Please sign the petition for Carnival to bring back the reggae/calypso bands

ShanteS

I'm not doubting that you enjoyed the Serenity Deck on the Sunshine tremendously, tucked on a sun bed all the way forward on deck 14, but you're doing potential future cruisers a disservice by creating false expectations and saying that you can't hear ANYTHING coming from the main pool deck. I haven't been on the Sunshine yet, but I can read and hear, and the noise issue has been mentioned and documented on multiple reviews and videos from other people that have been there.

I'd rather have someone tell me that yes, there are parts of the Serenity deck that can get loud because of its proximity to the main pool deck, but that you can minimize it by escaping to the top part as far away from the main pool, instead of creating this image of absolute nirvana. It's deceiving. I'd rather go knowing what to really expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So you are calling me a liar then? I can only tell you my experience unlike many here who speak having no experience about cruising on or experiencing what they are being so negative about. Here are the facts. I was on serenity deck last week, heard no music or disturbances fro my subbed and loved every moment of it. It was exactly what it was advertised to be, serene.

From JH's FB page a few minutes ago:

Yesterday I posted two pieces about live music on Lido deck that received 800 comments between them and were read by over 50,000. The thoughts you posted here on this Facebook page requesting more live “Tropical Music” has now reached Gerry Cahill and all the senior beards who advised me today to request that you “stay tuned.”

:D :D :D :D :D :D That is so AMAZING!!! I'm so excited and I can't wait to see what they have planned!! Yay!!

So you are calling me a liar then?

:confused:

Uh, no. But other reviews and actual videos paint a less "serene" experience than what you encountered on your oversized sun bed tucked away on deck 14. You can call them the liars.

Because the Serenity Deck on the Sunshine is so big, seems like the experience will vary from one area to another. It would be like you having a great table at the MDR by the window and then writing that the entire MDR has wonderful ocean views. And that's the point that I was trying to make with my last post. Tell me that there are parts of the Serenity Deck that are quiet, but don't tell me that the entire place is absolutely quiet and that you can't hear anything coming from the main pool deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

:confused:

Uh, no. But other reviews and actual videos paint a less "serene" experience than what you encountered on your oversized sun bed tucked away on deck 14. You can call them the liars.

Because the Serenity Deck on the Sunshine is so big, seems like the experience will vary from one area to another. It would be like you having a great table at the MDR by the window and then writing that the entire MDR has wonderful ocean views. And that's the point that I was trying to make with my last post. Tell me that there are parts of the Serenity Deck that are quiet, but don't tell me that the entire place is absolutely quiet and that you can't hear anything coming from the main pool deck.

I agree with beerleader 100%. Anyone who writes a negative review on the Sunshine's serenity deck absolutley did not explore the whole area or never stepped foot on her. Yes you do hear the action of the lido deck on its 1st level. This section was the most popular by far and would fill up early or if you want to just listen to the waves and relax the upper 2 decks was the place to be. I think its by far the best serenity deck in the fleet. Many options and because of its size, places to sit or lay down were easier to come by.

Yes you do hear the action of the lido deck on its 1st level. This section was the most popular by far and would fill up early or if you want to just listen to the waves and relax the upper 2 decks was the place to be.

That's exactly my point. :D

So you are calling me a liar then? I can only tell you my experience unlike many here who speak having no experience about cruising on or experiencing what they are being so negative about. Here are the facts. I was on serenity deck last week, heard no music or disturbances fro my subbed and loved every moment of it. It was exactly what it was advertised to be, serene.

I'm unsure what you're saying. Most people complain here on their reviews about how loud and intrusive the music is as they sit around the serenity pool area. That is the center and draw of that section.

Hello fellow cruise addicts! I hope everyone is having a fantastic day and staying warm (for those of us in areas with brutal weather). A fellow cruiser's post in a FB cruisers group got some of us talking about how much we miss hearing the live reggae/calypso bands on Lido deck and it brought to my attention again how many of us miss that live entertainment on Lido and how many of us would prefer it over the awfully loud music the DJ plays (which is also what he plays in the club).

Anyway, I've seen and participated in the polls here about this subject, I've seen people ask John Heald about it, and I've seen plenty of people post about it on other forums and Carnival's FB/Twitter pages and nothing is being done. So, I've decided to create a petition. I figure if they see hundreds (and hopefully eventually thousands) of signatures all in one place they'll have no choice but to make it happen.

Here's the link, please sign it and pass it along to your friends and have them sign it as well:

https://www.change.org/petitions/carnival-cruise-lines-bring-back-the-live-steel-drum-reggae-bands#

Since signing the petition, I've been inundated with emails!!!! Can't get it to unsubscribe. Extremely annoying. Thinking of starting a petition...

It looks like the beards are listening to us according to John's H's Facebook page

Codes

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

cfi_countdown.php?vars=1396139400,-8,ca_celebrity,cruising%20the%20Celebrity%20Century

Yes, it does appear that way. However, I hope they are really trying to bring them back instead of just saying they are (working on it). The petition is up to 228 signatures now.

Yes, it does appear that way. However, I hope they are really trying to bring them back instead of just saying they are (working on it). The petition is up to 228 signatures now.

I'm sorry to be pessimistic, but prior to my Dream cruise last year, John had written about this and asked and had overwhelming response. He said then that the beards were listening and to stay tuned also. Nothing ever happened, apparently. I know we got loud dj music on our cruise. Sorry I think if it cost them money then the beards will listen but not act.

:D :D :D :D :D :D That is so AMAZING!!! I'm so excited and I can't wait to see what they have planned!! Yay!!

This is what's going to happen:

Announcing NEW Carnival LIVE lineup!

Reggae Band: $25pp

Socca Band: $20pp

Steel Drum Band: $30pp

Book now! Space is limited!

From JH's FB page a few minutes ago:

Yesterday I posted two pieces about live music on Lido deck that received 800 comments between them and were read by over 50,000. The thoughts you posted here on this Facebook page requesting more live “Tropical Music” has now reached Gerry Cahill and all the senior beards who advised me today to request that you “stay tuned.”

I so hope its true......

Prior to John Herald's FB post telling us to "Stay tuned", John responded to Peter__________ post about the cruise critic petition to bring back the steel drum bands. In John's Feb 27 response he states that at the end of March they are going to be discussing other alternatives to the one dimensional steel drum bands such as bands that can play everything from rock, pop, country and calypso. https://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald

This post makes me wonder what the beards are thinking. First I would like to say that I love to listen to live music. I have been on 26 cruises and I am Platinum on Carnival. Over the years I have heard some good bands/singers and well let's just say some not so good. Clearly, from my experiences Carnival sometimes has a hard time finding good talent. Otherwise, all the bands would be great. How does Carnival think they can find bands that can play all genres well, when they have such a hard time finding talent that can play only one type of music.

BRING BACK THE STEEL DRUM BANDS

...How does Carnival think they can find bands that can play all genres well, when they have such a hard time finding talent that can play only one type of music.

BRING BACK THE STEEL DRUM BANDS

This is possible. I was on Freedom of the Seas a few weeks ago and this is exactly what they had. The band was a group from Jamaica (Roots Vibration) who played everything from old school Bob Marley to new school Chronixx on the lido deck. When they played in the lounge later in the evening they played every genre you could imagine. Reggae, pop, rock, country, etc. I even recall some older couples dancing to a little Frank Sanatra. There was another group also from Jamaica who played multiple genres as well. There was quite a bit of ballroom type dancing in the lounge where they played.

Both groups played very well. I love live music but for me it has to be "quality" music and I got that from both groups. They had a great orchestra as well. That's one of the things I enjoy on Royal that I miss tremendously on Carnival. Hopefully they'll bring "quality" live music back.

This is possible. I was on Freedom of the Seas a few weeks ago and this is exactly what they had. I love live music but for me it has to be "quality" music and I got that from both groups. They had a great orchestra as well. That's one of the things I enjoy on Royal that I miss tremendously on Carnival. Hopefully they'll bring "quality" live music back.

It's possible. But there's a huge difference between Royal and Carnival. Royal charges more and allocates more towards entertainment, including better quality bands. That's their "claim to fame"; entertainment that "wows" you.

Unfortunately for those discerning cruisers who appreciate quality, Carnival will sacrifice some of that quality and variety in order to keep prices low, which is why this thread even exists. Quality entertainment and budget prices don't quite go hand in hand.

So what's going to happen? Either Carnival execs will say "Nah, that costs too much, lets just keep the DJ", or they'll say "Let's bring the band back, but let's cut something somewhere else....quietly".

I don't even care if its a DJ ....give us Calypso Reggae somewhere on the boat on a Caribbean cruise....keep the LOUD scream TV at main pool and give us island music at the AFT pools.

Sounds good to me! I like Carribean music on a Carribean cruise. There are more than just 3 Bob Marley songs though, so a variety would be nice.

Signed and good on you for starting it!!! If enough people stand up and voice their opinion, they will indeed listen!!

These are their customers, it would be ridiculous to not listen.

Over the last few years, the entertainment at Carnival has been slashed to a point where it's almost a non event.

I still enjoy my cruises on Carnival but the enjoyment is fading as the entertainment is important to me.

It's possible. But there's a huge difference between Royal and Carnival.

Royal charges more and allocates more towards entertainment, including better quality bands.

That's their "claim to fame"; entertainment that "wows" you.

Unfortunately for those discerning cruisers who appreciate quality,

Carnival will sacrifice some of that quality and variety in order to keep prices low,

which is why this thread even exists.

Quality entertainment and budget prices don't quite go hand in hand.

So what's going to happen?

Either Carnival execs will say "Nah, that costs too much, lets just keep the DJ",

- or they'll say "Let's bring the band back, but let's cut something somewhere else....quietly".

Ah...economic reality! :)

Unfortunately that sort off thing doesn't go down well on this board

where we want all of the plusses but none of the minuses!

Edited by Aplmac

This is possible. I was on Freedom of the Seas a few weeks ago and this is exactly what they had. The band was a group from Jamaica (Roots Vibration) who played everything from old school Bob Marley to new school Chronixx on the lido deck. When they played in the lounge later in the evening they played every genre you could imagine. Reggae, pop, rock, country, etc. I even recall some older couples dancing to a little Frank Sanatra. There was another group also from Jamaica who played multiple genres as well. There was quite a bit of ballroom type dancing in the lounge where they played.

Both groups played very well. I love live music but for me it has to be "quality" music and I got that from both groups. They had a great orchestra as well. That's one of the things I enjoy on Royal that I miss tremendously on Carnival. Hopefully they'll bring "quality" live music back.

This is great news for me!!!! I have the Freedom booked for Sept 27 and was going to cancel if we liked Celebrity next month .....now I'm hearing this there's no way we'll cancel....we I love the Carnival night life......Did that actually play on the main pool deck, they actually turned off the LOAD SCREAM TV....that alone is music to my ears......