"automatic" gratuity added?

Califor6

What is your source of information? Did someone tell you this personally?

This is Cruise Critic. Clearly the answer is "someone told me" or the answer is made up by the poster to defend their position.

Almost everyone here is a "Cruise Expert", knows the "answer" to every possible question or scenario, and many measure their post count like males measure a certain part of their anatomy.

RdP

I don't "agree" with the Pre-Pay, I believe a TIP is for a service already given. I do not tip anyone when I'm at home BEFORE they wait on me, cut my hair, etc. There is no incentive to provide great service then. It is just a "given".

Even though I feel this way, I have never removed a tip. Although a few times, I should have...

I agree. I feel my tip should be based on the service I receive. But like you, I never remove them. However, should I ever receive service that makes me want to remove the tip, it's more likely than not that I will write the cruise line a "nice" little letter. So, the people who should get the tip will get them and the one who needs a talkin' too will get it. I pre-pay my gratuities and view it as part of the cost of the cruise. I can enjoy my vacation more if I have one less thing to worry about. It really was a bit of a hassle having to get cash to pay the tips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll add to the downward spiral of this topic.

Im sure the attacks will come but in topics like this, its pretty easy to read between the lines and figure out who the tightwads are. My outspoken thought is if $11.50 a day is putting you out, it might be a good idea to find a different way to vacation. And If a person truly gets crappy service, thats another issue and should be addressed as a person sees fit, either by removing their tip and making it clear why when doing so, or by making it known directly to the matre'd or hotel manager. Personally, Id rather see the cruiselines remove the gratuity language and just include it in the fare and make it unremoveable. That'll end these debates

I used to cruise with a couple who gave the cabin steward and waiter $100 each and the assitant $75. You should have seen the looks on the faces of those cruise employees.

Edited by snownyet

:cool: I always bring this up on the tip threads!!:rolleyes: Back in the old days whenever we used to pay the cash tips on the last night, the dining room was always half full!!!:o I guess everyone was chasing down all those they wanted to tip!!:mad:

The part you are not disclosing was this only started when alternative dining was opened on tip night. Even when alternative dining started, it was closed tip night. So if you wanted to stiff the help and not shows up, you also had to starve. It wasn't too long after they opened alternative dining on tip night, that auto gratuity started. "For our convenience".

Wow, this is wrong. In a lot of tipping situations regardless of WHO you hand a tip to, you have little/no control over how it is split/distributed behind the scenes.

If your service was bad, by all means remove the tips. But don't remove them right off the bat because you feel like you'll do a better job getting the money in the hands of all the people that impacted your trip.

Like others have said, think of it as part of the fare. Because in the end Carnival will get their money one way or another. "Everyone is removing tips? Ok, lets jack up the rates to make up for it."

I agree with your first statement. But I disagree with the latter because I believe if everyone removes their tips, it doesn't effect Carnival, it effects the workers.

The part you are not disclosing was this only started when alternative dining was opened on tip night. Even when alternative dining started, it was closed tip night. So if you wanted to stiff the help and not shows up, you also had to starve. It wasn't too long after they opened alternative dining on tip night, that auto gratuity started. "For our convenience".

:cool: Sorry!! There was not alternative dining back in the early 90's!!! It was all MDR. Maybe pizza!! Also maybe a little buffet! You didn't go hungry!:rolleyes:

These threads are like train wrecks. You know exactly where they're going but you can't help but watch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So true . . . I also think they are sometimes started to cause a train wreck. :)

you can have the best of both worlds...

ASSUME that they will give you great service. Leave the auto tips there. IF they did not earn your tips in your opinion, you can remove them or alter them on the last day.

This way you are still tipping for good service and have the option to fix it on bad service. (kinda like a money back guarantee. if they dont produce, you get your money back).

and this way if you get good service, you have to do nothing about it.

Just my opinion

Pretty much a great answer here. The cruiseline has advertised/promised to you GREAT service, and you are likely to receive great service and quickly conclude the daily per person charge is a fair amount.

I DO want to note that if you are unhappy with any aspect of service, ask for a manager or higher staff position and address it. They want you to be happy. They want feedback. Sending a letter after the cruise is a lost cause and waste of time. Let management onboard correct issues so you have a GREAT experience. If they fail to do so, adjust as you see fit. Adjust as you see fit regardless, I'm just saying if something isn't up to par ask for it to be corrected before looking first for punitive action.

As far as those trying to shame you to give MORE; that's totally subjective and another personal call if you receive above and beyond type of service.

I prepay my gratuities. I just have to have Any Time dining when i cruise because of the convenience of being able to go to dinner at anytime I want.

My first couple of cruises, I did not do this . . . I had the same philosophy of "What if the service isn't any good" . . . then after being greeted with nothing but smiles the entire cruise, bed made 2 and 3 times a day with ice buckets for wine/champagne every night and all the food service . . . The $11.50 per person per day seems like quite a steal. I'll be the first to admit, I do NOT tip anything more than this. I do NOT want to worry about tipping on my vacation, and I'm relieved this takes care of it for me.

I mean just think about it . . . some of these dinners for 2 in the MDR would be over $100 at a landbased restaurant. At only 15% that would account for 2/3's of what you spend on a daily basis. Factor in breakfast, lunch and housekeeping. Hell what am I complaining for.

The only time the service was bad was on a 3 day trip on the Majesty with RC (room not made when we got on board, small hair on plate at MDR and slow service when toilet would back up and overflow out of nowhere). Now although i could not get my money back from the prepaid gratuities (I probably could of if i really pushed it) . . . we ended up with plates of chocolate, strawberries, 2 official robes and 2 bottles of champagne and a bottle of wine for all of the problems. They waived corkage fees in the MDR as well.

They try to go out of there way to make it right even when they get it wrong so I'm comfortable prepaying with any cruise line I go on knowing that I'm going to get great service or be taken care of if the service isn't as great as it usually is.

Edited by kdawg954

If one has service issues then it is certainly appropriate to adjust the tips whether they've been pre-paid or not, but one should give management the opportunity to address any chronic issues. The only other thing that I would add is to keep your level of service expectations reasonable- you are not eating at Ruth Chris or sailing on Silversea or Crystal.

I prepay my gratuities. I just have to have Any Time dining when i cruise because of the convenience of being able to go to dinner at anytime I want..

not sure if this came up during this thread but if you pre pay gratuities and have Your Time Dining, who exactly gets your gratuity (assuming you will get a few different waiters during your cruise)?

Edited by LuckyZ

not sure if this came up during this thread but if you pre pay gratuities and have Your Time Dining, who exactly gets your gratuity (assuming you will get a few different waiters during your cruise)?

That's the beauty of auto-tips- you the passenger don't have to figure that out, it is up to the cruise line and they make sure that everyone that is supposed to get a part of the tip, does.

I was waiting for this type of post. You didn't disappoint us. There is no way tippers are going to chase down people who should get those tips (a great part of the paycheck these people depend on). They are automatically added for simplicity for the cruiser, and no they are not required. How would you feel if you worked your butt off but did not get compensated for it? It's a shame to tip your waiter because he delivered your plate, but not the one who cooked the food or did the dishes.

I bet the chef, sous chef, salad prepper, dish washer, and janitor of your favorite restaurant all appreciate seeing you come on for dinner?!

This is Cruise Critic. Clearly the answer is "someone told me" or the answer is made up by the poster to defend their position.

Almost everyone here is a "Cruise Expert", knows the "answer" to every possible question or scenario, and many measure their post count like males measure a certain part of their anatomy.

RdP

9.5 if were measuring.

My wife and I always bring 2 toothbrushes each. One set is a fake set that we clean things with, we leave these out and our good toothbrushes are in the safe.:)

9.5 if were measuring.

My wife and I always bring 2 toothbrushes each. One set is a fake set that we clean things with, we leave these out and our good toothbrushes are in the safe.:)

Makes it odd when you think some befriend these toothbrush toilet brushers.

Technically, it's not pre-paying.

Yes, it's added to your inboard account, but you don't pay that until you're leaving. :)

Pre-paying is an option on your cruise manager to actually pay the gratuities before you even cruise.

Don't forget to bring some $1's and 5's for porters, room service and taxis.

For those that constantly talk about the $11.50 per day not being distributed to everyone properly and that it would be hard to do this on your own if you remove tips......

How many of you walk in to a land based restaurant and after you eat, you tip the waitress, tip the hostess, tip the cook, tip the dishwasher, tip the person who scrubs the floor and cleans the bathroom, etc.???? Exact same scenario.

Oh please, I am so tired of hearing how hard the crew works for minimal pay. I have many friends with families that work 2 crappy jobs to put food on their table to feed their families right here in Pittsburgh.

ok, off my soapbox, cruising tomorrow:D:D

For those that constantly talk about the $11.50 per day not being distributed to everyone properly and that it would be hard to do this on your own if you remove tips......

How many of you walk in to a land based restaurant and after you eat, you tip the waitress, tip the hostess, tip the cook, tip the dishwasher, tip the person who scrubs the floor and cleans the bathroom, etc.???? Exact same scenario.

Oh please, I am so tired of hearing how hard the crew works for minimal pay. I have many friends with families that work 2 crappy jobs to put food on their table to feed their families right here in Pittsburgh.

ok, off my soapbox, cruising tomorrow:D:D

And do you know who your waitress is tipping out once you've tipped her? You don't and you have no control over what she does with it and it gets divvied out under an agreement between the waitress, her employer and the other employees.

Exact same scenario on the ship- you leave a tip of $11.50 and it gets divvied up to those crew members who are supposed to recieve a portion of it under an agreement between the crew member, the cruise line and the other crew members. $11.50 a day is a great deal given the amount of service one receives. If the cruise line wants to give some of that to someone who ordinarily wouldn't receive a tip who am I to argue?

And do you know who your waitress is tipping out once you've tipped her? You don't and you have no control over what she does with it and it gets divvied out under an agreement between the waitress, her employer and the other employees.

Exact same scenario on the ship- you leave a tip of $11.50 and it gets divvied up to those crew members who are supposed to recieve a portion of it under an agreement between the crew member, the cruise line and the other crew members. $11.50 a day is a great deal given the amount of service one receives. If the cruise line wants to give some of that to someone who ordinarily wouldn't receive a tip who am I to argue?

That actually would be the waitresses problem if she took a job in a place where she had to share any part of her income.

Restaurant owners would LOVE to make their prices low and let the tipping system drive the pay in their establishments. All they need are people willing to do that.

The minute I was told I would be sharing tips, I would be sharing my back through the side door.

And certainly NONE of my problem as the patron.

Edited by Pine Bluff

I agree with your first statement. But I disagree with the latter because I believe if everyone removes their tips, it doesn't effect Carnival, it effects the workers.

It's supply and demand. If the workers rely on tips as income and income decreases, workers find other places to work. This costs Carnival (like any business) in two ways. One in recruitment and training of new staff (which is a higher cost for any business than most people realize) and the other in increased wages to make up for lack of tip income. Both increases would certainly be passed on to the consumer.

Obviously I'm not an "expert" in the cruise industry but I don't think the conclusions I've drawn are that far fetched.

Exactly, my obligation ends when I leave the tip and what happens to it after that matters not to me at all and that applies whether I am ashore or at sea.

Edited by sparks1093

That actually would be the waitresses problem if she took a job in a place where she had to share any part of her income.

Restaurant owners would LOVE to make their prices low and let the tipping system drive the pay in their establishments. All they need are people willing to do that.

The minute I was told I would be sharing tips, I would be sharing my back through the side door.

And on behalf of service industry folks, I hope you show your disapproval for the tipping customs by frequenting only fast food restaurants where there is no tipping at all.

And on behalf of service industry folks, I hope you show your disapproval for the tipping customs by frequenting only fast food restaurants where there is no tipping at all.

Um, where exactly did you draw a conclusion I was not a good tipper?

BTW, speaking of land restaurants yet again, we were educated recently by a waitree who said her management treated charge tips different that cash tips, so that she prefered cash tips when asked.