Just off the Dream: entertainment and brunch comments

brichar499

Did the Eastern itinerary. As usual, all cruises are great - and some are better than others.

In the entertainment department, the Dream contrasted very positively to a trip last winter on Ecstasy (with its lame Playlist Production main theatre shows). In fact, the total entertainment package on the Dream was among the best in our more than 20 cruises across all brands. The talent and production values in the showroom were outstanding as were the comedians and other musical acts. Come on company of the Fun Ships, keep the big shows and live bands.

The brunch concept was not a hit. As most on these boards know, brunch is now served sea days in the MDR from morning through early afternoon. Seated breakfasts and lunches are now mostly unavailable. My biggest problem with brunch is that the menu which is fairly uninspired doesn't change and after a couple of tries, it gets old. Unfortunately, the only other alternative is the utter chaos of the Lido buffet. It's another cost saving move that diminishes the cruising experience for those of us looking for a modicum of refinement.

But again, another nice week on the water with great weather, outstanding service, mostly good food, and terrific entertainment.

Just of "Dream" myself, and agree with 95% of what you posted. Entertainment aboard "Dream" is so superior to the ships with the lame "Playlist Production" shows. "Blackjack Band" is OUTSTANDING, although, they are scheduled to go on vacation soon. They still have a seven piece band, with BRASS! GREAT sounds!

I don't have a major problem with the BRUNCH, although I would prefer to have breakfast, and lunch instead. The fact that I usually eat only two meals a day at home, make it a bit more "normal" for me than it would be for most folks. Small tip. The menu they hand you at the brunch, has TWO SIDES! Many people only look at the side that happens to be turned up, and never notice that it has lots more selections on the other side. Just flip it over! :rolleyes:

"SKY"

any chance you have/will post fun times? We are on the Dream Eastern Itinerary in early March. Wondering when formal nights were, how were they? Any tips or tricks you can think of?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just of "Dream" myself, and agree with 95% of what you posted. Entertainment aboard "Dream" is so superior to the ships with the lame "Playlist Production" shows. "Blackjack Band" is OUTSTANDING, although, they are scheduled to go on vacation soon. They still have a seven piece band, with BRASS! GREAT sounds!

I don't have a major problem with the BRUNCH, although I would prefer to have breakfast, and lunch instead. The fact that I usually eat only two meals a day at home, make it a bit more "normal" for me than it would be for most folks. Small tip. The menu they hand you at the brunch, has TWO SIDES! Many people only look at the side that happens to be turned up, and never notice that it has lots more selections on the other side. Just flip it over! :rolleyes:

"SKY"

Do you know when "soon" is for the Blackjack Band. we are on the Dream 3/22/14.

Thanks so much for posting this!! We leave in just over 30 days and while I usually pass on the entertainment (shows), I may check them out this time!!

Hoping they are still there for March 7 cruise

Just off Dream yesterday. Agree on entertainment. Shows were above average, Really enjoyed Blackjack Band. Seemed like live music was going on continuously in several venues. Most music from any of about 15 cruises.

Disagree on brunch. Enjoyed brunch each sea day. Like Steak & Eggs much better than standard menu.

Just looked them up and they go on vacation April 7 through mid May

Just checked the website for Blackjack Band, and it shows they were on vacation April 7 through mid May in 2012. There is nothing showing for the year 2014.

I love the Eggs Benedict at Brunch. If you don't want all that cereal junk on your French Toast, you can ask for it plain.

Good eggs Benedict works for me at least 3 out of 7 days for sure.

Did the Eastern itinerary. As usual, all cruises are great - and some are better than others.

In the entertainment department, the Dream contrasted very positively to a trip last winter on Ecstasy (with its lame Playlist Production main theatre shows). In fact, the total entertainment package on the Dream was among the best in our more than 20 cruises across all brands. The talent and production values in the showroom were outstanding as were the comedians and other musical acts. Come on company of the Fun Ships, keep the big shows and live bands.

The brunch concept was not a hit. As most on these boards know, brunch is now served sea days in the MDR from morning through early afternoon. Seated breakfasts and lunches are now mostly unavailable. My biggest problem with brunch is that the menu which is fairly uninspired doesn't change and after a couple of tries, it gets old. Unfortunately, the only other alternative is the utter chaos of the Lido buffet. It's another cost saving move that diminishes the cruising experience for those of us looking for a modicum of refinement.

But again, another nice week on the water with great weather, outstanding service, mostly good food, and terrific entertainment.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

If you cruise very often at all, I find all of Carnival's food to be repetitive. But the fact that I don't have to cook or do dishes offsets that. :-) Switching between the omelet station, sea day brunch, breakfast buffet, and the Blue Iguana breakfast burritos helps too. I've been know to eat pizza for breakfast too. And there's never a line for pizza at breakfast.

Edited by winddawn