Puerto Rico - anyone know of a nice restaurant

cettarick

:)Hello,

Taking a cruise with first time to Puerto Rico arriving at 4 PM. Would like to know if anyone knows of a nice restaurant - we will be docked until 11 PM.

Thank you!!

Chris

One word only - MARMALADE:)

Book early as it is very popular with cruisers and locals

If is a special occasion, let Marmalade know and they do something special for you. Never been disappointed.

:)Hello,

Taking a cruise with first time to Puerto Rico arriving at 4 PM. Would like to know if anyone knows of a nice restaurant - we will be docked until 11 PM.

Thank you!!

Chris

We enjoyed Vaca Brava. Steakhouse type of place. Really good, and reasonable prices, we paid around 10$ for burgers. They serve platter style for groups of people too.

If is a special occasion, let Marmalade know and they do something special for you. Never been disappointed.

Absolutely agree! Do not miss their white bean soup with truffle oil. It is their house specialty and worth every calorie. They are located on Fortaleza in OSJ. I believe they open at 6 so make a reservation.

Marmalade was fantastic! The white bean soup is amazing and they have the recipe available if you ask.

Rosa de Triana is more traditional Spanish Tapas, very good, smaller than Barrachina. I would say the food is less touristy than at Barrachina, which primarily caters to the cruise ship crowd, Rosa de Triana is more of a mix.

Have not seen the show at either location.

Rosa de Triana is more traditional Spanish Tapas, very good, smaller than Barrachina. I would say the food is less touristy than at Barrachina, which primarily caters to the cruise ship crowd, Rosa de Triana is more of a mix.

Have not seen the show at either location.

Thanks! I called them and, with my very bad high school Spanish, made a dinner reservation for a Saturday night for the flamenco show. I'll report back in 2 weeks!

Aquaviva, Parrot Club or DragonFly. All at the beginning of Calle Fortaleza. Food is fantastic. All three have a different theme and are based on traditional Puertorican cuisine fused with other international techniques.

I am a local and love these places. Reservations are a must.

"The other half of a DINK and proud of it!."

• 2 weeks later...
Aquaviva, Parrot Club or DragonFly. All at the beginning of Calle Fortaleza. Food is fantastic. All three have a different theme and are based on traditional Puertorican cuisine fused with other international techniques.

I am a local and love these places. Reservations are a must.

Methinks this poster may have a VESTED interest in promoting these 3 places. Looked them up and ALL 3 are part of the same restaurant group/chain/owners. Hmmmm - kinda fishy. Just sayin IMHO

I do not have vested interest. They are fantastic restaurants with great reputations. I live in Boston but I was born in PR. My mom lives in PR and when I visit 2-3 times per year I make a point to visit one if these with my mom. They are her favorite. It's great PR food with an elegant/modern twist.

Any opinions on Rosa de Triana? We will be there on a Saturday night and would like to see the flamenco dancing. Are the food and dancing better/worse/same as at Barrachina?

Rosa Triana is very unique as it is situated in part of the old underground tunnel system. We didn't get to see the show but did enjoy the food. If you have time, visit El Convento across the street for a cocktail in their lovely courtyard.

You should check out Cafe Puerto Rico in OSJ. Went there a couple of years ago prior to our cruise. Highly recommended on Cruise Critic and it didn't disappoint. Excellent for dinner, drinks, or both! Very authentic, I am told.

Several people on the board have recommended Marmalade for dinner. After looking at their website it shows a tasting menu, can one just go and order soup and salad for dinner or is the tasting menu required?

Thank you.

As already mentioned above, I say forget the fancy stuff and go to Cafe Puerto Rico. I have a palate that was molded in PR as a kid and when we visit PR, we always have at least one meal in Cafe PR. It's like when I was a kid especially the rice and beans and the mofongo. The portions are generous and their hot sauce will scald you from the inside. Their sangria is great not to mention anything with rum. But, please, have some Don Q rum instead of the more popular Bacardi sold here in the mainland.

Z and TB

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...