Waterproof Cameras?

CruiseGal97

I have been researching and have found these 3 waterproof cameras : Olympus TG2, Nikon AW110, and the Panasonic Lumix TS5. Does anyone have one of these?

If not does anyone have a great waterproof camera they recommend? I cruise on June 1st and want a camera to bring with me to the beach, and when we go to the Grand Cayman Turtle Farm, we also are going to swim with the Manatees and go Zip lining! I would like to find a camera that will do great in all of these situations plus I would like to be able to use it when I am not on vacation. Thanks to everyone in advance and I look over to your answers!:)

I have been researching and have found these 3 waterproof cameras : Olympus TG2, Nikon AW110, and the Panasonic Lumix TS5. Does anyone have one of these?

I have the Nikon AW100 and will probably upgrade to the AW120 before I go snorkeling on our Christmas cruise. There was an earlier discussion on the camera but I seemed to be the only one who had used it underwater. I can tell you that it does work at the Turtle Farm, as we went there right after I got it :)

Here's a sample from Grand Cayman.

ImageUploadedByForums1392955437.209010.jpg.372ca1d168ea47da4a327db89181e887.jpg

I have the Canon D10 and don't recommend it. The pix have been fine but I've had issues (lens error and currently a battery problem).

And so to make sure I have good snorkeling pix this trip, I bought a Fuji XP60 at Sam's Club for +/- $120. It's not the best, or the latest and greatest, but it should do the job nicely. I'll post some pix after I return.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I agree on the GoPro but also research the underwater case as well as the salt water Red filter and fresh water blue/green filter. I have some great video if schools if fish when I snorkeled the Carribean. If you go for the other cameras see if they have color filters for the camera, it can make a difference. Good luck with your choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I currently have the Olympus TG-830. I have a ton of pictures with it in my Nov. 2013 St. Thomas album:

Here's one randomly, but you can easily get to the whole album:

https://suessharedalbums.shutterfly.com/10262

And from my 2014 Kauai trip:

Another random underwater picture to start with:

https://suessharedalbums.shutterfly.com/9692

I have applied some photoshop to my photos. I've also used and drowned several other underwater cameras including the Canon D10 and D20. Supposedly you're not suppose to stay in the water over an hour at a time, but that's way too short for us. Don't know if that's why they fail, but I figure if I get 2 or 3 years out of them that's pretty good. I do travel a lot and love to snorkel. I've liked all the cameras. I really don't notice much difference in quality.

Awesome photos! I have this on my Amazon.com wish list:

Olympus Stylus TG-2 iHS Digital Camera with 4x Optical Zoom and 3-Inch LCD (Black)

I know they sell cameras on board Explorer of the Seas but not sure if they have this one or can compete on price

Former Balwin, Mo guy here!

Edited by FireStation46

I currently have the Olympus TG-830. I have a ton of pictures with it in my Nov. 2013 St. Thomas album:

Here's one randomly, but you can easily get to the whole album:

https://suessharedalbums.shutterfly.com/10262

And from my 2014 Kauai trip:

Another random underwater picture to start with:

https://suessharedalbums.shutterfly.com/9692

I have applied some photoshop to my photos. I've also used and drowned several other underwater cameras including the Canon D10 and D20. Supposedly you're not suppose to stay in the water over an hour at a time, but that's way too short for us. Don't know if that's why they fail, but I figure if I get 2 or 3 years out of them that's pretty good. I do travel a lot and love to snorkel. I've liked all the cameras. I really don't notice much difference in quality.

I have had great luck with my Cannon D10. I have used it for way more than 1 hour at a time and never had a leak. I have had that lens error a time or two but no big deal. I just turn the camera off and tap on my thigh a few times, turn it back on and it works. Actually I have not had to do that in a long time. Now I did just buy a Nikon AW110 to try but only because the price was just too good to pass up. I doubt seriously it will be that much better for what I do. I do not use it for video, primarily beach and snorkel only. I wanted to buy a D20 but the price was just too good on the Nikon. Over the years I have had 2 Pentax models and I will never buy another, the Cannon has outlived them both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had an older waterproof tough Olympus camera and we upgraded to the newest version this year at Christmas. We love this camera for outdoor/underwater shots. It takes "ok" photos indoors, but it's stellar in the sunshine and underwater. It's breakproof, or seems to be. My kids can take pictures with it, and we don't worry about anything.

My only complaint is that the newest version doesn't have a lens cover, whereas the old one did. So far it doesn't seem a problem, but I wonder about long-term and protecting it from scratches.

Edited by Quixotic

Pentax?Ricoh makes a nice shockproof/underwater camera.. the WG-3, along with the wg-2 & wg-1 plus they are getting ready to release the WG-4. The 3 comes in both non gps & gps versions. GPS priced around $220 USD, places vary. Check places like B&H, Adorama, Tigerdirect, & others, I websearched Pentax Optio WG-3.

I actually got mine viaa greentoe.com for a bid of $220, Adorama who I've dealt with before picked up my bid, priced it to $219 & I should be getting in a couple weeks $20 back for signing up for Greentoes newsletter. Adorama had it to me in about 3 days but then again I'm not that far from NYC, about 7 hrs drive 8)

And mine is the purple gps version, which tends to run more than the green gps version.

Black, white & orange are the non gps version which can run under $200.

And, other than watertesting it I havent had it long enough to test, yet. 8)

As with any underwater camera you will have to watch for leaking. My dad has a sealife dslr, I have a sealife film, both go into separate cases & I still had a slight leaking issue due to a pinched seal but caught it in time.

Good luck, have fun.

GoPro is good if you want video and some stills. Get the flat-port housing if you want minimal distortion underwater. If you are more interested in stills and less in video, then I would go with one of the numerous waterproof compacts. The Oly TG models are good. Pentax WG10 is good (a bit more cost than their WG3 which I have, but worth it). No direct experience with others but any of them are capable of taking decent pics when there's good light.

It also matters what your goal is. Diving, you need to have a real housing and generally some additional lighting. Snorkeling, surf play etc, you can go with a compact and no housing, with the tradeoff being how well it handles low light conditions. So night times don't expect quite as much :-)

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Forums

GoPro is good if you want video and some stills. Get the flat-port housing if you want minimal distortion underwater. If you are more interested in stills and less in video, then I would go with one of the numerous waterproof compacts. The Oly TG models are good. Pentax WG10 is good (a bit more cost than their WG3 which I have, but worth it). No direct experience with others but any of them are capable of taking decent pics when there's good light.

It also matters what your goal is. Diving, you need to have a real housing and generally some additional lighting. Snorkeling, surf play etc, you can go with a compact and no housing, with the tradeoff being how well it handles low light conditions. So night times don't expect quite as much :-)

Jim

I agree Jim, it all depends on what they want to use it for.. stills or video. I'm of the mindset that when I want to take pictures I use a camera, when I want to do video I use a camcorder or video camera. ;)

Personally I will not own another Nikon, as my coolpix was not heavily used or exposed to elements, but thats me, I know camera club members who love Nikon & hate Pentax.

And never seen the Lumix so cant/wont comment on them. 8P

Based on the info given by the OP they want a snorkeling camera that can take abuse on a zipline & be exposed to sand from a beach. In addition they want it to be usable in non cruise time too. ;)

Based on that I personally would recommend the Pentax, either the WG-3 or as you said the WG-10. I liked the 10 but had a limited cash flow for mine, plus if it broke down or was lost/stolen I would not be out more than $200 compared to say 500 or more.

I own a old Nikon Coolpix P3 that is starting to give up the ghost after, gods, 7 years now? Maybe more, cant remember for sure when I got it. But it is not a rugged camera, thats for sure, its just a simple Point & shoot my mom can operate.

Edited by FedoraDi
addded

Cruise, its gonna come down to how much you want to spend, & how much you would be concerned if it was lost or stolen, with consideration for the picture quality. In the end, any shot underwater can look like garbage, specially if you go to deeper depths without filters. Those shots you see in some of the diving mags are extremely "rigged", as in photoshop, adjusted, fully enclosed digital slrs (DSLR) high end systems hooked up with lights & filters.

I did take some very nice shots with my old sealife film camera & some Kodak disposible film underwater cameras, both at 60 ft diving in hawaii & snorkeling in hawaii. I also took some garbage shots, filled with silt because I or another stirred it up.

I would suggest that if you have a decent camera shop nearby, try to go in & talk to them. Or a dive shop. If not look up various reviews on all the cameras mentioned, look at price points & try to decide. Any camera can be great in the hands of a capable photographer, just dont wait to the last second so you are playing & learning it while on your cruise. Or do, its your choice. :D

Good luck to ya, post some pics ya take when ya come back so I can see them & drool ;)