For those with celiac's or severe gluten intolerances

I just returned from the Explorer cruise Feb 9th to Feb 16th out of Bayonne and had quite a few problems with getting gluten free alternatives. I just want to make sure that you are aware of the problems I had and take your own food aboard.

1. The staff at the Windjammer point blank told me that I shouldn't be eating there. The food that was marked gluten free (the mashed potatoes) was not gluten free. They had mixed potatoes with boxed potatoes that apparently had gluten.
  2. Before the guy at the windjammer pulled me aside and told me that I shouldn't be eating at the windjammer, I was told by the chef, that the vegetables and the mashed potatoes were fine. I had put them on my plate and then the guy serving told me that I shouldn't eat it because the vegetables were cooked with the pasta and the potatoes were partially boxed (as above). I ended up eating cheese for lunch as the guy behind the counter told me not to trust what the chef said.
  3. I was glutened in the main dining room. I am not sure which food did it to me but I believe it was the shrimp as the appetizer on Friday night. My hubby thought it was the baked alaska. This caused me severe sickness and I should be feeling better tomorrow (it takes 3-4 days to fully recover).
  4. After I was glutened and the Windjammer thing, I got very nervous about eating. I was still sick from friday night, and should have stopped eating anything fresh but did end up at the dining room and ate Saturday night. I wasn't glutened again. There were pre-packaged gluten free cookies from the Cafe Promenade and I ate those. There are also gluten free carmel popcorn in the liquor store.
  5. I complained at the windjammer but every time I went back for pop stupid gluten free sign was back on the potatoes and the guy behind the counter said "Oh yeah, that shouldn't be there."
  6. I did not complain on Friday night as I was too busy running to my cabin. I am never sure about whether I should complain and how they could possibly fix it. The waiter did nothing wrong and I didn't know which food did it and how they should fix it.

I only paid $2500 for my husband and I to take the cruise and I understand cost cutting measures need to be taken to meet these lower fares. I just want to make sure that no one ends up in the situation I was in (desperate for a grocery store to have safe food available). I should have never gone on a cruise as I had no control over my food. Others have had good experiences with the gluten free in the past but I think with the cost cutting it is no longer feasible.

Sorry about your experience. Do not have celiac myself but DGS is autistic and eats gluten free so I do have a lot of experience ferreting out acceptable items. Did you register you dietary requirements with Specials Needs six weeks prior to your trip? Your headwaiter should have gone over the next night's menu with you each evening to choose items that could be prepared GF for you. Was the shrimp approved by them as GF? I don't know how baked Alaska could ever be considered GF - did they make it special for you?

True, the WJ can be tricky. Did you ask a manager to walk you around and point out GF selections? You should take all meals in the MDR unless its a port day when it's not open for lunch in which case you don't have a huge choice but you can fix a great chef salad, have some carved meat, and steamed rice is always available. Wish you had come here before your trip to seek advice rather than after to complain.

Hey Geri:

I didn't book the cruise until about 4 weeks ago and submitted my dietary restrictions right away and got confirmation that RCI got them. My headwaiter went over the dietary restrictions every night and seemed very competent. I have no idea how they did the Baked Alaska but I didn't eat very much of it anyway as the ice cream had ice chunks in it (blech). It did not have a brownie base as I've made it before.

Everything was approved by the waiter. The menus were reused and the gluten free symbol was printed really light (almost as if it had been rubbed off). I ended every menu request with (but if you cannot get what I ordered gluten free, please feel free to substitute to make sure it is safe"). I have been ordering gluten free for a long time and am very very careful.

At the WindJammer, I asked the staff to get me someone who could tell me what I could eat. They brought out a chef. He seemed very reliable until the guy behind the counter told me he was mistaken. That day I had cheese because there was no way I was going to get glutened on my second honeymoon.

I think I did everything I possibly could to ensure they knew I could have no gluten. I am pretty paranoid about it. I have never eaten at a buffet before always being scared about cross-contamination. I find it ironic that I was so scared about the buffet and then I was glutened in the dining room.

But you get what you paid for, right?

Wish you had come here before your trip to seek advice rather than after to complain.

Huh?? I found this site less than a week before I cruised and in that time read every single thing I could find on gluten. I was so relieved when reading the post about the woman who complained that they would not allow her to have non-glutened food. I took great relief in that. I did not post my own thread but I did read everyone's advice. This is NOT me complaining, this is me trying to help the next person from having the same experience. I wish that I had read my thread before booking the cruise, maybe I will help someone else.

Edited by sleepingbeautycan

The menus may have the GF label but that means they can be prepared GF not that they are available to order off the menu. They need to be pre-ordered so the preparation is monitored.

For future reference and for others who are reading this who need GF options.... ALWAYS speak to the Head Chef in WindJammer the first time you go there.... his name will be on a board outside so you can ask for him by name. Get him/her to show you round. If necessary do this each time you dine there. Do NOT take the advice of the servers or wait staff. DO escalate any issues that arise. The crew need to learn and appreciate how important this is.

The menus may have the GF label but that means they can be prepared GF not that they are available to order off the menu. They need to be pre-ordered so the preparation is monitored.

For future reference and for others who are reading this who need GF options.... ALWAYS speak to the Head Chef in WindJammer the first time you go there.... his name will be on a board outside so you can ask for him by name. Get him/her to show you round. If necessary do this each time you dine there. Do NOT take the advice of the servers or wait staff. DO escalate any issues that arise. The crew need to learn and appreciate how important this is.

My waiter and I had a long discussion every night about what foods I could have. He assured me that he would make sure that everyone knew about my intolerance. I know that the label just indicated things that could be made GF. But I picked things that had that label so that they could be modified. Like I had said the labels were faded and I wondered if the baked alaska actually had a label or if there was a smudge that looked like the GF label. So I looked up a menu and the baked alaska was something that was available GF.

At the windjammer, I asked to speak to someone who could help me with gluten free. The man identified himself as the head chef. He showed me around and he gave me bad information. I was so happy that the guy behind the counter told me that there was gluten in the potatoes and vegetables that the Head Chef did not know about. After the counter guy told me that, I did escalate with the head chef. He mumbled something about the staff not doing things right, he offered to make me fresh un-glutened food but I refused as I was spooked. I ate cheese. There were profuse apologies but no changes as the next night the things were the exact same.

I did not complain in the dining room as I did not know what had glutened me and I knew that there was no way for them to fix the problem. Plus I was running to my cabin.

What am I missing here? I think I did everything right, why are all the questions to ferret out how I screwed up? I enjoyed the cruise (except the food), it was good and an inexpensive way to celebrate our second honeymoon. But I just wanted to warn people about how gluten was handled.

What am I missing here? I think I did everything right, why are all the questions to ferret out how I screwed up? I enjoyed the cruise (except the food), it was good and an inexpensive way to celebrate our second honeymoon. But I just wanted to warn people about how gluten was handled.

So sorry you had that happen to you. FWIW, I honestly don't think anyone is "trying to ferret out how you screwed up", they're just trying to provide suggestions about how to make sure it doesn't happen. In this case, sounds like some of the suggestions are things you DID do, and unfortunately that wasn't enough.

My waiter and I had a long discussion every night about what foods I could have. He assured me that he would make sure that everyone knew about my intolerance. I know that the label just indicated things that could be made GF. But I picked things that had that label so that they could be modified. Like I had said the labels were faded and I wondered if the baked alaska actually had a label or if there was a smudge that looked like the GF label. So I looked up a menu and the baked alaska was something that was available GF.

At the windjammer, I asked to speak to someone who could help me with gluten free. The man identified himself as the head chef. He showed me around and he gave me bad information. I was so happy that the guy behind the counter told me that there was gluten in the potatoes and vegetables that the Head Chef did not know about. After the counter guy told me that, I did escalate with the head chef. He mumbled something about the staff not doing things right, he offered to make me fresh un-glutened food but I refused as I was spooked. I ate cheese. There were profuse apologies but no changes as the next night the things were the exact same.

I did not complain in the dining room as I did not know what had glutened me and I knew that there was no way for them to fix the problem. Plus I was running to my cabin.

I'm sorry if anything I said upset you.... I certainly hadn't intended to.... I've been served apparently GF food in the past that wasn't and was trying to give others a heads up. Trying to explain to others what the effect is of the input of gluten into my diet is something you managed to do quite eloquently...

Did you select the gluten free diet on your RCL profile?

Did you take an gluten enzymes with you to break down any gluten you accidentally ingested?

Just wondering if this is a common experience, and whether gluten-sensitive individuals should take gluten enzymes on a regular basis on the cruise, even if they are told their food is gluten free.

Your ordered you dinner the day before each night? They will make you most of the menu gluten free even if it is not gluten free... I like the mushroom torte and they made it special for me with a gluten free bread. Other menu items were also done for me to allow me to eat just like the rest of the family..... I am surprised you had so many problems. They even have a special area of the kitchen that creates the special orders all day so you will not get contaminated with the rest of the kitchen.

No, anyone telling you "too bad, take a pill and don't trust the sign" is being naive and overly accommodating to the cruise line. If something is labeled as gluten free it should be GF and if its not its a MAJOR (not minor) screw up on the cruise lines part. You did everything you should (and lol at people treating someone with Celiacs like they have never ordered or eaten GF in a restaurant) and RCCI dropped the ball. You should file a complaint so this (hopefully) doesn't have to happen to anyone else.

I am so sorry this happened to you - my husband has Celiacs and sadly a lot of people think the lack of gluten is a choice so if it mixes in "no big deal" as opposed to making the consumer seriously ill

I just returned from the Explorer cruise Feb 9th to Feb 16th out of Bayonne and had quite a few problems with getting gluten free alternatives. I just want to make sure that you are aware of the problems I had and take your own food aboard.

Sorry to hear you had trouble. My niece (9 years old) has celiac and I understand how sick even a trace amount can make you. I have forwarded several conversations on eating GF on cruises to my sister as I would love for her family to have the chance at a cruise -- but your story is very concerning.

One thing I noticed in my recent cruise -- lots of opportunity for cross contamination in the WJ -- from moved utensils to misunderstandings on what is in / with food (bacon stored in warmer on bread for example). I would think you should always ask for your own versions of dishes -- just to minimize the risk.

On a side note -went with my sister and her family to Disney last year and was VERY impressed with how they handled the GF diet -- both at the resort and park restaurants. A week in the parks and my niece didn't have any trouble. Perhaps RCI can hire away some of their team!!

Your ordered you dinner the day before each night? They will make you most of the menu gluten free even if it is not gluten free... I like the mushroom torte and they made it special for me with a gluten free bread. Other menu items were also done for me to allow me to eat just like the rest of the family..... I am surprised you had so many problems. They even have a special area of the kitchen that creates the special orders all day so you will not get contaminated with the rest of the kitchen.

Yep ordered the night before every night except the first and had steak and vegetables the first night. Have you sailed in the last month? I think things have changed. I know mistakes/accidents happen. I got a feeling that tells me that there may have been a shift in how they do special orders. I was not encouraged to order anything without the gluten free symbol. Also a couple of GF food items had to be substituted because of availability. I didn't mind, I just wanted to be safe.

People at my table were complaining about the french onion soup. It was different they said. It had no shredded cheese over the top like I've seen at restaurants. So maybe they cut down a lot of their recipes and that included curtailing their GF special orders.

No, anyone telling you "too bad, take a pill and don't trust the sign" is being naive and overly accommodating to the cruise line. If something is labeled as gluten free it should be GF and if its not its a MAJOR (not minor) screw up on the cruise lines part. You did everything you should (and lol at people treating someone with Celiacs like they have never ordered or eaten GF in a restaurant) and RCCI dropped the ball. You should file a complaint so this (hopefully) doesn't have to happen to anyone else.

I am so sorry this happened to you - my husband has Celiacs and sadly a lot of people think the lack of gluten is a choice so if it mixes in "no big deal" as opposed to making the consumer seriously ill

I wish you and your husband a good cruise, I hope that the problems that I had are a one off thing. I will be filing a complaint with RCCI. I hope they take it seriously.

Sorry to hear you had trouble. My niece (9 years old) has celiac and I understand how sick even a trace amount can make you. I have forwarded several conversations on eating GF on cruises to my sister as I would love for her family to have the chance at a cruise -- but your story is very concerning.

One thing I noticed in my recent cruise -- lots of opportunity for cross contamination in the WJ -- from moved utensils to misunderstandings on what is in / with food (bacon stored in warmer on bread for example). I would think you should always ask for your own versions of dishes -- just to minimize the risk.

On a side note -went with my sister and her family to Disney last year and was VERY impressed with how they handled the GF diet -- both at the resort and park restaurants. A week in the parks and my niece didn't have any trouble. Perhaps RCI can hire away some of their team!!

Yeah, the WJ had a lot of cross contamination issues and the head chef seemed unaware. I should have asked for my own version of the food but I hate having to be special.

I think in the future I will go on vacations where I can make my own food. It's a pain but I don't end up ruining my husband's time. I was pretty sick in NYC where we spent a night after the cruise.

I'm not trying to be 'smart' here... I'm really curious... How would you have managed 5 years (or so) ago... when no one ever heard of a GF meal in a restaurant or on a cruise ship?

I hope you will try cruising again... and follow the suggestions...

Inform the Special Needs Department prior to cruising... this is your first and best step.

Inform the head waiter and waiter... Preorder all your meal the evening before.

Don't eat at a buffet... cross contamination... is your enemy. If you feel you have to eat here... allow the chef to prepare something special for you. Did you know that the kitchens all have a 'gluten free' area for prep?

Use room service and when the dining room is open, eat there -- you can preorder your lunch too!

They will do everything they can to accommodate you. If you feel you are getting the wrong information... then by all mean... work you way up to a meeting with the Hotel Director.

Finally... if this is all 'too much' for an enjoyable vacation... then maybe cruising isn't for you... I hope not. It sounds like the rest of your cruise was good! Best of luck!

Did you select the gluten free diet on your RCL profile?

I told my travel agent and when I got aboard they seemed to be aware of it. I'm not sure where my RCL profile is.

Did you take an gluten enzymes with you to break down any gluten you accidentally ingested?

I take pancreatic enzymes, but I've never been recommended to take gluten enzymes. I've never even heard of it. I just ran a google search and so far the enzymes haven't been proven to help gluten symptoms. I think the mechanism of celiac's is not that your body has trouble processing the protein, it is that the immune system goes nuts when it detects the protein and annihilates anything near the protein (usually the stomach lining). So an enzyme is practically useless for those with celiacs.

Just wondering if this is a common experience, and whether gluten-sensitive individuals should take gluten enzymes on a regular basis on the cruise, even if they are told their food is gluten free.

If most gluten sensitive people are like me, they will choose another vacation rather than the chance of getting hit. It is pretty painful and lasts a long time (ruining the vacation). I'm glad I got hit on Friday night. We had a good time up until then and my husband was able to do some stuff Saturday while I stayed in our cabin. It was pretty hairy getting off the ship when the washrooms had long lines and no toilet paper. I was pretty frustrated and had a good cry when we got to our hotel.

I'm not trying to be 'smart' here... I'm really curious... How would you have managed 5 years (or so) ago... when no one ever heard of a GF meal in a restaurant or on a cruise ship?

No worries. I would have never tried a cruise. Our usual vacations are going to a city, renting a house with a kitchen and making my own food. I saw all of the people who were able to do GF on a cruise, and hubby wanted to go on one, so I took a chance.

I hope you will try cruising again... and follow the suggestions...

Inform the Special Needs Department prior to cruising... this is your first and best step.

Did that.

Inform the head waiter and waiter... Preorder all your meal the evening before.

Did that.

Don't eat at a buffet... cross contamination... is your enemy. If you feel you have to eat here... allow the chef to prepare something special for you. Did you know that the kitchens all have a 'gluten free' area for prep?

I had to eat in the WJ on an excursion day and when I slept in one day. I ended up eating cheese one day and getting my reserved meal the other day. It was harrowing and would not recommend it.

Use room service and when the dining room is open, eat there -- you can preorder your lunch too!

The room service only offered the gluten free pizza. It is nasty. But I did eat the GF cookies.

They will do everything they can to accommodate you. If you feel you are getting the wrong information... then by all mean... work you way up to a meeting with the Hotel Director.

I did not realize that there was a way to complain above the head chef. I told the front desk (customer service?) but they did not seem to respond. I should have done a better job of complaining but I was on vacation and I have a bad temper and do everything I can to keep it under wraps.

Finally... if this is all 'too much' for an enjoyable vacation... then maybe cruising isn't for you... I hope not. It sounds like the rest of your cruise was good! Best of luck!

I think that cruising is not for me. As I could not trust the cruise line again. I did lose weight on the cruise so that was a good news thing. I just wanted to let others know that the gluten free system is in disrepair.

Thanks for responding. I am sorry that cruising is out for you... but do understand. I know it is difficult. I have a life threatening food allergy... and the staff has always been great about making sure I am not served certain foods. But, gluten seems to be in everything... and there is the problem. I wish you all the best... and hope you enjoy your next holiday!

But, gluten seems to be in everything... and there is the problem.

Gluten is in most PROCESSED foods. It isn't in potatoes, but is in the mashed potatoes served onboard because a processed mix is added to the potatoes. :(

I love using the wonderful recipes in my Royal Caribbean cookbooks at home, but cannot eat the same foods onboard the ships - because they are not made according to their own recipes! Example, i cannot eat the Caesar salad dressing onboard due to my gluten intolerance because the dressing served is processed (purchased in jars filled with chemicals none of us need -including gluten that a small percentage can not digest) and NOT the amazingly simple and delicious dressing in the cookbook.

The solution is simple and would be healthier for everyone on board. If RCL is not willing to do this, they should stop selling the cookbooks.

Hoppy

Edited by Hoppy2cruise

Yep ordered the night before every night except the first and had steak and vegetables the first night. Have you sailed in the last month? I think things have changed. I know mistakes/accidents happen. I got a feeling that tells me that there may have been a shift in how they do special orders. I was not encouraged to order anything without the gluten free symbol. Also a couple of GF food items had to be substituted because of availability. I didn't mind, I just wanted to be safe.

People at my table were complaining about the french onion soup. It was different they said. It had no shredded cheese over the top like I've seen at restaurants. So maybe they cut down a lot of their recipes and that included curtailing their GF special orders.

I cruised with RCCL twice last year.. once in July and again Christmas week, so that was about 2 months ago. I had no problems and got all the food I needed.

LindaO, five years ago the cruise lines handled it very well. My son, DIL, and 2 grandsons are all GF and had no problems on RCCL (or Princess.) Younger grandson is also dairy intolerant and they were very good about going over his food choices. MY DIL would even meet with the Head Chef to make sure about how foods were prepared. She would also take a suitcase with prepackaged foods that could be taken off the ship for them to eat while in ports.

OP, I am sorry that you had a bad experience. My family has been on several cruises and not had any issues. Let me also say that my youngest grandson would react the same as you if he got any gluten and within a matter of minutes.

Admittedly we haven't cruised in the last few years because the boys have reached an age where school activities run through holiday breaks (at least the training does) and summers are taken up with baseball. It is disturbing to read that it may not be up to the standards that it once was.

On behalf of those with issues, I appreciate that you are going to take the time to write a letter of concern. Cut backs or not, this needs to be dealt with.

• 3 weeks later...

This will be my first cruise since having to eliminate Gluten. The cruise is less intimidating to me then going on a "regular" vacation and eating out in different restaurants every night.

I am pretty new to this, about a year, but I have found a better response in restaurants when I say I have a "gluten allergy". Food allergy is a significant concern in restaurants and most have some training for it. If I simply ask for a GF menu or a list of GF foods they think it's just a lifestyle choice and cross contamination is more likely. I started doing that after a server at Cheesecake Factory asked me if it was an allergy or a choice. She said for an allergy it would be prepared in a different part of the kitchen with precautions - if it is a choice they cook it on the regular line, the GF pasta will likely be cooked in a pan that just cooked regular pasta.

What are your favorite GF items available on the ship? Best dessert? is anything terrible?

No worries. I would have never tried a cruise. Our usual vacations are going to a city, renting a house with a kitchen and making my own food. I saw all of the people who were able to do GF on a cruise, and hubby wanted to go on one, so I took a chance.

Thanks for responding. I am sorry that cruising is out for you... but do understand. I know it is difficult. I have a life threatening food allergy... and the staff has always been great about making sure I am not served certain foods. But, gluten seems to be in everything... and there is the problem. I wish you all the best... and hope you enjoy your next holiday!

Yes, so sorry your vacation turned out the way it did, OP, and best of luck in the future with your vacations.

The suggestion from one poster to say you have a gluten ALLERGY vs. just asking for gluten-free sounds like a good idea in general, maybe that will help in the future, cruise or not.