COUNTDOWN to REGAL PRINCESS: News, updates, and general information!!!

dmwnc1959

If it were, only because it was the best two weeks I have ever spent on a cruise ship. The combination of friends, food, and a stunning ship surpassed anything I have been a part of in 50 cruises.

People change, as do our lives, but there are other reasons for which we won't get into here. ;)

:D

David! I must add my 2 cents here on this thread or I wouldn't be me! :rolleyes: Thanks for all that you have given to CC and the Princess threads, and to me personally! I guess that in my mind and heart, when the 7 original cast members of The Love Boat gather on the stage to christen the Regal, I will feel and sense an 8th member whom I know will be there in spirit! Thanks David!! I'll keep an eye out for you! :)

If it were, only because it was the best two weeks I have ever spent on a cruise ship. The combination of friends, food, and a stunning ship surpassed anything I have been a part of in 50 cruises.

People change, as do our lives, but there are other reasons for which we won't get into here. ;)

Dave, if you are still reading these tributes to you, please let me add mine, I noticed you have been quiet lately and when I saw the comments on this thread, at first I could not believe it. But I respect whatever you chose to do.

You have been a shining star to all of us on Cruise Critic and an invaluable resource with your informative and amazing posts and threads. It will be less of a place here without you, and I do want to wish you the very best, and thank you again for just being who you are - probably the nicest person anyone of us have had the pleasure to interact with on the boards.

Ron

• 1 month later...

Greg and I have signed on for the Nov 30 cruise on the Regal and even though I remembered that you would not be cruising this year, i just KNEW you would be watching the Regal. Well, once again I will be spending time trying to catch up on all the info on your forum.

And, I agree...last year's cruise with you and the rest of the CC gang was unforgettable!

Mary Jane

At this point, Regal Princess will have the same dining rooms and casual eateries as Royal Princess. Here is a list of those venues:

Main Dining Rooms/Unique Experiences

Dining Rooms – Allegro (aft on Deck 6, accessible only by aft stairs or aft elevators, houses the dramatic Chef’s Table Lumiere); Symphony and Concerto (located just off of the atrium on Deck 6 and Deck 5 respectively; both feature the Wine Makers Table, tables surrounded by wine cellars). All have been designed with an elegant and stylish décor, featuring a unique use of light.

Chef’s Table Lumiere - Known for creating the first-ever chef’s table experience at sea, Princess is now setting a new standard for this popular experience with the Chef’s Table Lumiere, located in the Allegro Dining Room. Offering a spectacular dining experience that takes the chef’s table to a new level, passengers sit at a custom-made glass table and are magically surrounded by a curtain of light – providing a soft wall of privacy that envelopes them as they enjoy the chef’s specially prepared meal.

Cover charge: $115

Wine Maker’s Dinner – Diners in the Symphony and Concerto dining rooms can enjoy a unique dining experience in a private space inspired by a wine cellar. Surrounded by wine bottles, the circular area, which seats up to 12, offers a distinctive atmosphere for private functions and special celebrations. Wine cellar specialty menus developed in conjunction with noted winemakers have been designed to especially pair with matching wines.

Cover charge: $40

Specialty Dining

Crown Grill & Wheelhouse Bar

The Crown Grill premium seafood and chop house has been blended together with the popular Wheelhouse Bar for a complete evening of dining and entertainment in one location. These traditional spaces feature a new contemporary look that modernizes the rich club-like atmosphere of the Crown Grill and the nautical Wheelhouse Bar. With its signature theater-style open kitchen, the Crown Grill sets the stage for a menu of chops, seafood and premium Sterling Silver steaks. Meanwhile the Wheelhouse Bar offers a comfortable place to sip a drink and enjoy live piano entertainment. The location also features a free daily pub lunch.

Crown Grill cover charge: $25

Sabatini’s

Location: Deck 5 (Plaza Deck) forward of the atrium in the mini-piazza

Princess’ signature Tuscan-inspired specialty restaurant, Sabatini’s features a fresh menu of sophisticated Italian favorites with an a la carte experience. Sabatini’s is located adjacent to Vines wine bar, offering diners a convenient venue to enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail. With an elegant décor merging glass, marble, wood and mirror details, the centerpiece of the new space will be a grand wine display, offering an impressive selection of Italian varietals – including Chianti, Sangiovese, and Brunello di Montalcino. With a refined yet casual Italian ambiance, Sabatini’s offers attentive personal service and the feeling of having just stepped into a ristorante in the heart of Tuscany.

Cover charge: $25

Casual Dining

Alfredo’s

Serving up fresh, hand-tossed Neapolitan-style pizzas hot out of the oven, Alfredo’s pizzeria, already a passenger favorite on several vessels, will take Princess’ reputation for serving the best pizza at sea to a new level. The sit-down restaurant’s complimentary menu has been expanded to include a variety of Italian antipasti, soup and salads, a hearty calzone and pizza baguette, and delicious baked pastas in addition to desserts. With 121 seats, Alfredo’s is the largest such pizza restaurant at sea, and features an open kitchen where passengers can watch as chefs craft their pizza.

International Café

The popular International Café serves up some new savory and sweet items including cupcakes, pies, and muffins to go with the café’s array of pastries, panini sandwiches, fresh-baked cookies and specialty coffees and teas. In addition, a new variety of hot sandwiches with international flavors debuts, including Cuban sandwiches and Mexican tortas. Open 24 hours, the space also has an expanded seating area, making it the perfect area to grab a light meal, meet friends for coffee or enjoy a snack while watching the array of Piazza entertainers.

Vines

Vines wine and tapas bar serves a selection of exclusive new- and old-world vintage wines along with wine sampling, food pairing and unique events. In addition to the full wine and spirits bar, Vines serves up small plates to go with the wines, including Spanish tapas, Greek mezes, Venetian cicchetti, Latin American pinchos and Caribbean cutters. Vines is also be a convenient pre-dinner gathering place for Sabatini’s diners, and tempts with Sabatini’s Bites where passengers can sample small tastes of such dishes as Tuscan Brochettes, Beef Carpaccio and Lamb Chop Lollipops.

Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar

The Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar will indulge those who love treats from the sea. The bar offers an array of à la carte ocean treasures, including a flight of oyster shooters, fresh sushi and sashimi, ahi tuna poke, king crab cocktail, chili and lime crab margarita, a royal lobster dish, a chilled seafood sampler, and the world-renowned smoked Balik salmon, the salmon of the tsars.

(A la carte pricing)

Gelato

A gelateria and creperie, Gelato offers delicious Italian-style ice cream creations – including designer sundaes, creamy fruit smoothies, and frosty shakes, plus sweet crespelle (Italian crepes) and delightful homemade waffle ice cream cones. Passengers can have their favorite flavors in a delicious waffle cone or ice cream sandwich. The extensive menu includes 20 toppings and sauces, including house-made hot fudge. Specialty items such as alcoholic and non-alcoholic sundaes are also on the menu, as are sweet crespelle with a choice of either nutty banana or spiced Washington Apple filling. Or passengers can indulge in a classic banana split—or a pineapple split for an old favorite with a new twist.

Various menu pricing, can also use Cafe Selects coffee card

Tea Tower

Featuring a tea sommelier and a choice of 250 blends, tea lovers will revel in Royal Princess’ unique tea tower located in the ship’s central Piazza. Here passengers can enjoy pre-blended tea varieties or create their own custom flavors. The ship’s tea sommelier, an expert on tea blends, will host tea tasting events and a new Royal Afternoon Tea Experience, inspired by some of the most famous tea spots in London.

Pub Lunch

The complimentary pub lunch has become a big hit with passengers since it debuted in 2008. Available only on select sea days and serving a full traditional pub-style lunch, fish and chips, ploughman's lunch, and other offerings along with signature brews.

Princess Live! Café

Adjacent to the unique television studio, the café serves up barista-style coffee and tea selections, accompanied by daily changing quick-bite food selections. After 5 pm, the bar offers up a menu of aperitifs and digestifs.

Poolside Treats

Trident Grill

In addition to the hot dogs, hamburgers and chicken sandwiches passengers love at the Trident Grill, this poolside spot transforms into a traditional smokehouse-style barbecue each evening, serving up hearty plates of jumbo chicken wings, Route 66 beef chili, Texas-style barbecue brisket, Kansas City Sweet & Smoky Pork Spare Ribs, and North Carolina Pulled Pork.

Outrigger Bar

This top-deck bar celebrates throughout the day and includes a Margarita Bar starting a lunch time, accompanied by made-to-order burritos, crispy pork flautas, barbecued pork fajitas, fresh tortilla chips with guacamole and Mexican salsa to keep the fiesta going into the night. The drink menu includes 12 specialty margaritas, Sunsational Slushies, and a morning Bloody Mary bar.

Prego Pizzeria

A perennial Princess passenger favorite, Prego serves up freshly made Italian-style pizza by the slice, featuring classic flavors and a daily special.

Swirls

Passengers can enjoy a refreshing soft-serve cone complete with dipping sauces and sprinkles or splurge on other ice cream treats.

Horizon Court – Buffet and Bistro

Horizon Court Buffet

One of Princess’ most popular casual dining options, the Horizon Court buffet has been redefined with a completely new layout and doubled in size. New action stations provide additional dining options, including choices such as Asian cuisine, Mediterranean dishes, a pasta corner and salad-tossing stations. For early risers on the go, new “Grab & Go” options are available, while healthy breakfast options offer the fuel passengers need to make the most of a day at sea or ashore. Those who love to sleep in will even find a special “late, late risers” breakfast corner. At lunch, a variety of new live stations feature a regional flair, including a rotisserie, and Japanese Hibachi Grill.

Horizon Bistro

Dinner in the Horizon Court will offer an interactive experience with themed events and specialty dinners. On certain nights passengers may find a Brazilian churrascaria, Argentine gaucho theme, German Beer Fest, a European bistro or British pub. Actions stations found here include a hibachi grill, rotisseries and carving stations, a taqueria, and a sandwich bar.

Horizon Court - Specialty Dining

Two fun specialty dining choices are housed within the Horizon Court – a Crab Shack and Fondues.

Location: Lido Deck in Horizon Court, port side all the way aft

Crab Shack – Seafood lovers will have a full crab shack experience, complete with mallets, bibs and buckets. Diners can enjoy crawfish in a Bayou-style “Mud Bug” boil, spiced peel and eat shrimp, or a mixed steamer pot filled with snow crab, jumbo shrimp, clams, and mussels. Cover charge: $20

Fondues – A variety of cheese fondues highlight this special experience, including classic Swiss with white wine, German cheddar fondue with beer, and a French cheese fondue with champagne. Other Swiss, German or Austrian specialties round out the menu.

Cover charge: $20

Horizon Bistro Pastry Shop - Here passengers can indulge in fresh-baked goodies throughout the day, including croissants, pastries, hot desserts, freshly baked waffles and French toast at breakfast; classic and modern desserts at lunch and dinner; tea sandwiches, cookies, desserts and waffles at tea time; and special show pieces and flambés in the evening. This completely separate space features its own unique design, décor, function and seating area, plus a dedicated specialty coffee section. Passengers even get to see Princess’ pastry chefs in action as they demonstrate their skills in chocolate work and cake decorating.

Horizon Court for Kids - The Horizon Court has a special area just for kids, where they can feel comfortable with seating that is suited to them in size and décor. Here kids can eat, play, and sit in their dedicated section with the rest of their family still nearby. The space will also be used by the Youth Center for activities such as pizza parties and ice cream socials.

Libations

SeaView Bar

Opposite the ship’s signature SeaWalk, the SeaView bar also extends over the waves for dramatic views. This beach-style bar serves up tropical cocktails while bartenders dazzle the crowds with daily flair bartending shows. At midday and sunset, talented bartenders will show off their impressive bottle-tossing and mixing skills.

Bellini’s

This Italian-inspired cocktail venue is a perfect place to enjoy the lively atmosphere of the Atrium’s activities, while indulging in Bellini-inspired cocktails. Based on the famous drink from Harry’s Bar in Venice that mixes prosecco with white peach puree, Bellini’s serves a variety of refreshing sparkling wine cocktails. Passengers will also enjoy views of the Piazza below in this “floating” space.

Crooners

Princess’ famed 1960s-style martini bar offers a menu of more than 75 unique martinis, shaken tableside. Gourmet olives, specialty drinks and live piano entertainment add to the “Rat Pack” era feel.

Club 6

While passengers dance the night away in the ship’s ultra-lounge nightclub, they can also choose from an illuminated menu of fun specialty cocktails and premium spirits. Wine and champagne orders light up the club with glowing buckets, and a trolley offers tableside service of shooter cocktails.

Whiskey Flights at Wheelhouse Bar

Inspired by the growing popularity of whiskey, the line’s signature Wheelhouse Bar features a menu of three different whiskey flights – each featuring three whiskeys. Passengers can choose from single malts, three “Glens,” and other iconic whiskey options, each featuring tasting notes.

Largest Collection of Super Tuscan Wines at Sea

More than 20 choices of these headline-making wines from Tuscany are available in Sabatini’s. Ranging from recognizable Super Tuscans such as Masseto, Solaia or Tignanello to some lesser known vintages such as Castello del Terricio 'Cappuanino' or Il Bruciato Bolgheri, these wines will be featured by the bottle and in a new Sabatini’s Super Tuscan Wine Tasting event, where passengers can enjoy the rare opportunity to sample the wines accompanied by delicious small plates from the Italian restaurant. Participation will include five wines at a cost of $40 per person.

(Courtesy Princess Cruises)

So, as mentioned yesterday, I just found your wnderful Regal forum. I am so sorry to read that you may not be cruising again,,,at least for awhile. Anyway, I hope you won't mind if I steal some of you info and post it on my Roll Call, with full acknowledgement, of course! Mary Jane

Edited by jangor

hi bob!

No, there won't be a 'three-peat' thread for the newest princess due out in 2017. I've officially retired from cruising, and am trying (albeit without much success ;)) to keep a low profile here. By time the keel is laid for the newest addition to the fleet i'll only be a distant memory on this forum.

hi dave:

Firstly, you will never be retired from the memory of those hundreds or thousands of friends and followers you made from our 2013 royal cruise. Whenever we open this cc blog, we always think of you.

We raise our glass high to you at sail away,whether in november or december at the outrigger.

Bless you and keep safe for many years to come..

• 1 month later...

Did anyone else get a survey from Princess asking about possible future dining options? They asked about TV Chefs and other award-winning chefs whose food you might like to see featured, as well as questions about famous sommaliers. They also asked what food/wine magazines/shows with which you may be familiar. Sounds like laying ground for more fee restaurants

BTW to Dave: Wish you were sailing with us. You made last year's trip so special, but hopefully, you already know that!

Dave, if you are still reading these tributes to you, please let me add mine, I noticed you have been quiet lately and when I saw the comments on this thread, at first I could not believe it. But I respect whatever you chose to do.

You have been a shining star to all of us on Cruise Critic and an invaluable resource with your informative and amazing posts and threads. It will be less of a place here without you, and I do want to wish you the very best, and thank you again for just being who you are - probably the nicest person anyone of us have had the pleasure to interact with on the boards.

Ron

Dave-what Ron said.

Norris

Dave-what Ron said.

Norris

THANK YOU to Ron, Norris, Mary Jane, Sheila and Marty, Larry, Carole, Julie, Susan, Benny, and everyone!!! Your kind words are always very much appreciated.

And I'm surprised this threading still alive! lol ;) Maybe when the third ship gets closer to her launching we'll do another one like this, and hopefully get the chance to sail with one another. That would be very cool.

THANK YOU to Ron, Norris, Mary Jane, Sheila and Marty, Larry, Carole, Julie, Susan, Benny, and everyone!!! Your kind words are always very much appreciated.

And I'm surprised this threading still alive! lol ;) Maybe when the third ship gets closer to her launching we'll do another one like this, and hopefully get the chance to sail with one another. That would be very cool.

Dave;

As long as you were an integral part.....:):):)

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Dave,

So nice to see your post! Your record-setting thread :p on the Royal brought us great pleasure and heightened our excitement for our Grand Med + Inaugual TA cruises! Hope all is well, and a belated Happy Thanksgiving from your friends in Canada to you and all who post on this thread!

denise

Hi Dave,

This is Lynne. Guess what! We have booked the Regal Princess for January 2016. We're going for a group function this time, but having been on the Royal last year, it will be kind of like a homecoming with the new sister!! :)

Now, I'm going to go back and read this thread and enjoy the thrill of learning all about the Regal. I'm so glad you are still around helping us navigate this ship now.

Take care, and bundle up in your area!!! It does seem too early to have to be completely wrapped up in warm clothes and outerwear so early in the season.

Bye for now. Lynne

Hi Lynne,

I'm still aiming for Regal's new sister in 2017. Lots still on my plate, including moving to a new apartment this coming weekend.

Speaking of the new ship, I wonder what name she'll take? Since one of the little ships is going away, I presume the next Royal-class will be called Ocean Princess?

Hi Lynne,

I'm still aiming for Regal's new sister in 2017. Lots still on my plate, including moving to a new apartment this coming weekend.

Speaking of the new ship, I wonder what name she'll take? Since one of the little ships is going away, I presume the next Royal-class will be called Ocean Princess?

Dave;

Hope your moving goes well. It will be interesting to ponder over what subtle or not so subtle changes will be made on the new build. What would you like to see on the new ship.....:):):)

Bob

Bob

Dave;

Hope your moving goes well. It will be interesting to ponder over what subtle or not so subtle changes will be made on the new build. What would you like to see on the new ship.....:):):)

Bob

Bob

Hi Bob,

We all cruise for different reasons - have different needs and expectations - and for me this class of ship, the Royal-class, pretty much fit the bill in all aspects. And I think it's safe to say that not much at all will change from the Regal Princess to the next new-build, since the design is sort of 'carved in stone' to where large-scale major structural changes are out of the question.

However, to shake things up a bit, and these are things that aren't necessarily changes that would benefit me personally as a cruiser...

Honestly, I'd like to see the lido pool deck become more like what's on Britannia. Other things I'd like to see go away - but it will never actually happen - are The Sanctuary, in favor of a large, forward-facing observation lounge, bar, and dance floor for the ballroom dancers; as well as remove MUTS once and for all, but since it's a Princess Cruises signature trademark there's no chance of that. And another thing - maybe move the cabanas in the Retreat to the outer edge of the deck, put them side-by-side and make them solid structures that are more wind-resistant, and have multiple rows of loungers closer to the actual pool itself.

For bigger changes, and for the 'proper' promenade deck lovers: I'd like to see them side-mount the lifeboats alongside the hull of the ship like on Norwegian Breakaway. I don't think we'll see the 'protected' Grand-class promenade decks for quite some time, unless they come out with a completely new design after the Royal-class. But an outdoor cafe/promenade would be better for them than what's on there now.

Finally, open up the center stairwell for passenger use. I'd still never use it, just like I didn't use the one on Ruby Princess when I was in her. But it would ease whatever elevator congestion is there, either imagined or real, which actually never really affected me during my two-weeks aboard Royal Princess.

Dave - so great to see you posting again - have really missed you.

Hope the move goes smoothly for you and Gray Kitty. Kay (S'villeGals)

Hi Lynne,

Dave - so great to see you posting again - have really missed you.

Hope the move goes smoothly for you and Gray Kitty. Kay (S'villeGals)

Hi Kay,

I live about as sparsely as you can imagine, so the entire move out of the apartment should easily take less than 30 minutes without any pre-boxing, and I'll be settled into the new place by that afternoon. Just have to wait on the cable guy to come by an re-connect my internet! ;)

Hello,

We just put new carpet into two bedrooms and it felt like we were moving! LOL. Everything had to be dismantled in order to move the furniture, like books from bookcases, items off the desks, drawers emptied. It took way longer than 30 minutes. We did have the house on the market for 6 months with no bites and it's funny how things are starting to appear in "de-cluttered" spots.

I did hear that the Ocean Princess was going elsewhere, so maybe the new sister will take her name. But, if that happens then the new ships might be water or fish themed. :D

I'm happy to see that we have our Royal companions posting here again. it's like a reunion. I'm sorry I'm late to the party.

Stay warm up north. We're back into the high 70's now after a chilly few days. I'm lovin' it!

Bye for now. Lynne

Hi Bob,

We all cruise for different reasons - have different needs and expectations - and for me this class of ship, the Royal-class, pretty much fit the bill in all aspects. And I think it's safe to say that not much at all will change from the Regal Princess to the next new-build, since the design is sort of 'carved in stone' to where large-scale major structural changes are out of the question.

However, to shake things up a bit, and these are things that aren't necessarily changes that would benefit me personally as a cruiser...

Honestly, I'd like to see the lido pool deck become more like what's on Britannia. Other things I'd like to see go away - but it will never actually happen - are The Sanctuary, in favor of a large, forward-facing observation lounge, bar, and dance floor for the ballroom dancers; as well as remove MUTS once and for all, but since it's a Princess Cruises signature trademark there's no chance of that. And another thing - maybe move the cabanas in the Retreat to the outer edge of the deck, put them side-by-side and make them solid structures that are more wind-resistant, and have multiple rows of loungers closer to the actual pool itself.

For bigger changes, and for the 'proper' promenade deck lovers: I'd like to see them side-mount the lifeboats alongside the hull of the ship like on Norwegian Breakaway. I don't think we'll see the 'protected' Grand-class promenade decks for quite some time, unless they come out with a completely new design after the Royal-class. But an outdoor cafe/promenade would be better for them than what's on there now.

Finally, open up the center stairwell for passenger use. I'd still never use it, just like I didn't use the one on Ruby Princess when I was in her. But it would ease whatever elevator congestion is there, either imagined or real, which actually never really affected me during my two-weeks aboard Royal Princess.

Dave;

I like the way you think.....:):):)

Bob

I did hear that the Ocean Princess was going elsewhere, so maybe the new sister will take her name. But, if that happens then the new ships might be water or fish themed. :D

Hi Lynne,

There's also an outside chance, and I'm not a wiz at how fleet deployments are determined, that Princess Cruises could always retire Grand Princess in 2017 to P&O Australia, to which she would then be re-named, freeing up the that name for the new Royal-class ship.

Hi Lynne,

There's also an outside chance, and I'm not a wiz at how fleet deployments are determined, that Princess Cruises could always retire Grand Princess in 2017 to P&O Australia, to which she would then be re-named, freeing up the that name for the new Royal-class ship.

The Ocean has already sold and the Pacific is also reportedly for sale. Quite possibly will use one of their names.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Hi Dave:

Just a few days before the start of our cruise. Of course, we will miss you!!

Wishing you the very best on your new move...Marie Calender's pot pies will hold you over. Still our favorite also.

Good luck and God speed.

The Kids Sheila and Marty

Hi Dave:

Just a few days before the start of our cruise. Of course, we will miss you!!

Wishing you the very best on your new move...Marie Calender's pot pies will hold you over. Still our favorite also.

Good luck and God speed.

The Kids Sheila and Marty

Hi Sheila and Marty,

Don't forget this time to take pictures! ;) Have a GREAT cruise and please come back with a trip report and review so that we can hear about all of your adventures. And Marie doesn't hold a candle to the goodies of the International Cafe and Horizon Court. Man, I'm going to miss all the fun and food, but at least I won't gain as much weight like I did on that B2B! :eek: ;)

Hi,

We eat the Marie Callender pot pies and regular pies. :eke: I can relate to the weight thing. But, they sure are good. However, the International Cafe fare is so good.

Dave, I wouldn't mind if the Grand were retired. We heard about her build on the Sun Princess in 1998, but sailed on the Golden, first. The Grand didn't impress me, and I don't know why. It was older by then, but maybe it was the clientele and it seemed dirty. It's my least favorite of all that class. We've come far from the Sun to the Regal, as of Jan. 2016.

Yes, pictures from all of you who are sailing on the Regal this year. That would be awesome. :)

Goodnight for now. Lynne