"automatic" gratuity added?

Califor6

Yes, that is true. It is for good service. But do you plan on carrying a wad of $1s so as to tip every person who provides good service? The easy ones to spot are your waiter or cabin steward but what about the folks at the buffet? Those who bring you drinks? How about those who clean a table for you to sit at? Etc.......... The auto-tips are a much easier way to handle this task.

Very well said........

There is no way that the OP or anyone removing tips, CLAIMING that they will tip everyone that has provided them service in person, will actually follow through and do it. They are just cheating those that work in the buffet and other behind-the-scenes areas out of their tips.

For those that have stated that they don't believe in tipping before a service is rendered, fine, but you cannot account for the behind the scenes workers. It is far more easier to leave the tips on or pre-pay them and then, if and only if you have an issue, remove or reduce them.

Claiming that you must have good service proven to you before you tip is just a mental expectation for expecting subpar service. It's just a sorry excuse to remove the tips that you were planning to do the entire time.

Cruising is not the same as tipping on land. You are in a floating hotel with many, many more folks that provide you services so you can enjoy your vacation. You use the same buffet day, same entertainment staff etc... It's not like a land vacation where you may eat at a restaurant outside of your main hotel. Same with the entertainment. Is is a self contained environment and call it a tip or a service charge, these workers have more than one job on board. You morning buffet server may also be the one selling water bottles on your port day. The Lido servers may be the ones on the private islands serving your lunch. They multi-task and there is no way for you to know exactly who to tip individually. That is the whole purpose of Carnival adding them or requesting them up front. Everyone is covered so you don't have to worry about it.

Lastly, is your cruise time not important? Who wants to stand in line at guest services and take the time to remove the tips and then "claim" to fill the individual envelopes and deliver them to all that have served you. The logical thing to do is to leave the autos on and tip extra if you feel that the service was so great. If not, then deal with the situation accordingly and before the last night on board.

If one cannot afford to pay the $11.50 per day than perhaps save up a a bit longer or cut down on what you have put aside for your bar-budget, because that's exactly what it amounts to - being too darn cheap to take care of those that are taking care of you - making sure that you have a great cruise.

Very well said........

There is no way that the OP or anyone removing tips, CLAIMING that they will tip everyone that has provided them service in person, will actually follow through and do it. They are just cheating those that work in the buffet and other behind-the-scenes areas out of their tips.

For those that have stated that they don't believe in tipping before a service is rendered, fine, but you cannot account for the behind the scenes workers. It is far more easier to leave the tips on or pre-pay them and then, if and only if you have an issue, remove or reduce them.

Claiming that you must have good service proven to you before you tip is just a mental expectation for expecting subpar service. It's just a sorry excuse to remove the tips that you were planning to do the entire time.

Cruising is not the same as tipping on land. You are in a floating hotel with many, many more folks that provide you services so you can enjoy your vacation. You use the same buffet day, same entertainment staff etc... It's not like a land vacation where you may eat at a restaurant outside of your main hotel. Same with the entertainment. Is is a self contained environment and call it a tip or a service charge, these workers have more than one job on board. You morning buffet server may also be the one selling water bottles on your port day. The Lido servers may be the ones on the private islands serving your lunch. They multi-task and there is no way for you to know exactly who to tip individually. That is the whole purpose of Carnival adding them or requesting them up front. Everyone is covered so you don't have to worry about it.

Lastly, is your cruise time not important? Who wants to stand in line at guest services and take the time to remove the tips and then "claim" to fill the individual envelopes and deliver them to all that have served you. The logical thing to do is to leave the autos on and tip extra if you feel that the service was so great. If not, then deal with the situation accordingly and before the last night on board.

If one cannot afford to pay the $11.50 per day than perhaps save up a a bit longer or cut down on what you have put aside for your bar-budget, because that's exactly what it amounts to - being too darn cheap to take care of those that are taking care of you - making sure that you have a great cruise.

You have apparently forgotten that you paid a fare. A portion of which Carnival uses to pay their salaried employees.

Tipping is for those assigned to service you and dedicated to you and a slice of others. This is your dining and room staff. And you never need to chase them down. They seem to always be around.

We have a winner!

Very well said........

What is your source of information?

You have apparently forgotten that you paid a fare. A portion of which Carnival uses to pay their salaried employees.

Tipping is for those assigned to service you and dedicated to you and a slice of others. This is your dining and room staff. And you never need to chase them down. They seem to always be around.

Ok here it goes .

a while back i found out that , wait , first .

why should i tip the bar and servers as i do not drink from any bar.

i do not gamble , why tip them.

lets start , carvinal hires these servers for , lets say $1000 per cruise.

then carnival charges you (tip) for them to serve you and clean your room.

what was told to me is carnival uses this to help pay the $1000 that they agreeded to pay said person , how do you really no what happens with these tips unless you give it to each person that servered you ?

think first then reply.

Very well said........

Wrong. Tipping is OPTIONAL. So until it is not optional then they can afford a cruise without the 11.50 per day. Nothing worse than internet tippers telling others how to tip through guilt and name calling.:mad: Do you think the womans tips were removed from the employee on Holland America that assaulted her? I'm sure you would want that employe tipped as well.

Edited by repo-cruiser

Ok here it goes .

what was told to me is carnival uses this to help pay the $1000 that they agreeded to pay said person , how do you really no what happens with these tips unless you give it to each person that servered you ?

think first then reply.

OK, I have thought and will reply. I ahve read your comments three times and I still don't understand what you are trying to say.

Has that happened often to you?

Frequency is not the relevant question here. I'm not on trial. I'm asking a question about how things work. Once I state what I believe is often or not, I will be attacked by others who disagree with what I may or may not think is often, bad, not up to par, etc. So let's not hang me for asking a question just yet.

Simply put; if you receive bad service, what would you do?

Let's agree that the first step is to go to a higher level onboard manager, hotel director, head waiter, etc. and discuss your concern to give them an opportunity to correct any issues, but if it was not rectified what would you do?

Who told you?

Ok here it goes .

think first then reply.

I hate tipping threads mostly because there is so much misinformation(in some cases deliberately so by people who have an ax to grind or a particular view of the world).

The service people on most of the tipping cruise lines are paid a base salary of something around $100 per MONTH plus on board room and board and some on board medical care) here is a thread from someone who works/ed in the dining room that talks about this.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1107696

They do take home more because they get a draw against the tips and the tips themselves.

This method of paying the traditional tipped crew goes back to at least the early 1900's and was continued by Samuel Cunard who was born in Canada and emigrated to England.

In fact in the 1910-30 there was a movement in the US to do away with tipping-which obviously failed.

Because of the fare structure now the remuneration for the traditionally tipped crew is NOT included in the fare. Generally those cruise lines that do include it charge more than the difference between the cost of tipping non tipping(Azamara announced a 25% increase and included the "basic" tipping and some other items-none of which when added together could justify a 25% increase-but I don't know if the full increase has held this is an example I realize that your cruise line may not be Azamara or Seaborn or other of the luxury lines where in general you pay a premium to get the base tip included-do you really think that people no longer tip on these lines?).

Whether it’s in the fare or the expected tip, its you are paying it anyway. I really don't see why you may want to pay more to have it included in the fare.

On most cruise lines when you remove the auto -tip all or most of the cash tip is put back into the pool anyway so in fact you make it more difficult for those who you want to reward. The best way to reward these people is to either write a note to their supervisors explaining how they went over and above or giving them a little extra(at your discretion of course).

The auto tip takes care of what the employees were required to do anyway(called tipping out). The rooms stewards traditionally tipped out the laundry room supply room staff and asst head housekeeper(the name for this varies among cruise lines); and the waiters tipped out the bus boys, dishwashers, line cooks and asst head waiter/maitre d(also varies by cruise line).

Do the employees just pocket the cash? mostly no. If the auto-tip is removed and they don't turn it in(BTW I have been told by some staff they sometimes convert extra tips left by some which they don't have to turn in at all to pay for the cheapos/stiffers because they ARE marked down when people keep taking the auto-tip off and leave nothing or less than the suggested amount-rightfully or wrongfully its held against them). The employees live in close quarters 3-4 in a room and they don't want large amounts of cash lying around either. The employees know pretty quickly who are the slackers and pocketers and since the supervisor is one of the people being stiffed by the employees they get a. fired b. non renewed or c the worst assignments....and also have been known to be visited by their own countries of origin mafia on board.

Ships are clearly a different culture with somewhat different rules. The tipping culture is a tradition on board. I know some people dis like being told when in Rome....but you aren't in Kansas either.

If you don't like the auto-tip you are of course free to chose another cruise line that includes it but if you like the cruise line’s product and the service you really SHOULD follow the tradition.

There is also not one iota of evidence that the entire auto tip doesn't make it to the traditionally tipped and tipped out crew. The cruise lines even absorb the credit card charge although that is subject to change. Cruise employees sue cruise lines all the time and there is NOT one report of any crew member that the entire amount doesn't eventually get to them and not one reported lawsuit...yet(I monitor a number of cruise lawyers reports who would report any such lawsuit).

I also don’t believe that in most cases that tipping has anything to do with the service you-or even how much the employees get paid. It’s a function more of training, supervision and the individual’s employees work ethic more than anything else…as in a good McDonald’s.

BTW NCL reports about 90-95% compliance rates. If the rate drops down the home office wants to know why and that is why your steward and your assigned (unless you are on MTD) will be questioned if the amounts are removed).

How do I know this for a fact. It’s a long story but I had a friend who was the CEO of one of the cruise lines.

Now them is the facts. If you would like to discuss the facts please do but just like you may complain when someone on formal night wears shorts, traditions should be obeyed.

Frequency is not the relevant question here. I'm not on trial. I'm asking a question about how things work. Once I state what I believe is often or not, I will be attacked by others who disagree with what I may or may not think is often, bad, not up to par, etc. So let's not hang me for asking a question just yet.

Let's agree that the first step is to go to a higher level onboard manager, hotel director, head waiter, etc. and discuss your concern to give them an opportunity to correct any issues, but if it was not rectified what would you do?

Actually I think frequency is a relevant point. In our 28 plus crusies, it has never happened to us. While it (percieved levels of service) is totally subjective I am willing to bet the farm that it had little to do with the vast majority of people who reclaim tips. There are many posts here whre people said they reclaimed tips because they ahd to ask for ice oe day, it goes on and on.

There should be a path of escalation. I would be surprised if the vast majority of "issues" are not handled upon the first request. If esclation failed, then I agree it is a last resort option. Go check out the line on the last night of people taking tips off (which is the cowardly way to do it (BTW).

By the way, you are correct, you are not on trial. I was just asking the question because I was not sure whre you were coming from.

Ok here it goes .

think first then reply.

First of all, we have been assure from a Carnival represntative many times over that the stewards and the waiters get 100% of their tips whether its cash or credit. This came once after an allegation that Carenival takes a cut for the credit card tips (Carnoival eats the CC upcharge).

Nd second, there'd be an uprising from the staff if they ever detected what their share is. There may even be some sort of audit trail in their process.

By the way, you are correct, you are not on trial. I was just asking the question because I was not sure whre you were coming from.

Fair enough. I think you and I have a fundamental agreement here. I'm not endorsing removing the tips as a way to subsidize the cost of a cruise. I do advocate solving issues onboard; complaining after is a waste of energy really. Correct things when they are happening. I do however not believe that full tips are warranted for poor service, just like those that go above the required can earn more. It goes both ways.

I've never reduced/removed tips on any cruise. Believe me, when I board a ship I am looking for a good time, I'm looking for reasons to add. If I am adding more that means I'm having a wonderful experience.

Actually I think frequency is a relevant point. In our 28 plus crusies, it has never happened to us. While it (percieved levels of service) is totally subjective I am willing to bet the farm that it had little to do with the vast majority of people who reclaim tips. There are many posts here whre people said they reclaimed tips because they ahd to ask for ice oe day, it goes on and on.

There should be a path of escalation. I would be surprised if the vast majority of "issues" are not handled upon the first request. If esclation failed, then I agree it is a last resort option. Go check out the line on the last night of people taking tips off (which is the cowardly way to do it (BTW).

31 cruises and this only happeneds to us once. The guy was so inept, the head waiter of the room either was helping him or was doing his serving. When we complained, we were let know he was being canned after that week. We ended up giving his entire tip to the head waiter. Whether he gave him anything o could care less at that point.

Anther cruise, a 5 dayer, we got our orders right once. Yes once. We halved the tiip. The MD seemed to be too busy singing and admiring himself when we attemped to complain. We let our money do the talking that week.

What do you do when service is bad? Being able to afford to pay for good service doesn't mean you must pay for bad, does it?

What exactly defines bad service? Not getting a perfect towel animal ? Bad service to one is good or fair service to another. If there is an incident or an expected service was not rendered, then take it up with that worker and allow them to rectify it. If it cannot be corrected than head to guest services and address the issue with them.

Expecting bad service before it's rendered it nothing more than an excuse to pull the gratituies for ALL of the workers.

Deal with a bad situation when and if it arrises.

Are you really going to run around on day 7 with 56 tips envelopes for all of the behind the scenes workers that have serviced you? A random number but that is exactly what it amounts to. Even if you do not drink, that bartender may be the one who served your lunch on HMC island. Ditto for the DJ in the nightclub that you may not have visited. He was the one on HMC that provided some of the entertainment for your family. Etc...

This would be so much easier if Carnival would just call it what it really is a service charge. A charge for certain services rendered to the guest to provide an enjoyable cruise vacation experience. $11.50 pp per day is a bargain.

If you feel that Carnival should be paying higher wages to their staff so that you don't have to pull out your wallet and tip, then stop cruising on Carnival. But until that time don't decide that you are not going to tip-pay a service charge or whatever you want to call it, just because you do not agree with Carnival's policy. If you don't like it, go sail elsewhere or go to Disney World and kiss more than $11.50 per day good-bye.

It is my sole opinion that passengers that pull tips are cheapskates and doing nothing more than trying to justify thier reasons for doing so. If you are a TP (tip-puller) than you have already decided BEFORE you even step on that ship that you will be finding some type of petty reason or excuse not to pay your tips. It is not name calling. It is my opinion. ..... and you know as well as I do that those tips are a comin off one way or another.

Fair enough. I think you and I have a fundamental agreement here. I'm not endorsing removing the tips as a way to subsidize the cost of a cruise. I do advocate solving issues onboard; complaining after is a waste of energy really. Correct things when they are happening. I do however not believe that full tips are warranted for poor service, just like those that go above the required can earn more. It goes both ways.

I've never reduced/removed tips on any cruise. Believe me, when I board a ship I am looking for a good time, I'm looking for reasons to add. If I am adding more that means I'm having a wonderful experience.

I agree, we are on the same page. Cruising for us has always been a very pleasurable experience. Some have far exceed our expectations.

31 cruises and this only happeneds to us once. The guy was so inept, the head waiter of the room either was helping him or was doing his serving. When we complained, we were let know he was being canned after that week. We ended up giving his entire tip to the head waiter. Whether he gave him anything o could care less at that point.

Anther cruise, a 5 dayer, we got our orders right once. Yes once. We halved the tiip. The MD seemed to be too busy singing and admiring himself when we attemped to complain. We let our money do the talking that week.

I am not saying it does not happen. That being said I guarantee it does not happen as often as people take tips off.

I hate tipping threads mostly because there is so much misinformation(in some cases deliberately so by people who have an ax to grind or a particular view of the world).

The service people on most of the tipping cruise lines are paid a base salary of something around $100 per MONTH plus on board room and board and some on board medical care) here is a thread from someone who works/ed in the dining room that talks about this.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1107696

They do take home more because they get a draw against the tips and the tips themselves.

This method of paying the traditional tipped crew goes back to at least the early 1900's and was continued by Samuel Cunard who was born in Canada and emigrated to England.

In fact in the 1910-30 there was a movement in the US to do away with tipping-which obviously failed.

Because of the fare structure now the remuneration for the traditionally tipped crew is NOT included in the fare. Generally those cruise lines that do include it charge more than the difference between the cost of tipping non tipping(Azamara announced a 25% increase and included the "basic" tipping and some other items-none of which when added together could justify a 25% increase-but I don't know if the full increase has held this is an example I realize that your cruise line may not be Azamara or Seaborn or other of the luxury lines where in general you pay a premium to get the base tip included-do you really think that people no longer tip on these lines?).

Whether it’s in the fare or the expected tip, its you are paying it anyway. I really don't see why you may want to pay more to have it included in the fare.

On most cruise lines when you remove the auto -tip all or most of the cash tip is put back into the pool anyway so in fact you make it more difficult for those who you want to reward. The best way to reward these people is to either write a note to their supervisors explaining how they went over and above or giving them a little extra(at your discretion of course).

The auto tip takes care of what the employees were required to do anyway(called tipping out). The rooms stewards traditionally tipped out the laundry room supply room staff and asst head housekeeper(the name for this varies among cruise lines); and the waiters tipped out the bus boys, dishwashers, line cooks and asst head waiter/maitre d(also varies by cruise line).

Do the employees just pocket the cash? mostly no. If the auto-tip is removed and they don't turn it in(BTW I have been told by some staff they sometimes convert extra tips left by some which they don't have to turn in at all to pay for the cheapos/stiffers because they ARE marked down when people keep taking the auto-tip off and leave nothing or less than the suggested amount-rightfully or wrongfully its held against them). The employees live in close quarters 3-4 in a room and they don't want large amounts of cash lying around either. The employees know pretty quickly who are the slackers and pocketers and since the supervisor is one of the people being stiffed by the employees they get a. fired b. non renewed or c the worst assignments....and also have been known to be visited by their own countries of origin mafia on board.

Ships are clearly a different culture with somewhat different rules. The tipping culture is a tradition on board. I know some people dis like being told when in Rome....but you aren't in Kansas either.

If you don't like the auto-tip you are of course free to chose another cruise line that includes it but if you like the cruise line’s product and the service you really SHOULD follow the tradition.

There is also not one iota of evidence that the entire auto tip doesn't make it to the traditionally tipped and tipped out crew. The cruise lines even absorb the credit card charge although that is subject to change. Cruise employees sue cruise lines all the time and there is NOT one report of any crew member that the entire amount doesn't eventually get to them and not one reported lawsuit...yet(I monitor a number of cruise lawyers reports who would report any such lawsuit).

I also don’t believe that in most cases that tipping has anything to do with the service you-or even how much the employees get paid. It’s a function more of training, supervision and the individual’s employees work ethic more than anything else…as in a good McDonald’s.

BTW NCL reports about 90-95% compliance rates. If the rate drops down the home office wants to know why and that is why your steward and your assigned (unless you are on MTD) will be questioned if the amounts are removed).

How do I know this for a fact. It’s a long story but I had a friend who was the CEO of one of the cruise lines.

Now them is the facts. If you would like to discuss the facts please do but just like you may complain when someone on formal night wears shorts, traditions should be obeyed.

Is it possible this individual never worked on Carnival. They do not pool tips (although I still don't know what they do with Any/My Time Dining tips when the patrons skip the DR on certain nights).

The dining room teams get a prorated cut of the $5.80 per person per day (we used to tip the waiter and assistant separately until auto tip started, and certainly a bit more confusing now that there are between 2 and 3 serving you now, serving many more tables than in the past).

And if the steward has an assistant, he has hired that person (an off duty individual looking to increase his take as well), increasing the amount of rooms he or she services, therefore, increasing his take.

Is it possible this individual never worked on Carnival....

The article reports it. He reports it. Don't you think that Carnival by now would have said he didn't if he hadn't. They may not have been required to pool tips but I assure you tipping out takes place anyway.

On most cruise lines, the asst is not a cruise line employee but someone who the steward hires and pays himself. I am not sure about Carnival specifically on this one.

Edited by smeyer418