plugging the toilet...

kingstonKouple72

So I was talking to a co-worker about my past cruises and my upcoming cruise in July and she indicated she was hesitant to book a cruise because of concerns about clogging the system.

She is "bathroom sensitive".... prefers to go in her own home... or wait.

She envisions having to call a plumber for a service call, in which case she would feel quite uncomfortable.... so the easiest thing is to simply not go on a cruise, because the toilet systems are so fragile.

To be clear... she isn't talking about attempting to flush non-authorized products.....

7 days would be a long time to wait.

Has anyone ever heard of fecal matter clogging the toilet? I never really gave it a thought to look how large the "evacuation tunnel" is... but I have to imagine it is set up differently than an ordinary toilet that has some sort of "s-coil" the solid matter travels to leave the premises....

Thanks. Hoping to alleviate my friends fears so some day she too can experience the fun that is cruising...

So I was talking to a co-worker about my past cruises and my upcoming cruise in July and she indicated she was hesitant to book a cruise because of concerns about clogging the system.

She envisions having to call a plumber for a service call, in which case she would feel quite uncomfortable.... so the easiest thing is to simply not go on a cruise, because the toilet systems are so fragile.

To be clear... she isn't talking about attempting to flush non-authorized products.....

Has anyone ever heard of fecal matter clogging the toilet? I never really gave it a thought to look how large the "evacuation tunnel" is... but I have to imagine it is set up differently than an ordinary toilet that has some sort of "s-coil" the solid matter travels to leave the premises....

Thanks. Hoping to alleviate my friends fears so some day she too can experience the fun that is cruising...

When I go, I go and when I went, it went. As long as it's not an unauthorized object there should be no problem.

I worked for Princess onboard ships for many, many months at a time and I can assure you that it's difficult to plug up those toilets. They seem to have more flushing power than any on land anyways!

We did have one issue where we ran out of toilet paper in our cabin and used kleenex instead - that didn't fare so well and we had to call the plumber to fix it. He left us a nice little note (written on a kleenex, of course!) informing us that kleenex isn't to be flushed, and only to use the provided toilet tissue. (He also came when we weren't even in the room so there was no awkward run-in)

So if your friend isn't flushing random objects down there, it'll be fine. Much healthier that way also!

Here at home my husband has often had to plunge his toilet after putting a 'log' in it. He once had to ask a hotel to plunge a toilet after he used it. However, in a dozen cruises on different ships, he has never had a problem with the toilet.

The toilets onboard can become clogged, but it's because people flush things that shouldn't be flushed. Only the cruise line provided toilet paper and your own body's waste should go in the toilet. Nothing else!

things happen and yes the system malfunctions.. more often than not and not because you dropped a big one or tried to flush the wrong things down. it's just how the system functions.

we have had them not flush not shut off and otherwise misbehave.

she can seek counseling to get past this phobia/issue as it is not normal behavior.

she can seek counseling to get past this phobia/issue as it is not normal behavior.

Counseling, really? :rolleyes: Plenty of people are not comfortable using a restroom other than their own. People who "don't have enough fiber" really need to feel relaxed in order to go and if you are in a public place or out of your element, you may be too tense to go. It happens to me too.

For your friend, if they are still concerned after these confirmations that it will be ok, I'd suggest finding a public restroom off the beaten path that he or she may be able to use. I know I can usually go if I'm in a restroom that either has loud music playing or that I know is not a high traffic area where people will be in and out, or waiting for me to finish.

It's called FPS, familiar porcelain syndrome. Lots of people have a hard time getting things started for a day or two away from home.

Lots of people head straight for their home bathroom when they've been away for a couple of days, have a preferred stall in the office restroom, or any other place they spend a lot of time.

The ship's toilets are vacuum systems, not gravity systems, so they are much more powerful. I can't imagine any human-generated products not flushing. You will inevitably hear a ship's comedian joking about "Make sure you don't flush the toilet while still sitting in it...", pointing out the risk of being permanently attached to the seat due to the vacuum power. Probably an exaggeration, but you probably shouldn't mention it to someone who already has a toilet phobia!

So can they handle a Sheet of those Moist Toilet wipes ? or is there an alternate "disposal" Option.

Please do not put a moist toilet wipe down the toilet as it can block it.

Only human waste & ship-supplied toilet paper should go down the toilet. The ship's toilet paper is designed to fall apart after a few minute's immersion in water so that it can then be pumped through the narrow pipes.

VP

Your friend might have problems if she poops like a horse, but otherwise should have no problems. Besides if she does have to place a call for a plumber onboard, so what? You don't need to be in the cabin for it so she shouldn't be embarrassed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Then maybe a spray or two of Poo-Pouri.

Never had a toilet clog up on any cruise I've been on, and I've been on 77. I have heard of people flushing diapers and other non-flushable items that have clogged up the system, but not human poo.

It sounds like the OP's friend is suffering from lutropublicaphobia which seems to be more common among females then males. When dealing with a phobia it is difficult to reason with folks since phobia's, by their very nature, are not reasonable.

If your friend wants a guarantee that her cabin toilet will always work...she is not going to be happy. Yes, toilets do fail on cruise ships (much more often then on land) and it often happens to multiple cabins at the same time due to the design of the vacuum systems where a blockage in one toilet can impact others in that section of the ship.

Sure, the odds are in her favor that her toilet will always flush, but folks with phobias do not often get swayed by odds. Perhaps your friend needs to get some professional help to learn how to cope with her "demons" after which she will be a much happier and more willing traveler.

Hank