Scooter Question

Socal404

I have another question. This time regarding using a scooter. We're on the Regatta. We have a Concierge cabin. We don't have a handicap access cabin. My question is does anyone happen to know is there would be room between the end of the bed and the wall that I could maneuver the scooter to the "living area" of the cabin. If not, where could we store it while in the cabin? Thanks for any information you might be able to share.

There is definitely no room to get a scooter between the wall & the bed & not much room to store a scooter in the cabin

i would check with Oceania also on the door width dimensions & if the scooter will even fit into the cabin

You may want to ask for a H/C cabin or a PH

There is definitely no room to get a scooter between the wall & the bed & not much room to store a scooter in the cabin

i would check with Oceania also on the door width dimensions & if the scooter will even fit into the cabin

You may want to ask for a H/C cabin or a PH

Good Point, and my MIL was in a travel wheelchair on two of the R ships and there are a number of sills and ledges between the rooms which one might not notice while walking, but which would make using a scooter very difficult.

My neigbor on the Regatta had a wheelchair that he stored folded outside the Concierge cabin door. A scooter would have blocked the hallway and I am not sure, it would have fit through the door. JimandStan mentioned small ledges and sills. How true, I noticed those only because of my neighbor.

After the Concordia accident one of the regulations is that NOTHING can be stored in the hallway. The only way you can use a scooter on the R ships and probably on the O ships as well will be in a larger cabin than you are talking about. Some people seem to manage Kipling in their cabin but it will be very tight.

Edited by orchestrapal

I have another question. This time regarding using a scooter. We're on the Regatta. We have a Concierge cabin. We don't have a handicap access cabin.

Did you advise Oceania you are bringing a scooter??

I am surprised they did not tell you that the cabin would not be suitable to store your scooter inside the cabin & as pointed out it is a safety hazard to park it in the hallway

Lyn

After the Concordia accident one of the regulations is that NOTHING can be stored in the hallway. The only way you can use a scooter on the R ships and probably on the O ships as well will be in a larger cabin than you are talking about. Some people seem to manage Kipling in their cabin but it will be very tight.

You're not going to believe this, but proposals are now in the works for the next generation of Cruise Ships to have "Scooter Storage Alcoves" throughout their passenger accommodations.

How long do you think it will be before somebody tries to smuggle the Grandkids in one of them? :p

Did you advise Oceania you are bringing a scooter??

I am surprised they did not tell you that the cabin would not be suitable to store your scooter inside the cabin & as pointed out it is a safety hazard to park it in the hallway

Lyn

Hello LHT28,

Haven't notified Oceania yet because I haven't decided to do this. From all of the very useful information I'm getting, I think I will have to go with a Plan B. Just don't know what Plan B is yet.

Good Point, and my MIL was in a travel wheelchair on two of the R ships and there are a number of sills and ledges between the rooms which one might not notice while walking, but which would make using a scooter very difficult.

Hi JimandStan,

We are new to Oceania. You seem to be veterans. So, please allow me to ask you a question. We have a concierge cabin, 216 sq ft. I just spoke with Special Needs at Sea. They are a rental company dealing with cruise ships. They told me that the chair and battery can be taken apart so that the scooter can be stored in the cabin. So, from your knowledge, do you think this would be manageable? Thanks for your opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi JimandStan,

We are new to Oceania. You seem to be veterans. So, please allow me to ask you a question. We have a concierge cabin, 216 sq ft. I just spoke with Special Needs at Sea. They are a rental company dealing with cruise ships. They told me that the chair and battery can be taken apart so that the scooter can be stored in the cabin. So, from your knowledge, do you think this would be manageable? Thanks for your opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've had some experience with those Scooters lately, as Stans' Dad is using one these days, and even disassembled each piece weighs thirty or forty pounds. I'm not sure how much brawn you can muster, but that might be tough to maneuver, even if you can find the room in your cabin, which would be VERY tight, indeed. If you are able to switch to a handicap stateroom or a Penthouse, you will be far more comfortable in the room.

The larger picture, however, is that I would not suggest getting a Scooter to use on an R ship at all because those ships were built before the current Accessibility Regulations were in place, and there are a number of lips and ledges in the floors of the doorways between the rooms which the Scooter would have to be lifted up and over.

You're not going to believe this, but proposals are now in the works for the next generation of Cruise Ships to have "Scooter Storage Alcoves" throughout their passenger accommodations.

That sounds like a wonderful, inclusive idea. I don't use a scooter, but I know there are those that do and a cruise vacation would be ideal for them.

And who knows what the future holds for any of us?

So far I haven't needed to use a scooter (although my brother-in-law did after a severe stroke), but as I've mentioned before I blew out my meniscus just before we boarded Regatta for the non-Libya cruise in November 2005. I was limping around but then on the first or second night at dinner in the GDR I was squeezing by already seated diners in one of those 3-in-a-row tables for two and totally wrenched my knee. I got to my seat and thought I was fine, but after dinner when I tried to walk, I couldn't.

Those waiters instantly appeared with a wheelchair, which I used for the balance of the cruise. We were fortunate to have upgraded at the last minute to an OS from a PH and so we had room in our cabin for the wheelchair, but if I'd needed a scooter I don't know what I would have done in the PH.

Given the demographics of Oceania cruises -- especially as fares increase -- making space for such items in the cabins is a great idea.

Mura