Does anyone regret buying a drink package?

RichK2112

I realize it's not for everyone, but it seems as though everyone who buys a drink package is pleased with their decision.

Has anyone bought the drink package (not the $20 one, but the ones which include alcohol) and then regretted it at the end of the cruise?

Thanks!

Rich

My wife and I bought the Premium drinks package on our honeymoon on freedom in January and thought it was great value, we both were able to try drinks that we had never tried before because of all the options available on the drinks package.

I suppose the drinks package seems like a very wasteful thing to buy, i.e tried a new cocktail, didn't like it so immeadietly tried another one but not worrying that you have paid perhaps $15 - $18 in individual payments finding a new drink that you like.

I honestly thought it was wonderful value and when buying my cruise holidays in the future will always add the premium drinks package on as I think making your holiday all inclusive is the way forward.

Kind regards

Ian

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I thought it was the best thing that I did on my recent Liberty cruise. No having to sign receipts for every drink, they just swipe your card and your good to go. I also tried a lot of different drinks that I normally wouldn't have thought about trying. You just have to make sure that you are drinking enough for it to pay off. If your not a big drinker then it might not be for you but if you like trying different drinks and/or more expensive drinks, then I think you would benefit from the drink package.

I like the fact that now not all on the room above 21 yo have to buy the package. DW and I both "had" to buy because I wanted the package 02/13. I regretted buying the package for her as she didn't come even close to making it a value. Also this was before bottled water and sodas were part of the package.

Only my waistline regretted it. Unlimited large cafe mocha's (even skinny ones) add up fast in terms of calories.

I'm not of the crowd that would buy it for the convenience, so I found myself drinking more to ensure I at least broke even. I'm not saying I had a bad time, just that I drank more than I normally would and that isn't necessary for me to enjoy myself.

I may buy it again, but I'll give it more though before I do. Not sure if I would do it on a cruise out of San Juan though given how port heavy those are, and how that would make it even a worse financial choice given the limited time on the boat.

Edited by JasonV1

Can I buy daily basis ? I want to try out first and see I like it. Do they have starbuck in liberty? I drink a lot of coffee and tea.

You cannot buy it per day. Would love that option as I tend to drink heavy, regret it the next day and not drink, then drink the next day. I can do 10+ drinks in a day but not more than a day or two in a row. I'd like to remember my vacation, lol!

Don't know if there is a starbucks on board LOS but I don't believe starbucks is included in drink packages anyway.

We bought it in May back when everyone in the cabin had to buy it. My wife might have broken even, but I'm not a heavy drinker and I was forcing myself to drink even when I didn't want one just to try to get my money's worth, and I didn't come close.

I don't understand the convenience argument at all, because you still have to wait for your drink like everyone else, and they still need to run your SeaPass. Takes the same amount of time. The only difference is whether you have to sign a piece of paper.

If I'm not saving any money with it, it's just not worth it.

My vote... spend that money toward a suite and get the free booze in the concierge lounge during the cocktail hour. But that's just my opinion. :D

It's worth it, have done it twice now, and doing it again on my cruise next week.

No budgeting, no worries, no feeling like you have to give another tip like you do when purcashing each drink and signing for it. Get to try whatever you want.

Drinks can add up quickly.

I think it is worth it if you stop thinking about getting "my money's worth" is about drinking alcohol!

The package includes many, many other things that I never paid for on my previous cruises. Never once did I buy water bottles, OJ, speciality coffees and teas, and sodas.

The best part is getting a drink and not feeling guilty for wasting money for not liking it. Get a new one!

I could easily drink enough of those before 1:00pm and then have so much more time to cram in drinks if I wanted, too.:p

Can I get more info on the package. If you buy one package is it for everyone in the cabin or is it just for one person? It might be worth it if it were for all passengers in the cabin.

Sharon I

The drink packages are sold on a per person deal, no sharing.

I thought it was the best thing that I did on my recent Liberty cruise. No having to sign receipts for every drink, they just swipe your card and your good to go.

This isn't exactly the situation the OP wants info on, but we had Replenish on FOTS last week and we had to sign probably, all told over the week, 1/3 of the time. The first two days they had us sign EVERY day. And that's any bar for our waters and Cafe Promenade for our (starbucks everything but the name of the venue) lattes and mochas.

We spent more on the package than we would have spent on the individual drinks. So we wouldn't do it again. BUT the big issue is that we ordered a water package for our son. At the time I ordered it (when everything was in transition as the new packages showed up) it stated 500mL bottles. We got 1L bottles. 24 1L bottles of Evian. Holy moly.

When I went to Guest Services, they were shocked we were given 1L because THEIR info said it was 750mL bottles. But when I bought it, it said 500mL.

We were absolutely swimming in water.

I just checked the FAQs on the RCCL site and it says 1L.

In the future, for the way we drink, I would get that same water package and no other package.

I don't *regret* it, because it was good information, but I would make a different decision next time. :D

I think I'm regretting not buying it on my last cruise. We bought it on Celebrity Reflection but not on Allure. Once you've bought it, it's tough going back. We drank only marginally more with the package than without and those slips drive me crazy.

Sent from my Bat Phone

We bought it on our Carnival cruise and our Jewel cruise last October, and will again for our Oasis cruise. I'm not sure if we broke even as I really didn't keep track, but it was worth it for us. Like another poster said, it makes the cruise seem a little more all-inclusive--it was paid for up-front and we could just enjoy ourselves.

We spent more on the package than we would have spent on the individual drinks. So we wouldn't do it again. BUT the big issue is that we ordered a water package for our son. At the time I ordered it (when everything was in transition as the new packages showed up) it stated 500mL bottles. We got 1L bottles. 24 1L bottles of Evian. Holy moly.

When I went to Guest Services, they were shocked we were given 1L because THEIR info said it was 750mL bottles. But when I bought it, it said 500mL.

We were absolutely swimming in water.

I just checked the FAQs on the RCCL site and it says 1L.

In the future, for the way we drink, I would get that same water package and no other package.

I don't *regret* it, because it was good information, but I would make a different decision next time. :D

OMG that happened to us too but all this time I've just figured that I didn't pay enough attention to how big the bottles were! Now I know that most likely it just wasn't good information. Ended up giving half of the water to the in-laws and we still had too much. I'm just glad the water is now included in the alcohol package. We bought the alcohol package for the first time last year and DH definitely did well with it. I probably barely broke even but we'll still each buy the package on our next cruise especially now that the water is included. DH mostly drinks beer but I was trying out different drinks that I never would have before. Found a bartender in the Windjammer that just kept mixing together different shots for me to try out. It was a good day and I now have a new favorite drink. :D

Husband and I both got the ultimate package on Celebrity last year. While we both ended up getting our money's worth out of it, his takeaway was "I felt pressured to drink as many pay items as possible, even if I don't really want anything right now, to make it worth my while" while mine was "this is awesome, every time I vaguely want something I can try it!" He says he'd only get the full boozy package again in certain circumstances, and otherwise just go with the nonalcoholic-drinks-only package (which he got on Explorer last month and adores).

So is star bucks and bottled water nor included? :confused: We are going next month and purchasing it

Starbucks and bottled waters are not included in the RCCL package unless you get the Ultimate package that includes Replenish. That will give you bottled waters. Starbucks isn't included in any of the packages.

Starbucks isn't included in any of the packages.

And that means you can't get a latte (or whatever) from a venue calling itself Starbucks. But on Freedom you can go to Cafe Promenade's coffee bar and get a Starbucks espresso drink, put in a Starbucks cup, with a green Starbucks straw and it is included in Replenish (and in the alcohol package that includes Replenish).

It's a matter of semantics, though the semantics here are important.

No regrets. I got my money worth, wife did not. The option to try different things coupled with the benefit of no receipts and no need to track expenses was worth it to us. We also liked that once you use it in the MDR the bar staff, if on top of it, will keep your information and there is no need to keep digging out your seapass. I think there is more to look at than the cost divided by number of drinks consumed ratio, to determine value.

Starbucks and bottled waters are not included in the RCCL package unless you get the Ultimate package that includes Replenish. That will give you bottled waters. Starbucks isn't included in any of the packages.

Not completly accurate:

Water is inlcuded in some packages:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/beverage_packages.pdf

To the Op -

Absolutley No Regrets

Have used the Premium package 3 times now in 2013 and have been extremly satisifed.

The recent Changes made Nov / Dec make it really beneficial IMO.

Will most likely use it again in 3 weeks.

Select 40 per day

Premium 55 per day

Ultimate 65 per day

Ok so I never hear anyone discussing the package that includes only beer and wine. We purchased this one for our 2/16/14 upcoming cruise. My husband and I drink mostly beer, I like a little wine (no brand preference, just house).

I calculated out the additional cost to get the Premium, $105 PP or Ultimate $175 pp. My thinking is we can get a few fun drinks, lets say 1 per day at $10 and thats still only $70 per person. So I am thinking for us the beer/wine package will allow us to have fun but come closer to break even. Maybe we won't even make that worth it since it takes about 6 drinks a day to break even on that package but I look forward to a week of not worrying about the bill (I paid off the credit card already).