sold out vs wait list

oceandream

"Wait list" indicates that by virtue of their past experience, Oceania still expects that one or more of that Cabin Category will become available before the sailing date; "Sold Out" means that even those cabins which come back onto the market (via cancellations, or by other means) are already spoken for.

Once the Wait List gets to a certain size, O puts it as Sold Out.

However, as has been detailed in the Roll Calls, I'm not certain how much of this is marketing strategy to get one to say "Look! this cruise is selling out, we'd better make our reservations NOW!"

I've seen O cruises listed as sold out, taken down off the site, and then everything pop up as available on the boat, except maybe the OS, three months before sailing.

If there is a cruise you're really interested in, and have the flexibilility to schedule a cruise 60-100 days out, I'd say watch the site and let your TA know you want to do it, so to talk with O. Chances are overwhelmingly in your favor of getting on the ship in at least Concierge and perhaps PH. Below those rooms the odds increase yet again.

I've seen O cruises listed as sold out, taken down off the site, and then everything pop up as available on the boat, except maybe the OS, three months before sailing.

I have not seen them remove a cruise from the website

At 3 months out usually people either pay up or cancel so that may be why things seem to open up ;)

JMO

Lyn

That if the cruise you are booking is a composite of 2 or more shorter cruises, then do not expect any up-sells to higher grade cabins.

Book the cabin you want and forget about it....

People on wait lists, at the last min it clears do not get the cabin at a discount, they pay full rate.

The term Wait list and Upgrade and Up sell are NOT interchangeable; each is a separate entity totally un related.

Booked a cruise for January 2015 All category A and above where guarantee only.First time in 6 cruises that we didn't get a cabin #.

What is guarantee only? Sad though. Jan 15 is when the round world journey starts, was interested in a sector- is this the one?

What is guarantee only?

A "Guarantee" is where you buy onto the cruise at a specific price point, but leave your Cabin Assignment in the hands of the Cruise Line.

The Passenger is "guaranteed" a cabin at least as good as the level he bought in on.

The Cruise Line benefits from having the option of placing said passenger in more expensive, unsold accommodations if need be, thereby insuring that the less expensive, more easily sale-able cabins will continue to draw clients.

A true, win-win situation. :D

This is written on my invoice:

Category Priority Waitlist (s)

• # 5 - PH2-PENTHOUSE SUITE

• # 4 - PH3-PENTHOUSE SUITE

Please note that waitlists are cleared based on the promotional rates in effect at time of clearance.

Does that mean I'm 5th in line to the PH2 and 4th in the queue for PH3?

What is guarantee only? Sad though. Jan 15 is when the round world journey starts, was interested in a sector- is this the one?

It's the Miami to Lima January 16th,first leg of a 71 day Miami to Miami,on the Regatta.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a week ago I booked a cruise that was showing either wait list or sold out at every level below B3 verandah and above PH. Today everything is add to plan except the insides which are wait list, and the top suites which are sold out. It seems cabins have become available in almost every category.

I always thought sold out meant just that but obviously not.

Two years ago we had a guaranteed C2 on Regatta. The category showed up as wait list and we were given our cabin number a few weeks before we sailed in the category we'd booked. We didn't know when we booked it that is was a guarantee, which is why I'm using a different TA this time round! I don't mind the guaranteed cabin idea but wanted a cabin number this time.

Edited by SellaVee

Just a week ago I booked a cruise that was showing either wait list or sold out at every level below B3 verandah and above PH. Today everything is add to plan except the insides which are wait list, and the top suites which are sold out. It seems cabins have become available in almost every category.

I always thought sold out meant just that but obviously not.

Two years ago we had a guaranteed C2 on Regatta. The category showed up as wait list and we were given our cabin number a few weeks before we sailed in the category we'd booked. We didn't know when we booked it that is was a guarantee, which is why I'm using a different TA this time round! I don't mind the guaranteed cabin idea but wanted a cabin number this time.

Just for interest, is that 'empty' cruise at a particular point in it's timeline? Say 150 (15+ day cruises) or 90 days (<14 day cruises) before departure? Can it be that so many people pulled out before a penalty?

Yes, it's more than 4 months away so people can cancel without penalty, but I was surprised that so many categories that appeared sold out have suddenly become add to plan - though since yesterday one of them has sold out again. I'd have thought Oceania would have had the experience to get it right first time. Theses cabins didn't go from sold out to wait list which suggests a lot of people cancelling.

If there had been the availability when I booked I'd have chosen a lower category of cabin and saved some money, but I'm actually very pleased with the cabin we have so my attitude is c'est la vie! Someone else might feel differently.

It does suggest to me that if the cabin one wants is sold out it would be worth having a word with the TA.

Yes, it's more than 4 months away so people can cancel without penalty, but I was surprised that so many categories that appeared sold out have suddenly become add to plan - though since yesterday one of them has sold out again. I'd have thought Oceania would have had the experience to get it right first time. Theses cabins didn't go from sold out to wait list which suggests a lot of people cancelling.

If there had been the availability when I booked I'd have chosen a lower category of cabin and saved some money, but I'm actually very pleased with the cabin we have so my attitude is c'est la vie! Someone else might feel differently.

It does suggest to me that if the cabin one wants is sold out it would be worth having a word with the TA.

Was your cruise one of the ones where the itinerary changed?

They usually do not fluctuate that much unless some changes were made or a larger group cancelled freeing up cabins

You can always wait list for a different cabin Cat or ask your TA to keep an eye out if one of the sold out cat open up.

They may revert back to the waitlist not sure how that works

Just guessing on my part

Nope, no change of itinerary. It's a Med cruise starting in Istanbul. I did wonder if people were getting nervous about Turkey. That was the only thing I could think of.

I've just had an email from Windstar offering an excellent deal on a Black Sea cruise!! I'd love to try Star Pride but I'm giving this one a miss.

I'm happy with my cabin but I'm curious about how the whole thing works especially in the light of pinotlover's post above.

Once the Wait List gets to a certain size, O puts it as Sold Out.

However, as has been detailed in the Roll Calls, I'm not certain how much of this is marketing strategy to get one to say "Look! this cruise is selling out, we'd better make our reservations NOW!"

If there is a cruise you're really interested in, and have the flexibilility to schedule a cruise 60-100 days out, I'd say watch the site and let your TA know you want to do it, so to talk with O. Chances are overwhelmingly in your favor of getting on the ship in at least Concierge and perhaps PH. Below those rooms the odds increase yet again.

Sorry, I dont agree with your strategy..I have seen too many people closed out of cruises doing what you suggest..if someone wants a cruise..book it..

Jancruz1