plugging the toilet...

kingstonKouple72

• 2 weeks later...
I am not talking the applicator but the actual cotton part.

Cruise Virgin till 3/17!!! Got tickets to Paradise!!!

I would think it's fine to flush a tampon. They are smaller than a large turd. I've been flushing tampons for over 25 years without one problem. We are on a sewer system and not a septic tank - but I've ALWAYS flushed tampons in the toilet in my own home, friends homes, public toilets, work toilets, etc.

I would think it's fine to flush a tampon. They are smaller than a large turd. I've been flushing tampons for over 25 years without one problem. We are on a sewer system and not a septic tank - but I've ALWAYS flushed tampons in the toilet in my own home, friends homes, public toilets, work toilets, etc.

No, no no no, nooooo

Ship toilets are different. NOTHING except bodily waste and their specific TP is to go down them. It's not the size that is an issue, it's that they need to get everything broken down into small particles. This is why you can not even flush your own personal wipes or bring your own TP.

No, it is not fine to do that on a ship! In fact its just the opposite! That is one of the primary materials cruise lines caution you about flushing into a ships system and is one of the most frequent causes of line blockage on board. It isn't the size, it's the material and the fact that it doesn't break down, and by design remains expanded.

They are completely different sewage handling systems and what you do at home would have no bearing whatsoever on what you should do on board. It may not affect your stateroom but very well may affect many elsewhere in the system.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Ahhh. It is folks with your thinking that causes lots of difficulties for lots of other cruise passengers. Because you would likely clog-up the toilets for an entire section of many ships. As others have tried to explain (and the cruise lines also work hard to explain) Marine vacuum toilet/sewage systems are totally different then the systems we have on land.

We have even been on smaller boats (yachts) where even toilet paper had to put into a separate receptacle and never flushed. Fortunately, modern cruise ships have sewage systems designed to handle the type of toilet paper used on the ship. But as a general rule, that toilet paper is the only product that can safely be flushed.

Hank

So I was talking to a co-worker about my past cruises and my upcoming cruise in July and she indicated she was hesitant to book a cruise because of concerns about clogging the system.

She is "bathroom sensitive".... prefers to go in her own home... or wait.

She envisions having to call a plumber for a service call, in which case she would feel quite uncomfortable.... so the easiest thing is to simply not go on a cruise, because the toilet systems are so fragile.

To be clear... she isn't talking about attempting to flush non-authorized products.....

7 days would be a long time to wait.

Has anyone ever heard of fecal matter clogging the toilet? I never really gave it a thought to look how large the "evacuation tunnel" is... but I have to imagine it is set up differently than an ordinary toilet that has some sort of "s-coil" the solid matter travels to leave the premises....

Thanks. Hoping to alleviate my friends fears so some day she too can experience the fun that is cruising...

Use the public toilets I do all the time to keep the wife happy.

Please do not put a moist toilet wipe down the toilet as it can block it.

Only human waste & ship-supplied toilet paper should go down the toilet. The ship's toilet paper is designed to fall apart after a few minute's immersion in water so that it can then be pumped through the narrow pipes.

Exactly!

If your friend follows those simple rules, she'll have no problems whatsoever!

LuLu

~~~~