Does anyone regret buying a drink package?

RichK2112

Select 40 per day

Premium 55 per day

Ultimate 65 per day

Ok so I never hear anyone discussing the package that includes only beer and wine. We purchased this one for our 2/16/14 upcoming cruise. My husband and I drink mostly beer, I like a little wine (no brand preference, just house).

I calculated out the additional cost to get the Premium, $105 PP or Ultimate $175 pp. My thinking is we can get a few fun drinks, lets say 1 per day at $10 and thats still only $70 per person. So I am thinking for us the beer/wine package will allow us to have fun but come closer to break even. Maybe we won't even make that worth it since it takes about 6 drinks a day to break even on that package but I look forward to a week of not worrying about the bill (I paid off the credit card already).

I totally agree with your thinking on this - it really depends on what you drink. We did Celebrity this summer & I got the premium NA package because I don't drink a lot when we're with the kids. I probably had 1 "adult" drink a day so for me going it made better economic sense.

No regrets. I got my money worth, wife did not. The option to try different things coupled with the benefit of no receipts and no need to track expenses was worth it to us. We also liked that once you use it in the MDR the bar staff, if on top of it, will keep your information and there is no need to keep digging out your seapass. I think there is more to look at than the cost divided by number of drinks consumed ratio, to determine value.

THANK YOU!

It was so nice to know that I wasn't going to get hit with a ridiculous bill, it was nice to try whatever I wanted not worrying about "is this the best alcohol for the buck" I can spend...It was totally worth it.

So glad you asked this question. I have been debating getting the package. We aren't big drinkers but on a cruise I think we want to relax and enjoy it. We usually hold back as not to have a huge bill at the end. Knowing what we will spend before hand would make it worry free. Even if it's more than we would normally spend. We love the aft balconies and suites but booked an inside cabin and will spend the difference on the package. Don't plan on getting off the ship except on the private island so I think it will be worth it for us. Glad you all had a positive experience with the drink package.

Joni

No regrets. I got my money worth, wife did not. The option to try different things coupled with the benefit of no receipts and no need to track expenses was worth it to us. We also liked that once you use it in the MDR the bar staff, if on top of it, will keep your information and there is no need to keep digging out your seapass. I think there is more to look at than the cost divided by number of drinks consumed ratio, to determine value.

what about the after dinner shots? are they included as well?

We loved it. We bought the Premium ($55/day) package in January Allure.

It is nice to have a truly "all inclusive" experience. (We don't typically eat in Specialty restaurants and our shore excursions are pre-purchased).

I think we got our value. I'm not 100% positive # of drinks, but what i loved was not worrying about whether I wanted to spend that $10 for a Margarita. I used to drink much more beer. I also didn't worry if a drink wasn't strong enough (eg. Frozen drinks). Actually, I preferred them to not be as strong. If I were buying by the drink, I would naturally feel ripped off.

Unless we are taking a very port intensive cruise where we are staying late nights, I will absolutely continue to purchase this plan.

I have tried to "search" this question but it's so hard because of the search engine on here.

Is there any price limit on beer in the drink packages? I saw in one post a picture that had a Chimay 750ml for $19.95. Could I get that?

Thanks!!!!!

Adcro

There are hot chocolate packets and tea available in some areas for free. However, they are the basics. I don't remember what type of tea bags were complimentary, but it was Carnation Dark Chocolate. I just used two packets for a very rich drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have considered getting the package but figured it would be more of a hassle with tipping and having to carry extra cash all the time. How exactly does the tipping work?

Officially, the tips are included in the price of the package, so you don't HAVE to tip extra. We did however tip extra on our last cruise and plan to again on this cruise.

On our Majesty cruise we got a slip to sign with every drink, even though the amount due was $.00, and could add our tip to that which would get charged to your onboard account. I also would stuff a bunch of one dollar bills in my pocket and tip in cash. I suspect cash is the preferred method by the bar staff.

We sail on the Independence this coming Sunday, and have the Premium Package again, so we'll see how it works there soon enough.

Dan.

Sent from my SM-P600

Edited by Dan-P

I like the fact that now not all on the room above 21 yo have to buy the package. DW and I both "had" to buy because I wanted the package 02/13. I regretted buying the package for her as she didn't come even close to making it a value. Also this was before bottled water and sodas were part of the package.

When did RCCL change this policy that not everyone over 21 must buy the package? This is the only reason I haven't purchased.

Also, if only one person can buy the package in a room how does RCC prevent you from getting a drink for a friend or sharing?

I'm really considering the Premium...or possibly the Ultimate package, as our bar bills on previous cruises have been scary. So, I'm "sorta" trying to justify a package for our next FOS cruise. Just typing this makes me salivate thinking about a Mojito at Bolero's. Anyway, I can't remember if the price of an alcoholic beverage includes the gratuity or if it's added to the price of the drink?? Anybody help me?? Thanks so much.

My sister and I got the package last year. We loved it and will do it again. No worries about how much you are spending as we are beer drinkers on hot days. Good way to try new drinks also. I am excited to see water and coffee are included in one of the packages.

Not completly accurate:

Water is inlcuded in some packages:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

To the Op -

Absolutley No Regrets

Have used the Premium package 3 times now in 2013 and have been extremly satisifed.

The recent Changes made Nov / Dec make it really beneficial IMO.

Will most likely use it again in 3 weeks.

My response was to someone getting an alcohol package - bottled waters are only included in the Ultimate package. Otherwise, the Replenish package and the Bottled Water package have bottled water.

depends, on a port heavy cruise like the Med 12 days and 8 ports it's certainly isn't worth a package. but on a TA or a cruise with more sea days then port days it makes sense.

Disagree. I had the Ultimate package equivalent on my Celebrity Med cruise, and we absolutely got our money's worth. Fresh squeezed juices, specialty teas in the morning, frozen drinks getting back on the ship, 2-3 glasses of wine with dinner, a drink with the show, etc. It added up quick. Note - Celebrity's package did include bottled water & cans of soda, so it was very nice to grab a bottle of water as you were leaving for an excursion (or coming back from one) or run to the bar for a couple cans of soda to keep in the cabin.

But we definitely got our money's worth on our Med cruise, even though there were only a few sea days, and we spent 8-12 hours off the ship every day.

I have considered getting the package but figured it would be more of a hassle with tipping and having to carry extra cash all the time. How exactly does the tipping work?

the tip is included.. they aren't going to miss an occasion to includes tips. just a smile and a thanks you is all that is needed

We are first time cruisers and trying to figure out if a drink package(s) is the way to go for us. I read that coffee, tea, tap water, and juice (not fresh-squeezed) is included. Couple of questions I need clarification on please...

1. Is sweet tea available? And if so, is it any good? (We are from the South and love our sweet tea :cool:)

2. How much do sodas and bottled water cost?

3. Average price for a beer: $6.00 Average price for a cocktail: $8 to $9. Is that correct?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

My response was to someone getting an alcohol package - bottled waters are only included in the Ultimate package. Otherwise, the Replenish package and the Bottled Water package have bottled water.

Again sorry but what your saying is Not accurate.

Bottled water is included in both the Premium package and the Ultimate package.