Would you go on a ship after a Norovirus outbreak?

Rolla4fun

• 6 months later...
Yeah I'd sail. It's Noro not Ebola after all.

Re the old post, above, about Noro virus versus Ebola.... Who else besides me has questioned in recent days how well cruise lines will deal with this scourge, Ebola? It's nearly impossible to control the rest of the viruses much less this DEADLY one.

What concerns me most is all the plane flights into and out of Africa to all the other countries of the world, and who might be sick and not yet know it while flying. If they're not yet showing symptoms and thus are not passing it on, they will be spreading it when they show symptoms.

All of us flying to cruises or wherever are thus risking being exposed if we touch anything they've touched. Imagine bathrooms aboard planes, just as an example.

Then there's the issue of close proximity to many people aboard a ship, AND the multitude of countries the ship's employees hail from, coming and going from their homelands to the ships and back again after doing their stints aboard ship, sometimes for just a few months.

I knew what a nightmare AIDS would be way back in '81 when a newspaper put a few sentences about it in my local paper. At that time it was 'gays' visiting Haiti who were coming down with it. Right then and there I KNEW it would be a world-wide crisis and it was.

This Ebola will make AIDS look like the common cold. I've already taken nearly 40 cruises; perhaps it's time for a break.

Noro is something that with so many people in tight confines of one Ac system effectively for so long is easy to get

And easy to control if people are not selfish

It is mostly an issue from unhygienic people spreading germs to others but not staying confined to cabin because you paid for a cruise is what really gets it going

If people stopped being totally self centered in regards to noro plus obviously other issues we would not have the concerns we have now

Yes I travel and have been on ships with massive noro outbreaks and never had a problem touch wood

But I am very careful about my hygiene and seems to pay off

As far as Ebola goes that is scary as it can live outside a host for quite a period of time

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ships will be the cleanest they ever will be on the first cruise after a noro outbreak because everything will go under extra scrubbing. That does not assure staff is without symptoms thatcould spread though so wash, wash, wash your hands with soap and water.....and not just for 2 seconds, but more like 20 seconds.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

I would go. You said ship is returning to the port two days early so they have plenty of time to sanitize the ship. If they only have few hours to clean before the next sailing, I probably wouldn't go.

When they do a turnaround they delay boarding to cover with sanitize

It really isn't that big an issue for following cruise. Only when your on it when it happens is marginal concern

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

maybe you should read this to see just how wrong that statement is.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-02-07/health/fl-crown-princess-reinfected-20120207_1_previous-cruise-crown-princess-cruise-ship-norovirus

Bill

Wrong. There are ALWAYS cases of Norovirus on ANY cruise- especially if that cruise is leaving from a US Port or if there are many Americans onboard.

Seriously? What does it have to do with US ports or Americans? There's a noro outbreak in England, so there have been more cruises out of British ports in the past few months reporting noro outbreaks.

The sick crew never left the ship and are quite possibly the ones spreading the virus among passengers to begin with. No thanks, I'll take a full refund.

Sick crew are the very first ones to report the illness to the doctor and isolate themselves. As someone else has pointed out, why would they show up for work sick when they get to take paid time off and get room service? Also, good luck getting that refund so close to sail date...

Noro is something that with so many people in tight confines of one Ac system effectively for so long is easy to get

Last I checked, Norovirus isn't airborne.

If I had booked a cruise, and that ship had a noro outbreak on its previous sailing, it would be too late to change anything anyway - time off work already requested, plane tickets booked, etc. I bring the Wet Ones wipes (since they actually kill noro, unlike hand sanitizer).

We have been on 2 or 3 cruises during and after an outbreak. Last year we had over 30 cases on the NOS. RC took good care of us with the waitstaff serving us and washy washy.

Never had a problem but we washed our hands religiously.

Seriously? What does it have to do with US ports or Americans? There's a noro outbreak in England, so there have been more cruises out of British ports in the past few months reporting noro outbreaks.

Sick crew are the very first ones to report the illness to the doctor and isolate themselves. As someone else has pointed out, why would they show up for work sick when they get to take paid time off and get room service? Also, good luck getting that refund so close to sail date...

If I had booked a cruise, and that ship had a noro outbreak on its previous sailing, it would be too late to change anything anyway - time off work already requested, plane tickets booked, etc. I bring the Wet Ones wipes (since they actually kill noro, unlike hand sanitizer).

Paid time off? they don't even get paid (barely) when they do work aside from the tips and who wants to eat went you're sick as a dog?

So if they don't show up for work they are losing money.

Bill

Paid time off? they don't even get paid (barely) when they do work aside from the tips and who wants to eat went you're sick as a dog?

So if they don't show up for work they are losing money.

Bill

Not quite correct.

ALL the major cruise lines have informed their crew that the very first symptom of NLV MUST be reported and the crew member MUST be isolated for an extended period of time to ensure that the virus is not spread to other crew or pax.

Any isolated crew receive special room service, and full salary and their share of the tips for the period they are confined.

Not quite correct.

ALL the major cruise lines have informed their crew that the very first symptom of NLV MUST be reported and the crew member MUST be isolated for an extended period of time to ensure that the virus is not spread to other crew or pax.

Any isolated crew receive special room service, and full salary and their share of the tips for the period they are confined.

Thanks for the clarification. Glad to hear they get to leep their tips. That way they won't feel like they have to work while sick n spread the noro.

Bill

I'll bet you even put on your big boy pants for the dinners.;)

No way would I go unless I was going to lose all my money.

Been there, couldn't get off the ship so couldn't buy the shirt

Bill

Pants are important.

Your second line sums it up.

Pay attention, wash your hands, pay some more attention,....pay your DSC.........

They aren't sending sick crewmembers around to make others sick. Remember, the crew doesn't care for the situation either.

Pants are important.

Your second line sums it up.

Pay attention, wash your hands, pay some more attention,....pay your DSC.........

They aren't sending sick crewmembers around to make others sick. Remember, the crew doesn't care for the situation either.

I wish more people on our cruise would have taken your advice. If they did our cruise wouldn't have been canceled.

Luckily my wife or myself didn't get it.

Bill

America has the highest percentage of it's population sick with Norovirus of any country in the world every year. It is hardly surprising that ships sailing from US Ports carry a high percentage of American passengers - and even less surprising that a high percentage of those people are sick with Norovirus.

Britain is in second place with Norovirus percentages, so no surprise there either.

Australia is rapidly catching up as well.

Actually Norovirus is airborne quite often. Projectile vomiting aspirates the Norovirus spores into the air, making it a breathing hazard.

You may also notice that during NLV outbreaks, the cruise lines stop vacuuming. A vacuum cleaner can expel Norovirus spores into the air, making them airborne.

Four years ago we boarded Celebrity Mercury out of Charleston after she had repeated large noro outbreaks on every sailing for more than two months. Every night for week sour local news reported on the ongoing issue. Friends told us we were nuts for not cancelling when we had the chance. Turned out to be one of our best cruises and the first where noro was under control as they had done a very long, very deep cleaning prior to us boarding.