Worried about MSC Divina's Marketing Position

jchipgcs

jchipgcs, been wondering the samething. Lets just get on are Divina crusie b/4 it happens.

Hahaha. Agreed. I'm going next month. But word won't take long to get out. Just got another email with $249 for a weeks long cruise from MSC. That's $35.57 per day including your cabin, food and entertainment. Can't even get that at the Motel 6.

Just read this whole thread. After several years hiatus, I am booked on b2b cruises aboard Divina. The super low sale prices is what grabbed me. I have been wanting to do a cruise for the last year or so but as a solo cruiser, the pricing for us solos has turned me to land vacations. With these low low prices, I decided to give MSC a try. Can I afford a more high end cruiseline? Sure can but I am pretty sure I would be bored out of my skull by them "higher end" folks who are sooooo very worried about who is sitting next to them and what people they don't know and do not have to speak to are wearing. Who cares what someone 4 dining tables away from you is wearing. How can someone care about that.

When I was a frequent cruiser (having been on 19 or so cruises), my preference usually was Carnival bc of (a) price (b) itineraries and most important © the friendly down to earth fellow passengers. I would rather cruise on a ship full of fun-loving, blue collar, regular folks and just interact with them as my mood leads me than to be aboard a stuffed shirt cruise full of folks who have spent a few pennies more (which most of us have) so that they can sit around and quietly judge other people. I know rip roaring drunk and loud out of control children can be annoying but most of these ships do not allow such negative behavior to completely take over the ship. I am not kid friendly. But I am pleasant and tolerant towards parents bc I know that when I have had enough of little Courtney's screams and tantrums, I can just get up and move to a more quiet area of the ship.

With that said, I hope never to run into the OP and if I do, I am sure I will never notice him/her as she is sits quietly with a disapproving frown while the common folks are having a blast. I would rather sit with Honey Boo Boo for a bit and be entertained by their antics while I enjoy lunch. When it is time to read or nap, I can just quietly and politely excuse myself, thank them for their company and go find a more tame spot to mellow out. It is not that hard.

But that is just me.

Have a great cruise, and write a review!:D

....The super low sale prices is what grabbed me.....But that is just me.

Please, let's not make this a class war. We are a family on a "beer budget" and are grateful that MSC lets kids sail free. But, we respect the dress code, and our kids (if they still wore diapers) would not swim in the pools, like so many 'honey boo boos' do. MSC needs to enforce the rules, or they will become another CCL. It's not about class warfare, it's about manners and common decency...btw, what is so hard about wearing a jacket to dinner?

The funny thing about this subject is that cruisers are just "tolerated" on most of the Caribbean ports. They are somewhat looked down on as "lesser" compared to the vactioners who stay on any particular island for days. When I first started to do land vacations, it was an eye opener to learn that most locals did not view cruisers as such a great lot and how the locals and land vacationers viewed cruisers. Doesn't matter the ship or the cruiseline.

If a person is really concerned about the caliber of their fellow passenger being of a specific element, it would behoove them to fork over really big bucks and grab one of those ultra luxurious cruiseships or charter a private yacht. I know people who cruise on Celebrity, Holland, etc. and I would not consider them of any better pedigree than many of the people who cruise the other major lines. Not by far.

With the low low prices, it can be expected that there will be passengers who would not normally select MSC (including me). Most will be a great addition to their fellow passengers vacation experience but there may be a few that will be a bit taxing.

I am cruising b/c of the low cost. I will dress appropriately for all ship functions, will not get drunk and sloppy in the middle of the day (maybe in the disco at night), am not overly loud or obnoxious and will engage in interesting convo with other passengers in a friendly non-threatening manner. I suggest we all concentrate on our upcoming cruise, embrace the privilege to vacation and just go with the flow.

It is all gonna be o.k. :)

Please, let's not make this a class war. We are a family on a "beer budget" and are grateful that MSC lets kids sail free. But, we respect the dress code, and our kids (if they still wore diapers) would not swim in the pools, like so many 'honey boo boos' do. MSC needs to enforce the rules, or they will become another CCL. It's not about class warfare, it's about manners and common decency...btw, what is so hard about wearing a jacket to dinner?

Enjoy your cruise, look forward to your review!

But class warfare is no better then dress warfare! What you think is appropriate may be more, or less then others, that's why most cruise lines, not all, say 'suggested', not 'required'!

What's so hard about anything 'you' feel is right', nothing, but you idea for manners and decency might be different then others!

There's an old saying that I feel is important to this thread, and to the people who venture into the MDR dress debate that's never settled, I'll put it into my words, 'don't judge others unless you're prepared to be judged'! Or 'if you want someone to accept you, then you should accept them'!

And no I'm no preacher, and certainly don't want to sound like one!

Have fun on your cruise!

Funny reading this and how people make it class or snobby or money. I say it is rules.

If the Dress code is a rule it should be enforced, carnivals dress code allows jeans, shorts, t shirts and such at dinner. When I cruise carnival I wear a jacket and tie on formal nights but I don't care what anyone else wears. On other nights I might wear shorts just to be comfortable.

I was attracted to MSC because of a more upscale dress code. Just because they are trying to attract people to there line with lower prices why should the dress code be lowered or changed? They offer a "european" style of cruising not an "american" style. If its formal night and there code says Tie required then I will expect everyone to have a tie. I don't expect someone to say "I paid for a cruise and will wear what I want" Read the rules, if you don't like them then cruise with a line that allows the attire you wish to wear.

Of course this is only my opinion and if MSC changes there dress code then I will still cruise them, although I will hope they will still keep the laid back out of my face sales for drinks and the like.

Just so you know the daily does say jeans are allowed. I just looked at the ones I have.

Tank tops, bikini, bathrobes,and bare feet in any restaurants or buffet areas are not permitted, No shorts in restaurants for dinner.

Also suggested does not mean required. It does not say not-permitted like above.

So they laxed the rules for jeans here in the US. Whats the big deal. Formal nights are old and need to be updated to todays times, things change and these days are not the same as Titanic days. I only care that you don't have in wifebeaters and ripped up clothing and your properly cleaned and using deodorant. :)

Funny reading this and how people make it class or snobby or money. I say it is rules.

If the Dress code is a rule it should be enforced, carnivals dress code allows jeans, shorts, t shirts and such at dinner. When I cruise carnival I wear a jacket and tie on formal nights but I don't care what anyone else wears. On other nights I might wear shorts just to be comfortable.

I was attracted to MSC because of a more upscale dress code. Just because they are trying to attract people to there line with lower prices why should the dress code be lowered or changed? They offer a "european" style of cruising not an "american" style. If its formal night and there code says Tie required then I will expect everyone to have a tie. I don't expect someone to say "I paid for a cruise and will wear what I want" Read the rules, if you don't like them then cruise with a line that allows the attire you wish to wear.

Of course this is only my opinion and if MSC changes there dress code then I will still cruise them, although I will hope they will still keep the laid back out of my face sales for drinks and the like.

Don't know if the Dress code was changed, lowered?!

The MSC USA site says,,,

'you may', 'we suggest', and its 'advisable', the only things that are not permitted are,,,

'After 6:00pm, jeans, t-shirts, shorts, and bare feet are not permitted in the ships' public areas.':eek:

(Now I'll be willing to bet that in the buffet at night there will be jeans, shorts and t-shirts!)

MSC USA makes recommendations and suggestions! Their own words!

I wear a jacket to dinner in the MDR, but if you don't, you're still welcome at my table especially if you're enjoyable to talk to!:D

Edited by Russian Bear

OP,

I strongly suggest that you readjust your extremely inaccurate perception of cruisers who my not have the ability to afford the type of vacation that you, I, and others may be able to. I have seen people on all sides of the economic spectrum act like "honey boo boo types", it is certainly nothing exclusive to persons belonging too lower economic statuses.With that said, you certainly have the right to determine what's right for you in a vacation, however I strongly suggest you don't judge and disparage certain people who don't fit your mold in the process of doing so.

OP,

I strongly suggest that you readjust your extremely inaccurate perception of cruisers who my not have the ability to afford the type of vacation that you, I, and others may be able to. I have seen people on all sides of the economic spectrum act like "honey boo boo types", it is certainly nothing exclusive to persons belonging too lower economic statuses.With that said, you certainly have the right to determine what's right for you in a vacation, however I strongly suggest you don't judge and disparage certain people who don't fit your mold in the process of doing so.

I don't need any suggestions. I asked a question that I knew could bring out the self righteous, and it did. But being prepared for that ahead of time, I'll just focus on the people who actually answered the question and not those who'd prefer to tell me what they think of me personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by jchipgcs

If the Dress code is a rule it should be enforced......Read the rules, if you don't like them then cruise with a line that allows the attire you wish to wear....

Thank you, well said. Some would advise others to break the rules, or "get away with" improper dress. While Divina is a tropical sailing, and dress is somewhat relaxed, dressing for dinner in the MDR should remain a tradition. There is so much good food at the buffet, I just don't understand why someone needs to break the rules at dinner in the MDR.

Thank you, well said. Some would advise others to break the rules, or "get away with" improper dress. While Divina is a tropical sailing, and dress is somewhat relaxed, dressing for dinner in the MDR should remain a tradition. There is so much good food at the buffet, I just don't understand why someone needs to break the rules at dinner in the MDR.

'why someone needs to break the rules at dinner in the MDR???

Are you talking about the Divina or in general?

The so called 'rules' the poster you responded to 'are not' the rules on the Divina as was pointed out!

As was stated, the MSC 'rules' are suggestions, not requirements on the Divina!

Other lines have requirements that may better suit your MDR dress desires!

As far as your view of what the rules 'should' be, I will not debate you, or anyone who feels the opposite way you do because everyone on Cruise Critic has the right to their views!

The MDR dress debate will never be solved, only argued on these forums! Its also apparent that most of the Cruise industry is moving towards relaxing the 'rules' on MDR dress! That will make some happy, and some unhappy!

My suggestion to those unhappy with the cruise industry trend to relaxing the MDR dress rules is to do as you wish following the rules, (not to make them up) and enjoy your cruise! I wear a jacket to the MDR dinner, and I never let it bother me what someone else wears! Actually there are some people who look better casually dressed then others all decked out!

That being said, there will always be cruisers that violate stated rules, and its up to the Cruise line to enforce the rules, and in reality from MDR dress to chair hogs, and everything in between, they usually don't! So my suggestion is don't loose any sleep over it, or let it ruin your cruise!

'why someone needs to break the rules at dinner in the MDR???

Are you talking about the Divina or in general?

The so called 'rules' the poster you responded to 'are not' the rules on the Divina as was pointed out!

As was stated, the MSC 'rules' are suggestions, not requirements on the Divina!

Other lines have requirements that may better suit your MDR dress desires!

As far as your view of what the rules 'should' be, I will not debate you, or anyone who feels the opposite way you do because everyone on Cruise Critic has the right to their views!

The MDR dress debate will never be solved, only argued on these forums! Its also apparent that most of the Cruise industry is moving towards relaxing the 'rules' on MDR dress! That will make some happy, and some unhappy!

My suggestion to those unhappy with the cruise industry trend to relaxing the MDR dress rules is to do as you wish following the rules, (not to make them up) and enjoy your cruise! I wear a jacket to the MDR dinner, and I never let it bother me what someone else wears! Actually there are some people who look better casually dressed then others all decked out!

That being said, there will always be cruisers that violate stated rules, and its up to the Cruise line to enforce the rules, and in reality from MDR dress to chair hogs, and everything in between, they usually don't! So my suggestion is don't loose any sleep over it, or let it ruin your cruise!

Please! Stop! Yelling! - :)

Thank you, well said. Some would advise others to break the rules, or "get away with" improper dress. While Divina is a tropical sailing, and dress is somewhat relaxed, dressing for dinner in the MDR should remain a tradition. Yes, it should.

There is so much good food at the buffet, Not so much

I just don't understand why someone needs to break the rules at dinner in the MDR. Human nature. Happens everywhere from MDR dress code to CC boards gudelines.

Don't worry and enjoy your cruise.

Enjoy your cruise, look forward to your review!:)

But beware the 'Dress Police'!:D

Haha! Thank you. I'm not sure I'm looking forward to creating a review with all the flamers ready to pounce, not that I am ever deterred from controversy. I will probably post a bit from the ship as we're cruising.

I will definitely take plenty of pictures, much to the rolling eyes of my husband and son who wonder why I have to take a picture of "every little thing" and "why do you need to take pictures of food?" Because I do, that's why. They know not to touch their food until its been photographed. LOL

About the dress "code". I don't *care* what people wear and I will have a perfectly TERRIFIC time no matter how other people dress or act. My comment about men wearing jackets was simply an observation. I really don't understand why a man has so much more of a problem with "dressing up" when all it takes is a jacket, yet women have to go through an entire overhaul to look dressed up. LOL At least I do!

Anyway - I'm SO excited to be starting our vacation on Saturday. We've had everything but the kitchen sink overflowing here this week. My dad is in the hospital with the flu and pneumonia (getting out tomorrow), my elderly mom relied on him for everything so I've been helping her and at this point, I feel like I've EARNED this one. Ooof. But first we have to drive from Clearwater to Orlando to pick our son up from an overnight volleyball tournament and then drive to the port from Orlando. We will ALL be ready for a great time come Saturday afternoon.

Well, I've mentally prepared myself for "hate" response posts but I'll put it out there regardless.

I booked my Divina cruise last June (2013) for a sailing this April (2014). I booked it under a little faith that the marketing and Sr. executives were serious when they claimed that their product was in line with Holland, Celebrity, etc.....not Carnival.

So I grabbed a Yacht Club stateroom at a price I thought was fair for what was included.

But lately, it seems all I keep encountering is comments from clients booking and ad's from the company with pricing in line with and less than Carnival. And to be honest, although this is snobby, I'm worried about the clientele and also the product now offered.

I previously cruised Celebrity, HAL, Disney, Princess, etc.....because of the more upscale perception.

I know I can "hide" in the Yacht Club, and I'll have a great time regardless, but it just makes me wonder. Where is MSC and the Divina going to land in terms of market position.

I happen to be one of the 'Carnival cruisers' who jumped at this low price but, I can understand your concern.

I have cruises mostly Carnival and RC and I have noticed that the port you leave from seems to make a difference for some reason. I've cruised out of many Florida ports (only florida ports) and the wildest crowds (heavy drinkers and extreme party folks) have been on cruises I have taken out of Miami, 2nd was Fort Lauderdale. When you cruise out of port Canaveral or Jacksonville ... The crowd seems more low key. I always assumed it was because the cruises were a bit cheaper out of Miami, and I assume that it being a more common destination flying to Miami is probably cheaper too.

I actually hesitated booking this cruise despite the price for that reason, But I figured that the price was so good it was worth the risk.

I am by no means a snob, and I don't have the money to go the more pricy cruise lines but even on the 'party ships' I still enjoy myself.

If jeans are not allowed in public areas then doesn't that mean they are not allowed in the MDR after 6pm?

Therefore no jeans or t shirts in the MDR is a rule, I would guess the suggestion is to assist those who are unsure what to wear. I agree tie is not required nor a jacket, why is is so difficult for nice pants and a collared shirt? I do agree that the rule of no jeans in any public area is a little harsh, but if that's the rule then I will follow because I booked this cruise knowing that was the rule.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If jeans are not allowed in public areas then doesn't that mean they are not allowed in the MDR after 6pm?

Therefore no jeans or t shirts in the MDR is a rule, I would guess the suggestion is to assist those who are unsure what to wear. I agree tie is not required nor a jacket, why is is so difficult for nice pants and a collared shirt? I do agree that the rule of no jeans in any public area is a little harsh, but if that's the rule then I will follow because I booked this cruise knowing that was the rule.

The daily says jeans are allowed and this is for the Caribbean cruises. If you think about it then your not allowed on any parts of the ship after 6 if you want to wear jeans or shorts. How would you go to the buffet and eat or go to the pool area?

Also do you know the pools are open later too, or they serve water at dinner, or there is no charge for room service. All these are different overseas. They have changed things for the american market.

Edited by Bosjoe

Russian bear was quoting from the website, so my reference was to his comment. As I stated I agree that jeans, shorts should be allowed but if the rule states none after 6 then I would be packed for that. Without these forums you can only base your pre plan on what is on the website. I'm glad you and others have been, I do prefer shorts after dinner, or when I'm only eating the buffet.

Russian bear was quoting from the website, so my reference was to his comment. As I stated I agree that jeans, shorts should be allowed but if the rule states none after 6 then I would be packed for that. Without these forums you can only base your pre plan on what is on the website. I'm glad you and others have been, I do prefer shorts after dinner, or when I'm only eating the buffet.

One of the first things I asked about back in January if jeans were being allowed in this forum, and i got the answer of yes. Then I booked the cruise. I too read from MSC webpage thats the reason why I asked. I would have not gone. Now I have booked my second cruise on a great price. I would recommend this ship for a change of pace. Its not for everyone, but I never saw it to the point where this is the worst cruise as some people make it out.

Edited by Bosjoe

bosjoe, I am excited for the cruise, I've been wanting to try them and the price sealed the deal to do it sooner rather than later. Yours was one of the reviews that I appreciated. Seemed very un biased. I do want something more along the lines of Celebrity than carnival for this trip, but either way I will have a blast. We have a group of 7 and 5 of us have traveled together in the past. If I could go in May I'd jump on with cruise guy, he seems like a lot of fun.