No dress up

We are seasoned cruisers but we've been pretty exclusive to NCL. Their policy of "dress up or not" suited (pardon the pun) my husband to a tee (another bad pun!)

When I was making my reservation with RCI the operator mentioned formal night and I asked about it - restrictions etc. Her response? "We know you are on vacaction - we want you to enjoy yourself - as long as you dress nicely there is no problem - please do not give it a second thought."

Polo shirts and Dockers for my husband and resort casual for me (no jeans - but that is just my preference). He does wear a blue blazer while we travel - so in case there is something extra special he has something to throw on. For women, it's much easier by adding on accessories - scarfs etc.

Hope this helps.

Exactly.

There is this weird line in the sand (but only online, oddly)... "Do you wear formal wear? NO? Then you are some inbred mouth-breathing fool! I see you are sneaking in without pants, wearing just your dirty underwear and a smelly tank top! You are wearing a ball cap and have food on your face! Is that a Duck Dynasty tattoo on your cheek? YOU HEATHEN!"

That has to be one of the funniest things Ive ever read on here :D Thanks for the belly laugh this morning :p

We are definitely not dress up people. I hate dresses...don't wear heals...an my husband boycotted ties years ago. We are not foodies but enjoy decent food. Can we still get decent food on the ship?

Absolutely the windjammer is a great place a lot of frequent cruisers only eat in the windjammer.

No where did I say it made me feel superior, nor was I being smug about it. I just enjoy it on a personal level. The rest is your inference.

I'll ignore the personal insult, which I haven't done to you and won't return.

Your repeated characterization of those who choose to dress according to RCI's suggested dress for the formal nights as "the Geriatric Prom" is every bit as insulting as anything he or anyone else has said to you.

When I was making my reservation with RCI the operator mentioned formal night and I asked about it - restrictions etc. Her response? "We know you are on vacaction - we want you to enjoy yourself - as long as you dress nicely there is no problem - please do not give it a second thought."

Done and done - right from the horse's mouth.

This should put an end to what constitutes "respect", "etiquette", and so forth in the MDR. Unfortunately, there will inevitably still be some on this board who will insist on foisting their personal opinions on the unsuspecting masses. Sad.

Your repeated characterization of those who choose to dress according to RCI's suggested dress for the formal nights as "the Geriatric Prom" is every bit as insulting as anything he or anyone else has said to you.

Another shouting match with a fellow poster. Imagine that. :rolleyes:

Done and done - right from the horse's mouth.

This should put an end to what constitutes "respect", "etiquette", and so forth in the MDR. .

Meh, the waiters have been saying to basically come as you are on formal night for quiet a few years now and it hasnt changed a thing here.

Edited by ryano

Right on. There are people on this board who like to poke and jab others, but when they get jabbed back, it's suddenly not acceptable. If they hand it out, they should be prepared to receive it back.

We are seasoned cruisers but we've been pretty exclusive to NCL. Their policy of "dress up or not" suited (pardon the pun) my husband to a tee (another bad pun!)

Polo shirts and Dockers for my husband and resort casual for me (no jeans - but that is just my preference). He does wear a blue blazer while we travel - so in case there is something extra special he has something to throw on. For women, it's much easier by adding on accessories - scarfs etc.

Hope this helps.

It's been my experience that despite different wording for dress codes (suggested attire vs. dress up or not), from a staff perspective, both NCL and RCI have the same policy on MDR minimum dress. I personally saw more tuxes/suits/jackets on RCI than on NCL (but I only have one NCL cruise to compare with) if you're actually concerned with the "norm", but on each line people had great dinners and were 99% of the time smartly/neatly dressed each night.

Unfortunately, there will inevitably still be some on this board who will insist on foisting their personal opinions on the unsuspecting masses. Sad.

??? :confused: How could so many people have totally misconstrued the meaning of the word "forum," thinking it implies a place where "personal opinions" are welcome and exchanged?

Somehow I missed the memo that our use of Cruise Critic should be restricted solely to dissemination of irrefutable facts. My apologies. :(

??? :confused: How could so many people have totally misconstrued the meaning of the word "forum," thinking it implies a place where "personal opinions" are welcome and exchanged?

Somehow I missed the memo that our use of Cruise Critic should be restricted solely to dissemination of irrefutable facts. My apologies. :(

Relax. I enjoy considering the opinions of others, but not to the extent that their opnions are to be taken as gospel. The "dress code" debate is a prime example: some feel anything less than a tux or gown (as the case may be) is unacceptable on formal night. Others want to wear "dress shorts" ala Disney Cruise Line. Neither viewpoint is wrong; each is valid.

The problem arises when an individual insists that his way is right and does not allow any latitude from his/her way of thinking. Worse yet, there are some who get rather defensive when his viewpoints are not universally accepted. This is wrong, and is where the line should be clearly drawn.

This debate will never end until we all decide to adopt the well-worn "live-and-let-live" attitude. Who cares what people wear in the MDR. If RCI allows it, then that's the end of it, whether it meets one's own personal standard or not.

I hope I've explained myself clearly.

We sailed the Oasis this past December and our formal night dress was slacks, nice shirt and sport jacket, ladies had skirts, nice tops or sun dresses (I think that's what they are called) . We had a group two tables away from us that were dressed to the "nines", the loudest most obnoxious group we have ever encountered in the MDR. It was a table of ten (5 couples) and I think they were thoroughly enjoying their drink package.

So who ruined whose dining experience?

Having a little chuckle when I see this is a lot more polite than what some folks seem to think about people who don't wear formal attire. There have been some seriously nasty comments in these types of threads. Seriously.

I'm pretty sure Jack Lalanne is dead. Unless I'm wrong, I'm not that worried.

On a more serious note, this is a sad comment. It's not like I said that I run up and push old people down the stairs or something. I said I find humor in people pretending to be at the prom. I didn't say they don't have the right, because I believe they should have an awesome time on their cruise. I just think it's a bit funny, like cosplay. Doesn't mean the people participating aren't having the time of the life... just it's fun to watch. I don't bully them, publicly shame them, post mean photos of them on the internet, or anything. I just chuckle and smile... oh and I use the term Geriatric Prom® with no anger, meanness or spite behind it.

It is always a mistake to read these posts and it is my fault I did.

I found the geriatric promster comment offensive because these older people were doing no harm to anyone. People often know when someone is making fun of them, also. They were not pretending to go to the prom, they were going to dinner dressed in a way they thought was appropriate. They probably never dreamed someone would be watching them to make fun of them.

One thing that happens to all us us, if we are lucky, is that we get old in years, Poncho1973.

I'm glad I read these. I'll be on Grandeur of the Seas in September. This will be my first cruise. I was a little intimidated by "formal night". I don't mind dressing up, in sundresses, etc, but dressing like a movie star isn't really my style. Good to know dressing "nice" will be acceptable.

Right on. There are people on this board who like to poke and jab others, but when they get jabbed back, it's suddenly not acceptable. If they hand it out, they should be prepared to receive it back.

You missed that one by a country mile. Maybe 3.

I'm glad I read these. I'll be on Grandeur of the Seas in September. This will be my first cruise. I was a little intimidated by "formal night". I don't mind dressing up, in sundresses, etc, but dressing like a movie star isn't really my style. Good to know dressing "nice" will be acceptable.

have fun and enjoy.

Considering my last 3 cruises (one NCL Breakaway, one CCL Breeze, one RCCL Allure of the Seas), dress in the MDRs on all were more similar than different. I saw a few tuxes on CCL's Breeze and RCCL's AOS, but not many). Most were dressed in dress slacks or khakis and a polo or button down shirt. With females, again a handful in formal dresses, but most were in pants suits and "sun" dresses. I don't think I've ever seen any shorts, tank tops (except on a few females), pajamas, hats, etc ever...even on non-"dress up nights".

While I didn't see any tuxes on NCL's Breakaway, the dress was fairly similar to what I saw on both the Allure and Breeze.

I can't understand all of this "fuss" about how someone else dresses? Seriously, if you want to dress up, please do. It won't bother me one iota. Same goes if you don't. It won't make my meal taste any differently. It doesn't affect the service I've received, not even a little bit.

If there's one caveat I'll offer up, and this is just a personal observation, the folks who dress in gowns or tuxes that I've sat with at my table have tended to be much more critical of others, and more negative in general. Didn't matter to me how they felt, except I did tend to tune them out of my conversations and kept my interaction with them to a minimum.

Don't worry about it. Dress is only an issue on these boards, never on the ships. Dress is so varied on every night that you will fit right in. Enjoy your cruise, the first one is really special.

Thank you. I'm a little nervous. I'm sure I will have a blast!

Don't worry about it. Dress is only an issue on these boards, never on the ships. Dress is so varied on every night that you will fit right in. Enjoy your cruise, the first one is really special.

If there's one caveat I'll offer up, and this is just a personal observation, the folks who dress in gowns or tuxes that I've sat with at my table have tended to be much more critical of others, and more negative in general.

We have been fortunate, and have never noticed this in all of our cruises, on 6 different lines.