Half Moon Cay

Ohio Bucki

I will be on the Carnival Glory in November, one of the stops is Half Moon Cay. Do you tender to the island? Any other info. or suggestions about this island?

Thanks!!

We'll be at HMC also in November on the Liberty. Never been there but I've read its positively beautiful. Been reading up on it.

Yes, you do tender to the island. I know Carnival offers cabana rentals for like $200.00 if you want one. Some people swear by them and say it's the way to go so you can get out of the sun and have a little privacy. Others say just pull your lounger under a tree and you'll be fine.

Lunch bar-b-q served on the island thru Carnival and is free. Drinks are purchased thru your sign and sail card but cheers program can not be used on the island.

Soft white sand. I think there is horseback riding excursions available and stingrays also.

If I remember correctly, excursions booked for HMC will be allowed on the earlier tenders. Or if you have FTTF purchased, you can get moved up in line to get to the island on one of the fist tenders as well. (though not for the return tender back to the ship, just to the island) Otherwise, you have to get a tender ticket in one of the theaters onboard in the morning and it tells you when you can get on the tender. First come first served kind of thing.

What is FTTF?

Faster To The Fun. $50.00 per cabin. They only release about 15 of them. Then, if those sell out, they may, or may not, release 15 more for a max of 30 if I remember correctly.

Gets you priority boarding, after Platinum and wedding parties.

Instead of having to walk around with your carry on bags until the rooms are ready, (which can vary from 11 am to 1:30 pm from what I've read), you can go straight to your room after you board and drop off your carry on luggage before you start roaming the ship

You can use the Priority line at guest services instead of waiting in the sometimes long line.

For tendered ports, instead of getting a tender ticket and waiting in a lounge for your tender number to be called, you can go to guest services when you are ready to get off the ship, and they walk you past the lines and put you right on the next tender. I would assume you get some nasty looks from people who've been in line waiting for an hour or more, but its a perk that everyone has the option of paying for so.....

There may be more to it that that. I'm not sure. Maybe someone else will chime in with more info if you need it.

• 3 months later...

I will be on the Glory in November as well and wondered how HMC worked as well. Our stop there begins at 9am so I wonder how early you can get in line for a tender ticket? Seems ridiculous that you have to wait an hour + just to get on a tender. I've never waited that long to tender anywhere. The FTTF would be great but of course that is something that is extremely hard to get from what I've heard.

I've been to HMC 3 times, and is my favorite port of call so far. Never booked a cabana yet, but when we go there next year we plan on it. IF you want shade i suggest you rent beach chairs with the half clam shell. Not sure how many they have but they do sell out so make sure you go to the excursion desk early and reserve one. 2 chairs fit under one half shell and i believe it was $15. If you plan on buying the cheers drink package it does not work on the island. The bubble package does however. We also make a beach day out of HMC and i spend a lot of time in the water. If you want to get off the ship and onto the beach asap i suggest getting Faster To The Fun. If not you could be waiting in line to get off for a bit. lunch is provided on the island. It's buffet style with burgers, chicken, rice, veggies, and some salads.

I splurged and booked a cabana for our day at HMC. Can't wait!!!

We have FTTF also, but I've been told that excursions on the island always go on the first tender anyway it doesn't really make any difference in the end I guess. From what I've read we should receive something in our room with our excursion papers and telling us where to meet for the tender.

HMC is lovely. There's really nothing not to like. We found the buffet served there to be much better than other private cruise ship islands. :)

LuLu

We were there in January and I found something I didn't like - the weather!! Lol, so what does a girl do? Book another trip!! It is beautiful, but as much as I wanted to get in the water I just couldn't do it. Brrrrrrrrrr!!! We have FTTF and a cabana. I'm not sure if I will keep the cabana but wanted to grab it while it was available.

We were there in January and I found something I didn't like - the weather!! Lol, so what does a girl do? Book another trip!! It is beautiful, but as much as I wanted to get in the water I just couldn't do it. Brrrrrrrrrr!!! We have FTTF and a cabana. I'm not sure if I will keep the cabana but wanted to grab it while it was available.

Thanks for this post! People think I'm crazy when I say we don't care to book cruises to go there in January. HAL goes sometimes in January/February so saying it's DAM cold is legal. :D

LuLu

I've been to HMC 3 times, and is my favorite port of call so far. Never booked a cabana yet, but when we go there next year we plan on it. IF you want shade i suggest you rent beach chairs with the half clam shell. Not sure how many they have but they do sell out so make sure you go to the excursion desk early and reserve one. 2 chairs fit under one half shell and i believe it was $15. If you plan on buying the cheers drink package it does not work on the island. The bubble package does however. We also make a beach day out of HMC and i spend a lot of time in the water. If you want to get off the ship and onto the beach asap i suggest getting Faster To The Fun. If not you could be waiting in line to get off for a bit. lunch is provided on the island. It's buffet style with burgers, chicken, rice, veggies, and some salads.

I thought the beach chairs were complimentary, and only the clamshells, cabanas, & villas cost $.

I also heard that we shouldn't bring our towels from the ship because they have them for free usage at the beach. Can someone confirm if this is true?

Also, I asked this in another thread, but it was not really answered.....I rarely use bar service on board and stick to the free lemonade, ice tea, & water from the machines. Are these available on the island or should I plan on bringing some bottled water? I will be arriving by Carnival.

Thanks bunches.

I thought the beach chairs were complimentary, and only the clamshells, cabanas, & villas cost $.

I also heard that we shouldn't bring our towels from the ship because they have them for free usage at the beach. Can someone confirm if this is true?

Also, I asked this in another thread, but it was not really answered.....I rarely use bar service on board and stick to the free lemonade, ice tea, & water from the machines. Are these available on the island or should I plan on bringing some bottled water? I will be arriving by Carnival.

Thanks bunches.

Beach chairs are free, rest have a fee.

Bring your own towels. I hear they do supply if you rent a cabana or villa, 4 towels.

They had water and lemon aid at lunch, but I'm not sure about before. There was such a line we ate at the bar and bought a soda.

Beach chairs are free, rest have a fee.

Bring your own towels. I hear they do supply if you rent a cabana or villa, 4 towels.

They had water and lemon aid at lunch, but I'm not sure about before. There was such a line we ate at the bar and bought a soda.

Thanks so much for the info.

We were so happy we got the cabana. I believe we were in #11. We had privacy but were close enough to the bathrooms and food. Best $200 we spent on the cruise.

Here are some pictures!

078-1.jpg

077-1.jpg

009.jpg

Edited by hayesktrm

I have a villa booked for my cruise in May. Haven't been able to find a definitive answer all though I'm sure there is one somewhere. With the villa booked does my group get priority tender? Which villa is in the 'best' location? We want something close to the action but fairly private...best of both worlds lol.

I have a villa booked for my cruise in May. Haven't been able to find a definitive answer all though I'm sure there is one somewhere. With the villa booked does my group get priority tender? Which villa is in the 'best' location? We want something close to the action but fairly private...best of both worlds lol.

We had faster to the fun also, but we were told that we got the first tender when we booked our cabana so if the cabanas got priority, the villas definitely would.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just a note; the last time the kids and I went I booked a cabana and was told I would get priority tender. That didn't happen. We were over there pretty quickly and I'm not a complainer, but don't be surprised if you aren't on the first boat over. ;)

Have a blast! I'm in agreement; the cabana was the best money I spent on the cruise. WELL worth it and planning on doing it again our next trip!!

Have fun!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We rented a cabana and the beach is beautiful, but we were warned not to wait for the last tenders so we left cabana 2 hrs prior to last tender and stood in line in the white hot sun for an hour. Once we made it up to archway, about 150 people started forming a "2nd line" and crowded right in front of us! We stood in line for almost 40 more mins b/c half of them took our seats. Several of us told Carnival employees what was happening and they did nothing. It was awful. We loved the beach and cabana but not sure it's worth waiting in line for almost 2 hrs to get BACK on the ship. I was told by a platinum member that morning to stay in the cabana as late as possible, then go up to the bar and sit in the shade until the line dies down. Then hop on the last tender. They will not leave anyone on the island. I wish I had taken her advice. :(

We rented a cabana and the beach is beautiful, but we were warned not to wait for the last tenders so we left cabana 2 hrs prior to last tender and stood in line in the white hot sun for an hour. Once we made it up to archway, about 150 people started forming a "2nd line" and crowded right in front of us! We stood in line for almost 40 more mins b/c half of them took our seats. Several of us told Carnival employees what was happening and they did nothing. It was awful. We loved the beach and cabana but not sure it's worth waiting in line for almost 2 hrs to get BACK on the ship. I was told by a platinum member that morning to stay in the cabana as late as possible, then go up to the bar and sit in the shade until the line dies down. Then hop on the last tender. They will not leave anyone on the island. I wish I had taken her advice. :(

That is good advice. The same thing happened to us. We got so burned standing in the hot line. I wish we would have waited until the last tender also.

If you rent a cabana the tickets you get should say that you are to go to a certain place to meet for priority tender. You wait along with the diamond/platinum people. Last time they took the cabana people first (we are diamond/platinum as well) and it ticked several people off. All made the tender but some of my fellow diamond/plats were unhappy that they had to go in the back of that line. We have been 8 or 9 times with a cabana each time and will be there in September. Villas have the same perks as the cabanas.

We love HMC thus we go on a b2b each Fall to get there.