Heard the Fascination hit some ROUGH seas last night

jmak315

My mom is waiting to debark and texted me to say this cruise might be it for her. Apparently it was really bad.

It is funny that you mentioned rough seas in February. The only time I have ever cruised in February the seas were somewhat rough and the weather was not that good, it was ok and I never cruised in February since. I've been in rough seas a few times and it is not fun specially if your prone to sea sickness. I hope your Mom is ok and hopefully she did enjoy herself.

Gary

I've cruised in May once the weather was great!!!!!!

Gary

I've had excellent luck cruising in May *knock on wood*. These dead of winter sailings though, not so much... I've hit some very rough seas in late December - January.

I probably shouldn't tell you that one of my May cruises we had 20 foot seas for 2 straight days? :p On the other hand, our other May cruise seas were almost flat.

Our winter cruises usually have at least one day of noticeable motion on them. I think it's fun so it doesn't bother me but you really can't predict it.

Thanks everyone! She is home safe and sound now but she explained that it was quite the scary scene. She said the waiters in the dining room were delivering dishes when the ship listed and the waiters dropped everything and the sound of the breakage is something she won't soon forget. People were nervous and walking around with their life jackets on. One man in a fifth floor ocean view room reported that the water was up to his window. One man was asking my mom how to get on the lifeboats :( Poor fella...sadly enough, she heard some people say this was their first cruise and will be their last. I hate that they may not give it another go.

I do have to say that she said the captains and the crew did an OUTSTANDING job. She said they were reassuring to people and told them everything will be fine and there is nothing to panic about. She said they took control of the situation and moved the party inside and did a great job overall of keeping people entertained and distracted.

I have learned this...you cannot predict Mother Nature no matter how hard you try.

Some of the roughest, worse water conditions I ever experienced were off the coast of Fl. I fed the fishes all night long. That was in March.

Since then, I have cruised 10 times. Only once more did I ever have any issues with being sick or extremely high swells. That was in March as well, leaving from Galveston.

I cruised the Fascination February 2012. The worst seas I've ever experienced. People were sick and it was just gross. The crew was great though, they set out a lot of green apples, encouraging us to eat them to settle our stomachs.

I won't sail in cold months again...that's for sure :)

Glad your mom is safe!

I agree! I don't want to sail in cold months again either.

We had some rough seas on the Fascination this past November.

I don't get seasick, but I like to leave in warm weather and return in warm weather!

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

You'll need to wait about 20 secs for the whole 3-day animated loop to load

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/atlm.html?map=wave&animate=1#map

Each "jump" in action is 6 hrs.

Keep an eye on the time and date stamp at the top of the graphic.

Wow, Someone could be in for a fun ride today and tomorrow it looks like.

I think any ship currently along the coastal Atlantic is in for a ride.

I received word from friends that just embarked on Splendor (2/13/14) that by 8pm some passengers were already seasick.

Oh I can believe that! I live just north of NYC and we had warnings for the coastal areas for flooding...waves were supposed to be huge. Very rough seas around here last night.

Hopefully things even out for them..

Any other have info on this - I am due to board her on Monday and wondering how bad it was - any damage? or was it just a rough night....

Thanks,

Tammi

The weather started getting rough, the modest ship was tossed, if not for the courage of the fearless crew the Facination would be lost, the Fascination would be lost.

Edited by walty