"automatic" gratuity added?

Califor6

Not true.. Don't remove the tips.. If so carnival puts you on a list and your room Stewart knows than your tooth brush may double as a toilet brush.. Don't let your tooth brush be used as a toilet brush don't remove your tips just keep the auto 11.50 in place so you do f come back with toilet breathe

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When you remove the automatic gratuities your room steward may become angry. When your room steward becomes angry, he may think of ways to get even with you. When he thinks of ways to get even with you he may become creative. When he gets creative, he may see your toothbrush as a good thing to clean the toilet with. When you use your tooth brush that was used to clean the toilet, you get a potty mouth. Don't get a potty mouth, leave your prepaid/automatic tips alone :D !

Edited by n6uqqq

You mean you don't trust Carnival's employees to be ethical? Who would want to tip someone that has those intentions?

Oh geez people no sense of humor .. Can't you see the satellite vs cable commerical

When you remove the automatic gratuities your room steward may become angry. When your room steward gets angry, he may think of ways to get even with you. When he thinks of ways to get even with you he may become creative. When he gets creative, he may see your toothbrush as a good thing to clean the toilet with. When you use your tooth brush that was used to clean the toilet, you get a potty mouth. Don't get a potty mouth, leave your prepaid/automatic tips alone :D !

Why would they be angry with someone choosing one of the three ways Carnival offers a way to tip? You think they are uneducated as to how CArnival tells its customers the different ways to tip? And would sacrifice income dollars?

I thought I read somewhere that an automatic gratuity is added to a drink order. Is that true?

Yes 10% goes on but I pretty much always add on a little more especially if its someone who becomes my regular bartender on the cruise.

I see someone else says 15% s added they may be right but I thought I was 10%

Edited by Midwestgal

When you remove the automatic gratuities your room steward may become angry. When your room steward becomes angry, he may think of ways to get even with you. When he thinks of ways to get even with you he may become creative. When he gets creative, he may see your toothbrush as a good thing to clean the toilet with. When you use your tooth brush that was used to clean the toilet, you get a potty mouth. Don't get a potty mouth, leave your prepaid/automatic tips alone :D !

Perfect:D It's too bad some here didn't "get it";)

thanks for the detail info and replies. I was wandering who all is included in the 'automatic' gratuity...but I am the kind of person that believes a tip is earned based on service given; not just assumed....I tip well for any dining, housekeeping, etc, whenever we go on vacation - so a cruise will be no exception/service first. I don't like when it's considered automatic - it's 'earned' for GOOD service. :)

you can have the best of both worlds...

ASSUME that they will give you great service. Leave the auto tips there. IF they did not earn your tips in your opinion, you can remove them or alter them on the last day.

This way you are still tipping for good service and have the option to fix it on bad service. (kinda like a money back guarantee. if they dont produce, you get your money back).

and this way if you get good service, you have to do nothing about it.

Just my opinion

I take it in a buffet you are doing all the work. The only tip I would leave in a buffet was if they brought me a drink, and tipped on that.

Who's cleaning the table? Who wipes the table? Who makes sure there is condimants on the table? Who makes sure there is Ice Cream mix in the machine?

Edited by SadieN

This..

I was waiting for this type of post. You didn't disappoint us. There is no way tippers are going to chase down people who should get those tips (a great part of the paycheck these people depend on). They are automatically added for simplicity for the cruiser, and no they are not required. How would you feel if you worked your butt off but did not get compensated for it? It's a shame to tip your waiter because he delivered your plate, but not the one who cooked the food or did the dishes.

Why would they be angry with someone choosing one of the three ways Carnival offers a way to tip? You think they are uneducated as to how CArnival tells its customers the different ways to tip? And would sacrifice income dollars?

I am sure the stewards would be happy with a cash tip as well if they actually receive it. There is a reason the line for guest services is backed up almost to the bridge on the last night of the cruise with people removing tips. How many who remove tips on the last night are furiously chasing down all the people who worked hard to serve them? People are free to do as they please and Carnival will probably never change how tips are handled because it makes the cruise appear cheaper by having the tips separate. I just let Carnival do the auto tip and offer extra cash for anyone I felt went above and beyond the call of duty. Each to their own though.

Thanks! You did a better job than I did!

Note that these ships ARE NOT registered to the US. So I doubt that applies here.

Only to NCL's pride of America which is American flagged. BTW I was on the splendor recently. with my son and grandsons in another room. the grandson's spent every night but one in our room(my spouse and I). I transferred one of the room gratuituies to my room. I did check to make sure that the other steward would not get marked down for my moving the one room charge to our room...and I left our Steward some extra money. I did find out that only about $3.50 of the $11.50 is given to the room stewards the rest goes to food service(main dining room and lido buffet)..

Edited by smeyer418

Only waiters get paid the 2.13/hour. Everyone else MUST get paid at LEAST minimum wage. It's the law.

On a cruise ship under a foreign flag cruising international waters with a mainly if not all crew that are not American citizens? Think again. The service charge is how the cruise line pays their wages and doesn't have to raise cruise fares to do so. They just call it a service charge

Not true.. Don't remove the tips.. If so carnival puts you on a list and your room Stewart knows than your tooth brush may double as a toilet brush.. Don't let your tooth brush be used as a toilet brush don't remove your tips just keep the auto 11.50 in place so you don't come back with toilet breath

I never remove tips and usually give extra but I am no fool and while I know not all stewards would do such horrible things I take no chances

My personal stuff goes in a zippered case and goes in my cabin safe. My meds makeup toothbrush etc. I don't overpack this kind of crap anyway so it fits just fine thank you. Lol

Only waiters get paid the 2.13/hour. Everyone else MUST get paid at LEAST minimum wage. It's the law.

Sorry. Wrong. This applies for restaurant servers in the US. Ships are not flagged in the US for this reason among many others. I think this is the biggest misconception many Americans have for ship staff.

'Zactley. That's why I always %}*}><!\€]> pre pay my gratuities. I don't want potty mouth :eek:. Funny post, Some people have no sense of humor :rolleyes: