"automatic" gratuity added?

Califor6

Is it possible this individual never worked on Carnival. They do not pool tips (although I still don't know what they do with Any/My Time Dining tips when the patrons skip the DR on certain nights).

The dining room teams get a prorated cut of the $5.80 per person per day (we used to tip the waiter and assistant separately until auto tip started, and certainly a bit more confusing now that there are between 2 and 3 serving you now, serving many more tables than in the past).

And if the steward has an assistant, he has hired that person (an off duty individual looking to increase his take as well), increasing the amount of rooms he or she services, therefore, increasing his take.

"Tipping out" and "Pooling tips" are two different animals.

Yes you can. It's one of the three options they offer you. SImply go to guest services and let them know you prefer to pay tips in cash, and they will gladly remove them from your account.

I don't know about the gladly part. :rolleyes: LOL

"Tipping out" and "Pooling tips" are two different animals.

Yes they are.

On most cruise lines when you remove the auto -tip all or most of the cash tip is put back into the pool anyway so in fact you make it more difficult for those who you want to reward. The best way to reward these people is to either write a note to their supervisors explaining how they went over and above or giving them a little extra(at your discretion of course).

Edited by Phlybice

One never tips people they don't interact with. Don't let a cruise line tell you how to tip.

A voice of reason. I always said the same before and had the comments removed by the board. I just love how the first thing most say is dont be cheap, etc. They all forget what a TIP is, its not a wage. I too only tip those whose provide me service directly. For those who claim that im shorting the dishwasher or the guy who cleans the floors. I ask, the last time you went out to eat, did you tip the hostess, the dishwasher, the maintenance staff, the server, window washer, etc. We all know the answer.,

Yes they are.

what part of "on most cruise lines" don't you understand? did I say all? But I assure you that it goes back in anyway. and yes I know you feel that you should only tip those you see. Like the waiter really has that much to do with your food anyway(only that it is hot). The line chef has more to do with the food then he does...and you will never see him/her.

A voice of reason. I always said the same before and had the comments removed by the board. I just love how the first thing most say is dont be cheap, etc. They all forget what a TIP is, its not a wage. I too only tip those whose provide me service directly. For those who claim that im shorting the dishwasher or the guy who cleans the floors. I ask, the last time you went out to eat, did you tip the hostess, the dishwasher, the maintenance staff, the server, window washer, etc. We all know the answer.,

So when a salaried person is pressed into service in a different department they work for free? Let's say that a member of the entertainment staff has to work the buffet bussing tables, etc. or they have to help move the luggage on embarkation day. They are supposed to smile and not receive extra compensation? No, they get a portion of the $2 that is set aside for alternative services. Their compensation therefore takes two forms- a salary which compensates them for their primary job and a portion of tips that compensates them when they perform work for which other employees receive tips.

what part of "on most cruise lines" don't you understand? did I say all? But I assure you that it goes back in anyway. and yes I know you feel that you should only tip those you see. Like the waiter really has that much to do with your food anyway(only that it is hot). The line chef has more to do with the food then he does...and you will never see him/her.

And he gets paid a pretty penny for that job.

LOL you think so. The waiter with tips makes more.

Personally. I'd rather be an executive sous chef, which can net me about $6500 a month tax free*, and room and board on a ship when I retire.

A salary reduction when you retire can't hurt that much.

Edited by Phlybice

Personally. I'd rather be an executive sous chef, which can net me about $6500 a month tax free*, and room and board on a ship when I retire.

A salary reduction when you retire can't hurt that much.

again LOL How may executive sous chef are there on board? and its not tax free only not deducted you are still obligated to pay taxes on it. The line chef(commis 1,2,or three) makes a lot less.

http://www.cruiselinejob.com/galley.htm

How many retired people work in the Kitchen? zero.

you clearly have a bias not to pay it. Feel free to but at least be honest about it. About half of the people who say they take it off to leave cash leave nothing or less than the suggested amount when they have no complaint about the service.

again LOL How may executive sous chef are there on board? and its not tax free only not deducted you are still obligated to pay taxes on it. The line chef(commis 1,2,or three) makes a lot less.

http://www.cruiselinejob.com/galley.htm

How many retired people work in the Kitchen? zero.

you clearly have a bias not to pay it. Feel free to but at least be honest about it. About half of the people who say they take it off to leave cash leave nothing or less than the suggested amount when they have no complaint about the service.

Not pay it? Where have I even suggested I would not pay it? This thread is about paying tips with cash or credit. Nothing about not paying tips. That must be another thread.

Edited by Phlybice

Is it possible this individual never worked on Carnival. They do not pool tips (although I still don't know what they do with Any/My Time Dining tips when the patrons skip the DR on certain nights).

The dining room teams get a prorated cut of the $5.80 per person per day (we used to tip the waiter and assistant separately until auto tip started, and certainly a bit more confusing now that there are between 2 and 3 serving you now, serving many more tables than in the past).

And if the steward has an assistant, he has hired that person (an off duty individual looking to increase his take as well), increasing the amount of rooms he or she services, therefore, increasing his take.

...are you speaking from experience? just curious since you commented that the individual mayhap never worked for Carnival - so I'm wondering if you are or were a Carnival cruise ship employee. I'm also curious if the opinions posed here regarding who gets the tips, who doesn't get the tip are based on personal experience i.e. as one who has been on the receiving end of these tips -- or are they mostly from conversations with cruise workers?

Not pay it? Where have I even suggested I would not pay it? This thread is about paying tips with cash or credit. Nothing about not paying tips. That must be another thread.

didn't you say you only feel obligated to tip those you see?

"One never tips people they don't interact with. Don't let a cruise line tell you how to tip."

I guess constituency is the hobgoblin of little minds....

Edited by smeyer418

didn't you say you only feel obligated to tip those you see?

"One never tips people they don't interact with. Don't let a cruise line tell you how to tip."

I guess constituency is the hobgoblin of little minds....

Yup. In almost 30 years of cruising, I have only tipped my assigned staff, plus rarely the MD, and even once another tables server cause he went out of his way to interact with my 5 year old when he did have to.

I don't tip horn blowers, laundry staff, guest services, or any other of those people, simply because I know they NEVER receive tips.

Yup. In almost 30 years of cruising, I have only tipped my assigned staff, plus rarely the MD, and even once another tables server cause he went out of his way to interact with my 5 year old when he did have to.

I don't tip horn blowers, laundry staff, guest services, or any other of those people, simply because I know they NEVER receive tips.

so you never eat in the Lido deck? do you tip the guy there who makes your morning eggs? they get part of the $2.00 for the buffet service. Do you eat at the brunch sitdown?

Horn blowers, guest services aren't part of the tipping out but the laundry staff, line chefs etc and others are the people are tipped out. Its the way it works on cruise ships..

Edited by smeyer418

so you never eat in the Lido deck? do you tip the guy there who makes your morning eggs? These people are tipped out. Its the way it works on cruise ships..

Just because he cooks them upstairs instead of downstairs doesn't warrant a tip. They are cooks, and get a cooks salary. Cooks do NOT get tips.

And when I do eat on the lido, it's self serve. And walking around are the same guys I am already tipping for three service meals, at $5.80 per person per day. So if I choose to forego any service meal and do self serve, I surely am not tipping twice.

Horn blowers, guest services aren't part of the tipping out but the laundry staff, line chefs etc and others are the people are tipped out. Its the way it works on cruise ships..

You should go back to the link you supplied earlier. None of them get tips. They are salary jobs, some entry level with no experience required.

You should go back to the link you supplied earlier. None of them get tips. They are salary jobs, some entry level with no experience required.

tipping out may not be tips from you but they are tipped by the servers you pay. how do you know none of them are tipped have YOU ever worked in a cruise kitchen....they get tipped.

BTW the only one without experience is the cook trainee...not the line chef

Edited by smeyer418

Just because he cooks them upstairs instead of downstairs doesn't warrant a tip. They are cooks, and get a cooks salary. Cooks do NOT get tips.

And when I do eat on the lido, it's self serve. And walking around are the same guys I am already tipping for three service meals, at $5.80 per person per day. So if I choose to forego any service meal and do self serve, I surely am not tipping twice.

LOL sounds like you never tipped at all if you removed the Lido portion of your tip....

so do you leave money at the lido deck or not? simple question....

Simple answer. Never. I have already "paid" tips for three meals. If I use it at all.

As I stated, if I forego any service meal, and use the buffet and serve myself, I don't start redistributing tips. And I usually see that service guy that I get for dinner upstairs. I've "already" tipped him, as I'm serving myself.

Edited by Phlybice