What are those funny silver floating things in the Caribbean?

Bailey & Sophie

We just got off the Equinox, Caribbean cruise. At the sea brunch we were fortunate to be seated by a window. While we were eating I saw several groups of silver globes floating on the surface of the water. They were in groups of 3, string in a length, and were probably quite large as we could see them off in the distance as well as very near the ship. We were heading FROM Costa Rica TO Belize. I had never noticed them before. There were probably about 8-10 groups of three that I saw, and then got distracted by my mimosa....

Does anyone know what these floats are for?

Thanks!

We just got off the Equinox, Caribbean cruise. At the sea brunch we were fortunate to be seated by a window. While we were eating I saw several groups of silver globes floating on the surface of the water. They were in groups of 3, string in a length, and were probably quite large as we could see them off in the distance as well as very near the ship. We were heading FROM Costa Rica TO Belize. I had never noticed them before. There were probably about 8-10 groups of three that I saw, and then got distracted by my mimosa....

Does anyone know what these floats are for?

Thanks!

Kind of sounds like "Portugese Man o' War" jelly fish. They have a "balloon" like structure that extends above the water line. This allows wind to move them along the sea surface. Used to see hundreds of them get stranded along the Florida shores during strong easterly winds."and next in sports we have....."

Kind of sounds like "Portugese Man o' War" jelly fish. They have a "balloon" like structure that extends above the water line. This allows wind to move them along the sea surface. Used to see hundreds of them get stranded along the Florida shores during strong easterly winds."and next in sports we have....."

Don't think they were jelly fish. These were ALL in groups of 3, all the same shape and size, and the 3 spheres were equal distance apart. It looked as if they were roped or chained together to keep them equally spaced. There was a large group of about 5 groups of 3 together, and the rest were all some distance away from the each other.

Edited by Bailey & Sophie