Cabin cleanliness after delayed arrival to port...

vanchelle

Now why in the world should a passenger give a room steward a break? They are paid to do a job. That job needs to be done, regardless of the circumstance. In this case the job was not completed. The Steward "failed" at his job. It is their fault. Workers need not make excuses for a poor performance. The passenger has every right to expect the performance they paid for. A refund is due. Carnival will deal with the steward in any way they feel fit to. Which of course is not a passengers business to be concerned with the employment or performance policies of the business.

This post has left me speechless.

Originally Posted by sandij viewpost.gif

Give the room stewards a break, just because you paid some money extra doesn't mean they have the extra time to accomodate you.

Yes it does mean they have to accomodate you. If you paid $50 extra to go directly to your cabin and get your luggage and none of it was given to you, then I would be first in line to ask for a refund. Carnival is cutting a fat hog in the butt with this FTTF business and have slacked off in delivering the goods. Arriving to a dirty cabin means to me that the cabin was not ready to be occupied.

OP - get your money back.

Edited by elliair

Now why in the world should a passenger give a room steward a break? They are paid to do a job. That job needs to be done, regardless of the circumstance. In this case the job was not completed. The Steward "failed" at his job. It is their fault. Workers need not make excuses for a poor performance. The passenger has every right to expect the performance they paid for. A refund is due. Carnival will deal with the steward in any way they feel fit to. Which of course is not a passengers business to be concerned with the employment or performance policies of the business.

When we docked late on the Star Princess, we had to be vacated of our rooms by 8:00am so the staterooms would be ready immediately for the next guests. Rooms being ready upon boarding is an expectation on Princess. Carnival could have been successful with living up to their end of the contracted services involving Faster to the Fun and cabins belonging to statused guests, but they really missed the ball.

In the end, a passenger should not be worried with how Carnival Cruise Lines handles their employees backstage. For all we know, their leadership would be understanding of the stateroom steward's situation. You did not receive the services you paid for and a credit should be issued. In cases like this, most companies would refund the full amount and allow you to continue using the rest of these services (tendering, disembarkation, and guest services line) as an act of goodwill/compensation.

Edited by Disconnections

Unfortunately, due to circumstances, the cabin steward was not set up to succeed in this situation. I won't claim this is entirely the cabin stewards fault or within their control (I am not prepared to nail them to the cross), but the end result is not getting some of the key benefits of what you had paid for. I don't think there is anything wrong with asking for a refund based on those facts. Nor do I think anyone here was advising the OP to go to Guest Services in a rage either. Explaining the facts of the matter and asking nicely for the resolution you want can be quiet, calm, and quick.

I'm not on Legend, but good grief people. The ship is late, the people getting off are late, people are anxious to get on and to their cabins, yet forget the cleaning time has been slashed. If boarding was held back to allow crews to properly clean, then people would complain about that too:eek: As for beds not placed properly, that's not a big deal.

OP posted at 3:37pm saying they just got on so that would lead me to believe that boarding was held back.

Read another post from someone who just got off the Legend at 1pm. Surely they didn't let the pax sit in the cabins until 1pm.

Bill

We've had bad luck with fog twice in Tampa, boarded late and not had an issue. We were delayed coming back this year, and although we could stay in our cabins later than 8, I believe we had to be out by 11. We docked at 2, so I doubt the new cruisers embarked before 5, so I think the staff had their normal amount of time. Maybe in this case the previous occupants stayed in the cabin longer than they should have, but I would at least speak to Guest Services and find out, no need to scream and rant, but if you've paid for your cabin to be ready early, it should be or some accommodation should be made.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We cruised the week before you...first ones on after drydock. The ship was not ready when it salied into Tampa. We did not get to board until 3:30. Once on the ship, we learned that Bonsai Sushi and the new GReen Thunder waterslide would not open until late into our cruise, if at all. THe slide never officially opened and the Bonsai Sushi opned the last day of the cruise for lunch and dinner. THe ship overall was filthy and the group was amazed at how many areas were not up to Carnival's normal standards. The crew felt that the ship should have had another week in drydock and so did we.

Really? :rolleyes:

I'm not on Legend, but good grief people. The ship is late, the people getting off are late, people are anxious to get on and to their cabins, yet forget the cleaning time has been slashed. If boarding was held back to allow crews to properly clean, then people would complain about that too:eek: As for beds not placed properly, that's not a big deal.

Why has cleaning time been slashed? Were passengers allowed to stay in their rooms?

I came off right before you got on, and agree with the person who said our entire cruise was a mess. And yes, they allowed us to stay in our staterooms until we got off of the ship, which would explain why your room was dirty. They originally said that we needed to be out by 9AM, but the cruise director came on the loud speak at 8:52AM and announced that we could relax in our rooms until we got off.

My 5th Carnival cruise and I was highly disappointed. I'll be trying another line next time.

I came off right before you got on, and agree with the person who said our entire cruise was a mess. And yes, they allowed us to stay in our staterooms until we got off of the ship, which would explain why your room was dirty. They originally said that we needed to be out by 9AM, but the cruise director came on the loud speak at 8:52AM and announced that we could relax in our rooms until we got off.

My 5th Carnival cruise and I was highly disappointed. I'll be trying another line next time.

That is just ridiculous that they would do that knowing how hard it would be for the stewards to turn the rooms over and knowing that they wouldn't have time to get all of the priority cabins ready by the time the next group boarded. Even more reason to ask for your money back for FTTF.

It doesn't matter why it wasn't done, no one is arguing the fact that this isn't a normal circumstance but that doesn't change the fact that a service was paid for that wasn't received and a refund of the amount should be made.

They obviously didn't get early priority boarding, room wasn't clean and no priority luggage delivery which are what you are paying for with FTTF. I wouldn't accept that I gave them $50 and received nothing for it. Maybe you are good with just donating money to a big corporation but I am not.

I agree.

They did not provide the service that you paid extra for, so you should get money back or something else to compensate for your disappointment.

You were apparently disappointed enough to post about it.

I agree.

They did not provide the service that you paid extra for, so you should get money back or something else to compensate for your disappointment.

You were apparently disappointed enough to post about it.

I don't really understand this comment in relation to my post, were you referring to the OP?

Edited by Mysticks1

Cabin stewards cannot defy the laws of time and physics, if they have 30 mins and 21 cabins it will be impossible.

Being harsh and saying it is their job is uncalled for and downright mean in this occasion havingfun2010, they are only human and work damn hard. If anyone is at fault then it is mother nature (fog) or management.

If you bought fttf then by all means get a refund and it is your right but don't blame the cabin stewards and expect the little sticker to be peeled off so you don't get priority tenders.

Edited by Velvetwater

Cabin stewards cannot defy the laws of time and physics, if they have 30 mins and 21 cabins it will be impossible.

Being harsh and saying it is their job is uncalled for and downright mean in this occasion havingfun2010, they are only human and work damn hard. If anyone is at fault then it is mother nature (fog) or management.

If you bought fttf then by all means get a refund and it is your right but don't blame the cabin stewards and expect the little sticker to be peeled off so you don't get priority tenders.

Where did u come up with the 30 minutes at?

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

I was randomising an example...it is clear the stewards did not have enough time whether it was 30 mins, 47 mins or 90.

I'm still not sure how you can say it's clear they didn't have enough time.

Do we know what time they made people leave their staterooms?

OP said she didn't board til 3:30pm. Other post from somebody who got off the cruise while OP was getting on said she got off at 1pm.

That is still 2 1/2 hours to get the room ready IF they stayed in the cabins til they disembarked.

On a regular cruise you have to Be out of your room by 830 and boarding starts at about 11 or 11:30 AM.

If you are Fttf you go right to your cabin and they are supposed to be ready.

Could have been just a lazy steward if the room was still dusty after somebody occupied it the week before.

Bill

I'm curious. How would you feel if this didn't involve cruising or CCL or room stewards? If this whole situation were about some other service industry. If you paid a premium for a service and the business failed to provide the service, would you (the collective you) still feel the same? Would you care where the failure originated? Or how the company handled it's internal employee relations?

For example I think most can relate to. You send a package overnight and delivery time is promised by noon. The package does not arrive until 5pm. Do you shrug it off? After all it did get there the next day. Or do you ask for a refund because you paid to have it there by noon and it didn't get there till 5? Would you care why it didn't get there on time? Or if an employee was or was not disciplined as a result?