O'Sheehan's coming to six more vessels

FIRELT5

(The link in the OP is dead....)

So when are these changes going to be made?

I'm going on the Star in November, I hope it's done by then.

We've been on both the Star and the Dawn and both times we found the Star Bar to be completely wasted space. Yes, you'd occasionally see people there, but it was sorely underutilized given its location. I think they did the friends of Bill/Dorothy meetings there, and it seems to me that the concierge would use it at a meeting place for those who needed extra hand holding on port days.

So it would be nice to see them do something with it for everybody to enjoy.

It's just like the Epic Club on the Epic. Great location. Pretty decor. Vast wasteland.

(The link in the OP is dead....)

So when are these changes going to be made?

I'm going on the Star in November, I hope it's done by then.

Star goes to drydock next year, so the change won't be done before your cruise.

We've been on both the Star and the Dawn and both times we found the Star Bar to be completely wasted space. Yes, you'd occasionally see people there, but it was sorely underutilized given its location. I think they did the friends of Bill/Dorothy meetings there, and it seems to me that the concierge would use it at a meeting place for those who needed extra hand holding on port days.

So it would be nice to see them do something with it for everybody to enjoy.

I strongly disagree with your assessment about Star Bar - also it can be found on Jewel class ships too so it's there for almost half of the fleet. It would be underutilized if it was closed during evenings etc, now it's just a really nice and usually quite quiet enviroment to escape to when the commotion in the Bar City (or the pub on Dawn class) gets overwhelming. Everybody could go there if needed and so NCL already does something "for everybody to enjoy" with the bar - even more after it becomes the Mojito bar.

What comes to so called "hand holding" by the concierge - it's too bad that you don't appreciate (or don't have access to) extra service like priority disembarkation, to us it's one of the best perks available for suite and VIP passengers (especially on tender ports).

P.S. It would be highly unusual to host Friends of Bill W meetings in a bar - even a closed one.

Edited by Demonyte

Star goes to drydock next year, so the change won't be done before your cruise.

I strongly disagree with your assessment about Star Bar - also it can be found on Jewel class ships too so it's there for almost half of the fleet. It would be underutilized if it was closed during evenings etc, now it's just a really nice and usually quite quiet enviroment to escape to when the commotion in the Bar City (or the pub on Dawn class) gets overwhelming. Everybody could go there if needed and so NCL already does something "for everybody to enjoy" with the bar - even more after it becomes the Mojito bar.

What comes to so called "hand holding" by the concierge - it's too bad that you don't appreciate (or don't have access to) extra service like priority disembarkation, to us it's one of the best perks available for suite and VIP passengers (especially on tender ports).

P.S. It would be highly unusual to host Friends of Bill W meetings in a bar - even a closed one.

Sorry. I guess 'hand holding' was a poor choice of words. It's where the concierge had guests come during port days in the early morning so he could sell them excursions. My wife and I thought it was funny how people could leave it to the last second to figure out what to do.

And yeah, they did have the friends of Bill W at the Star Bar. I was walking around one sea day and thought I'd check out the Star Bar. I checked it out almost every day, and 9 times out of 10 it was closed. One afternoon, however, the door was open but was roped off with a sign that said 'friends of Bill W meeting in progress'. I never thought about the irony at the time. :) .

so, it looks like these changes will occur during the jewell class ship dry dock. Does this make sense? If your doing a revamp of a deck; you can't do that during a day or two turn; so dry dock seems the most obvious choice.

so, it looks like these changes will occur during the jewell class ship dry dock. Does this make sense? If your doing a revamp of a deck; you can't do that during a day or two turn; so dry dock seems the most obvious choice.

Yep, with all the changes they have included to this upgrade round, for many of them they need drydock. Even with transforming the Spanish restaurant to Moderno few years ago took couple of weeks during normal operations (at least on Star) and now they'd need to do a lot more than to just add a salad table and change some kitchen equipment. So it seems that many ships getting the changes will get them in 2016 at earliest (that is for example the 5-year mark from Jade's last drydock) - those going to drydock next year should have been announced pretty much already.

Is the food at O'Sheehan's better than Blue Lagoon? I thought that Blue Lagoon was just so so.

About the same. Some more options like non-complimentary ice cream menu (from what I've heard, the portitions are BIG) and also O'Sheehan's (at least on Breakaway class ships) has changing dinner specials like fried chicken, prime rib, etc.

Is the food at O'Sheehan's better than Blue Lagoon? I thought that Blue Lagoon was just so so.

There are a few more choices and the dinner specials as mentioned. We found the wings on the BA different (not as good) as we've had on the previous NCL sailings.

The problem we had with Blue Lagoon was very poor, slow, inaccurate service. On the BA the service in O'Sheehans was excellent, fast, accurate, hot.

Demonyte, I see you have sailed Jade before and are going on her again. I also see you live in Finland; so the air travel isn't like mine will be from US. What do you like about Jade; or do you sail her because of the itineraries?

Demonyte, I see you have sailed Jade before and are going on her again. I also see you live in Finland; so the air travel isn't like mine will be from US. What do you like about Jade; or do you sail her because of the itineraries?

We love all Jewel class ships (even though we haven't been on Gem - yet) so we're fine with any one of them, Jade just happens to be the one on this side of the pond.

Mainly we have chosen cruises on her because of the shorter distance - first time we just wanted to try cruising and starting from Barcelona was the cheapest choice, last summer we needed a quick getaway so flying direct from Helsinki to Venice fit the bill perfectly, next week we are taking few of our cruise newbie friends with us, so shorter cruise closer to home is nicer (also Jade is IMO a better, more relaxed ship for newbies than Epic would have been) - and next year it's going to be my step-dad's 60th birthday cruise and he isn't that keen on again taking the long flights to Miami because of his health/mobility issues.

But I have to admit, both legs of Jade's alternating summer itinerary are really interesting - I loved and could take another Greek Isles cruise in a heartbeat and our next week's itinerary with two stops in Croatia crosses things off of our bucket list too. :D

I'm not so keen on the Eastern Med winter route that well take next year from Rome but as I said, there were other reasons to choose that specific cruise. :)

Edited by Demonyte

Demonyte, thanks for the Feedback. We will be on Jade May 2015 for B2B 14 night hitting all the spots you have. Croatia, Turkey, Greece; We sailed the Western Med for 12 Days on Voyager of the Seas; so we hit Spain, England, Portugal, France, and Italy; we also sailed Splendour of the Seas out of venice; and we loved that ship. I do like all the activities on the larger ships; like Allure of the Seas; but like to relax on smaller ones. We have never sailed NCL; but with freestyle offered; I thought we would try it.

Really looking forward to the great food. Here's a site that shows some really good pictures. Only six months to go.

[URL]https://www.google.com/search?q=o%27sheehan%27s+menu&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3kqDU_CaHOeg8QHG24C4DA&ved=0CHUQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=941[/URL]

We loved the wings on the Blue Lagoon. They were flavorful and crisp. O'Sheehan's wings were wet and not nearly as good. The prime rib at O'Sheehan's was very good. I would definitely do that again. Their desserts are not very good.