Whats the latest you would fly in on day of embarkation

scottw3

Do you fly in on the day of the cruise? If so, did you miss the boat?  

290 members have voted

1. 1. Do you fly in on the day of the cruise? If so, did you miss the boat?

• Are you crazy!!! I always arrive early
    • I fly in same day and have never missed the boat.
    • I fly in same day and HAVE missed the boat.
    • I fly in same day and barely made the boat but may have had a minor heart attack in the process.

I will use the First Lady's own language and say that anyone who flies in the day of a cruise is a knucklehead. Since December 1 of this year the US airlines have cancelled over 78,000 flights! And 10s of thousands of other flights were many hours late. The spring and summer are usually not quite that bad, but thunderstorms and other severe weather cause numerous delays and cancelations.

So why would anyone gamble their cruise vacation on a same day flight? Yes, we know there are always those with excuses (I had to work, I had to walk the dog, etc) but they are excuses! If you have to work, then think about an evening flight (the day before) or even changing your cruise dates so you have that extra day to get to the port. And if you can work it out to get near or to a port several days early this is even a better option.

Hank

FYI late spring and early summer have MORE delays and cancellations than winter (at least in US). Thunderstorms and tornadoes during these months are more prevalent and widespread than winter storms and end up impacting more flights.

We should be on our last sea day for the Century but missed the ship last Saturday. Flight out of Pit 6:30 AM connecting in Atl ,Fll 11:00Am. 1:30 late out of Pit due to mechanical and long deicing. Missed connection next flight delayed due to busy air. No help from airlines. Pulled in port as ship was sailing. No insurance. Have done it 3 previous cruises no problem but our luck ran out. Expensive, depressing (booked in July) so still sort of in shock. Lesson learned.

So sorry this happened to you. It is good you spoke up as it may encourage others to take more precautions; what happened to you is not all that uncommon, but most are too proud to post they missed the ship. Insurance is unlikely to have helped you; as I mentioned earlier this thread for missed connections there needs to be a very long delay (often in the four to six hour category for most policies) before any relief - and even then it is typically something like $250 towards expenses while catching the ship and not a full refund.

Booked our own air thought we would be fine. Obviously not the case this time. We had the cab take us back to the airport talked with the guy at the RCCl kiosk. Called

celebrity which we had done earlier on hold for an hour tried to get on another ship did not work out couldn't or wouldn't change us to a 5 night leaving on Monday. Our first port would have been on Tuesday St Barth which would have been to costly to get to.

Again, sorry about your travel troubles, but hope others realize your situation is not even close to being the "normal" when it comes to flying day of departure. Yes you missed cruise, but I still contend (and I have NO evidence to back this up except what I see and read) that the vast majority of "day of departure arrivals" make the ship. Of course coming in early would be better, but there are many reasons why that isn't always an option.

Again, sorry about your travel troubles, but hope others realize your situation is not even close to being the "normal" when it comes to flying day of departure. Yes you missed cruise, but I still contend (and I have NO evidence to back this up except what I see and read) that the vast majority of "day of departure arrivals" make the ship. Of course coming in early would be better, but there are many reasons why that isn't always an option.

By using your logic one should never bother to buy insurance for their automobile. After all, the "vast majority" never have an accident. And there are "many reasons why" buying insurance isn't always an option (i.e. money).

So, you can continue to roll the dice and hope all works out, But as one who travels (internationally) about 6 months a year we have learned to take reasonable steps to minimize risk and also enhance our travel experience. Flying in at least a day early accomplishes all that, increases the odds that our luggage will catch up if lost by the airline, allows us to get a good nights sleep before we board a cruise, avoids the anxiety caused by last minute arrivals, etc. It also means we can board the ship with the earliest groups (we have priority boarding on most lines) and turn the embarkation day into something akin to a day at sea (a nice lunch, relaxing on deck, etc).

Hank

Again, sorry about your travel troubles, but hope others realize your situation is not even close to being the "normal" when it comes to flying day of departure. Yes you missed cruise, but I still contend (and I have NO evidence to back this up except what I see and read) that the vast majority of "day of departure arrivals" make the ship.
Even if you had statistical evidence about "the vast majority" it would have no bearing on what will happen to the future flight of someone else.

If you try to fly in the same day and miss the ship, it will be of no comfort to you whatsoever knowing that hundreds of others, or even thousands of others flew in the same day and made it with no problem.

Past performance is no predictor of what is going to happen in the future. There are just too many things that can go wrong.

I myself, like many others, have flown the same flight out of the same airport 9 times with no problem, and then the 10th time something went wrong. Which would be fine if I could know in advance that the problem would come on the 10th flight ;) , but there is no way to predict in advance when a problem is going to occur or how significant it will be.

I could not secure a room in Ft Lauderdale, so it is fly into

The city day of the cruise. I am flying Southwest from Louisville Ky at 6:45. I had a flight leaving at 6:15 but I started to

Get concerned about my luggage not arriving with me since that flight changed planes.

I changed to the 6:45 which is non stop with one stop

in Atlanta. We arrive at 11:50. I would try to find a nonstop if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

2nd cruise coming up at the end of the month and we are flying on day of embarkation. We arrive at FLL at 11:50am (it was 10:50am but there was a flight schedule change). Must be on ship by 3:30pm. Am I crazy? I did book through choice air so I'd be able to meet the boat in key west if the worst happens but missing 1 night on a 5 night isn't a great start to a cruise. We're on the earliest Delta flight leaving Memphis with a single stop in Atlanta (1 hr and 13 min layover). I was thinking about changing to a one-way Southwest flight out (arrives FLL 10:25am with 1 stop in Tampa) and keeping the Delta return but I've heard that if you miss one leg of your flight they will cancel the rest of it. Is that true?

So for those of you brave enough to fly on the day of departure... what is the latest you are comfortable with arriving at the airport/ship?

In short we never fly in on the day of embarkation. It's too risky. There are too many thing that can go wrong. Your flight could be seriously delayed or canceled all together. Treat yourself and go in the day before. It's your vacation! Enjoy your cruise.

I could not secure a room in Ft Lauderdale, so it is fly into

The city day of the cruise. I am flying Southwest from Louisville Ky at 6:45. I had a flight leaving at 6:15 but I started to

Get concerned about my luggage not arriving with me since that flight changed planes.

I changed to the 6:45 which is non stop with one stop

in Atlanta. We arrive at 11:50. I would try to find a nonstop if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok, I know it is not nice to disagree with another poster, but when you say you "cannot secure a room in Ft Lauderdale" I have trouble buying it. So please post the date and I will be happy to try and find you a room. This is a huge hotel/motel area. As to flying through ATL, we recently got to our winter home in Puerto Vallarta one day late, because we had to change in ATL. Because of the weather we were delayed a day...and actually go lucky because we got the last 2 seats the following day...or it could have been several days.

Hank

My Husband found one today. When I was looking in December for a room everything was coming up booked. Our travel agent warned us that we were going to Florida during spring break. Just changed our reservation to arrive on Friday afternoon. If you have better insight to securing rooms in Ft Lauderdale, please share. I know there are others who were in our situation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Am cruising soon & flying in on the day of embarkation........don't like it....usually get in the day before. Do to work issues had to travel the day of.

Everything will probably be ok, but stress levels will be running a wee bit high that day. Not a good way to start a vacation :rolleyes:

In the Chicago area the airports, especially O'Hare, will shut down if the wind changes or there is one drop of rain. The is no way we would ever fly out the day of embarkation. We go the day before, so if the flight is delayed or cancelled we can jump in the car and drive to the port in FL.

In short we never fly in on the day of embarkation. It's too risky. There are too many thing that can go wrong. Your flight could be seriously delayed or canceled all together. Treat yourself and go in the day before. It's your vacation! Enjoy your cruise.

8 cruises...we have flown in the day of twice. Once with a group of 26 that MIL booked & air thru DCL. I KNOW they would have held the ship for us for what she paid for that! Another time we flew day of as the couple we sailed with own a business & had small children & simply did not feel they could be gone an extra day. We respected that. No issues with either one.

Booked ourselves, we ALWAYS fly out the day before--except this once. Again, work rules. BUT it is a risk worth taking (travel insurance to cover issues--and even then we have a small window of delay that would be too long to make the ship & too short for insurance to cover it)

Best case scenario--all goes well & we are cruising on March 8.

Worst case--our connection is delayed only 1.5-2 hours, we miss the ship & insurance won't cover it. We will STILL have 5 nights in FLL/MIA area & will will STILL enjoy them;)

We always arrive at the departure port the day or two days prior to embarkation. I don't like surprises and arriving at the airport on embarkation with no luggage as it has been flown to another city or didn't get on the plane is a hassle I can do without. This has happened to us and luckily the luggage arrived later on that night. The extra money for the hotel is so worth it for piece of mind. No one wants to start their cruise vacation in a bad mood.