Just scored a nice price drop

cmoose

Just saved $575 on my June cruise....doing the happy dance!!:):):)

I am soon to be looking to book a cruise round the Med for 7 days for May next year. Based on your quote, I would be grateful if you could advise what price you paid when you booked and when you booked and more important how did you manage to get a price reduction after you had booked

I am soon to be looking to book a cruise round the Med for 7 days for May next year. Based on your quote, I would be grateful if you could advise what price you paid when you booked and when you booked and more important how did you manage to get a price reduction after you had booked

Price drops before final payment are routine for the U.S. European booking, UK specific are not eligible, something to do with the regulations you guys have. You get more travel protections than we do, but can't always/ever get the price drops.

Price drops before final payment are routine for the U.S. European booking, UK specific are not eligible, something to do with the regulations you guys have. You get more travel protections than we do, but can't always/ever get the price drops.

There are no regulations that prevent a cruiseline changing the price you pay(down).

There are some rules on price increases and changes to the holiday like ports.

It is a lot harder to get the price adjustments as it means work for a TA and reduced returns.

Also we can't cancel as most holidays come with contractual non refundable deposits.

NCL uk will try to accomodate a cabin change on price drops(no money back) easier if booked direct or with a TA that is know to be good in this area.

I am not too sure exactly what you mean. Are you saying that if I book direct with NCL from England , then there is never a price drop, yet if I lived in USA , then I could receive a reduction in the price, even after booking?

What do you mean about regulations?

I am not too sure exactly what you mean. Are you saying that if I book direct with NCL from England , then there is never a price drop, yet if I lived in USA , then I could receive a reduction in the price, even after booking?

What do you mean about regulations?

If you book through NCL US you can get the same drops as US people do.

If you book through NCL UK it gets a bit harder and they prefer to do upgrades and sometimes OBC.

Neither do all the price drops as some are new bookings only and with others you have to factor in any bonus offers like OBC or free stuff as sometimes these will be lost.

A lot of TA's charge admin fees as well and if you read the small print(not checked recently) NCL uk also can make admin charges for changes.

I booked last June 2013 for a June 2014 trip. I did get some OBC and other amenities because I was more than 9 months out and booked a suite, also had an HSN offer which gave more OBC and a couple of dinners. I did loose $150 of OBC when I did the price drop. The gal in reservations didn't tell me that at the time but when I called back to question it was told that I lost it because now we are no longer 9 months out. I still have all the other amenities. I guess that makes sense and it was still a win on the price . Just be sure to ask if calling to do a price adjustment, will this change my OBC/amenities?

I booked last June 2013 for a June 2014 trip. I did get some OBC and other amenities because I was more than 9 months out and booked a suite, also had an HSN offer which gave more OBC and a couple of dinners. I did loose $150 of OBC when I did the price drop. The gal in reservations didn't tell me that at the time but when I called back to question it was told that I lost it because now we are no longer 9 months out. I still have all the other amenities. I guess that makes sense and it was still a win on the price . Just be sure to ask if calling to do a price adjustment, will this change my OBC/amenities?

But why did you get a reduction in your price? Did NCL telephone you to advise the price had dropped?

No they didn't call me. I check the price almost every day. I go to the NCL site and book a dummy reservation with all the same info as the trip I have booked. When I did that today the price was lower. So because I have my cruise book directly with NCL I called them directly and they did the adjustment. If you book with a travel agent they would have to do the adjustment as they own the booking. This can only be done before the final payment is made. After that all bets are off. Does that make sense?

No they didn't call me. I check the price almost every day. I go to the NCL site and book a dummy reservation with all the same info as the trip I have booked. When I did that today the price was lower. So because I have my cruise book directly with NCL I called them directly and they did the adjustment.

Exactly what I did with my upcoming Alaska cruise (except I booked through a TA).

Checked price, it was about $220 less

Called the TA, they confirmed with NCL,

Offered an upgrade, no thank you, I want the lower price

Rebooked at lower price. (Final payment is not due until May)

Edited by lax19

But why did you get a reduction in your price? Did NCL telephone you to advise the price had dropped?

More often than not I book with a US agent and after establishing the base price of the cruise at time of booking I monitor the price drops using an online site who email me every time there is a price change. This service is easy to set up and only costs a few dollars.

Just paid for out next cruise and had a price drop applied a while ago and another about a week before paying. Remember though that there is the currency conversion to factor in and this can result in a price increase or saving-this time for me it was a saving.

Not all lines allow you to book with a US agent if you live in the UK, but at the moment there is no problem with NCL.

It appears to me that US cruisers have a far better deal than those from the UK with regards to the booking conditions and in particular, cancellation and price drops, although I have argued and received price drops with UK bookings. Each time I have been reminded that they are under no obligation to give the price drop but did so as a goodwill gesture.

I thought I got a nice price on an upgrade the other day, but she had silently rolled my prepaid gratuities into my new cabin price and charged me the remainder. Now I have to pay my gratuities again and the price was that much higher than I would have paid. I like my new cabin and will have a Great Time on the cruise, just would not have willingly paid that much for the upgrade.:o

Edited by BarBug

I thought I got a nice price on an upgrade the other day, but she had silently rolled my prepaid gratuities into my new cabin price and charged me the remainder. Now I have to pay my gratuities again and the price was that much higher than I would have paid. I like my new cabin and will have a Great Time on the cruise, just would not have willingly paid that much for the upgrade.:o

COMPLAIN and get that fixed.

See my message below to OP. they also track in currencies other than US$.

Just saved $575 on my June cruise....doing the happy dance!!:):):)

I know the feeling! I've done that happy dance myself a few times... good for you! Did you know though that there's a website that will track the changes for you so you don't have to? Like you, I used to check daily, sometimes several times daily if my ocd kicked in, but then I found this website. cost was $4.99 to track 5 separate cruises (5 credits). The credits never expire, so if you only go on one cruise every other year, fine. If you go on 5 in one year, you just use them up faster. Initially I figured if it was a scam, I'd be out $5, but it's performed exactly as planned. Last year it found me 3 drops on my Oct 13 cruise, so far this year it's alerted me to 6 for my Oct 14 cruise. Those 6 didn't all apply to my hubby & me personally, but they did apply to others in our party. 4 applied to us personally. The other 2 were military discount & fire/police discount. The senior & resident discount applied to us as well as 2 other drops that occurred as we disembarked last year's cruise. Cruise critic won't allow me to give the website name, but if you Google "cruise price drop alerts" it's the first site that pops up. it's a huge time saver!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I know the feeling! I've done that happy dance myself a few times... good for you! Did you know though that there's a website that will track the changes for you so you don't have to?...........

Beware that site does not track 100% accurate so worth doing your own checks as well

It's not too bad on NCL but does miss some deals and specials.

Last year it started loosing loads of celebrity deals and seems to have lost rack of GTY cabins catagories (just checked and still missing).

Beware that site does not track 100% accurate so worth doing your own checks as well

It's not too bad on NCL but does miss some deals and specials.

Last year it started loosing loads of celebrity deals and seems to have lost rack of GTY cabins catagories (just checked and still missing).

Thanks for the warning, but that hasn't been my experience, however I should add that I have only tracked 3 RC cruises in specific cabin categories. The only discount it missed was one from my travel agent (but TA had sent me an email regarding that one), not the cruise line. I'll watch for what you describe, but it hasn't been my experience, like I said. One member of our party is interested in tracking Gty cabins &I definitely get alerts for those.

My only irritation with the site is the #of alerts I get. About 5x a day I'll get alerts saying a group of categories are "gone", then they're "back" then they're "gone" etc. I've learned to just ignore it. Whether it's because people do false bookings then release them, I don't know. (I do them too.)

In every situation where they have found me a discount it has resulted in me getting that discount for either my cabin or the other cabins I book for (5 total). For instance, it alerted me to the resident discount, so all 5 cabins got it (twice) then there was a senior discount 4 of the 5 cabins got it, then the military discount came out a few days later & 2 cabins qualified. No one qualified for the police/firefighter/emt discount alert that I received but I just track that in case my daughter & her hubby decide to come.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk