide that.

Well... then I humbly suggest that if you...

WANT to book a cruise this year -- you do so.

WANT to go in warm weather -- you go sometime between May and September (that is if you mean warm weather in the states... and not in the Caribbean... because it tends to be warm in the Caribbean year round).

WANT to go sooner rather than at Christmas -- you pretty much have over 300 days to choose from.

and WANT to try one of those cove balconies -- you head on over to the Carnival Board and ask them for advice. Not even a Cove Balcony would entice me to go on a Carnival Cruise again.

I sincerely hope you find a cruise and your whole family enjoys the experience.

Husband and I went to the caribbean in July and it was warm, warm, warm. Actually it was hot. We also went to the caribbean in February and the weather was perfect, but the water was a little cold. Both times were with Carnival. The first time we had a cove balcony and we loved it!! This time we will cruise with RCL. Once again it will be very hot, but any cruise is a good one.

I cruise whichever line fits my fancy at the time. :)

Carnival is a great cruise line. We've had some wonderful cruises on that line. So go for it! Try any line you want..after all, they are the "Fun Ships"! :D

I'm ready for some more laid back cruising. Now that my daughter is getting older, we're switching back to RCL for a while. :)

:cool: Easy! Do BOTH! :D

Sorry.......I'm ignorant.

What is a "Cove Balcony"?

Rick

Those are lower deck balconies on some Carnival ships. Instead of the balcony tacked on to the side it is inset to the hull. Lots of structure and shade. Not good for suntan. Close to water, ppl report seeing lots of marine life. Potentially bad locations, need to know what is above by looking at deck plan.

Interesting step between ocean view and a higher up more open balcony. I'd ty one but not if it meant certain ships.

OP, Xmas most expensive week of the year on all lines. You want a nice warm weather vacation, book when you want and for less $. No need for anyone to have hard feelings, just do what you want on own schedule. Also, fyi, the two weeks before Xmas usually very cheap.

It has been almost 2 years since I've been on a cruise (have never cruised anything other than RC).

We want to book a cruise for this year (myself, dh, and 16 yr old son), along with my sister and her husband.

My sister just started her own business this month and doesn't want to be away from it very near in the future. For that reason, they (DS and BIL) want to go on a Christmas cruise.

Our son doesn't want to be away from home at Christmas. As for me, I don't like the idea because I want WARM WARM weather when I cruise. The one time we went in late March out of New Orleans, it was cold on the ship and in the water on excursions.

Ok fine, even more than the warm weather, I want to go sooner rather than later. hehehe (as stated, i'm having cruise withdrawals)

Also, we are considering using Carnival for the first time ever because we want to try one of those cove balconies. I'm not sure DS and her hubby would even consider CCL.

Advice? Input?

No haters/flamers please!

How can we decide for you.

I don't like the idea because I want WARM WARM weather when I cruise.

Also, we are considering using Carnival for the first time ever because we want to try one of those cove balconies. I'm not sure DS and her hubby would even consider CCL!

Are you looking for warm, or scorching hot? I tend to avoid summer cruises because the temperatures are so oppressively hot, with late fall cruises being my favorite (weather and price). Temperatures in the Caribbean hover in the 80's which is perfect.

About Carnival, fortunately the negative press and comments on this board paint an unrealistically negative picture of what they are about. The Dream class specifically (which is the one that offers the Cove balconies) is truly the best that Carnival has to offer. I wouldn't hesitate to book on one of these ships. In fact, we sailed on the Dream months after the Allure and had a great time.

Since you want a Cove, that narrows it down to the Magic (out of Galveston), the Dream (now out of Port Canaveral but moving to New Orleans) and the Breeze (out of Miami).

If you will be sailing during the winter and wish to avoid those chilly days getting to/from the warm weather, then I suggest sailing on the Breeze out of Miami. Not only will you get your Cove balcony, but you will also be on Carnival's newest, most amenity filled, and also one of the most tastefully decorated and toned down ships in the fleet. And some of the itineraries on the Breeze are very nice, with ports of call including Aruba, Curaçao, Grand Turk, and La Romana.

Edited by Tapi

If you do choose a Christmas cruise, the 8 day routes out of Port Everglades go farm enough south that it is plenty warm. San Juan (in particular) was *hot* when we were there last month. All other ports (went on the Indy 8 day) were plenty warm as well.

I chose that specific route so I could be (reasonably) assured that it would be as warm as possible, without having to fly to San Juan cruise.