Setsail Pass

I was wondering whether I should use cash or CC. I realize its easierto use a CC, but my question is, do they hold a certain amount on your card and lock funds down or do they take what you spend on a nightly basis. I just fear them lockin down a boatload of my money for the entire cruise.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I was wondering whether I should use cash or CC. I realize its easierto use a CC, but my question is, do they hold a certain amount on your card and lock funds down or do they take what you spend on a nightly basis. I just fear them lockin down a boatload of my money for the entire cruise.

You can specify a cash account on your online check-in. Royal will let you charge up to $500 before they ask you to pay down the charges. You can use your CC to pay at the end, or during the middle of the cruise if necessary.

I would be using a debit card for the purchases.

The debit card would work fine. Just set up a cash account and use the debit card to pay it off. That way there won't be any holds placed against the debit card.

This is mostly my opinion. Others have accurately stated the mechanics of using a debit account on board, so not disputing any of that information, these are just some considerations for why not to use debit while traveling.

Lots of debit card / travel / cruise nightmares regarding locked accounts, accounts with large amounts held for weeks after a cruise, and also fraudulent or inaccurate charges made. For those reasons I recommend to all a credit card.

It is not your money at stake with a credit card and you are not responsible for fraudulent charges. A credit card also gives you the flexible option of having a reserve to spend in case of emergency (if you can not self-fund on the spot) and also many cards will have some forms of travel insurance that may be useful depending on the situation. If your debit account becomes compromised you may not necessarily have any recourse.

Again, these are just my opinions, but when asked I always rank debit dead last**

**some debit cards have the option of being used as a credit card and will offer limited consumer protections. Check with your bank or card policy.

If you will be using a debit card, just set it up as a cash account...pay it off with the debit at the end....or, better yet, just bring the cash....it's in your account, since you're using the same account linked to the debit!!

Debit cards do incur holds....

If I do just use cash, if I have a left over balance remaining at the end of the trip will i get my cash back or will they mail me a check? Very confused. Lol

They will give you cash back. You have to settle a cash account on the last evening, so they will give you any refund then.

A quick email to RCI using the "contact" button will give you accurate info instead of speculation.

However FYI this is what I did. The reply is based on UK query to RCI.

No money is pre-authorised or locked down or what ever. The balance of your onboard account is taken on the penultimate night of the cruise.

For my convenince I have got a prepaid mastercard. I load it with GBP and it's converted to USD at business rates rather than retail rates. I believe, from others on CC, the rate that RCI converts USD to GPB is really quite bad.

Hope this helps.

I always deposit a few hundred Green Backs behind the Pursers Desk, keep all my receipts so keeping an eye on my cash, if we have a Big spend I just visit the desk and leave them a few more notes. On the eve of the last night I either have to add a bit or they give me a refund, either way all square.

I usually register my credit card with them but pay the bill in cash the last night - all last night purchases will then go on the card but I know that I am not going to get ripped up with a big bill at a bad rate of exchange

We use a credit card. Its so much easier with a Credit Card as on the last day everything automatically goes to the credit card and we can just walk off the ship.

There have been reports of people who have used a Debit Card and on the last day they were overdrawn and not allowed to debark and get the"Bong of Death" that tells them to go and wait in the long line at Guest Relations.

I'm serious the Bong of Death really exists. It has that shuddering sound. The lovely "Bong" that greets you when you board is a nice sound but the other "Bong" well let's not go there.

A quick email to RCI using the "contact" button will give you accurate info instead of speculation.

However FYI this is what I did. The reply is based on UK query to RCI.

No money is pre-authorised or locked down or what ever. The balance of your onboard account is taken on the penultimate night of the cruise.

For my convenince I have got a prepaid mastercard. I load it with GBP and it's converted to USD at business rates rather than retail rates. I believe, from others on CC, the rate that RCI converts USD to GPB is really quite bad.

Hope this helps.

Please quadruple check this, ged1967. Royal Caribbean may not accept pre-paid mastercard.

What is the service fee charge on ATMs on board? I may want to set up a cash account but don't want to carry around that much cash on the trip to port or in the safe.

I don't recall what the ATM service charge is, but I do know that it seems to be out of order quite a bit. I'd not depend solely on the ship's ATM.

This is mostly my opinion. Others have accurately stated the mechanics of using a debit account on board, so not disputing any of that information, these are just some considerations for why not to use debit while traveling.

Lots of debit card / travel / cruise nightmares regarding locked accounts, accounts with large amounts held for weeks after a cruise, and also fraudulent or inaccurate charges made. For those reasons I recommend to all a credit card.

It is not your money at stake with a credit card and you are not responsible for fraudulent charges. A credit card also gives you the flexible option of having a reserve to spend in case of emergency (if you can not self-fund on the spot) and also many cards will have some forms of travel insurance that may be useful depending on the situation. If your debit account becomes compromised you may not necessarily have any recourse.

Again, these are just my opinions, but when asked I always rank debit dead last**

**some debit cards have the option of being used as a credit card and will offer limited consumer protections. Check with your bank or card policy.

I agree. If someone has both, I can't think of one good reason to use a debit card in place of a credit card.