Worried about MSC Divina's Marketing Position

jchipgcs

Thanks :) as frequent carnival cruisers, we will have a great time... Because a vacation is not based on who wears what or how much money they do do not make...it's about relaxing and getting away. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree!

Think I any stand what resstation is trying to say and it's not what alot of us flame him for.

Thank you. Very hard to read intent in the written word. And, I'm a "her". Happy wife and mom. :)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forums mobile app

That's how I read it. Quite honestly, the OP should just go to a fancy all inclusive resort that us mere mortals cannot attain.

A cruise attracts all ways of life. Part of the fun of a cruise is to enjoy and chat with the people around you...to listen to their stories. Everybody has a story, but you believe that their story is unimportant or too low for you. I grew up in a rural town where it is was common for people to IDE horses through town. My mom is a cook and my dad was a truck driver, however, they instilled respect for our fellow human beings and more manners than children of $200 million men. (Yes, I have several rich friends.)

I hope you don't choose the Divina. We will be on it on 18 October for our honeymoon. Just want to give you a warning to steer away from us in our cheap flip flops, old navy clothing, and our drink package. We are going to eat to our hearts content, chat up our room steward, and enjoy our neighbors.

Well, your screen name sort of sums it all up for us. Regardless, I have no shame in saying I prefer to vacation with people of similar backgrounds, interests, even financial positions. Do we expect, Sophia Lorien, while in town in your community to shack up at the Best Western? If she doesn't, is she a snob?

FYI, to play to you assumption, I'm at that exact resort you said I should be at......right this minute. Happy to share photos if you need them to complain about.

BTW, I grew up vacationing at the KOA campground and enjoying a birthday milkshake at the Howard Johnson's. Sorry for my "progress". I guess the time I spend every week doing community work for the blind, disabled soldiers and children from abusive families doesn't count.....cause I'm a snob.

I this thread when the wrong way fast !!!!

Seriously guys chill out !!!

Trying to change people's mind or view on social equality in cruise forum is quite impossible (or so I think)

To get back on topic off MSC marketing positioning I find that they have way to big net.

Its like they don't know who they after ....

I this thread when the wrong way fast !!!!

Seriously guys chill out !!!

Trying to change people's mind or view on social equality in cruise forum is quite impossible (or so I think)

To get back on topic off MSC marketing positioning I find that they have way to big net.

Its like they don't know who they after ....

Thanks Risoto! As the original bad "OP". My original intent was to see what MSC was planning as their long range plans now. They launched as an "upscale" line competing with Celebrity, HAL, etc.....That's what their US VP said in an interview. I booked based on that statement even though there were negative comments looming from past cruisers. I booked almost a year ago so color me naive but........ I'm going on and seeing for myself. I want them to be upscale AND affordable and put the other lines pants on fire.

Thanks Risoto! As the original bad "OP". My original intent was to see what MSC was planning as their long range plans now. They launched as an "upscale" line competing with Celebrity, HAL, etc.....That's what their US VP said in an interview. I booked based on that statement even though there were negative comments looming from past cruisers. I booked almost a year ago so color me naive but........ I'm going on and seeing for myself. I want them to be upscale AND affordable and put the other lines pants on fire.

Deciding on which cruise line, what ship to take is a personal decision based on what you are looking for at that moment!

In an earlier post I wrote about some upscale European River Cruises where the cruisers were more to what you said you were looking for! There was an open bar, but no one was drunk, there were no hairy men contests, etc..

My comment to the couple getting married about others was because some wanted to get into a MDR dress code debate which has been argued a million times already, and no one is going to change anyone's opinion, and people will only get angry!

Everyone has a different idea of what they want for a vacation, and a cruise! We have no right to force our desires onto others, cause we all look for cruises we want, or would feel comfortable on! So I understand your thread, but it can turn ugly very easily because personal desires for a cruise are so varied!

I will not cruise on MSC until May, and I know you will have already cruised on the Divina by then, so I look forward to your review!

My opinion (without yet being on the Divina), and only my opinion, is the Divina is going to be marketed as a Mediterranean style Princess/RCL, once they've built up the American cruising base! That will take time, and low fares to get people to try out the new concept! Until then I will enjoy the lower cruise prices, and pick up inexpensive loyalty club cruise points!

But however it turns out on your cruise, have the best time you can!

Well, your screen name sort of sums it all up for us. Regardless, I have no shame in saying I prefer to vacation with people of similar backgrounds, interests, even financial positions. Do we expect, Sophia Lorien, while in town in your community to shack up at the Best Western? If she doesn't, is she a snob?

FYI, to play to you assumption, I'm at that exact resort you said I should be at......right this minute. Happy to share photos if you need them to complain about.

BTW, I grew up vacationing at the KOA campground and enjoying a birthday milkshake at the Howard Johnson's. Sorry for my "progress". I guess the time I spend every week doing community work for the blind, disabled soldiers and children from abusive families doesn't count.....cause I'm a snob.

Lol, maybe we should pick on the guy with the Russian screen name and ask him if he's going to invade Miami on the cruise, if you're that literal about screen names? Also, yes, I do animal rescues on a part time basis. I have a masters degree in social work and am a program director-was a director by the time I was 28 for a specialized military mental health program...can't judge a person by their clothes or screen name.

Lol, maybe we should pick on the guy with the Russian screen name and ask him if he's going to invade Miami on the cruise, if you're that literal about screen names? Also, yes, I do animal rescues on a part time basis. I have a masters degree in social work and am a program director-was a director by the time I was 28 for a specialized military mental health program...can't judge a person by their clothes or screen name.

LOL, I have 'invaded' Miami many times for cruises, its a beautiful cruise out of the port!

And there is a large Russian/American community in the general Miami area!:D

Well said!

Just to set the record straight regarding screen names, I am not now, nor have I ever been, a Yankee first baseman or Dodger manager.

I, however, have been known to be a bit of a cow sometimes. :p

I don't get this thread, really. How can someone claim to do community work but at the same time worry about mixing with some groups of people? :rolleyes:

The only real situation in which you might be "forced" to mix with other people is in the MDR, and if you have a YC cabin you shouldn't have that problem.

I don't like sharing a table with other people, I admit that. But I don't care if the person next to me in the Theatre or by the pool deck belongs to another "financial position group".

If you just want to find some kind of people wherever you go, then just choose a very expensive cruise line. The solution is quite easy.

Anyway, other people don't tolerate other nationalities passengers, and also need the ship to be fully adapted to their culture, which is about the same.

The answer, unfortunately, is that the human race has not evolved as quickly as technology.

From the shrew that hasn't worked a day in her life looking down at a waiter thinking he hasn't worked hard enough to make something of himself, to the clod that shows up for a public dinner with others wearing a bathrobe. Both are equally non-evolved, and both will live their lives having never interacted with some very warm & wonderful human beings because of their ethnicity/religion/skin color/economic status.

The answer, unfortunately, is that the human race has not evolved as quickly as technology.

From the shrew that hasn't worked a day in her life looking down at a waiter thinking he hasn't worked hard enough to make something of himself, to the clod that shows up for a public dinner with others wearing a bathrobe. Both are equally non-evolved, and both will live their lives having never interacted with some very warm & wonderful human beings because of their ethnicity/religion/skin color/economic status.

Hear, hear.

Don't forget nationality Matt! Xenophobia is alive and well unfortunately.

I do not care who I cruise with. I don't even care who my table mates are. I know every single cruise I've been on I have got rip-roaringly drunk with table mates I didn't know from Adam when I boarded. In two weeks time that streak will continue when I'm having a whale of a time with the 30 odd members of our roll call and any others that are passing and want to join in.

In two weeks time that streak will continue when I'm having a whale of a time with the 30 odd members of our roll call and any others that are passing and want to join in.

Oh yes!

Well said

In two weeks time that streak will continue when I'm having a whale of a time with the 30 odd members of our roll call and any others that are passing and want to join in.

Can't wait! Last full week at work......getting so excited.

Just call me Clark Griswold.

Sorry, that's too cryptic for me first thing in the morning.

Cortados are a favourite of mine and only €0.90 in most places in Spain but I don't the "baristas" faff around so much,

You do realize your comment is a bit condescending too! 'A clod in a bathrobe at dinner? Non-evolved'!

Just read this whole thread. After several years hiatus, I am booked on b2b cruises aboard Divina. The super low sale prices is what grabbed me. I have been wanting to do a cruise for the last year or so but as a solo cruiser, the pricing for us solos has turned me to land vacations. With these low low prices, I decided to give MSC a try. Can I afford a more high end cruiseline? Sure can but I am pretty sure I would be bored out of my skull by them "higher end" folks who are sooooo very worried about who is sitting next to them and what people they don't know and do not have to speak to are wearing. Who cares what someone 4 dining tables away from you is wearing. How can someone care about that.

When I was a frequent cruiser (having been on 19 or so cruises), my preference usually was Carnival bc of (a) price (b) itineraries and most important © the friendly down to earth fellow passengers. I would rather cruise on a ship full of fun-loving, blue collar, regular folks and just interact with them as my mood leads me than to be aboard a stuffed shirt cruise full of folks who have spent a few pennies more (which most of us have) so that they can sit around and quietly judge other people. I know rip roaring drunk and loud out of control children can be annoying but most of these ships do not allow such negative behavior to completely take over the ship. I am not kid friendly. But I am pleasant and tolerant towards parents bc I know that when I have had enough of little Courtney's screams and tantrums, I can just get up and move to a more quiet area of the ship.

With that said, I hope never to run into the OP and if I do, I am sure I will never notice him/her as she is sits quietly with a disapproving frown while the common folks are having a blast. I would rather sit with Honey Boo Boo for a bit and be entertained by their antics while I enjoy lunch. When it is time to read or nap, I can just quietly and politely excuse myself, thank them for their company and go find a more tame spot to mellow out. It is not that hard.

But that is just me.

But that is just me.

Bahahaha! You just said exactly what the OP said except it was directed at a different group of people. Perfect. This is like tennis, back forth back forth.

Who cares is right! I'm sailing on Saturday!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forums mobile app

Some people just want to be on a boat. Some people are looking for an elevated experience.

The cruise industry is not utopia. One person's idea of a good cruise is vastly different from another's. So, there's no point in thinking people who like to party on the cheap are lesser humans than those who want to enjoy some upscale sophistication. There is room for, and ships for every taste.

My initial question in all of this was.....will the low low prices make MSC more of a Carnival competitor or will they land as a more upscale brand which is what their CEO said in Orlando Sentinel article. Specifically, the article said. "Sasso says MSC lines up with Celebrity, Princess and other higher-end cruise brands, the MSC option is unique to North America." You can read the entire article here: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2014-02-28/travel/fl-msc-divina-review-20140228_1_msc-divina-msc-poesia-msc-yacht-club

Also he clarified the pricing position in a Miami Herald article saying....."How will the MSC Divina compete with the large Caribbean fleet and better-known brands? Price, Sasso said. “Because we are not known, our prices are also under what it’s worth. … When you’re the new kid on the block, you keep the prices a little lower. It’s a best-value proposition.” You can read that entire article here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/12/07/3799226/msc-divina-brings-its-european.html

So, everyone who wants to make this into "The OP thinks he's better than other people"......get a grip. You're wasting your time trying to show everyone how progressive you are because you are willing to hang out with "blue collar" types. I don't care what you're willing to do.