another dress code controversy!!

I saw this on the news last night. Thought it was rather funny. The young ladies seemed to all be wearing nice clothing, appropriate for a White House audience. I then thought of Jim Vrovac (sp?) who dresses on HAL formal nights in his finest attire while wearing his Pepe le Pew slippers!

I've read this same article and seen the official picture in about 5 places on the net this morning. There is no controversy worth talking about. These girls were dressed very nicely and casual sandals- in all price ranges incl. $100+- are a fashion statement this year. I've got 4 pair myself.

Does anyone expect college age girls to be in pantyhose and heels in the DC heat and humidity? They all looked great! ;)

No controversy here. Just like on cruiseships it doesn't matter to me what anyone wears .

Just thought with all the threads about dressing on a cruiseship that some of you would think this was inappropriate.

Obviously I stand corrected. :)

Bill

BILL- Don't get me wrong. I'm glad you posted it and I will bet there are plenty of posters on here who might think the girls were dressed inappropriately.

I'm just not one of them, and I am a defender of HAL's dress codes. I just don't think nice sandals are out of place when wearing a summery dress or skirt. :)

I don't see anything wrong with "flip flops" either - though I prefer to call them sandals, lol! I also thought the girls were dressed very appropriately - I am one of those who refuses to wear any type of hose, especially with evening wear - so I have dozens of pairs of sandals.

As Peaches mentions, many different styles of sandals are quite the fashion this season and they aren't necessarily cheap or inexpensive. ;)

I saw this on my MSN home page and wondered what all the fuss was about too, I think there may be some interesting reactions though. :)

I've read this same article and seen the official picture in about 5 places on the net this morning. There is no controversy worth talking about. These girls were dressed very nicely and casual sandals- in all price ranges incl. $100+- are a fashion statement this year. I've got 4 pair myself.

Does anyone expect college age girls to be in pantyhose and heels in the DC heat and humidity? They all looked great! ;)

Tell me about it. My wife has some of these flip flop type shoes. I can't understand how they can cost so much. There is nothing to them.:(

While I am on the subject, whatever happened to white? My wife has every color in the rainbow.

I looked at the picture. THey all seemed to be dressed appropriately for an afternoon visit to the White House. Some people just love to stir up 'controversy' where none exists...

Although I did find this button for those of you who are aghast...

flip_flop_180.jpg

:rolleyes: -dave

Boy, Dave ... sure doesn't take long for folks to come up with event graphics does it?

Actually, it was first posted over a year ago as a political statement - but it does seem apropos to this thread! :rolleyes:

Hi, S.S. :)

Interesting news item...

I personally would never have selected flip-flops to wear to the White House. Sandals, perhaps ...flip-flops, absolutely not. The cost of them would have no bearing on my decision.

Perhaps I'm hopelessly out of the fashion swim, but flip-flops say "casual beachwear" to me. :rolleyes:

Saw the news story too and thought they all looked stunning.

IMO it must have been a really slow news day at the White House.

It was definitely NOT a slow news day at the White House!

I think they all look adorable in that picture! Well, almost all of them. ;)

There is nothing wrong with sandals. It's summer!

Hi, S.S. :)

Interesting news item...

I personally would never have selected flip-flops to wear to the White House. Sandals, perhaps ...flip-flops, absolutely not. The cost of them would have no bearing on my decision.

Perhaps I'm hopelessly out of the fashion swim, but flip-flops say "casual beachwear" to me. :rolleyes:

flip flips aka sandals or whatever you would like to call them are absolutely the fashion rage. I am not up on the history of HAL but I'd be willing to bet money that if they were operating in the 1970's platform shoes would have been worn by both men and women and considered 'in vogue' for formal night. Cruising back then was not nearly as popular as it is now. Wonder if there is a archive of photos from cruises in the 70's and even early 80's. Long hair, no ties, leisure suits, afros, tye dye....... and the beat goes on...and the beat goes on...

Hi, Majika!:)

I'm sure you're right about the fashion trends... I see them everywhere, and they look just fine with a lot of summer clothing. Regardless, I would wear flip-flops on a cruise, but not to the White House.

I would wear flip-flops on a cruise, but not to the White House.

Same here. Nor would I wear them to church, but my 17 yo daughter and her friends seem to think it's just fine. Go figure.

My niece wore platform flip-flops with 'bling' on them to Prom!

Getting old and dodgy, I guess. I keep my 'thongs' (my daughter informs me 'thongs' are underwear, not footwear) for wearing to the beach or the pool.

Robin

Archived