Men's waterproof jacket suggestion

floralscent

I am looking for a waterproof rain jacket for my husband for our May Alaska cruise. We are looking to stay in the $50-60 range or less. DH is not a shopper so any research I can do prior to shopping day is MUCH appreciated. :)

Somewhere on these boards I found the suggestion for a womens waterproof jacket for me- Columbia Arcadia II jacket. I found one locally, it fits great and the price was around $45. Thanks for the great suggestion!

Good question! I,too, found a great Columbia jacket with a zip out lining, but hubby is a big boy....and we need a big jacket. We have a Columbia Sportswear outlet that we tried. No luck, unless we wanted to spend $180. Tried Bass Pro Shops. Going to Cabella's next. Hope someone has a good idea!

Any golf shop is going to have one that will work just fine, just get it big enough to put over layers, though they are usually roomy so that you can swing a club with them on.

Edited by zqvol

Good question! I,too, found a great Columbia jacket with a zip out lining, but hubby is a big boy....and we need a big jacket. We have a Columbia Sportswear outlet that we tried. No luck, unless we wanted to spend $180. Tried Bass Pro Shops. Going to Cabella's next. Hope someone has a good idea!

Yes, it's much easier if you fit into normal sizes. I'm "fluffy" but also quite busty, so it's hard to find jackets that actually zip up. Add to that the fact that I'm short and sleeves tend to be too long. I need a bigger jacket that has elastic or can be tightened (velcro) around the wrists so the sleeves don't hang way down. I got mine at Cabella's and it was closer to $100, but a good investment for me since I live in the Seattle area and use it regularly. Unfortunately, if you are looking for special sizes, you will have less selection and will probably pay more.

Another vote for the Columbia with the zip out linning it is 3 coats in one you will have it all covered. This is a good time to buy this coat end of winter (I hope) and all .Kohls is also a good place to look.

The LL Bean Stowaway jacket with Gortex is excellent...but is more expensive. The LL Bean Trail Model Rain jacket is also very good and less expensive. We were in Alaska in May--you will love it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Not sure where you are from, but I've only gone to Alaska twice (i'm from Canada) Last time was the two week cruise on the Amsterdam. A lot of rainy days and cold. Both Hubby and I used the following jacket. It was two fold, yes it is water proof the rain just beads off of it, and it also kept us warm. I think it depends on what type of activity you will be doing. When I was on one excursion it rained, so I used the cheap rain poncho I bought which helped with the legs as I was on top of the catamaran taking pictures… but didn't help much with the wind etc., but my hoodie kept my body nice and dry and warm.

http://www.marks.com/shop/en/marks-marksdefaultsalescatalog/full-zip-thermal-hoodie-20591

My DH and I just got 2 waterproof/warm coats at Sears. They are very thin but have the warmth. They are like a "bubble" jacket and they can fold up to the size of a small shirt or smaller. We got them on clearance and didn't pay over 30.00 for them.

Just picked up a rain jacket (with a hood) for DH yesterday at the Eddie Bauer store. Original price $70.00 less 25% = $52.50. Store had a coupon for $10.00 additional off. So price was $42.50 plus tax = $45.05. Had lots of different coloured jackets. Check them out.

Just got an email with this jacket on sale from Eddie Bauer: http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=45852&cm_mmc=email-_-140310-_-A-_-mrippac&j=4606716&e=tlassek@usa.net&l=112017_HTML&u=60060679&mid=1067029&jb=1125&cvosrc=email.exacttarget.marketing&smtrctid=406728496 and http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=45672&cm_mmc=email-_-140310-_-A-_-wrippac&j=4606716&e=tlassek@usa.net&l=112017_HTML&u=60060680&mid=1067029&jb=1125&cvosrc=email.exacttarget.marketing&smtrctid=406728496

Edited by Coral

Just picked up a rain jacket (with a hood) for DH yesterday at the Eddie Bauer store. Original price $70.00 less 25% = $52.50. Store had a coupon for $10.00 additional off. So price was $42.50 plus tax = $45.05. Had lots of different coloured jackets. Check them out.

I went and bought this jacket this morning. It is a nice jacket. I also got the extra $10 off. I mentioned it and the first person didn't think it applied but someone corrected her.

Yes, this is the same one that my DH got in the two toned grey colour. Glad to hear that you had success also. The women's version of this wasn't quite warm enough for me, as I feel the cold more and we are travelling to Alaksa June 1 - 8th. I did manage to pick up a nice women's waterproof jacket with a thin warm "fuzzy" type of lining at JC Penny's for $31.00 (including tax). Saw it online and had it shipped to their store. We are all set now in the waterproof jacket department.:D

I went and bought this jacket this morning. It is a nice jacket. I also got the extra $10 off. I mentioned it and the first person didn't think it applied but someone corrected her.

The salesperson also didn't think we would get the additional $10.00 off because we also got the 25% off of original price. Same as you, she checked and said yes to the additional $10.00. My motto is, "it never hurts to ask".

Yes, this is the same one that my DH got in the two toned grey colour. Glad to hear that you had success also. The women's version of this wasn't quite warm enough for me, as I feel the cold more and we are travelling to Alaksa June 1 - 8th. I did manage to pick up a nice women's waterproof jacket with a thin warm "fuzzy" type of lining at JC Penny's for $31.00 (including tax). Saw it online and had it shipped to their store. We are all set now in the waterproof jacket department.:D

I got the male blue two toned one (and am female). I was going to get the black but the sales person said the blue looked better on me.

I have another rain jacket from Lands End that I bring on Alaskan cruises. It is rubbery, heavy and warm. I like it for that reason.

This one from Eddie Bauer is not warm but it will serve a different purpose. I like that it is very light weight and will easily fold up and won't take any space to pack on any trip. This way, when it rains, I won't only have my heavy rain jacket.