Paying for UG at Pier???

SUSIEK

We will be sailing in two weeks aboard the Reflection. Currently in a 2A, verandah.

JUST decided we would like to pay the difference and go for a Sky Suite (yes, very last minute). After speaking with our TA, if we change now we would forfeit our amenties and the price difference is much higher than what we compared on the Celebrity website due to the promotion we received. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH...

Our TA and the Celebrity rep I spoke to suggested we inquire at check-in. Has anyone had any luck in doing this?

We will be sailing in two weeks aboard the Reflection. Currently in a 2A, verandah.

JUST decided we would like to pay the difference and go for a Sky Suite (yes, very last minute). After speaking with our TA, if we change now we would forfeit our amenties and the price difference is much higher than what we compared on the Celebrity website due to the promotion we received. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH...

Our TA and the Celebrity rep I spoke to suggested we inquire at check-in. Has anyone had any luck in doing this?

My understanding is that the days up upgrading at the pier are LONG gone. Even if you did upgrade at the pier they may still stick to corporate policy and you lose the amenities and they will definitely charge you the current price. I know on my two cruises there were signs up both times stating NO UPGRADES AVAILABLE.

Did I miss something? Are you OK with paying the difference? If so, why would your TA not be able to get this taken care of while the 123 pro-mo is still on going, and why would their price be so much higher than the X web site? Something is not adding up, in my limited thinking process at least!:D

If the ship is not sold out there might be upgrade opportunities. From what I've seen they won't handle this at the pier check in but will either say there are no changes available or will tell you to check at the Customer Relations desk after boarding. We used to check regularly years ago after reading of some great deals but we've never found an upgrade opportunity that wasn't very expensive. Still - if you are willing to pay the price then it couldn't hurt to ask both at pier and customer relations.

Thank you for all the responses.

We booked through a large online TA due to a promotion they were offering with free prepaid grats and an onboard credit.

Apparently we were put in a special promotional rate? According the TA in order to move to the higher category this close to sailing we would lose this and have to pay the MUCH higher rate that is $1500 more than what we have already paid.

Funny thing is I don't see this higher rate anywhere on any site? From what I see the price difference between the cabin we have now and the suite we would like is $700, which we would pay.

Apparently they don't need my $$$ ...LOL.

I got so frustrated with them not explaining the reason that I just gave up. I called Celebrity but there was nothing they could do.

So we stay in our 2a which I am sure is lovely. I will spend that $700 on a future cruise which I will NOT book with that TA!!!! Lesson learned.

They were also very snooty.....Hate that!!

SusieK,

The rates you are seeing now may have no relationship to the TA's special rate you booked. With the cruse so close you are seeing the last minute rates which can be lower or even higher. It's hard to compare apples to oranges but I think that's partially your dilemma.

You are within the penalty phase and terms and conditions change after final payment. It would not be unheard of to lose your OBC's and promos that are not gifted by the TA.

Don't bother to inquire at check in and do what Larry Simon suggested. When you board go to Customer Relations. They will more than likely tell you that either cabins are not available or to come back after sail away if there's a chance of availability. Pretend you don't see the sign that says the ship is full. You can always ask if there is a wait list. Do inquire about the status of your OBC's and promos before you change your cabin if you are lucky enough to have the opportunity.

... in order to move to the higher category this close to sailing we would lose this and have to pay the MUCH higher rate that is $1500 more than what we have already paid.

Funny thing is I don't see this higher rate anywhere on any site? From what I see the price difference between the cabin we have now and the suite we would like is $700, which we would pay. ...

This is not a problem with your TA. It is standard operating procedure for all TA and direct bookings. Upgrade, or downgrade, cost is never based on the current price difference between your category and the one you wish to move to. Instead it is priced pretty much as a new booking and your cash price will be the cost of the cabin category you want to move to less the actual cash you've already paid. In most cases any perks, such as 123go, are also based on current offers although I've seen some exceptions reported on these based on particular circumstances.

I have no idea of the cost of upgrades on board, if available, is similarly priced or if it a set fee based without regard to the cost of your current booking.

Edited by Lsimon

This is not a problem with your TA. It is standard operating procedure for all TA and direct bookings. Upgrade, or downgrade, cost is never based on the current price difference between your category and the one you wish to move to. Instead it is priced pretty much as a new booking and your cash price will be the cost of the cabin category you want to move to less the actual cash you've already paid. In most cases any perks, such as 123go, are also based on current offers although I've seen some exceptions reported on these based on particular circumstances.

I have no idea of the cost of upgrades on board, if available, is similarly priced or if it a set fee based without regard to the cost of your current booking.

My problem with my TA was her LACK of explanation. She simply gave me an answer without explaining why.

They probably had a "group rate" and put you in that "group". That's usually how TA's can give you a better price than looking online at the prices. They probably don't have the suite in their group and therefore would have to take you out of the group and book at the going rate. Hope that makes sense. I would ask at Guest Relations though. It never hurts to try.

Well.... my 8 year old son pretty much summed it up at the dinner table last night.

"Mom, we aren't in our cabin that much, why spend the extra money on wasted space!"

Love that kid :-)

My 7 year old said the same thing when I asked him about an upgrade for our cruise next month; he said we'd be better off saving our money. Made me proud especially since we're in an inside cabin this time around because of the port intensive itinerary and just came off a cruise where we had a balcony cabin.