Spending Allowance for Kids on the Breakaway

CARALOU20

Not sure what the spending cards are called on NCL but I'm assuming that my kids also get one when we board the ship. On other cruise lines I have been able to put a set amount on their cards. They can then decide how to budget it and what to use it on. (They are teens by the way). Am I also able to do that on our NCL cruise. I seem to be finding conflicting info about this as I'm reading it's either 0 or unlimited and neither of those options seems appropriate.

We are sailing on Breakaway this July.

My son (18) and I plan on using the $$ we have been saving to pay our extra expenses onboard.

Of course, since he's 18, I don't really have a say in setting a limit for him.

But we plan on having a zero balance when settling our accounts the night before we leave.

We've been working very hard to save.

Every little bit helps. This trip is one of the more expensive ones we've taken, but we are so excited to be on a brand new ship like Breakaway!!

Happy Cruising!!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

you cannot put limits on credit cards tied to an account. The only way to do it is apply cash to the account, and when the cash runs out the card stops working for spending.

What I did instead was tell my kids they had a $10 per day budget and they could do what they wanted with it. My teen boys nickel and dimed it away on snacks, sodas and video games. My daughter saved it up and bought herself something nice from the gift shop.

you cannot put limits on credit cards tied to an account. The only way to do it is apply cash to the account, and when the cash runs out the card stops working for spending.

What I did instead was tell my kids they had a $10 per day budget and they could do what they wanted with it. My teen boys nickel and dimed it away on snacks, sodas and video games. My daughter saved it up and bought herself something nice from the gift shop.

So if I'm understanding this right, My credit card will not be attached to their cards in any way only attached to mine. I can then just put cash on theirs and when that runs out, it done!! Not that I think my kids will go crazy but It would be nice if I don't have to worry about them going over the limit and it coming back to me.

So if I'm understanding this right, My credit card will not be attached to their cards in any way only attached to mine. I can then just put cash on theirs and when that runs out, it done!! Not that I think my kids will go crazy but It would be nice if I don't have to worry about them going over the limit and it coming back to me.
I am pretty sure that your credit card WILL be attached to their cards initially. You will need to have guest services change this, and then add the cash instead.

I am pretty sure that your credit card WILL be attached to their cards initially. You will need to have guest services change this, and then add the cash instead.

Actually in order to have separate cash accounts for kids, they can be set up immediately in the terminal.

BUT one needs to make sure that their DSC is either paid in advance or that there is enough money on the account for the daily $12 charge - in theory the kid can spend that money before the DSCs for all days are charged.

That is my understanding. You would remove your credit card from their accounts. However, you still need to deal with the DSC by paying it in advance for them. This can be done prior to your cruise or (I'm assuming) at the service desk when you set up their cash

We will be prepaying the DSC's so that won't be a concern although I didn't know those would be charged to their cards. I guess I just have to decide how much cash I should allow. I'm thinking about 75-100 total for the whole 7 day cruise. Thanks for all the info.:)

We will be prepaying the DSC's so that won't be a concern although I didn't know those would be charged to their cards. I guess I just have to decide how much cash I should allow. I'm thinking about 75-100 total for the whole 7 day cruise. Thanks for all the info.:)

Yep, every passenger's DSCs will be charged from the account their card is linked to.

But since you will be paying DSC in advance, when in terminal doing check-in, you can simply just tell the port employee setting your accounts up that specific persons will have separate cash accounts, and once you get onboard, just go to Guest Services to deposit any sum you have decided. :)

we always open our accounts in cash. we prepay our tips before the cruise. kids bring whatever they have saved up, and generally we divide it up into 2 batches....an initial deposit and then more can be added if/when needed. works well for us!! we also go over with the kids what they *might* find onboard to spend their money on! there are always surprises, but generally they want some for arcade, some for smoothies, some for a souvenir. hth!