norovirus on celebration

I am currently sitting in a hotel having been kicked off the ship for a day for sanitation. The whole ship has been cleared as so many people have been ill.

In my opinion Thomson have not dealt well with the situation. The virus was on the ship when we arrived last week and has gone from bad to worse with people literally vomiting in corridors.

Thankfully we get off tomorrow but this has not been an enjoyable holiday at all day with all the things that have been going on. I will give a full report on my return next weekend but for those coming on the celebration come prepared.

As others have said Sorry to hear this news and hope you keep free of it .

We were on the same cruise that Linda describes and that was not a pretty sight either, little squares of carpet

outside a very lot of doors .

Also people being ill as they queued for the bus back home to the airport .

Safe journey home .

Edited by kalos

shame about your holiday. I would be fuming if I saw guests vomiting and spreading their germs around the ship. why don't they stay in their cabins if they feel ill instead of wandering around the corridors and sitting in the theatre.

shame about your holiday. I would be fuming if I saw guests vomiting and spreading their germs around the ship. why don't they stay in their cabins if they feel ill instead of wandering around the corridors and sitting in the theatre.

If it is anything like I had, I felt a bit off colour in the morning after the Captan had announced about people being ill in the night, but thought it was just me being a hypochondriac! We went off the ship, came back, went to the cabin and I started to feel worse, but it was not until I got up to go to the loo, that I suddenly vomited. No sign of nausea until then! I guess that is what happened to other people. They went to the theatre and it just happened :eek:

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

NV can come on very very fast, the same happened to me on the Celebration a few years back. Had a wonderful morning in Rhodes, had lunch all fine, had a nap, woke up and felt "off colour". Went straight back to the cabin had another nap, manged to pack my case home, yes it was the last night, had another lie down. Then it all kicked off, just felt sick and that was that.

Mind you took about 2 hours for the doc to get to me, and that is when I realised that the ship had a problem, but the signs had been there from the time we boarded.

I had to pop back to the cabin to get something and they were spraying the carpet :eek: with something told Hubby, still the penny did not drop and also were not allowed to serve ourselves in the self service, we put it down to trying to cut down on the waste of food. Also the rails were wet as well, but I do wish they had said something as I am diabetic and its not good to be ill like that, all to do with sugar levels and such. Luck would have it the next morning managed to eat porriage and drink tea (I never ever drink tea in the mornings, I am coffee girl) and kept it all down and so was allowed to go home, otherwise, would have been transferred to Marmaris Hospital. Have to say felt off colour for about 5 days.

I was very lucky it could have been much worse, but do feel for people who go down with it not pleasant.

So spoke to my Docs and this is what she advised, take your own gel, and when using the loo try to use your cabin loo only make sure when you wash your hands you wash in between your fingers as well, and use gel and more gel a lot. So far touch wood, been fine. HOpe everyone gets home safely.

Looking at that thread, Linda, I was spouting the same things a year ago as I was tonight :o and no-one was listening then or now ;) :eek:

I had to laugh - it was the same people posting; me included!!!

Me too, giving advice :o That was before I succumbed on the Dream :rolleyes:

More info is coming out that it looks like it may not have been the Noro as people were only confined to cabin for 24hours and felt ok the next day. They had to eat in their cabins and not use public toilets for the next 24 hours.

One lady has said she has just succumbed to "the bug" since being home :(

If they all had NV, like one of the passengers said, it could have been taken into the hotels they were all put up in - they would have had to deep clean them too.....??

If it is anything like I had, I felt a bit off colour in the morning after the Captan had announced about people being ill in the night, but thought it was just me being a hypochondriac! We went off the ship, came back, went to the cabin and I started to feel worse, but it was not until I got up to go to the loo, that I suddenly vomited. No sign of nausea until then! I guess that is what happened to other people. They went to the theatre and it just happened :eek:

I can understand how people think a lot of people are roaming around the ships feeling ill just like you say Linda they think its something else until it hits you fast . Too late it's possible it has been spread or picked up .

My wife walked in our cabin one evening after a great night out and not a hint off anything wrong with her . The steward had put leaflets

under the door that night stating to be aware of Norovirus and to ring the ships medics if anything should happen . 3-4 hours later I was wokenup by Mrs k being ill in the bathroom ...it was that fast .

We wash our hands at every chance before meals and the WC's visits and use the Gels ...We even avoid the ships handrails , use a tissue for doors or food ladels other come into contact with .

But lets be honest how many sit at a dinner table and never give a second thought to contact with a chair or the salt and pepper pots ?

IMO I think the real danger is when the victims symptoms have passed and they think "I'm ok now I can go out."

The Virus you carry is possibly still spreading via the things you come into contact with .

I do remember the night leading up to Mrs K being ill and in the showbar she was given a drink had a sip of it and as the lights went up

noticed an old lipstick mark on the glass (They Changed it ) Could that have been the cause ?

Maybe a kitchen or drinks server who had been ill ? Or just peeps roaming the ship when they should be in their cabins ,we will never know :(.

Heres some guys who know all about it .... Noro

Also a blast from the past

:( Edited by kalos

My wife had trouble on Celebration two years ago. I was fine,but both confined to cabin for two days. Due to join ship on 28th Feb,hope ok then.

Must say that on numerous occasions have noticed waiters using loos and not washing hands,not just on Celebration.

KEEP USING SANITISER, ALSO TAKE OWN.

Shellsailor.

But lets be honest how many sit at a dinner table and never give a second thought to contact with a chair or the salt and pepper pots ?

:(

I've often thought of that kalos....you sanitise your hands as you enter the dining room, sit down then hitch up your chair to get yourself into position at the table. Now doesn't everybody do that? So how many hands put themselves in exactly the same place to pull their chair up? And isn't it fabric so much less susceptible to being cleaned down like a smooth surface - and in any case would they really be wiping down the undersurface of the dining room chairs??? I think not!

I think I'm a bit paranoid sometimes so I'm pleased it's not just me who's thought of that - I try to remember to have a squirt of anti-viral foam once we're settled - but there are so many more ways these little blighters can spread as you have mentioned. After all it's their raison d'etre and sole pupose in life to replicate themselves and have spent millions of years perfecting their methods. Sadly, I don't think we have a snowball's chance of beating them at their own game. So all we can do, as everyone has suggested, is to take as many sensible precautions as we can to reduce the risk and hope for the best and that luck is on our side - but as some of you have found out, unfortunately that just isn't enough. :(

I think I'm a bit paranoid sometimes so I'm pleased it's not just me who's thought of that -

I'm sure we are not alone in our thinking Kruzze , as you say hygiene plays a big part in not catching it and a fair bit of luck helps .

If it were easy to rid hospitals and cruise ships of this virus they would have, as it costs millions what with people off work as well ...

..Yep your spot on when you say "the virus spent millions of years perfecting their methods."

Our only real defence is to wash it off with soap and water and rinse it down the sink :eek:

I'm sure we are not alone in our thinking Kruzze , as you say hygiene plays a big part in not catching it and a fair bit of luck helps .

If it were easy to rid hospitals and cruise ships of this virus they would have, as it costs millions what with people off work as well ...

..Yep your spot on when you say "the virus spent millions of years perfecting their methods."

Our only real defence is to wash it off with soap and water and rinse it down the sink

---------------------------------------------------------------------

No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's......No one gave a thought to the older worlds of space as sources of human danger...... Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us. ~ From HG Wells' classic book, The War Of The Worlds

OMG have they found a cure from the virus they had:eek: and now they have brought it back but they are immune:rolleyes::eek:

leave that with you:rolleyes:

just a thought

to anyone who has had this or may have my heart goes out to you( I had it once and not very nice)

PS stay away from Martians and wash your hands

come on folks let us cheer up .......... please, NEARLY spring:)

Stevie:D

Do they get Noro on spaceships Stevie ?;):D

Just read that two of the Royal Caribbean ships are now suffering with the Noro Virus as well :(

Out of the 3,050 passengers onboard the Explorer of the Seas, there have been 281 reported cases of the illness. There are also an

additional 22 crew members who have norovirus type symptoms.

Also

Royal Caribbean’s Majesty of the Seas has had a report of 66 cases of Noro Virus ,a few of the crew were included within that figure .

This ship has gone back into port to have a deep clean to help stop the Virus spreading further .

mr sherlock holmes, who was usually very late in the mornings, save upon those not infrequent occasions when he stayed up all night, was seated at the breakfast table....... the hound of the baskervilles, by Arthur Conan Doyle

not for the first time, an argument had broken out over breakfast at number four, privet drive.... harry Potter and the chamber of secrets by JK Rowling

the regular early morning yell of horror was the sound of arthur dent waking up and suddenly remembering where he was....... life the Universe and everything by Douglas Adams

it seems the dreaded virus is breaking out everywhere;):D

Hi, Due to join the Celebration on Friday 31st. Very concerned as travelling with my father who is 85 so I rang Thomson Customer Services. They deny that the ship was cleared and sanitised. They say there was a small outbreak of the virus that was contained & the majority of the passengers were unaffected. They say the ship was unable to dock in La Gomera due to the weather so arrived in Tenerife a day early. Any comments from people on last weeks cruise?