norovirus on celebration

I know its been a bit of a heated debate over on FB regarding Norovirus, but I noticed this today from RCI -

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/explorer-of-the-seas-cruisers-are-being-compensated-including-for-days-confined-by-illness.html?nspPage=1

"In an unusual move, Royal Caribbean International is also giving those passengers who had to be confined to staterooms by illness an additional credit of one future cruise day for each day of confinement on the trip."

Just sayin'!

I know its been a bit of a heated debate over on FB regarding Norovirus, but I noticed this today from RCI -

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/explorer-of-the-seas-cruisers-are-being-compensated-including-for-days-confined-by-illness.html?nspPage=1

"In an unusual move, Royal Caribbean International is also giving those passengers who had to be confined to staterooms by illness an additional credit of one future cruise day for each day of confinement on the trip."

Just sayin'!

interesting move by rci....this could be interpreted as them virtually saying that they may be responsible for passengers having to be confined to cabins....something cruise lines have been very adamant that they are not and will never be?

or maybe they are just being compassionate/generous or maybe?? just trying to stave off any bad press

evenso...this could still set an interesting precedent

Hi, Due to join the Celebration on Friday 31st. Very concerned as travelling with my father who is 85 so I rang Thomson Customer Services. They deny that the ship was cleared and sanitised. They say there was a small outbreak of the virus that was contained & the majority of the passengers were unaffected. They say the ship was unable to dock in La Gomera due to the weather so arrived in Tenerife a day early. Any comments from people on last weeks cruise?

The ship was indeed cleared of passengers and all unnecessary staff. I have the letter back with me which confirms this as a fact so I do wonder why Thomson have said this?

Those who were flying were taken off first thing in the morning to hotels. Those of us who were getting off the next day in Gran canaria or on for 2 weeks were taken off to the sol Melia hotel in puerto cruise an dumped there for the full day where I wrote the original post.

This was certainly not a small outbreak with many passengers and staff affected. As an example of the extent of the illness the main shows had to be cancelled and the cruise director announced from the stage that so many of his staff were ill that the show that night was the guy who normally played guitar in the Hemingways bar with a dancer on light and sound as the light and sound team were also ill!

The way we were treated was dreadful, like an inconvenience to get out of the way so that they could clean the entire ship. Passengers who should have Still been confined were on the coaches and In the hotel. The hotel served a buffet- no gel and free for all with the tongs so we avoided it.

For those of us on AI tough luck- the hotel had very little choice and the staff had a really bad attitude once they knew why we were all there.

Thomson also used a bleach based cleaner on the ship which ruined people's clothes and took the colour right out of them so they now have multiple insurance claims for this damage.

This cruise was dreadful . The service was poor as many staff were ill, the food choice was restricted eg they closed the stir fry, limited the buffet usage creating queues etc corridors stank of vomit and worse.

We received a letter on the first day saying that there was Noro onboard. They did too little too late and the bug got a real grip before it was properly dealt with. Unfortunately we happened to be the passengers that suffered and lost the last day of our cruise with no apology from thomsom.

For the first time in my life I was glad to get off a cruise ship as quickly as possible. A poor experience from start to finish.

For those going on in subsequent weeks at least the ship has now been probably cleaned so hopefully all will now be well for future passengers as I would not wish my experience on my worst enemy!

I know exactly how you feel Eglesbrech. We had the same thing on the Dream in May. People were being sick in the theatre and dining room, we were served for all of the cruise and on the last day we were hustled off the ship like cattle, so that it could be cleaned. We were taken to the airport, it was chaos with everyone turning up at once. The staff at the airport were hopeless, they kept coming down the queues asking us what flight we were on. Some people who had a later flight were taken to a hotel :eek: and then back to the ship to get a coach to the airport. Kalos saw people being ill on the dock and they were then going on a plane with 300 other people! So if you hadn't been ill on the ship, you probably would have been when you got home.

When several of us complained to Thomson, we were told that we had taken it on the ship. I believe it was already on the ship when we got on and we should never have been allowed to board.

I know exactly how you feel Eglesbrech. We had the same thing on the Dream in May. People were being sick in the theatre and dining room, we were served for all of the cruise and on the last day we were hustled off the ship like cattle, so that it could be cleaned. We were taken to the airport, it was chaos with everyone turning up at once. The staff at the airport were hopeless, they kept coming down the queues asking us what flight we were on. Some people who had a later flight were taken to a hotel :eek: and then back to the ship to get a coach to the airport. Kalos saw people being ill on the dock and they were then going on a plane with 300 other people! So if you hadn't been ill on the ship, you probably would have been when you got home.

When several of us complained to Thomson, we were told that we had taken it on the ship. I believe it was already on the ship when we got on and we should never have been allowed to board.

As Linda said ...It was a sight I never want to witness ever again .

I can say that I was never so happy to get of a ship,coach,aircraft and get back home and thankfully was not ill.

So sorry your holiday was marred by this nasty virus and as you will well know by now Eglesbrech...

...you do not have to catch it for it to spoil your holiday :(

Good luck in your future cruises :)

Will be doing our ninth cruise with Thomson 28th Feb on Celebration.The only trouble was a couple of years ago on Celebration as i have already posted.

Never had trouble on any of other ships and saw very little anywhere,even on Dream in first season,when there were lots of complaints from "nitpickers looking for compensation". In my opinion one of the worst offenders are the ice cubes in drinks. We never use these,even in hotels. Buckets of cubes with hands diving in for ice, "YUCK" no thanks !!

Still looking forward to 28th Feb,despite all negative reports.

Shellsailor.:):):):)

I was drinking Virgin Coladas with no ice. Got funny looks but the girls got to know it. Also vodka and whisky no ice. Don't like watered down drinks but struggled to get cocktails no ice. It means they have to make up the drink with more juices I suppose. Don't like the thought of where ice is coming from myself.

I read something the other day saying the problems could be from the water supply as it is processed on the ship.

On the Friday morning just as we about to be kicked off for the day there was an announcement over the PA system that the water system was being chemically purged and that no one should use it.

Most passengers were off by then with only the 250 who were departing the next day or those on for 2 weeks still onboard and about to go off.

They said that this was routine maintenance but given the degree of illness and the fact that they had started serving bottled water in the dining rooms for the last 3 days of the cruise I do wonder if this was an issue. We are not tea drinkers so did not use the kettle in the room but as lots of people do so if there was an issue (and I am not saying that there was) then this could explain how many people were ill.

On the Friday morning just as we about to be kicked off for the day there was an announcement over the PA system that the water system was being chemically purged and that no one should use it.

Most passengers were off by then with only the 250 who were departing the next day or those on for 2 weeks still onboard and about to go off.

They said that this was routine maintenance but given the degree of illness and the fact that they had started serving bottled water in the dining rooms for the last 3 days of the cruise I do wonder if this was an issue. We are not tea drinkers so did not use the kettle in the room but as lots of people do so if there was an issue (and I am not saying that there was) then this could explain how many people were ill.

This is in fact routine, they flush out the system on the ship (I suppose a bit like cleaning beer pipes!), happened on our last day of the two cruises we have done.

Fine if this is routine procedure good to know that they do it regularly.

I wonder why though they used only bottled water in the latter part of the cruise as I have never seen this before. It is usually just iced water poured from silver jugs.

Anyone else had bottled water in the restaurants before?

Fine if this is routine procedure good to know that they do it regularly.

I wonder why though they used only bottled water in the latter part of the cruise as I have never seen this before. It is usually just iced water poured from silver jugs.

Anyone else had bottled water in the restaurants before?

I have seen them pour bottled water into the jugs so maybe it's just they prefer to serve it from the jugs rather than plastic bottles?!

Edited by Julessmiles

I only ask about paying, as before we went on the Dream in 2012, I was warned that they would try to sell us water at dinner. So forewarned, on formal night, we went to dinner and were on a table of 8 people, when sure enough they asked if we would like a bottle of water. The other 3 couples said yes please (not sure if they knew they had to pay for them :rolleyes:) I asked for jug of water and I noticed the waiters poured it into a jug from a bottle. I expect they thought we were tightwads :o:D

I have, though, at other times, had water in a jug, that smelt of chlorine, so guess it came from the water supply.

Winter vomiting bug in my grandson's class today....half the class sent home but not him. Any child sent home today is not to come back to school until Monday. My daughter went to Boots and bought some Boots anti viral foam...she does listen to me occasionally!

I just read a review on the Celebration and it appears that the clean up did not work. There is (allegedly) still an issue onboard.

:eek::eek::eek: If you are talking about the one on "the other site" mmmm..... not impressed were they :rolleyes:

http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-reviews/thomson-cruises/thomson-celebration/read_review_103129/

Will be doing our ninth cruise with Thomson 28th Feb on Celebration.The only trouble was a couple of years ago on Celebration as i have already posted.

Never had trouble on any of other ships and saw very little anywhere,even on Dream in first season,when there were lots of complaints from "nitpickers looking for compensation". In my opinion one of the worst offenders are the ice cubes in drinks. We never use these,even in hotels. Buckets of cubes with hands diving in for ice, "YUCK" no thanks !!

Still looking forward to 28th Feb,despite all negative reports.

Shellsailor.:):):):)

You obviously we're not on the May25th cruise on the dream. It certainly was not nit picking. The smells of raw sewerage made you vomit the whole ship was disgusting, toilets were blocked and over flowing sewerage came up in the jacuzzi one day. As I have stated in other post I travelled extensively with Thomson in the past not now though. It really was off putting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I just read a review on the Celebration and it appears that the clean up did not work. There is (allegedly) still an issue onboard.

Having just disembarked Celebration in Las Palmas yesterday (having embarked 1st Feb) I can only say in all honesty that absolutely NONE of the very bad things that happened on your cruise happened to us. We had an excellent week with absolutely no problems of any kind.

Yes,great attention is being paid to hygiene with handrails etc being often cleaned. The Lido buffet was all served by staff,and ample chilled bottled water is offered in the MDR.

I always chat to other passengers and I can honestly say that the general level of satisfaction with Celebration seemed high. The staff were absolutely great and just could not do enough for you.

I will shortly be posting a review hopefully.